Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Diablo Creator David Brevik Discusses Diablo 3 at IncGamers

Black

Arcane
Brevik, huh? Mad respect to the whole family, you guys make do make a difference!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
So, not only US gamers are too awesome to fail/game over, but the developers too... Bunch of spoiled brats, that's what a culture that never taugths people that you CAN fucking fail leads too.

Also, Brevik makes a solid point that simply is not talked about enough; developers are where the experience are, not in a magical hivemind called "Blizzard", you fire people that made Diablo, you are left with no ideia how to make Diablo.

Angthoron

Arcane
Funny part is, I suspect most of the non-exec Blizzard employees probably agree with Brevik. Of course, it's the execs who get butthurt, because of COURSE Diablo 3 and everything else they've touched is THEIR baby and not a result of months of work of some dirty code monkies.

DaveO

Erudite
So, instead of a thoughtful and analytical counter-reply the easiest course of action was to basically give the middle finger. Maybe being given the equivalent middle finger by fans with a 60-80% drop-off of players will finally wake Jay "Loser" Wilson up.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Hellgate: London :D
Hellgate: London was a decent game. It just needed more polish. If it had been a blizzard game it'd have sold 10 million copies.
Yeah, it was okay in a Obsidian kind of way. :lol:

Still, had some great ideias and was a unpolished bold move, not 10 years & unlimited money to make a weak AAA shit that doesn't even get the basics right.

I find it amusing that they call him a loser and then reassure them selves how awesome they must be with how many copies the game sold. Considering it was the work of the man that they deem a loser that created the enormous following and interest in the Diablo game series, and thus lead to it being so commercially successful. I doubt it would have sold half as many copies if it wasn't for all the fans of the first two games going out and buying it on day one.

thesoup

Arcane
Croatian forums and sites just praise the living crap out of it so you may be forgiven for thinking it had redeemable qualities.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Someone should post this link to them.:smug:

Wow
I knew the game was bad from all the stuff I've heard over the months, but I didn't know it's such a fucking horrible abomination.

Oh well....... a newly released popamole arpg is shit. News at eleven :smug:

To be honsest lots of the criticism in this video is downright misinformed and wrong. Lots of baseless nitpicking. The reviewer does not understand why the changes were made and what are the positive implications of them - he just complains. Also, act 2 Normal difficult? o_O

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
To be honsest lots of the criticism in this video is downright misinformed and wrong. Lots of baseless nitpicking. The reviewer does not understand why the changes were made and what are the positive implications of them - he just complains. Also, act 2 Normal difficult? o_O
I found him to be pretty much spot on about everything. It wasn't baseless and nitpicking is what a reviewer should do.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Copypasta:

Regardless of the design decisions, David Brevik took the time to explain himself and his stance on the game's issues, and the director of Diablo III lost his cool, instead acting very unprofessionally with that emotional outburst.

I don't know how things are at Blizzard right now but regardless, I think it shows a fundamental lack of respect towards both players and peers, and as someone involved in game design, to have that sort of closed-minded "I'm right, you're wrong, end of story" attitude is a very negative trait.

To be frank, after looking at the comments by developers and of course playing the game itself, the flaws in the game do not surprise me in the least. That elitist attitude, especially the "our game sold more than yours, nyah-nyah" reaction, really says a lot about the dev team.

Also: they're immature, butthurt dickweeds.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's a 2nd time, when a man named Brevik (or very similar) brings terror to the world.

The first Breivik brought hope to the despairing masses. The second Breivik took it away.

Actually the second Breivik gave hope and guidance to the Freedom Loving Christian Mooslimb and Multicult Hatin' Heroes in GD that the Glorious Peaceloving West could still be saved from Leftist Liberal Red PC Femofascist Terror.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
It’s a shame that they had to learn some of these painful lessons
(not dot)

I agree

"Also can I "like" Jay's comment more than once please?"

YOU CAN SUCK MY DICK MORE THAN ONCE
actually no i am a man of principle and virtue
GET OUT

Johannes

Arcane
The biggest target group of modern games are kiddies, so it's not reasonable to expect the developers to act like adults.
I'd say kids were a more important target back in the day. Today everyone and their momma has to be able to play and win anything, whereas kids have time and persistence for their games, at least back in the 90s we did.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Just sit back and close your eyes. Go back to the 90's. Imagine what Blizzard was like then. Now open your eyes and wake up. Look at Blizzard now. Fuck them all. I'm tired of this shit industry and all its people who take criticism against the games as a personal attack.

I hear what u are trying to say but dude, hate to break it to you, the owners of Blizzard are the ones that happily sold their company to whoever owns it now. The same 7 or so guys who made Warcraft, who used to go bowling together straight from work, are the ones who sold out. Or rather, the owners sold out. And got a lot of money for it.

I do believe however, they might have regretted selling out once they saw how much money WoW made...

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Still, had some great ideias and was a unpolished bold move, not 10 years & unlimited money to make a weak AAA shit that doesn't even get the basics right.

Blizzard has really good marketing, to sell this for so many copies.

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
The biggest target group of modern games are kiddies, so it's not reasonable to expect the developers to act like adults.
I'd say kids were a more important target back in the day. Today everyone and their momma has to be able to play and win anything, whereas kids have time and persistence for their games, at least back in the 90s we did.
By looking at what was produced back then, I'm convinced the main target for most games were either mid teens and adults, or it was unspecified. Now there's a lot of reasons to believe the most common player is a 13- years old retard with short attention span. Moreover, he's considered in the first place a receiver even for R- rated games, unlike an old casual. And yet, the drastically lowered level of required skill and dedication is primarily a side- effects of actual publishing business, not caused by the audience itself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom