Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Mangoose said:
So, not a fan of fighting the Power Rangers, constantly trolling a Dragon, getting a quest to free a pig, or a Killer Bunny coming after you if you kill too many rabbits?

No.
You are dead inside.

:(

I am seeing the same people who detest Minsc praise Killer Bunny. The irony is not beyond me. In a BioWare game it is cheap, braindead humor, in a Larian game you are a dead old coot if you don't like the Teenage-level shameless references.
I thought the issue was that Larian is different from Bioware, that one is total blandness while the other is failed ambition and pandering bullshit.

But now they're the same teenage-level shameless references.

At least I'm consistent..
Yes, yes, Larian is totally bland, no wait they're trying too hard then failing with the humor, no wait they're bland and not trying THAT hard to be humorous, no wait they're pandering to people who want silly encounters, no wait they're trying to be only a little bit silly so they don't offend anyone so that makes them bland still, no wait they have a Talking Head that advertises Dragon Commander which breaks the 4th wall and is such a fail in humor that it is offensive...

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yes, yes, Larian is totally bland, no wait they're trying too hard then failing with the humor, no wait they're bland and not trying THAT hard to be humorous, no wait they're pandering to people who want silly encounters, no wait they're trying to be only a little bit silly so they don't offend anyone so that makes them bland still, no wait they have a Talking Head that advertises Dragon Commander which breaks the 4th wall and is such a fail in humor that it is offensive...

I have't said any of those things, except 'bland', so why are you quoting me? Making up shit and placing me in front of a goal to defend it isn't going to make you win any discussions.

I thought the issue was that Larian is different from Bioware, that one is total blandness while the other is failed ambition and pandering bullshit.

D:OS is basically a game filled with Minscs and Boos.

Or is your problem that I established a dichotomy yet was not braindead enough to say that nothing else existed within either company but TEENAGE vs. BLAND?

Also, if you don't understand the difference between young adult humor (like pop culture references) and BioWare's Buffy the Vampire Slayer-like pandering to the emotional side of teenagers, then what can I say?

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

I have't said any of those things, except 'bland', so why are you quoting me?
(A) Whoosh
(B) So is Minsc totally bland and Killer Bunny failed ambition? Or is it the other way around? Or are they both bland? Or are they both failed ambition?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Seems like every time I refresh this page Grunker's posts mutate and grow. Keep polishing bro.

Bad habit. I should fix more before pressing post, but my pad is shit for this kind of thing and my laptop died.

So is Minsc totally bland and Killer Bunny failed ambition? Or is it the other way around? Or are they both bland? Or are they both failed ambition?

When did I call Killer Bunny failed ambition? What the fuck are you trying say? I literally have no clue what your point is. It seems like you misunderstood mine and now you're trying to make me defend shit I haven't said.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Oh, how nice... Codex imps...

01.jpg

03.jpg

jabba-angry_l_gifsoup-com.gif
Thanks guise. Whoever you are.

Metatron

Augur

I have't said any of those things, except 'bland', so why are you quoting me? Making up shit and placing me in front of a goal to defend it isn't going to make you win any discussions.

Yes, it's a game with Minsc and Boos but that is precisely the point, it's a game that doesn't take itself too seriously and it works pricisely because it delivers this tone on a consistent basis. Minsc and Boo kinda worked in the first Baldurs Gate when they were just deliberatly parody fantasy characters roaming the countryside with not much of a backstory but they didn't in the second Baldurs Gate because Bioware had to give them a bigger background just like the other overly serious companions, something that clashed with the fact that Minsc was never meant to be a serious in depth character and because of the grimdark nature of BG2 they felt like contrived comic relief.

Actually, the writing in D:OS is a lot like the first Baldurs Gate (only on a higher level): lighthearted, lots of quirky charachters and Monthy Pyhton-esque situations mixed with a more serious save the world main plot.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Bioware had to give them a bigger background just like the other overly serious companions, something that clashed with the fact that Minsc was never meant to be a serious in depth character and because of the grimdark nature of BG2 they felt like contrieved comic relief.

1) What "bigger background" did Minsc and Boo get in BG2? If anything, their background was way more serious in BG1 where it was Dajemma-related, whereas in BG2 almost all he spews except when saying "omg u killed dynaheir" is comic relief.

2) Motherfucker you did not just called BG2 "grimdark."

Storyfags.
:negative:

Idiots.

Four times within the span of three pages:

Grunker said:
I loved Blackguards, KotC etc. (and I can't remember the last time I've had as much fun as I'm having with D:OS)

Now tell me again. What exactly makes me a storyfag?

Shadenuat

Arcane
Did anyone manage to beat Arhu in a straight fight? Initiate the fight through quest dialogue option and beat his ass.
He gets out his nunchaku and beats the shit out of my party. Sure I have suboptimal team for my second run (almost no magic), but holy shit - 4-5 attacks per round each with 4 strikes for up to ~2000 damage.

Arhu probably studied in Infinitron's school of Making Hard Fights, aka just make enemy deal a fuckton of damage and have 13900 hp.

RK47

Patron
Did anyone manage to beat Arhu in a straight fight? Initiate the fight through quest dialogue option and beat his ass.
He gets out his nunchaku and beats the shit out of my party. Sure I have suboptimal team for my second run (almost no magic), but holy shit - 4-5 attacks per round each with 4 strikes for up to ~2000 damage.

Arhu probably studied in Infinitron's school of Making Hard Fights, aka just make enemy deal a fuckton of damage and have 13900 hp.

Shade - give each of your party invisibility potion.
Each one of your party cast a summon.
Then drink invis pot.
Reserve your AP, let him waste AP on trash summon.

Etc. That usually works for most crap when I play.
But yeah, maybe they don't want him dead or some shit.

Sodafish

Arcane
I tried it once, but it's obvious that they made it virtually impossible. I think I had like a 10% chance to hit with level 20 characters, and if one did land it took about 0.5% of his health off.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

:rpgcodex:

You tag people when you badmouth them, it's the :monocle: way.

Haven't gotten to that fight yet, but one of my popamole friends just beat it. I'm sure he cheesed it though.

Metatron

Augur
Bioware had to give them a bigger background just like the other overly serious companions, something that clashed with the fact that Minsc was never meant to be a serious in depth character and because of the grimdark nature of BG2 they felt like contrieved comic relief.

1) What "bigger background" did Minsc and Boo get in BG2? If anything, their background was way more serious in BG1 where it was Dajemma-related, whereas in BG2 almost all he spews except when saying "omg u killed dynaheir" is comic relief.

Just a larger quantity of dialogues and that didn't work because Minsc was never supposed to be more than a one trick pony. So the trick got annoying after a while.

BG2 is one of my favorite games of all time but it's hard to deny it is a very serious epic journey (especially with the added save the world expansion) with a memorable yet pretty "see me being evi muhaha" antoganist while the writing doesn't have the same quality of e.g. PS:T to escape that particular "dark and epic" feeling.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I took almost half of his health because I have InflictFrozen on both of my fighters armor and he freezed himself a lot, but without heal rotation and shit like DeathPunch I probably won't win this one. And 4 Blind spells or somethin.

Black

Arcane
Storyfags.

Idiots.

Four times within the span of three pages:

Grunker said:
I loved Blackguards, KotC etc. (and I can't remember the last time I've had as much fun as I'm having with D:OS)

Now tell me again. What exactly makes me a storyfag?
You have serious problems if you think you're the centre of everything and that every post is referring to you.

RK47

Patron
I took almost half of his health because I have InflictFrozen on both of my fighters armor and he freezed himself a lot, but without heal rotation and shit like DeathPunch I probably won't win this one. And 4 Blind spells or somethin.

Well finish each turn with invis pot (3AP) and you won't be hit back.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Just a larger quantity of dialogues and that didn't work because Minsc was never supposed to be more than a one trick pony. So the trick got annoying after a while.

BG2 is one of my favorite games of all time but it's hard to deny it is a very serious epic journey (especially with the added save the world expansion) with a memorable yet pretty "see me being evi muhaha" antoganist while the writing doesn't have the same quality of e.g. PS:T to escape the "epic" feeling.

1) I agree.

EDIT: Yeah, OK. I can concede to that point. Though, there was still a fair amount in the voice files that hinted that comic relief mostly was Minsc's role.

2) I strongly disagree with your definition of "grimdark." Grimdark is not "something very serious is happening", grimdark is "only serious shit is happening." Baldur's Gate 2 isn't too serious for its own good, and there's certainly nothing inherently bad about mixing comedy with severity. In fact, most of the great action movies in the 80's and 90's were great because they found the sweet spot for that. But we're getting off track here.

You have serious problems if you think you're the centre of everything and that every post is referring to you.

You're right. Thinking that a post about story had anything to do with me considering I spent three pages debating that topic was awfully premature of me. I apologize. Clearly it was meant for that other guy also debating story.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane

I'll need a lot of invis pots for that lol.

I even tried to capture him inside crates and managed to do so but the fucker actually casts Lightning and breaks them! And I think he does it on purpose - I tried to snipe him from afar with crossbow but he still cast it.

Delterius

Arcane
I am seeing the same people who detest Minsc praise Killer Bunny. The irony is not beyond me. In a BioWare game it is cheap, braindead humor, in a Larian game you are a dead old coot if you don't like the Teenage-level shameless references.

Grunker, its fine to be childish once in a while.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Grunker, its fine to be childish once in a while.

I'm not sure what your point is in relation to the post you quoted?

RK47

Patron

I'll need a lot of invis pots for that lol.

I even tried to capture him inside crates and managed to do so but the fucker actually casts Lightning and breaks them! And I think he does it on purpose - I tried to snipe him from afar with crossbow but he still cast it.

Barrels. Lots and lots of barrels.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
My counterpoints:

* If teenagers make you despair for humanity, never become a parent.

* If Larian makes you go "hehe", you might share more interests with teenagers than you'd like to admit.

First, let me just get this out of the way: Oh fuck off you pretentious cunt.

*pause*

Now...that you're forgiving of and/or overlooking BioWare's MO in attempt at catering to people who need to see 3D ASS staring you in the face while you ROMANCE people over the course of a pile of juvenile dialogue...is a heck of a lot more incriminating to me than my thinking that silly, lighthearted humor is okay.

Anyway, I certainly don't fucking care enough about Larian's writing to keep debating the merits or lack thereof in relation to BioWare for the rest of the day. Let's just all admit your taste is shit and move on, mmkay?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
First, let me just get this out of the way: Oh fuck off you pretentious cunt.

It seems you didn't click the spoiler, but hey, fuck you too, faggot.

you're forgiving of and/or overlooking BioWare's MO.
How can you STILL, after I have made it clear about 50 fucking times, claim that I am defending what I have called "pandering", "teenage-streak" and "bullshit"?

Do you suffer from a legitimate comprehension failure or is your inability to construct functional arguments what's keeping you in mudslinging lane?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Grunker said:
* If Larian makes you go "hehe", you might share more interests with teenagers than you'd like to admit.
Oh no! My fedora won't approve of that!

But it will approve of the majority of ME2 characters even though only Mordin is well written.

Also my fedora will approve of the Deep Roads.

Grunker said:
How totally bland!

Grunker said:
isn't going to make you win any discussions.
Can't tell if this is a very good joke or that you actually try to "win" discussions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom