Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo - 20 years later

octavius

Arcane
Patron
You seem to have a buggy version of HFF. Town Portal worked fine for me.

EDIT: Are you using the SP (HFFsp.exe) or MP (HellfireFixed.exe) version?

Ivan

Arcane
positive it's SP. also noticed that the floors don't have the other rooms (skeleton king, something of bones) also NPCs don't have markers over them to unlock the serpent water purification quest. on floor six now.

butcher is still on floor 2 tho

about town portal: I can use the spell or the item but what I meant was Tristram doesn't have the portal circle from which you can warp to the even numbered floors.

Sounds like MP or something (either due to the mod or selecting the wrong one). MP in Diablo doesn't have certain quests or special areas.

The portal circle is strictly from Belzebub. There are shortcuts for every 4th level around the map.

Ivan

Arcane
maybe this may explain something: I haven't killed the Butcher. Maybe that's preventing the other quests from triggering?

Does the original game have those yellow markers whenever a new quest is avaiable? or was that also Belzebub?

Diablo vanilla quests generally don't have other quests as prerequisites (normally you just need to reach a certain dungeon level, sometimes read a book or find a drop) and are randomly seeded at game start (for example, of The Butcher, the Skeleton King, and the Water Supply quest, you will only get 2 of the 3 per game).

Vanilla does not have the yellow markers.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Do you have an actual legitimate version of Diablo and Hellfire? I have them and never heard of this before.

Deleted Member 16721

Ah, Diablo. A tremendously atmospheric game and probably my first real dungeon-crawl. As a wee lad it was quite enticing to play this game and explore the town, chat with the townsfolk and ultimately dive down deeper and deeper in the dungeon.

I still fondly remember The Butcher, and picking up that wonderful cleaver that he drops when he, after some frustration, finally died.

Still to this day it's a fun game, which I can say for pretty much every RPG ever, but it's still fun to play in co-op.

Great game, legendary, even, that single-handedly created the sub-genre that we now know as "Diablo-style" RPGs, or "Diablo-clones". :)

Ivan

Arcane
It's not a legit copy. But this is the first time I've not seen the quests activate when I reach floor 3-4 and talk to the Drunk/Barmaid. Also, this is the first time I've noticed that the Priest is completely absent, as is the Vendor that wanders around.

if anyone's wondering, this is how I did things:

mounted Diablo>created Diablo in programs> installed Hellfire to Diablo folder>there's a Sierra Folder in the Diablo folder that contains a Hellfire folder>inside that is the exe, I placed the HFFsp.exe in that folder and have been running that 1.21

Diablo Folder>Sierra Folder>Hellfire Folder>HHFspexe

all things aside, I'm enjoying the game immensely. I've noticed some differences, it's easier overall than Belzebub but god I love the tone and atmosphere of the game. the only thing I miss from Belzebub is queing spells to the F keys

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Thanks so much guys! In the meantime I started Diablo 2 for my first time and my opinion has mostly been
59695731.jpg

The horror is gone. The awesome death animations are gone. 1 skill point per level up (forcing me to invest in 1 skill). no real respec to try new spells (sorceress). fighting little negros with knives in Act 3 LOL, a piss ez Normal mode (Duriel gave me trouble).
Yeah, watch as Diablo II completely misses the point of what made Diablo I good and spawn an endless number of games where you just grind and grind for coloured loot.

all things aside, I'm enjoying the game immensely. I've noticed some differences, it's easier overall than Belzebub but god I love the tone and atmosphere of the game. the only thing I miss from Belzebub is queing spells to the F keys

F5 to F9 should work. Don't ask me why Blizzard decided that you only needed 4 hotkeys or why they chose those 4.

DeepOcean

Arcane
maybe this may explain something: I haven't killed the Butcher. Maybe that's preventing the other quests from triggering?
The Skeleton King, the water purification quest and other quests on Diablo I are random and may appear or not on your game. I only found the skeleton king on my third playthrough almost 16 years ago.

Deleted Member 16721

The Skeleton King, the water purification quest and other quests on Diablo I are random and may appear or not on your game. I only found the skeleton king on my third playthrough almost 16 years ago.

Yeah, this. It's sort of a bad design choice, in my opinion.

Ivan

Arcane
Ah thanks guys. I'm having a blats despite not encoutnering those quests.

However, the only anomaly remaining is that whenever I click on the Witch, her "hello" line is always a "Moo!" lol

And yeah, I've explored each floor thoroughly so far, so I can confirm that Skele king+the water supply one didn't trigger.

Thanks bros, I totally didn't know that F4-8 work!

I looked at my Hellfire fix that I downloaded plus Average Manatee's, and they both include HF102.exe which is a mod which is likely incompatible. This could cause other issues you may not notice.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Never felt the need to install a mod for D1. I fire it up once in a while, level a Sorcerer to 30+ and have fun while enjoying one of the most atmospheric games of it's generation.
Yeah, most atmospheric of this generation too, I dunno what happened but play Thief, System Shock and Diablo I and there is something very wrong on modern games atmosphere wise. Sometimes it appears that modern designers collectively said "We don't give a fuck!", what is a pity.

Hellfire v1.02.A5 (needs unofficial 1.02 patch) is worth it just for the reduced CPU usage (you have to manually allow in cowqueston.dat by removing 4 #s). You will otherwise use up an entire core instead of around 0% of a core. The ddraw.dll (can be used with vanilla Diablo, Hellfire, and any mods) keeps the game from crashing on my computer when alt-tabbing.

Melcar

Arcane
Just dusted off my old Diablo CD. Had to apply a nocd crack to get it going on wine. Works beautifully with that HD mod.

Unwanted

The Nameless Pun

Unwanted
Ah, Diablo. A tremendously atmospheric game and probably my first real dungeon-crawl. As a wee lad it was quite enticing to play this game and explore the town, chat with the townsfolk and ultimately dive down deeper and deeper in the dungeon.

I still fondly remember The Butcher, and picking up that wonderful cleaver that he drops when he, after some frustration, finally died.

Still to this day it's a fun game, which I can say for pretty much every RPG ever, but it's still fun to play in co-op.

Great game, legendary, even, that single-handedly created the sub-genre that we now know as "Diablo-style" RPGs, or "Diablo-clones". :)
"Which I can say for pretty much every rpg ever". Wow. Are you serious? Try playing Inquisitor, if you haven't. Even your optimistic nature, fluent, will be crushed by that horrible game. I mean it.

Anyways, how does a poor sod like me find diablo nowadays? Blizzard doesn't sell it anymore, I'm baffled.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom