Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Double Fine's latest game: Spacebase DF-9

Dexter

Arcane
Oh boy, look it's this shit again... studio delays game to put a lot more work into it for several months and is honest about why it happened instead of PR-y like absolutely everyone else (including inXile and Obsidian) and everybody goes full retard.

Fuck them trying to make some cool games that nobody else is doing since 2001, they delayed a game which has happened to every single one of their previous games and were honest about the reasons why, they can absolutely not be trusted and need to rot in hell! trololo blargh

:mhd::mob::mhd:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh boy, look it's this shit again... studio delays game to put a lot more work into it for several months and is honest about why it happened instead of PR-y like absolutely everyone else (including inXile and Obsidian) and everybody goes full retard.

Fuck them trying to make some cool games that nobody else is doing since 2001, they delayed a game which has happened to every single one of their previous games and were honest about the reasons why, they can absolutely not be trusted and need to rot in hell! trololo blargh

:mhd::mob::mhd:
I don't get it. True, they mismanaged Broken Age. While i don't think that the problem is as big as some people claim here, they made errors in their management. Give them hell, I understand it. But why people want them to go out of business? Great, one less studio which makes interesting games. Maybe not games you like, but puzzle, adventure and hybrid games, which are rare on today's market.

Here is Spacebase DF-9. What is the first reaction to the announcement? Meh, this is just like Startopia with Theme Hospital engine? Umm, how many spacebase management games exist today? One? Oh, than making another is totally useless. But give me 10 more generic FPS games please. Not to mention that the other reaction is that the graphics are too simplistic. Good job for constantly being graphic whores, Codex.

dehimos

Augur
No, they have to rot in hell for insulting God Made Man, Lord of the Mountain, Toady.

dehimos

Augur
No, they have to rot in hell for insulting God Made Man, Lord of the Mountain, Toady.
What did they say about him? I'm interested in the exact words.

Nothing important. The project lead said Toady is a Notch, he came first.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...e-fines-sci-fi-dwarf-fortress-spacebase-df-9/ (link is in the first post)

In Dwarf Fortress’ case, it was kind of the Minecraft factor too. The person who did it first did it first, and the people who made subsequent games like it are digging around for their own takes on it. And also, if you’re a guy in the middle of Kansas or wherever Dwarf Fortress’ creator is and you really do have ten years to spend embroidering a game with this absurd level of simulation complexity, you can do so much

I mean, I found out about Dwarf Fortress in 2007 and first started playing it in 2008. It was still at an early point there. Since then, it’s [gone much further]. It recently got written up by The New York Times and went into a museum exhibit. So in a lot of simulation games, the developer just needs time to develop stuff. It’s weird. It’s kind of this Sistine-Chapel-like labor where, every day, you add some little new thing to the game. Some wrinkles to it. And interesting little stories can fall out of those wrinkles.

Destroid

Arcane

He could have chosen his words a little more carefully there, but it's obvious he really likes the work Toady has done, even if he doesn't share the same values.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Interesting concept and that's about it. Can't indies atleast pretend to polish their product somewhat? 90's pixel graphics everywhere is getting old.
ALPHA1 stage. What do you expect? DF usually makes nice graphics, so I doubt that the final version will be like this.

Not realy an indie if made by DF.
What's an indie? A studio with 2 people, or an independent (hence the name "indie") studio. If the latter, DF is just that.

Unwanted

Hornawkawk

Unwanted
Since there are 'indie' EA games, the word has lost its meaning over the years completely.

Destroid

Arcane
Perhaps the term should be applied to games and studios separately - indie studio is independently owned, indie game is made by an independent studio without influence from an external entity like a publisher.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Perhaps the term should be applied to games and studios separately - indie studio is independently owned, indie game is made by an independent studio without influence from an external entity like a publisher.
Well this game is indie in both ways, according to this.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Well this game is indie in both ways, according to this.
You are the expert ... in both ways ...
:dance:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Don't mock me boy, my expertise is unprecedental when it comes to Double Fine. :martini:

knightley

Educated
F**k. They run out of money again?

P.S: To be fair, the screenshots looks mildly interesting. Look like they are jumping on the dwarf fortress train.

For a well established game company, being "indie" and "we hate publishers that's why we take their money" are just not cool enough anymore. :bounce:

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
So how's Massive Chalice coming along?
tumblr_mubb6rGL9n1syjjzpo1_1280.jpg

Here’s a silly whiteboard from our brainstorming session about the Immortal Ruler’s Adviser! This character will be the sole voice (or voices!) in MASSIVE CHALICE. We need something that is also immortal that can serve the player throughout the Epic Timeline of the game. What’s it going to be??? :D!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So how's Massive Chalice coming along?
tumblr_mubb6rGL9n1syjjzpo1_1280.jpg

Here’s a silly whiteboard from our brainstorming session about the Immortal Ruler’s Adviser! This character will be the sole voice (or voices!) in MASSIVE CHALICE. We need something that is also immortal that can serve the player throughout the Epic Timeline of the game. What’s it going to be??? :D!

But how is that possible without another $3 million in funding!?!?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom