Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dead State: Reanimated

dryan

Arcane
Even evil people have to be politically correct.

Multi-headed Cow

"Which gets really frustrating since you get several opportunities for rapist and sex-as-payment dialogue options in the game"

Fuck. I've got 27 hours played and I haven't had those. I want to play that Dead State!

"Also, I’d DEFINITELY like to clear up any thoughts about rape: YOU CAN NOT EVER, EVER, RECEIVE SEX AS PAYMENT OR THREATEN RAPE IN DEAD STATE."

Oh. Oh.... :(

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Mods will fix it.

Annie is in the comments playing defense against someone demanding ideological purity from the NPCs. There should be no racism or sexism coming from anyone unless they receive immediate comeuppance.

When SJW charges SJW with Thought Crime, its like watching the Inquisition turn on each other for heresy. :lol:

Perkel

Arcane
It will be amazing to watch next few years when someones creates post apocalyptic game in which:

- people work together to build better future
- no one rape, kill and steal
- everyone waits for everyone to finish their sentence
- everyone best solving scenario is 2 day debate on causes and future of mankind
- character generator doesn't have possibility to choose sex
- characters in world don't have also sex and they don't have any features differentiating them, all skin is censored and everyone talk in third person.

and realize they created game no one fucking want to play.

Imagine Blindness book without rape. Imagine Mad Max without mysognist mel gibson. Image Conan Trans-progressive Woman instead of Barbarian who like to rape and pillage.
Hell imagine Fallout 1/2 without drugs or guns.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
It will be amazing to watch next few years when someones creates post apocalyptic game in which:

- no one rape, kill and steal
- everyone waits for everyone to finish their sentence
- everyone best solving scenario is 2 day debate on causes and future of mankind
- character generator doesn't have possibility to choose sex
- characters in world don't have also sex and they don't have any features differentiating them, all skin is censored and everyone talk in third person.

and realize they created game no one fucking want to play.

Imagine Blindness book without rape. Imagine Mad Max without mysognist mel gibson. Image Conan Trans-progressive Woman instead of Barbarian who like to rape and pillage.
Hell imagine Fallout 1/2 without drugs or guns.

Unwanted
Shitposter
Nazi death cult center of jew medicine avoidance
If I say the words Merry Christmas to many around here they look at me like I am literally worse than Hitler.

Weirdly, for a game that focuses much on socio-political interaction, the RPG elements in Dead State are oddly lacking .Your allies stand like statues in various locations in the shelter. No one wanders about. No one strikes up a conversation with an ally. No one goes to the bathroom. They just hang around, waiting for you to open channels of communication. Frustratingly, there’s not much reason to do so. Conversation is invariably the same selection of questions and answers, over and over and over again.

Classic RPG stuff, there. I am literally actually enjoying her lack of enjoyment of the game.

oscar

Arcane
'Sampling' the game and glad as hell I didn't pay considering Annie and the bugginess/horrible UI.

Last edited:

Luka-boy

Arcane
Anyone here remember Fort Zombie? Same basic concept to a degree and well known for being buggy as hell though weirdly entertaining. Is this game's bugginess on that level?

cw8

Cipher
Anyway to get rid of fatigue? I tried not doing anything for 3 days and the debuff is still on the characters.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Annie is in the comments playing defense against someone demanding ideological purity from the NPCs. There should be no racism or sexism coming from anyone unless they receive immediate comeuppance.

Went to check out what she said, my eyes nearly rolled out of my fucking head when I read the line 'Also, we worked hard to make the game as non-abelist as possible'.:D

Jesus Christ, they made a paraplegic who's quite useful around the shelter and an idiot savant auto-mechanic. Which is fine! But that took hard work?:S They really had to put a lot of thought into this? Really rubs me the wrong way that there had to be ANY sort of conscious thought put into being NON-ABLEIST, that the main idea from the get go for a specific character was 'useful cripple' or 'useful retard', that a character was built around something like that.:S Just seems phony to me & forced. Eh, whatever.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anyway to get rid of fatigue? I tried not doing anything for 3 days and the debuff is still on the characters.
Yeah, Ovplain is right - weirdly, resting doesn't work. Only drinking an energy drink will cure this condition. One wonders what people did back before energy drinks hit store shelves. Just didn't stay up past 12 I guess. :P

Multi-headed Cow

Anyone here remember Fort Zombie? Same basic concept to a degree and well known for being buggy as hell though weirdly entertaining. Is this game's bugginess on that level?
I've played many a game of Fort Zombie and Dead State's buggy in a different way. FZ had piss poor performance, liked to crash, and had some really fucked up controls. DS' issues are mainly a whole lot of fucked up scripting (Stuff firing after you've already done whatever it's panicking about, talking about dead people like they're alive, etc) and some screwy maps. There was the partypocalpyse bug but that got fixed in a day.

Overall I'd kiiiiiinda say DS is less buggy than FZ. You kinda run into issues more but they're smaller issues.

Emily

Arcane
"Also, I’d DEFINITELY like to clear up any thoughts about rape: YOU CAN NOT EVER, EVER, RECEIVE SEX AS PAYMENT OR THREATEN RAPE IN DEAD STATE."
you had one golden opportunity and you blew it.
Fuck you game

Emily

Arcane
Everything must be super safe for females. There mustn't be even implications of any sexual crimes, or any abusiveness towards poc and females. Everything must be in perfect political correctness carefully aligned with social consensus
IN A FUCKING GAME WHERE YOU MURDER CORPSES AND PEOPLE

Multi-headed Cow

There there Bratislav. You do help a lady cut a guy's dick off and shove it into his throat, so it's not all bad.

Cassidy

Arcane
NON-ABLEIST

Seriously, I can cook up a better concept with more gameplay relevance in seconds, but not for this game, instead, imagine:

The best available mage NPC for recruitment in a Shadowrun-like setting is a paraplegic, who, initially at least, refuses to install legs cyberware, the only available means to allow him to walk like faster and better than a normal person, no matter how much the PC insists because cybernetic implants would hinder his great magical abilities. Convince him to become a not so great mage anymore who can walk, or stay as one of the greatest mages ever on a wheelchair with none of his essence tainted by cyberware?

:M

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Everything must be super safe for females. There mustn't be even implications of any sexual crimes, or any abusiveness towards poc and females. Everything must be in perfect political correctness carefully aligned with social consensus
IN A FUCKING GAME WHERE YOU MURDER CORPSES AND PEOPLE

Since Dead State is a game involving violence, it automatically fails the McIntosh test. No spot on FemFreq's curator list for this one.

Drakron

Arcane

I want to point out this is were its have to go, survival is no "oh noes, we are civilized and cannot into survivalism" that is complete bullshit, we are social animals and we cooperate out of instinct.

The problem with post apocalyptic comes more from people completely misreading things, if you go around just looting and not build or create anything you just degenerate into something humans haven been since the fucking Ice Age ... you want a fucking post apocalype? We had one ... many fucking times, people STILL congregated into groups.

Now the problem IS social dynamics because if you are a fucktard you arent going to be in charge as you are in current society, things will scale down to smaller groups and this is were tension should go, of having the group trust of not being a fucktard and other groups competing with your group for the same resources, how you handle them should be how the game should play ... maintaining people trust, not being a fucktrad and dealing with competing groups.

Yet nobody does that because ZOMBIES! ...

Perkel

Arcane

I want to point out this is were its have to go, survival is no "oh noes, we are civilized and cannot into survivalism" that is complete bullshit, we are social animals and we cooperate out of instinct.

The problem with post apocalyptic comes more from people completely misreading things, if you go around just looting and not build or create anything you just degenerate into something humans haven been since the fucking Ice Age ... you want a fucking post apocalype? We had one ... many fucking times, people STILL congregated into groups.

Now the problem IS social dynamics because if you are a fucktard you arent going to be in charge as you are in current society, things will scale down to smaller groups and this is were tension should go, of having the group trust of not being a fucktard and other groups competing with your group for the same resources, how you handle them should be how the game should play ... maintaining people trust, not being a fucktrad and dealing with competing groups.

Yet nobody does that because ZOMBIES! ...

You misread my opinion.

It's not about people joining groups. It's about using fucking common sense and our history. People didn't join in groups because they wanted it. They joined in groups because they fucking were forced as there were no other ways to live.

And i am not saying it in "gather food way". I am saying it in "fuck those other people and pillage them way". This is essentially why nations became a thing. Not because people cared about each other but because there were individuals who amassed power and used it to group people (mostly against their will) and beat the shit out of smaller groups thus forcing them to join other groups or form coalitions themselves.

And this works till this day. No country today would dissolve their army even if we live in most peaceful times ever.

As of fucktard. I used to think same way. Problem is it NEVER worked in real life. Your views don't matter. There are only actions and rule of iron fist that gets job done. Even today in so called democracy in time of war no one will give a shit about democracy and leaders will rule not asking anyone about their views as views are meaningless where actions are needed the most to get the job done. They will for example forcefully conscript people to army regardless of your views because your views doesn't matter to getting job done. Try to say no and you will be trialed for treason.

That is how it works. "Creating better future" talks comes ONLY after all your enemies are dead and no one can question "your" authority. Then you have spare time to play goody goody dude who helps people and tries to improve world.

I think best book about recreation of society is riverworld saga by Farmer. It deals with scenario in which shit ton of people reborn on other planet naked from different times (from stone age to future). It realistically depicts how words are useless and only actions matter how modern ideologies are only product of removing obstacles (usually by force) so those ideas can grow without competing in ruthless world.

Any modern idealogy is useless when faced with violence.

It's like setting up feminist and serial rapist in pit and betting who will win. One has words other has actions and world doesn't give a shit about moral superiority if it isn't something backed with successful actions.

That is why in post nuclear scenario people working together to build better future is oxymoron, especially if we consider scarity of resources and basic human elements that forces them to compete with each other.

Esquilax

Arcane
'Sampling' the game and glad as hell I didn't pay considering Annie and the bugginess/horrible UI.

I'm reluctant to play it, mostly because I'm turned off by the concept of zombie games altogether. But uh, why do a lot of people here suddenly dislike Annie? What happened?

That being said:

Also, I’d DEFINITELY like to clear up any thoughts about rape: YOU CAN NOT EVER, EVER, RECEIVE SEX AS PAYMENT OR THREATEN RAPE IN DEAD STATE. That is absolutely untrue. As a woman and developer I would never allow that in any game I made, and I don’t think anyone else on our team would either. You can be a threatening jerk in dialogue, but there is never any direct sexual menace. You can be a creep, but again, the person you are talking to has all of the agency, and can outright shut you down (simply by just going “NO, ew” and walking away) There is no way to cajole or force them, there is no way to threaten sexual violence. There is no way to exchange sex for anything. THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN.

I respect the fact that Annie doesn't want to provide such a horrific choice to the player if she doesn't feel comfortable in doing so, but I can't help but feel that it diminishes the atmosphere in a game like this. Society is crumbling around you, and there will inevitably be strong, violent and brutal people who will thrive in a situation like this who get off on their own power. They don't care about anyone else's agency, and without the laws of society to keep them in check, they thrive. I also think it's important to point out that sexual abuse from a person in a position of power as some sort of ego trip isn't exclusive to men; look up Lynndie England and the sick shit that she did at Abu Ghraib.

I feel like there's a real missed opportunity for a game to be extremely relevant in a powerful way to a lot of things that have gone on in society and present an interesting dichotomy between The Law of Man vs The Law of the Jungle by allowing the PC a chance to indulge in such a base level of cruelty.

No chance in hell anyone would make something like this, though. The controversy would be insane, and not in that "the only bad publicity is no publicity" way.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Remember all the rape scenes in the Romero films? Weird, me neither.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom