Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Double Fine's latest game: Spacebase DF-9

nil

Cipher
So how's Massive Chalice coming along?
tumblr_mubb6rGL9n1syjjzpo1_1280.jpg

Here’s a silly whiteboard from our brainstorming session about the Immortal Ruler’s Adviser! This character will be the sole voice (or voices!) in MASSIVE CHALICE. We need something that is also immortal that can serve the player throughout the Epic Timeline of the game. What’s it going to be??? :D!

But how is that possible without another $3 million in funding!?!?

It isn't. That's just a mockup for their next kickstarter.

Actually I took that twitter link from MC kickstarter update #25, here is relevant part:
Hey MASSIVE CHALICE Backers!

Pre-production continues! Brad and John have been hammering out some awesome designs. Andy, Derek and Geoff have been making a whole lot of awesome art. Anthony has been building some insane production spreadsheets and you may have noticed that Chad got our engine up and running to start building MASSIVE CHALICE!

:troll:There are some other screenshots at http://blog.massivechalice.com/
I love how Bubbles made sarcastic post about 5+years before DF finishes any games and not only J_C brofisted it but people started arguing with it

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

aris

Arcane
  1. Man! Looks damn interesting!
  2. Like dungeon keeper meets theme hospital in space

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
I remember this game from Amnesia Fortnight. They had a prototype going a long time ago. Pretty neat idea if you enjoy Tropico clones.

Also, those of you saying that the Massive Chalice Kickstarter funded Broken Age: this company budgets every project independently. Their budgeting practices up to now have prohibited them from taking money from other projects and putting them in Broken Age.

However, sales from this game will probably go towards Broken Age.

Unwanted

Sycophantic Noob

Andhaira
Andhaira
I tried playing it but the game lacks content. There is simply nothing to do. You can build only the most basic buildings.You can't create anything other than the base itself. Building megaprojects plays a big part in Dwarf Fortress's popularity, so being unable to do it here I find it difficult to find enough incentive to expand my base. I stop at 10-12 dudes, a couple of basic rooms and that's it. There is also no point in building more rooms of the same type - there is one kind of oxygen recycler, one kind of bed, one kind of refinery.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I tried playing it but the game lacks content. There is simply nothing to do. You can build only the most basic buildings.You can't create anything other than the base itself. Building megaprojects plays a big part in Dwarf Fortress's popularity, so being unable to do it here I find it difficult to find enough incentive to expand my base. I stop at 10-12 dudes, a couple of basic rooms and that's it. There is also no point in building more rooms of the same type - there is one kind of oxygen recycler, one kind of bed, one kind of refinery.
You do know what alpha means, don't you?

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
anus_pounder was kind enough to buy me this game for knowing just when and where to say the word "penis." It is (surprise) a space station building game from Double Fine currently in alpha, and although it's still buggy and missing features that would make a lot of sense as of right now, I kind of like it.

You start off with a pod and three guys in spacesuits, and you have to select a section of the galaxy depending on factors like the chance to encounter derelict vessels and abundance of resources. Then you build rooms and fill them with stuff. Passing ships will show up and either offer to drop off people who want to stay or threaten you with plunder. So far, the options for what you can do are not that impressive, but it's likely that there's a lot more content on the way. It's a fairly new game, and there's only been one monthly alpha update (barring a smaller patch or two), but it apparently introduced a few kinds of zones you can use, as well as basically the entire food and hunger mechanic. If this kind of content update is likely to happen every month, there's a lot on the way.

Plenty of bugs and unfinished features, though. I'm supposed to report them on the Double Fine forum, but I signed up for an account and still can't post. I probably have to wait a while or something.

The first time I made a base, all my crew members asphyxiated because they were too intent on either doing their jobs or just floating in space without taking any breaks to go inside and actually replenish their air. I tried again, though, and they don't do that this time.

Sometimes, crew members will just disappear for me. I think this might have to do with incoming ships who want to drop off new guys, because at one point I allowed a ship to drop off two guys when I had three already, and my roster stayed at three, and there was no record of the loss of the two crewmen who disappeared all of a sudden.

Tutorials are still a little foggy. When I was first attacked by a raider, he attached his ship to a random wall in my pub and walked on board. When I took care of him, I didn't know how to get on his ship, which was taking up space on the map but was covered in a fog of war sort of thing. As it turned out, when a derelict ship appeared later, a hint popped up describing how to use a waypoint tool that I could use to have my security guys explore it cautiously. This let me board later hostile ships that tried to attack me, but by that time I had already demolished the first one for resources (except for the floors, which remained oddly intact).

The way demolishing raiders is kind of broken also killed one of my guys. He went through the doorway leading to the floor (without any walls surrounding it) that was still there and just stood there until he asphyxiated. Interesting...

Corpses also seem to just stay where they are, and there's nothing you can do with them yet. This may have to do with the fact that there's no sickbay/morgue zone yet, when presumably that's something you'd have planned for a game like this. Eventually the deads disappeared, but their bloodstains stayed anyway.

7FB5164C122763766328DC369186168F05E3C4C6

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom