Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kem0sabe

Arcane
No combat speed slider is also p. fucking decline. Every, and I do mean every, TB game should have that. D:OS 1 combat was so fucking slow at times. I was literally throwing money at the screen to get them to implement a combat speed slider.

Like, yeah, the first 1-5 times you watch the animations and shit, it's cool, the 99th time? Not so much. Some of the animations take so fucking long to finish, I could write a novel and finish another study at Uni before its over, and it's extremely tedious to sit through.

I know one of the most successful mods to something like x com 1 + 2, is the mod that removes animation lag/time and speeds up the game immensly.

But eh, I guess it wouldn't be possible to write crazy selling slogans on your game reviews then. 80 HOUR GAMEPLAY+++!

Yeah, if you count all the hours spend watching combat animations finish, bitch!
I've been asking for this since the first game. If I recall, larian said that it was impossible to implement with their engine.

If anything, I feel like they doubled down on more shit going on during combat...

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
No combat speed slider is also p. fucking decline.

They've given their reasons why they can't do this (messes with out of combat actions).

I don't really care why they can't do it. They're fucking Larian, they portray themselves as being masters of the impossible, engineers of the best rpgs, and so forth.

Just make it fucking happen, I don't give a shit how, spend money on a new engine then, just do something. It's amateur work, because basically every other rpg developer seems to be able to figure it out, but not Larian. They're speshul. They get a free pass as the darlings of the rpg industry, rite?

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
they portray themselves as being masters of the impossible, engineers of the best rpgs, and so forth.

Do they?

They get a free pass as the darlings of the rpg industry, rite?

No. It sucks that it can't be sped up, I think everyone agrees, but it's just a reality. Every one of their games has been flawed. They still make generally great games.

You sound like a total faggot by the way

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Do they?

No. It sucks that it can't be sped up, I think everyone agrees, but it's just a reality. Every one of their games has been flawed. They still make generally great games.

You sound like a total faggot by the way
Nah, they make generally shit games. Most people who say that original sin was good, didn't go past the first chapter (which is actually quite good), the rest of the game is a train wreck of terrible story telling, uninspired maps, and long boring combat encounters.

Prime Junta

It's amateur work, because basically every other rpg developer seems to be able to figure it out, but not Larian.

One of the trademarks of D:OS is co-op gameplay and the possibility to have a part of your party in combat and a part out of it, i.e. stuff happening out-of-combat in real-time even as combat proceeds as turn-based. Combining that with adjustable combat speed would yield a clusterfuck. I don't think they want to give up their trademark.

(N.b. IMO it's a stupid trademark -- according to their own research barely anyone bothers with co-op, and the out-of-combat/in-combat blend just makes for easy exploits, while rarely adding anything of value. But that's Larian.)

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
It's amateur work, because basically every other rpg developer seems to be able to figure it out, but not Larian.

One of the trademarks of D:OS is co-op gameplay and the possibility to have a part of your party in combat and a part out of it, i.e. stuff happening out-of-combat in real-time even as combat proceeds as turn-based. Combining that with adjustable combat speed would yield a clusterfuck. I don't think they want to give up their trademark.

(N.b. IMO it's a stupid trademark -- according to their own research barely anyone bothers with co-op, and the out-of-combat/in-combat blend just makes for easy exploits, while rarely adding anything of value. But that's Larian.)
That survey is about RPG:s in general, and in general, I agree. When it comes to D:OS, though, I can't imagine playing it any other way. The co-op experience was, frankly, fantastic, and I would have zero interest in the game without it. It doesn't mean I want co-op of this nature in more hardcore RPG:s, it just means that D:OS does it's own thing and it does it really well. It's really no different from thefact that I generally prefer RPG:s over shooters, and I prefer turn-based over real-life, but I can still appreciate a good shooter, and I don't want that shit to be turn-based.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
So, I haven't been following this one much.

Is a sequel going to be worth bothering with, or is it more of the same: stupidly unbalanced combat overreliant on landing overpowered status effects, dumbly designed pixel hunting puzzles, and story written by drunk baboons?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
If you had a stealthy character you could often sneak past, then bring everyone to them with the Teleportation pyramids, but yea that was a little annoying sometimes, when you just wanted to get to your destination.
But then you lost XP and was underleveled for last combat.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath

You can always return at your leisure. Sometimes I just like to finish a certain task and come back to a combat area

stupidly unbalanced combat overreliant on landing overpowered status effects, dumbly designed pixel hunting puzzles, and story written by drunk baboons?

I'll give you the story, but I'm not even that good at combat and I thought it was fairly reasonable, and I have no fucking idea what you are talking about with the pixel hunting

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

You can always return at your leisure. Sometimes I just like to finish a certain task and come back to a combat area

stupidly unbalanced combat overreliant on landing overpowered status effects, dumbly designed pixel hunting puzzles, and story written by drunk baboons?

I'll give you the story, but I'm not even that good at combat and I thought it was fairly reasonable, and I have no fucking idea what you are talking about with the pixel hunting

I don't know how the combat was after the patches and enhanced editions, but on launch it was broken beyond belief. It started innocently enough but by the mid-game there were some abilities that would trivialize entire game.

And don't get me started about puzzles. I remember this one where you had to pull a lever that was impossible to see with a camera mode the game starts you with, and the only way to find it was go to options, unlock the camera and look again. Total amateur hour.

He means these 4 switches in certain area.

Yeah that shit exactly.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
21317869_1579010612159131_6742886509494671818_n.jpg

While the others were supposed to be women, this one is supposed to be a man.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
With GameReactor, always two there are - a video and an article: https://www.gamereactor.eu/news/590153/We+talked+to+Larian+Studios+about+Divinity+Original+Sin+II/

We talked to Larian Studios about Divinity: Original Sin II
Game designer and writer Kieron Kelly talked to us about the Undead race and the Kickstarter edition.

Later this week Larian Studios' Divinity: Original Sin II launches fully on Steam after some time in Early Access where the first act of the game has been playable. During Gamescom we had an opportunity to speak with game designer and writer Kieron Kelly who talked to us about the massive amounts of writing that's gone into the game, the newly revealed Undead player race, and the contents of the physical Kickstarter Edition of the game.

"Divinity is your classic top-down RPG," says Kelly when asked to describe the game. "We're bringing in a huge amount of new elements and modern elements. We make sure that we've got the modern technology mixed with old ideas, but making sure that we've basically creating this interactive world that you can play with, you and up to four friends."

"We've doubled down on almost everything that made Original Sin great. We've added new races so instead of playing just human you can now play up to four different races and we've also added a huge amount of writers to our team. And that's allowed us to create a tag system, which really makes the world come alive and interact with you in a completely unique way that you've never seen before. It allows us to add systems to the game that will literally let you interact with the world in a different way."

While players won't be able to see all the possible dialogue in a playthrough, far from it, the shapeshifter mask will allow players to approach situations and dialogues in a variety of ways regardless of their player race.

Divinity: Original Sin II is all about player freedom and letting players express themselves:

"We really don't want to bottle neck players or put them on a set of tracks and this is the way you're going to go. We want to make sure that you can role-play your character as purely as possible."

While the undead was a playable race in Dragon Commander, it's still an unusual choice of player race for the genre and asked Kelly what goes into that.

"Just because they're undead doesn't mean, like even if they were a villain, the best villain has a real legitimate reason for doing what they're doing, while they might scare and freak out some people, in fact, if you take off your hood or reveal part of your body most people will either run away or attack you. So the world is going to be very different if you're an undead, but that doesn't mean if you're a living, sentient being that's actually a skeleton that doesn't mean that you're not necessarily motivations, or goals, or anything else. So it doesn't stop you from being a hero inside the game or a villain, depending on what you want to do."

Divinity: Original Sin II is scheduled for full release on Steam on September 14, with no official word on possible console ports just yet.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm disappointed by the lack of unattractive/borderline freak origins. Those of the conventionally attractive races I mean. Think Quasimodo. Why couldn't Sabille be deformed by the slavery and beatings she endured? Or Lohse looking like a stereotypical Baba Yaga type of witch due to the possession and madness? Not only being deformed, but their origin and the way people treat them to be reflective of that.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom