Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
21430345_1579014835492042_3955848111793981224_n.jpg

Get hyped I guess? That trailer spelled out the whole thing and I now have the entire game mapped out in my mind, so get hyped? I hope it's not so simple and it has more to offer.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
21430345_1579014835492042_3955848111793981224_n.jpg

Get hyped I guess? That trailer spelled out the whole thing and I now have the entire game mapped out in my mind, so get hyped? I hope it's not so simple and it has more to offer.

Well,having played all Larian games,I can safely say they are the epitome of simple so don't expect anything from them.

All of their games have the same campy shitty theme where everything is treated as a big joke,like most of their games.Maybe this time they listened to feedback,but I somehow doubt it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Well,having played all Larian games,I can safely say they are the epitome of simple so don't expect anything from them.

All of their games have the same campy shitty theme where everything is treated as a big joke,like most of their games.Maybe this time they listened to feedback,but I somehow doubt it.

Didn't they hire 7 writers so it wouldn't be simple? Wasn't that the entire point? Not that I expect it to be good, far from that.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The LORE has obviously been greatly expanded in Divinity: Original Sin 2. :troll:

But I imagine the main function of hiring all those writers is writing all those tag-based choices and consequences in dialog.

Quillon

Arcane
Tile-based effects, especially fire is not looking good and the lighting seems like an ENB patch. Also the game is looking way too chaotic, everything's cramped in together. I'm overwhelmed, pillows "looks" much more noob friendly than dis. Get HYPED! One day to go baby, wooo!

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm pretty fucking hyped at this point. I've been playing bits of games and not really getting into anything for a couple of weeks now. Looking forward to really sinking my teeth into a nice long RPG.

weird question, but does anyone know how the avatars here work? Does someone need to submit them? I love the Larian goblins but I'm getting a little tired of this one

Lacrymas

Arcane
The LORE has obviously been greatly expanded in Divinity: Original Sin 2. :troll:

But I imagine the main function of hiring all those writers is writing all those tag-based choices and consequences in dialog.

lolLore. If there are so many consequences as to require 7 writers then it would be incline, even if the main plot is on the simple side. Fallout 1 has a lot of C&C, but it didn't have 7 full-time writers doing only that. I also imagine the main plot being simple just so all origin stories can naturally gravitate towards the spoiler goal and doing it in their own way. Wow, I'm so naive and optimistic today.

KateMicucci

Arcane
Swen has basically been spoiling the Divine thing for months already and it's revealed explicitly about halfway through act 1.

Simple plot is fine. It's about time we got back to having them. Save the princess from the ogre, who is actually a real princess and not an ogre in disguise and the ogre is not a good guy. I'm sick of everything needing a predictable "twist".

Lacrymas

Arcane
What games have you been playing with intricate plots and twists, with the exception of AoD? How and where did you find enough of them to the point of being sick of them?

KateMicucci

Arcane
A couple of recent RPGs with TWEESTs were Fallout 4 and PoE. Maybe the other new Obsidian/inExile games had twists too but I either didn't play them or was too bored to finish. These are a little older, but other games I've played recently with telegraphed twists: Arkham City, Styx 1, and Darkest Dungeon. The twist in Styx was the only clever one, because it was integral to the plot rather than an ad hoc addition.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I enjoy the lighthearted campiness of Larian games.

If you want yet another srs bsns RPG you can play pretty much any other game out there. We have played them all and we know them all and we will play many more with the same tropes in the years to come, there should be room for some ironic detachement in at least one of the RPGs we play.

Besides, there still is time for serious parts, such as the backgrounds of Jahan and Arhu in the first game, which were both pretty interesting imo.

Lacrymas

Arcane
There is room for campiness and humor, it's just not Larian's brand of kooky, LolSoRandom type. It tries too hard and it's cringe-y.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
There is room for campiness and humor, it's just not Larian's brand of kooky, LolSoRandom type. It tries too hard and it's cringe-y.

I disagree. From the whiny brat king in Divine Divinity against a backdrop of a world being over-run by orcs, to the gossiping wives hanging out the washing in Divinity 2 a contrasted with Damien's plottings, and some guy trying to sell me a house that doesn't exist in both, I think Larian do silly very well

Lacrymas

Arcane
There are one or two genuinely funny bits, but if you throw a wide enough net you are bound to catch something. I think the first game, Divine Divinity, was fine in this regard. After that, the humor kind of started being juvenile (as in literally written for kids) and LolSoRandom.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Lacrymas I don't like the tone of their games either but your argument escapes me. Plebbit humour such as Larian's or Rick and Morty's is more popular than ever, so there is clearly room for it. Blame Gen-X for making shows like Family Guy/Robot Chicken and millenials for watching them during formative years.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
They don't understand humor,there's no other way to put it.I remeber the part where you have to find the codes for the robot 5000 in D:OS with ''Angry kitten,happy kitten'',I mean get the fuck outta here with this childish bullshit.And there's plenty of other examples

It's bottom of the barrel level of writing and they can't go any lower than that for fuck sake

Lacrymas

Arcane
Lacrymas I don't like the tone of their games either but your argument escapes me. Plebbit humour such as Larian's or Rick and Morty's is more popular than ever, so there is clearly room for it. Blame Gen-X for making shows like Family Guy/Robot Chicken and millenials for watching them during formative years.

If the intent is to be like Rick and Morty, Family Guy and what-have-you (i.e. the bottom of the barrel) and go for mass appeal, then sure, but is this what we want? Well, I guess it doesn't matter what we want, but what sells. Even though I like capitalism in general, this is one of its pitfalls. They haven't tried to sell anything else, though, so how they'd know if it doesn't eludes me.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
.I remeber the part where you have to find the codes for the robot 5000 in D:OS with ''Angry kitten,happy kitten'',I mean get the fuck outta here with this childish bullshit.And there's plenty of other examples

You're annoyed because kittens? Maybe there's some relevance to that which I'm not understanding, but currently i don't really see the issue. And please, give me a few more of the plenty of examples

Is the best word you used because you're basing your assumption on basically nothing

i found this pretty amusing at the time

Prime Junta

Well, I guess it doesn't matter what we want, but what sells. Even though I like capitalism in general, this is one of its pitfalls.

You've taken your first step into a larger world, young pioneer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom