Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you like Homeworld?

Shoelip

Arbiter
I found it! I let my dad borrow it, and he took it to work, then after he eventually stopped playing it he forgot it was there.

It's weird though. He usually doesn't remember anything about games he hasn't played in a while but he actually remembers more about Homeworld than I do. He even beat the game multiple times apparently.

Hm... playing it again, is it just me or is this game harder than most recent RTS games?

Herbert West

Arbiter
Shoelip said:
Hm... playing it again, is it just me or is this game harder than most recent RTS games?
Oh yes it is! There's only one difficulty level and it's hard, apparently :wink:

Shoelip

Arbiter
Yay I finally beat back those Kadesh loonies! Now I can get out of this damn nebula! Hyperspace jump! I'm fr- hey, why is the "sky" still all glowy? Oh shit!

fastpunk

Arbiter
Question for the people who played H1+Cataclysm:

Is H1+Cataclysm harder than H2?

I only played H2 and it was pretty hard but I liked it. So I want to pick up the first one too and was curious about this issue.

Herbert West

Arbiter
Cataclysm has difficulty settings. The easiest is so easy it's not worth the bother, and I don't know if the hardest is as hard as HW1 or 2. Both HW1 and HW2 can seriously kick your ass but it's hard to say which one is more difficult.

DraQ

Arcane
Shoelip said:
Yay I finally beat back those Kadesh loonies! Now I can get out of this damn nebula! Hyperspace jump! I'm fr- hey, why is the "sky" still all glowy? Oh shit!
x] Fond memories...

fastpunk said:
Question for the people who played H1+Cataclysm:

Is H1+Cataclysm harder than H2?

I only played H2 and it was pretty hard but I liked it. So I want to pick up the first one too and was curious about this issue.
HW2 had obnoxious amounts of difficulty scaling, so if you play well, HW2 will assrape you with impossible shitloads of enemy units. I did sweat my ass off in one of the earlier missions in HW2, completed it almost flawlessly, then huge enemy fleet simply steamrolled my forces :x and I had to cheat. Later on I discovered, that playing the earlier mission lousily yielded easily defeatable enemy forces. HW1 was more of a conventionally hard game - it was hard allright, but didn't punish you for being good. HW:C was, IIRC, easier than HW1.

Also, HW1 has awesome story, atmosphere and everything - there was much dismay after those things were raped in HW2.

Shoelip

Arbiter
One thing it unfortunately did not have was good voice acting.

"Mothership... This is Kar-Selim, abort Hyperdrive test... Repeat... Abort Hyperdrive test... What? Are we being killed? Oh, you wouldn't know it from the complete lack of emotion in my voice..."

Letum Fol

Novice
MaskedMartyr said:
Since I'm almost poor and my desktop with a fucking Radeon HD 3870 met a rather large stone object and ripped apart half a year back, I've been forced to using my laptop's Intel integrated. I downloaded the driver updates and now I can't play Homeworld 2.

Fuck you Intel, and your bullshit octocore technology.

You should be able to play both Homeworlds on your laptop. I have a really shitty laptop from 2002 with an Intel chip and I just loaded up HW2 on it. Worked pretty much no problem with everything on high.

I actually never knew there were homeworld mods. Any good ones I should check out.

Shoelip

Arbiter
http://www.moddb.com/games/homeworld-2/mods

Battlestar Galactica mod is supposedly really good.

I've also heard good things about the Point Defense mod and the Complex mod seems interesting.

Or did you mean HW1? ModDB only has like, one completed mod for that. A Star Trek mod.

fastpunk

Arbiter
DraQ said:
HW2 had obnoxious amounts of difficulty scaling, so if you play well, HW2 will assrape you with impossible shitloads of enemy units. I did sweat my ass off in one of the earlier missions in HW2, completed it almost flawlessly, then huge enemy fleet simply steamrolled my forces :x and I had to cheat. Later on I discovered, that playing the earlier mission lousily yielded easily defeatable enemy forces. HW1 was more of a conventionally hard game - it was hard allright, but didn't punish you for being good. HW:C was, IIRC, easier than HW1.

That explains why I got owned so bad a couple of times. It felt like the game was always one step ahead. Isn't there a mod that can fix this somehow?

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
Letum Fol said:
MaskedMartyr said:
Since I'm almost poor and my desktop with a fucking Radeon HD 3870 met a rather large stone object and ripped apart half a year back, I've been forced to using my laptop's Intel integrated. I downloaded the driver updates and now I can't play Homeworld 2.

Fuck you Intel, and your bullshit octocore technology.

You should be able to play both Homeworlds on your laptop. I have a really shitty laptop from 2002 with an Intel chip and I just loaded up HW2 on it. Worked pretty much no problem with everything on high.

I actually never knew there were homeworld mods. Any good ones I should check out.

Don't download the driver update for your Intel integrated gfx then.

DraQ

Arcane
Shoelip said:
One thing it unfortunately did not have was good voice acting.

"Mothership... This is Kar-Selim, abort Hyperdrive test... Repeat... Abort Hyperdrive test... What? Are we being killed? Oh, you wouldn't know it from the complete lack of emotion in my voice..."
Fuck you. It had perfect voice acting, it just didn't bristle with emotions. Fleet Intelligence trying-to-stay-calm/cool-and-*almost*-succeeding-voice in mission 3 is definite proof of that.

Severian Silk

I didn't find any of the HW games particularly hard. I've lost lots of games on multiplayer though.

MetalCraze

Arcane
HW2 is the hardest of them. Mostly because of the retarded design. Somehow Relic decided that it is fun to throw 100-200 ships at a player in the first minutes of every mission past 3rd.
HW1 however has the best design choices when it comes to balance. The game is relatively easy if you don't wank instead of actually doing something.
Cataclysm is just "build moar dreadnoughts"

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
skyway said:
At least in the last mission you get a slap in the cheek that says - "You're doing it wrong moron!"

DraQ

Arcane
skyway said:
HW1 however has the best design choices when it comes to balance. The game is relatively easy if you <s>don't wank instead of actually doing something</s> use salvettes moar.
Fix'd. :D

Which sucks.

WhiskeyWolf said:
At least in the last mission you get a slap in the cheek that says - "You're doing it wrong moron!"
You mean "build moar super-acolytes"?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Beat Homeworld Cataclysm, except for that one mission that game is pretty easy. Right now in HW1 I'm at the mission with the Junkyard Dog and I'm a bit stumped.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Too bad you've played Cataclysm first. Original Homeworld is the best one and playing it after the following parts will ruin the whole mystery of Kushan travell - one of the most interesting parts of HW.

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
Homeworld was pretty awesome, finished it a few times. Never got the sequel to work, though.. It would just crash to desktop after the opening cinematic where you're introduced to your loveboat. Probably a common problem with an easy workaround, but ehhh

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
skyway said:
Too bad you've played Cataclysm first. Original Homeworld is the best one and playing it after the following parts will ruin the whole mystery of Kushan travell - one of the most interesting parts of HW.
Who told you I played Cataclysm first? These games are not new to me. I'd never played Cataclysm until just now, so I played it last.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom