Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Does a game really "suck" if you spend 100 hours on it?

bminorkey

Just been thinking. A lot of people are shitting on AAA titles like DA:I, Skyrim, et cetera despite having obviously played them for a billion hours. Many people who shit on F:NV here have played it for more hours than F2. I get that those games from a design perspective are really awful, and certainly, the fact you spent 100 hours on Skyrim doesn't mean you think it's time well-spent or necessitates that Skyrim is a *good* game, but can you really say a game you spent 100 hours on *sucks*? At the very least it succeeded in sucking you in to play for that long. Seems hypocritical to me, idk.

Also I've been recommended to post this picture here.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
You can't shit on a game without playing it for 100 hours first. On a serious note, whoever played DA:I for 100 hours has to have brain damage.

picture

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
If you spend 100 hours on a game, you obviously find it enjoyable. But there are games, like Skyrim, that are too flawed and annoying when playing them vanilla, but with right mods can be very enjoyable. So, it isn't necessarily wrong to spend a lot of time on a game and call it shitty if it's fun only when heavily modded.

Then there are of course the Kodex Kool Kids who shit on every popular game for the sake of being hardcore, while secretly enjoying said games.

Mortmal

Arcane
Yes ! Another great post from another quality poster
I have a funny nigger pic too:
QByCPc1.jpg

Sheeeet Nivea yoghurt aren't tasty!!!!!

Nas92

Augur
The fact is, a game like Skyrim should be able to entertain you for several hundred hours without any mods. I played vanilla Morrowind for several hundred hours and still was only a little bored. I played Skyrim for 100 hours and then I had to start looking for mods, played another 15, and realised that not even mods can save this game.

On another note, who here shits on NV? I thought that was incline, or at the very least "good for what it is."

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Just been thinking. A lot of people are shitting on AAA titles like DA:I, Skyrim, et cetera despite having obviously played them for a billion hours. Many people who shit on F:NV here have played it for more hours than F2. I get that those games from a design perspective are really awful, and certainly, the fact you spent 100 hours on Skyrim doesn't mean you think it's time well-spent or necessitates that Skyrim is a *good* game, but can you really say a game you spent 100 hours on *sucks*? At the very least it succeeded in sucking you in to play for that long. Seems hypocritical to me, idk.

Also I've been recommended to post this picture here.

If you spend 100+ hours on a game, you either enjoy it a lot or you're a masochist, there's no middle ground really (no matter what sort of lies you write on the forum afterwards for KKK). Now whether it sucks is a different question entirely, many games can be mediocre to terrible in most areas but have that one thing that keeps you glued on (great mechanics, writing, exploration, graphics, C&C etc.), a lot of it depends on your taste/preference obviously (or even your current mood).

bminorkey

The real question is how many hours bminorkey spent on Oblivion.

I don't think I finished the main quest but I spent like a shitload of time downloading mods to customize my house and moving my companions in there. Also I downloaded a marriage mod and I ended up using it to marry an Argonian with exquisite taste in armor so I could undress him and take his loot.

I guess I kind of shitplayed it yeah.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Reply to the OP: welcome to the Codex.

OTOH, after 100+ hours even a seemingly enjoyable game starts to show its flaws, so one is "more entitled" and has more knowledge to base their shit-tossing on.

For all the people who prefer cats to tits, I hope your tiny cocks rot and fall off. Especially you, Ulminati , I had you down for a cool guy.

Hot-Redhead-Teen-With-Huge-Boobs.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
The fact is, a game like Skyrim should be able to entertain you for several hundred hours without any mods. I played vanilla Morrowind for several hundred hours and still was only a little bored. I played Skyrim for 100 hours and then I had to start looking for mods, played another 15, and realised that not even mods can save this game.

Save it from what? You spending another 100 hours on it?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
You might still dislike a game, even if you have spent 100 hours playing it.

It is stupid to waste so much time on an activity you do not really enjoy, but something being stupid rarely stops people from doing it - often they think they do not have anything better to do. In reality they are just too lazy to look for something more interesting.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
You might still dislike a game, even if you have spent 100 hours playing it.

How exactly? From all available alternatives you chose to spend your free time on it, what do you get out if it if not enjoyment? Actions are what counts, not empty words.

Absinthe

Arcane
Does a game really "suck" if you spend 100 hours on it? Final Fantasy 13 players would say the answer is "Yes."

Last edited:

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Skyrim has this weird phenomenon where you play it for hours (I think I have around ~70 under my belt, which is very much by my standards) and only realize afterwards what a bland experience you just had. It's like cotton candy. you are all excited about eating it but once you finished, you notice how it consisted just of a single real ingredient, some fancy color and lots of hot air.
Overall I enjoyed most of my time with skyrim and I don't regret having bought the game, but unlike the other games I invested more than 50 hours into, I probably won't feel the urge to touch it again anytime soon.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
There is no way you can play 70h of a game without getting any enjoyment out of it. I can buy 30h, but certainly not 70.

Vikter

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
There may be different reasons for someone to spend 100 hours on a game that sucks:
  • They actually like it;
  • They acknowledge the game is shit but still have fun;
  • They are completionists;
  • They want to have a funny dank review on Steam which says something like "its ok 10/10";
  • It's a Bioware game.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yes, because people can like shit they know objectively sucks. I love trashy 80s action flicks, and think they're awesome, but actually... many of them suck. I've played games that I thought sucked, because I had nothing better to do and still got some enjoyment out of them. Sometimes it can be nice to waste time on such shit.

valcik

Arcane
.. From all available alternatives you chose to spend your free time on it, what do you get out if it if not enjoyment?
Do you know any flawless game? I don't, there are some parts (mechanics, plot holes, silly quests, stupid story arc..) which somehow sucks in all of them. If you are going to play vidya game for 100% pure enjoyment, I've got a bad news for you.

Here you go for obligatory picture: http://i.imgur.com/iSN0CD3.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom