Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo - 20 years later

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Pretty sure they sell it online these days through battle.net or whatever their website is called.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Pretty sure they sell it online these days through battle.net or whatever their website is called.
Diablo II is sold on Battle.net (and Starcraft and Warcraft 3)

Diablo, Hellfire expansion, Warcraft and Warcraft II are not available for sale there. Authentic copies of those games are only available on Ebay or such.

DraQ

Arcane
So how do you beat The Butcher with a Sorceror?
I retreated to a room with bars, closed the door and spent all my mana, mana potions, rejuv potions and spammed him with Firebolt (only damage spell I've got so far), but to no avail. As a last resort I tried the Reflect spell while gulping Healing Potions like mad, but still no dice.
I assume I've got to get some better spells fire, like Holy Bolt?
Firewall, obviously.

Bar him from the door with a firewall, then roast him with another two.

Warrior, OTOH, kind of got short end of the stick with The Butcher (OTOH it's the only class that can hope to make actual use of the cleaver).

Butcher actually has a pretty low To-Hit. He basically can't touch warriors who have reached Catacombs.

UglyBastard

Arcane
You can also trap the Butcher in a downward stairway and shoot him without him moving around. Even a warrior can do that pretty easily, you can stand right next to him (better To Hit).

StairTrap.jpg

Meleeing him down after cleaning dlvl 2 is not that hard as well, just bring some potions and stat your char correctly (dump almost everything in dexterity for better block). Doing it with a newly made char also helps (+20% hidden block bonus until you leave your first game).

UglyBastard

Arcane
+20% hidden block bonus until you leave your first game
What is this?

It's basically what I said.

Your blockchance is calcalated through your dexterity/charlevel (having a higher level actually lowers your block %) and you get a one-time +20% block bonus on top of that during the first game of a newly created character. At least in multiplayer, don't know how it's in singleplayer (probably as well, until you reload at least but I'm not sure).

This is used in Ironman runs. Usually the warrior dumps everything in dex and then blocks almost everything until catacombs at least (using the innate fast block attribute of the warrior, fast block on shields actually does nothing for him because he already has the least block frames).

There is also another little known fact that is abused for this: Monsters prioritize the player who joined the game first if they can choose between attacking two adjacent characters. So if you go Ironman, your party always has the warrior create the game because he is the tank and will get aggro priority over everyone else. This can be used to employ a "shotgun" technique where the warrior and rogue/mage are standing next to each other in a doorway and funnel the monsters through. The rogue has free reign because the warry gets aggro priority and blocks almost everything with low level/dex priority/20% starter bonus.

Diablo is an excellent game for Ironman runs and has some really obscure mechanics that can be abused to great effect.

If you are interested in Diablo mechanics I can recommend you "Jarulfs guide", it's the bible of the game with extremely in-depth analysis of all the things that work in the background.

http://www.lurkerlounge.com/diablo/jarulf/jarulf162.pdf

Last edited:

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1023469/Classic-Game-Postmortem

Don't think it's been posted here before. I've read/watched a bunch of postmortems, but this one just beats them all.
Interesting bit about the real-time/turn-based controversy. Geeky creators wanted turn based, suity founders wanted real time (colour me surprised)... suits had their way (colour me surprised again) and YEAH.... as Brevik puts it : ARPG was born !

T65K7VJ.jpg

Last edited:

Severian Silk

I played the Diablo demo version. It had a huge impact on me, so much so that I bought a used copy of Diablo 2 at Goodwill that was missing a disc so I could never actually install and play it.

My life was forever changed.

blamzooie

Educated
+20% hidden block bonus until you leave your first game
What is this?

It's basically what I said.

Your blockchance is calcalated through your dexterity/charlevel (having a higher level actually lowers your block %) and you get a one-time +20% block bonus on top of that during the first game of a newly created character. At least in multiplayer, don't know how it's in singleplayer (probably as well, until you reload at least but I'm not sure).

This is used in Ironman runs. Usually the warrior dumps everything in dex and then blocks almost everything until catacombs at least (using the innate fast block attribute of the warrior, fast block on shields actually does nothing for him because he already has the least block frames).

There is also another little known fact that is abused for this: Monsters prioritize the player who joined the game first if they can choose between attacking two adjacent characters. So if you go Ironman, your party always has the warrior create the game because he is the tank and will get aggro priority over everyone else. This can be used to employ a "shotgun" technique where the warrior and rogue/mage are standing next to each other in a doorway and funnel the monsters through. The rogue has free reign because the warry gets aggro priority and blocks almost everything with low level/dex priority/20% starter bonus.

Diablo is an excellent game for Ironman runs and has some really obscure mechanics that can be abused to great effect.

If you are interested in Diablo mechanics I can recommend you "Jarulfs guide", it's the bible of the game with extremely in-depth analysis of all the things that work in the background.

http://www.lurkerlounge.com/diablo/jarulf/jarulf162.pdf
Serious nostalgia from seeing Jarulf's name.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
You just need 1-2 fire-lightning wall scrolls for The Butcher while drinking potions like mad.

Man, we had great time with Diablo back then. The atmosphere, soundtrack, enemy design, LAN parties, same mouse&keyboard multi parties.
But for me the best part was when I was trying its demo at some computer store in Paris. I nearly played for 2 hours non stop, pissed my pants at first butcher contact and thrown out by store workers politely.

DraQ

Arcane
You just need 1-2 fire-lightning wall scrolls for The Butcher while drinking potions like mad.
You don't need to drink potions.
Butcher won't willingly enter *walls.
One wall won't necessarily kill him, though, so you need three - one for stopping him and two stacked for proper roasting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom