Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Shadenuat

Arcane
Witch book is underwhelming, it's like playing Shadowrun with only boring debuffs. You'd think developers would learn how to make proper curse-characters after Diablo 2. I am waiting for her skeleton summon.
The Witch' LVL1 buff also applies to spells
:what::avatard:

...higher spells, eh... they are mostly gimmicky spells like AoE terror. I did not see anything that impressive for her lvl 10-12 spells, I carry the books and wait to learn them.

Last edited:

Suicidal

Arcane
Serious reviewers? :D
Anyway, that CE soundtrack isn't even the full soundtrack- it doesn't have many tracks, such as that one battle theme that makes my dick hard. The fuck, Larian?

You can download a .wem to .ogg converter and rip all the music tracks from the game's data folder.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
How come there are still no critic reviews save for that one from mmorpg.com?

A person on Neogaf mentioned that review codes were apparently only sent out two days ago (on the release day). So it'll take some time.

(The mmorpg review is that of the beta, I believe.)

6-7 hours is more than enough time for every major site to do a review of an RPG, in fact its twice as much as they would normally need.

Arkeus

Arcane
Maybe they got addicted to digging graves.
In my head it's either "they don't plan on making reviews at all", which would be quite assholish, and prove that, well, they work on Doritos, or "I can't stop playing", which i would totally understand.

I am hoping it's the latter.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
You can preread all reviews here:

"This is not Dragon Age, 8/10 if you like the genre and like to be bothered to invest the time."

and the rogue Eurogamer review

"This is not Baldur's Gate or Dragon Age, 4/10 if you like the genre and like to be bothered to invest the time."

and the Polygon review

"This is not Dragon Age, 4/10 because interface isn't as quirky as ours."

"This is not Dragon Age, 6/10 because interface isn't as quirky as ours. Seems to be selling well."

"This is not Dragon Age, 5/10 because interface isn't as quirky as ours. New Bioware RPG aproaching."

"This is not Dragon Age, 2/10 because interface isn't as quirky as ours. Whore shafted me last night, I'm in a bad mood."

"This is not Dragon Age, 10/10 we said it was an all time classic all along."

and the kotaku review

"This is not Dragon Age, 2/10 because you cannot gay romance. Extra point for fixing midriff art on KS campaign."

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
Serious reviewers? :D
Anyway, that CE soundtrack isn't even the full soundtrack- it doesn't have many tracks, such as that one battle theme that makes my dick hard. The fuck, Larian?

You can download a .wem to .ogg converter and rip all the music tracks from the game's data folder.
Thanks brah!

Weasel
How come there are still no critic reviews save for that one from mmorpg.com?

A person on Neogaf mentioned that review codes were apparently only sent out two days ago (on the release day). So it'll take some time.

(The mmorpg review is that of the beta, I believe.)

6-7 hours is more than enough time for every major site to do a review of an RPG, in fact its twice as much as they would normally need.
Indeed. Which also proves how monocled 'Attack of the Fanboy' are, as they infamously spent an entire 9 hours on AOD before deciding it was too hard.

I await their review of DOS with interest.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Hey, bros. Even if you are not a person who read manuals, read this foreword by Swen Vincke from the manual.

Dear Player,

My name is Swen Vincke, and I’m the founder of Larian Studios. It’s a tradition that I write the foreword to our games, and I have to tell you, in this particular case I feel very honored to do just that. Divinity: Original Sin is the type of RPG for which Larian Studios was created, and its release feels, for me, momentous.

It’s an RPG that mixes narrative with sandbox mechanics, offers a varied environment to explore, and continously motivates you to develop your character. It features tactical combat and interesting situations, both of which constantly challenge you to think. Hopefully, it also makes you smile. You can play it with a friend, a loved one, or even a stranger, and because it runs well on laptops, you can play it pretty much anywhere.

In short, it offers you the experience you get when playing a pen & paper RPG in the hands of a good dungeon master, and that’s exactly what I was hoping for when we embarked on the adventure that was the development of this game.

It’s fair to say that we probably wouldn’t have managed to fulfill my ambition if it weren’t for the 70,000 people who have been giving us feedback, criticism and moral support via Kickstarter and Steam Early Access.

So if you are one of our backers, thank you, thank you, thank you! I can’t say it enough. Your support has been nothing short of phenomenal and we count ourselves very blessed to have such dedicated and vocal fans.

We included with the game the Divinity Engine toolset, which we used to make Divinity: Original Sin. Our hope is that among you are dungeon masters who’ll use it to craft new RPG adventures. Because it’s the same toolset we used, you’ll be able to rework any mechanics, art, or assets you saw in-game into your own adventures, and I honestly can’t wait to see what you’ll come up with.

One of the things for which I’ve silently been hoping since we started development on this game is that my wife and I would eventually be able to play new stories with unknown endings. I’ve seen other couples play our game and was slightly jealous of them having so much fun as they discovered Rivellon’s secrets.

I’m extremely proud of the team that made Divinity: Original Sin. They put their hearts and souls into this game, and it shows. There’s much more in this game than one would expect considering the small size of our team. Personally, I think this is the best RPG we’ve created so far.

On behalf of our entire team, I want to thank you for buying our game. You are supporting us in doing the job we love, and we hope you’ll have loads of fun playing Divinity: Original Sin. We certainly had fun making it.

Do let us know what you think on our forums at www.larian.com/forums.

I assure you, we read it all.

Warm regards,

Swen Vincke

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
The conversations between the two protagonists is far and away my favorite story part so far. Right now my pair are both heartless romantics. Heartless to everyone else, romantic with each other.

Brilliant. Best conversation idea since the Party Conversation System. Put that on the back of the box.

When it was pitched during the kickstarter campaign co-op dialogue sounded awful and clunky, and then Swen went into great detail about how the system worked and I remember thinking, "That's so dead simple and perfectly brilliant. Why the fuck has no one ever done this before in a game?" It's how I imagine the world reacted to the paperclip when it was first invented.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Kay it's you and me Bakus, just wait I find fire shield spell and maybe finish side quests
...what the fuck, there is another map after this one?

so it
was just a beginning sort of?

ahahahaha

(faints)

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Has anyone started using the toolset? Is it easy to work with, like NWN, or an unstable, difficult mess, like NWN 2's? If the former, this could be the beginning of an incredibly fruitful & active module community that may bring back the best cRPG fan module authors overs the years, and talented newcomers. Let's face it, the NWN toolset produced some of the best computer role playing experiences we've ever had. It would be a shame though if the Divinity: OS toolset is closer to the NWN2 effort, which led to a terrible apathy among module authors. We need a thriving fan author community again, especially since the Vault is gone for good (?). So what's the verdict on the toolset?

Shadenuat

Arcane
Guyz guyz can you explain dialogue feature to me, cause I'm afraid I am missing best part of the game. Does it work in single player? Does it have something to do with setting AI for characters during generation screen (Loyal/Random/Off)? Or do I just toggle dual dialogue ON in options?

Ramireza

Savant
From the comments :

Negatives:

- I think Camera should have option to be set from behind the character (like Witcher or Dragon Age 2 had)
- Some players might have problems with orientation, cause there is no 'pointing' arrow that would lead you to quest target.
- Portraits really doesn't work well - they don't match created characters, probably it would have being better to just load up 3d face (something like WoW has) as portrait.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
One of the things for which I’ve silently been hoping since we started development on this game is that my wife and I would eventually be able to play new stories with unknown endings. I’ve seen other couples play our game and was slightly jealous of them having so much fun as they discovered Rivellon’s secrets.
Wife?
What happened to the girlfriends? :negative:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
From the comments :

Negatives:

- I think Camera should have option to be set from behind the character (like Witcher or Dragon Age 2 had)
- Some players might have problems with orientation, cause there is no 'pointing' arrow that would lead you to quest target.
- Portraits really doesn't work well - they don't match created characters, probably it would have being better to just load up 3d face (something like WoW has) as portrait.

:lol:

:negative:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wife?
What happened to the girlfriends? :negative:
It was always girlfriend, singular, and they have married since (and have a son).

EDIT:
A no-brainer, seeing as the game has two player co-op, not three or more. ;)

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
- Portraits really doesn't work well - they don't match created characters, probably it would have being better to just load up 3d face (something like WoW has) as portrait.[/I]
Also found this p. annoying

I had to make my faces match the portraits. :autism:

Shadenuat

Arcane
This game... made me wonder how much I would like PoE. Sure PoE will have strong writing and setting but... also static world and probably nothing as deadly and fun as DOS dance with the elements.

:dgaider:
What's so gaydar about my statement? You don't like Obsidian writing? Or do you think that D:OS standard setting with lulz/orcs/Diablo3'ish monsters is as good as other settings?

Nael

Arcane
Guyz guyz can you explain dialogue feature to me, cause I'm afraid I am missing best part of the game. Does it work in single player? Does it have something to do with setting AI for characters during generation screen (Loyal/Random/Off)? Or do I just toggle dual dialogue ON in options?

Basically either random or no AI will result in the ability to argue with your Source Hunter companion. Loyal makes it so your companion always agrees with you. Be careful though... A disagreeable companion can result in not being able to make certain decisions. For instance I was not able to hire Jahan in Cyreal because the other companion didn't want to agree with Jahan's request that we would never make deals with demons. (EDIT: And this wasn't even negotiable ie: Rock/Paper/Scissors minigame)

Delterius

Arcane

While this idea immeadiately conjured horrible images from the NwN2 portraits, I actually think that with Larian's models this could work well here. Also, I'm obsessed over matching portraits and models and it was pretty annoying after all.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Basically either random or no AI will result in the ability to argue with your Source Hunter companion.
Hey thanks. I'm Ok with some random roleplay and lulz, even if it will hurt me in a long run.
What's the difference between Random or no AI?

While this idea immeadiately conjured horrible images from the NwN2 portraits, I actually think that with Larian's models this could work well here. Also, I'm obsessed over matching portraits and models and it was pretty annoying after all.
I don't really get that complaint, isn't there at least a dozen portraits so you can match them to most things you make? At least the face, if not the hair.

:autism: indeed

Delterius

Arcane
User Score on Metacritic has reached 9.0. Let the masses rejoice! :obviously::hug::cry::salute::cool:
I don't really get that complaint, isn't there at least a dozen portraits so you can match them to most things you make? At least the face, if not the hair.

:autism: indeed
The hair is half of face customization, you can't even choose facial hair and face sepparately.. Of course people want to match that too.

But, yes, the autism is strong in me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom