Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Does a game really "suck" if you spend 100 hours on it?

T. Reich

Arcane
ITT decline enablers try and fail to rationalise their unhealthy obsessions with shitty games.

T. Reich

Arcane
Do you know any flawless game?
No but a game doesn't have to be flawless for me to enjoy it, far from it.
Exactly. Which means you can enjoy the funny/engaging parts whilst shitting on those flawed things passionately.

Except the tards always shit on the whole game, and claim it's one big decline, without ever referring to the parts they enjoyed, if they enjoyed any, during their 1000-hour stint with said game.

Last edited:

zero29

Arbiter
I'm seriously not getting the hatred for CoD4. It's been, for years, the only valid alternative to CS/CS:S, it delivered a simple yet brilliant gameplay style, it introduced a handful of perks and killstreak rewards without going full-retard like MW2 or BO did, and dropped onto the community some epic multiplayer maps (crash, strike), which FPS aficionados still remember (and play) with fondness. furthermore, additional maps were FREE, and it did feature PunkBuster, which was far from perfect or 100% effective, but whose dismissal opened the gate of hell to cheaters. Weapon, skill and class balance was also top-notch (unlike, I dunno, CS:S and especially CS:GO). On top of it, it's still got a fairly decent player and server base.

The fact that most of you morons don't like it just further proves that:

1.you're newfags;
2.you cannot into FPS because they're too ableist;
3.you're most likely consoletards who prefer halo or BO or whatever you faggots play these days.

Instead of replying, feel free to rant about it on your dumblr accounts, I got you on ignore anyway.
dude, you just called people consoletards for NOT liking CoD4. even by codex standards that's an awesome level of retardation. last good cs was 1.5 and the only reason to play CoD were the sp campaigns of 1+2. seriously, perks and killstreak rewards? the only valid alternative was ut 2004, cause it's a pure, silly, over-the-top fun-shooter. oh, and battlefield vietnam, ofc. CoD4 FPS aficionados :hahano:

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter

Haha. It is well known fact in PC Gaming that half the players are at least retards and as a subset of that - half this forum must be. In fact - since I been on this forum "retard" is one of the kinder things said about posters.

Back on topic - I dunno if it has been mentioned thus far about the larger prominent titles which have a crap load of content and it may take a long long time to get anywhere and explore all aspects of the game before you can decide whether it is crap or not.

What would be interesting to see what people think about the crappiest game x longest time played equation.

From memory and not scientific (ratings out of 10 for example). Using actual Steam figures on playtime but the crapness rating is mine.

Alpha Protocol

10 crapness and 4 time played = hypocrite rating of 40

Witcher 1

7 crapness and 6 time played = 42 rating

Kings Bounty WoTN

6 crapness and 10 time played = 60 rating

Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition

7 crapness and 7 time played = 49 rating

DarkStar One

7 crapness and 7 time played = 49 rating

I pose then that the phenomena of playing a game over 100 hours and then calling it crap would normally happen with a crap game that has some decent elements to it. A totally crap game like AP would never reach over 20-25 hour mark.

Renevent

Cipher
I'm seriously not getting the hatred for CoD4. It's been, for years, the only valid alternative to CS/CS:S, it delivered a simple yet brilliant gameplay style, it introduced a handful of perks and killstreak rewards without going full-retard like MW2 or BO did, and dropped onto the community some epic multiplayer maps (crash, strike), which FPS aficionados still remember (and play) with fondness. furthermore, additional maps were FREE, and it did feature PunkBuster, which was far from perfect or 100% effective, but whose dismissal opened the gate of hell to cheaters. Weapon, skill and class balance was also top-notch (unlike, I dunno, CS:S and especially CS:GO). On top of it, it's still got a fairly decent player and server base.

The fact that most of you morons don't like it just further proves that:

1.you're newfags;
2.you cannot into FPS because they're too ableist;
3.you're most likely consoletards who prefer halo or BO or whatever you faggots play these days.

Instead of replying, feel free to rant about it on your dumblr accounts, I got you on ignore anyway.
dude, you just called people consoletards for NOT liking CoD4. even by codex standards that's an awesome level of retardation. last good cs was 1.5 and the only reason to play CoD were the sp campaigns of 1+2. seriously, perks and killstreak rewards? the only valid alternative was ut 2004, cause it's a pure, silly, over-the-top fun-shooter. oh, and battlefield vietnam, ofc. CoD4 FPS aficionados :hahano:

I didn't think BF: Vietnam was great as a sequel, but god damn jumping into a Jeep with a buddy, turning on Fortunate Son, and driving off to fight some VC was fan-freaking-tastic! Best game soundtrack in history :D

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
W:ET with ETPro was still better than any CoD or BF. :obviously:

Too bad 99 % of the player base played on 50 man servers with half of the players using panzerfaust or rifle grenade.

pippin

Calm down, men. The Inquisition is not going to burn you at the stake for playing Huniepop for 100 hours.

Kuhrazy

Educated
Spending all your time and money on things you hate is like the definitive nerd trait. "Episode 7 looks so shitty that I'm not even going to buy all the variant covers of the novelization! Suck it, Di$ney!"

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Jools
U don't like CoD4 because
3.you're most likely consoletards

Sorry but what?
People hate console shooter becauce it's console shooter?

Actually where did you saw the hate on CoD4? I don't remember any, but CoD MW2? Yes, including
18j48weujcgewjpg.jpg

Seems like the people went deep into the cesspool they don't remember when it actually started...
If they don't remember when this shit started - any discussion might be pointless at this point.

Declinator

Arbiter
Seems like the people went deep into the cesspool they don't remember when it actually started...
If they don't remember when this shit started - any discussion might be pointless at this point.

It started before CoD 4:

-CoD 1 already had aiming down sights (yes, it's a bad thing.)
-CoD 2 already had health regen

Though CoD 4 is not exactly blameless:

-Has a separate sprinting button
-Introduced perks/ranks etc.
-Rewards for kill streaks

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Exactly. Which means you can enjoy the funny/engaging parts whilst shitting on those flawed things passionately.

Shitting on the parts of the game you don't enjoy =/ saying the game is shit, there's an important and clear difference.

I don't care if it's something as rudimentary as graphics and ease of use, there's something that drew you in repeatedly to sink so many hours in it. If you're being honest with yourself you'll identify what that is instead of hiding behind some edgy crap like "I played it 7 times/400 hours just to see how shit it is lol".

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
I like to watch obscure 70/80s movies. Most of the time these suck bollocks but they also provide entertainment value at some nerd/geek level. Movies are the only form of entertainment where this works for me though.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
I like to watch obscure 70/80s movies. Most of the time these suck bollocks but they also provide entertainment value at some nerd/geek level. Movies are the only form of entertainment where this works for me though.

I have a great desire for old asian kung fu / fighting movies. Some of them are really cheesy and ridiculous but somehow I really like to watch them.

MilesBeyond

Cipher

I have a great desire for old asian kung fu / fighting movies. Some of them are really cheesy and ridiculous but somehow I really like to watch them.

Exactly. You can enjoy things without thinking it's good. Or perhaps more accurately, you can appreciate things for being good in some ways, even if they suck in other ways. Anchorman is one of my favourite movies but I'm not going to start arguing that it should have been film of the year or whatever.

I mean, taste is largely subjective, but always within a framework that's mostly objective. In other words, you can easily make objective statements about the game, you just can't assign those statements a universal value. PS:T focuses more on plot and C&C than IWD does. This is not an opinion. It's a fact. Whether it makes PS:T a better game or not is an opinion.

So we do this thing called cultivating a taste where we play a bunch of games and find out which ones we really like and which ones we don't and look at the objective statements we can make about each of those games and kind of hammer that together into some sort of rough framework for "This is what I look for in a game." But every once in a while something comes along that completely blows our framework apart. It's completely different, or maybe the exact opposite, of what we normally like in a game. And yet we love it. I mean, for example, I'm a TBS fanatic. If you came up to me and pitched me a game that said "Well, it really caters to a more casual market. It's kind of strategy, but it's also probably equal parts arcade and dexterity. It's extremely simple and basically anyone can pick up and play it" I'd be like "Hell no that sounds like the last game I want to play." And yet the game I was describing there is Worms Armageddon, one of my absolute favourite games.

So it's like we establish what we want in a game, we campaign for that, we criticize games that don't have it, and then we find a game that doesn't have it that we nevertheless end up loving immensely. That's a guilty pleasure.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Didn't read the last six pages. The answer is: no. If someone keeps playing for that long then, in their estimation, the game does not suck.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Most hours I have in a terrible game I loathed is 12ish for Arcania. I pressed through to give it a fair shake but it's truly awful.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I think you can drop a lot of time into a game in the hopes that it'll get better at some point. It's usually a bit of fire kindled by money spent and the desire for the game itself to be good.

I put 41hrs into Pillars of Eternity per Steam and I didn't especially care for it; I was just giving it space to show me something and it just never really took off.

I also put 40hrs into Empire: Total War. $50 at release purchase. Again, same thing. I desperately wanted a good, 18th century Total War game. That game is so bad, though, that I haven't bought a CA title since.

M0RBUS

Augur
I played Oblivion for well above 100h when it was released.
Then I grew the fuck up and realized it's shit. I played like 3 or 4 hours after that.

Sometimes games are turning points. It's like fanatic WoW players who just open their eyes after hundreds of hours poured into the game, and then their opinions CHANGE.

Yeah, I think "change" is the most important word sometimes. I've watched every single episode of the Dragon Ball saga. It sucks balls. But when I was watching it for the first time, it didn't.
Why? Because I was 12 and a dumb moron.

I'm still a dumb moron most likely, but I'm more than twice that age.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom