Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It is possible there will be a small launch discount on release day.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, I guess. You can also wait for reviews to come in if you aren't sure about buying it at all.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hmmm: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...d-cat-and-i-dont-know-what-to-do-with-myself/

Divinity: Original Sin 2 just killed my adopted cat, and I don’t know what to do with myself
John Walker on September 12th, 2017 at 1:11 pm.

divinity-original-sin-2-alive-cat2.jpg

The random death of a cat might be the most shocking moment I can remember in a game.

I’m playing Divinity: Original Sin 2 [official site], and it’s my first experience of the series as a whole. Not knowing what to expect, but knowing the game to offer unexpected moments, I was simply pootling around the island on which magic-laden beings were being held captive. And at a certain point a black cat started following us about. A very welcome black cat, causing no trouble, a little too meowy but nothing offensive beyond that. It seemed to have an odd look in its eyes, and I was intrigued to learn if there might be more to this mog than met the eye.

divinity-original-sin-2-alive-cat.jpg

After a bit I got used to it, almost as if it were a member of our party. It’d figure out its own routes if we climbed somewhere it couldn’t, it kept itself busy while we were engaged in fights, and generally mooched about in a very harmless fashion. My son named it, with the imagination of a two year old, “Meow”, and so it was. Meow the cat.

Then chatting to some grumpy Magisters outside a locked gate, mid-conversation with one of the soldiers, I heard first the sound of an arrow being loosed, then a gruesome squalling feline gurgle, and there on the ground beside me was the bleeding remains of Meow. Dead. The bastard on top of a lookout tower just took it upon himself to kill my pet! My innocent Meow, who had been nonchalantly sniffing about, not even disturbing their hound.

My jaw hung slack, and then stayed there. I processed what had happened. This NPC had murdered an NPC kitten. I was chatting! There was no warning! And there was nothing I could do – not only was I mid conversation with the bastard murderer’s colleague, but these were all level 4, and I’ve just started, I’m level 1, and I wouldn’t stand a chance in seeking brutal justice for my little kitty’s life. And my jaw was still hung open.

It was a moment just so brutally shocking, despite being I of course realise, completely irrelevant to the game at large. The cat wasn’t my pet, it was just following me about. I couldn’t interact with it in any meaningful way. It wasn’t a “pet” in the sense that RPGs understand. A stray cat was killed by a guard. A bastard guard. But the randomness, the helplessness of it, struck me incredibly hard.

divinity-original-sin-2-dead-cat.jpg

Games don’t do that! Games, as they go, tend to be so clumsily choreographed and signalled in their Moments, usually resorting to cutscenes for occasions when they want to emotionally shock you. There’s so little that’s random, so few moments in the whole genre (and, let’s be fair, in film, TV, too) where something completely unexpected happens, and no one at all gives a shit.

As it happens I clicked on the gate to see what would happen, causing all the guards and their mutt to launch at me, inevitably seeing my party of two weaklings die. So I’ve reloaded to the moment before the kitty demise, and now I’m absolutely transfixed with fear that little ol’ Meow could be met with cruel death at any moment. I can’t think of a time a game’s stakes felt so high.

(Postscript: I went back to the moment to see if it would happen again, and indeed it did, this time with the characters commenting on the events. The (bastard) guard justified his brutality by saying, “Bad luck to let on ‘a them cross your path.” Weep.)

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I missed the link, but reading the headline of that article, I thought to myself: RockPaperShotgun.

Lacrymas

Arcane
What exactly was the point of that article? To "prove" that D:OS2 is good? Just random trivia he wanted to get off his chest? What?

Fry

Arcane
Are they using the same voice actor for multiple main characters?

Fry

Arcane
Yeah, but it's bad writing.

Try, "No, it's just impossible to tell them apart."

:cool:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Can't wait to not pick any of the origins (after 2 months of waiting for patches). Can't wait to fuck up Beast, Ifan and Sabille's quests. Red Prince will have to wait if I ever do a second playthrough, since he's slightly cooler than these 3 losers, but still requires fucking up.

Jinn

Arcane
I wasn't planning on doing any of the origins, but that undead angle is extremely tempting.

Sjukob

Arcane
I've just watched every origin story they revealed .
Red Prince - stuck up faggot who couldn't get laid with actual women . Considering his status it makes him even more pathetic .
Sebille - insane edgelord bitch .
Fane -
524.jpg

Sorry couldn't think of edgy commentary regarding Lohse and Ifan , I like Beast though , he is the best of them all . And it's not like the characters aren't interesting I just dislike everyone .

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I have no interest in playing the origin characters, at all. Do you guys really?

I mean they all kind of seem, eh, dumb and uninteresting. Also, I like blank slate characters more than pre-defined ones.

Sjukob

Arcane
Considering what I wrote above , no not really . I just hope custom character's story and development doesn't suffer because of the inclusion of the origins .

KateMicucci

Arcane
I like them except for the voices. They're a lot more tolerable than Bioware/Obsidian companions.

Lacrymas

Arcane
There's also the fact it seems none of the origin stories, except maybe Ifan, have anything to do with the main plot. What's the point then? They are just another side quest you can do. Seems like a wasted opportunity to show the main plot in different angles and perspectives.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom