Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dead State: Reanimated

GloomFrost

Arcane
Havent played much so far. A bit disappointing I must say, very primitive and slow combat, very uncomfortable interface and BUUUUGS. It really is buggy. ! am 100% sure I will not be able to complete it. I mean Dead State makes Wasteland 2 look like an AAA expensive blockbuster. Not sure what to do now, keep playing it or just wait for patches.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Havent played much so far. A bit disappointing I must say, very primitive and slow combat, very uncomfortable interface and BUUUUGS. It really is buggy. ! am 100% sure I will not be able to complete it. I mean Dead State makes Wasteland 2 look like an AAA expensive blockbuster. Not sure what to do now, keep playing it or just wait for patches.

Which bugs are you experiencing?

Multi-headed Cow

Pretty sure the weight on riot helmets is bugged/fucked up. Military helmet weighs 3 pounds, fire helmet weighs 5 pounds, riot helmet weighs 13 pounds.

Edit: Just another case in point, SWAT body armor weighs 10 pounds.

Edit 2: Another possible bug, absolutely every time I've had an NPC ask me for stuff from the stash my only option is to say no. It shouldn't be that I'm low on supplies since I've got nearly 1k food and some 1,800 pounds of crap in the stash, but I've never had the option to let anyone take anything when they ask. Just screenshotted this one since it just happened again and reminded me. I kinda wonder if it's because the dialog is set up to look for luxury items in the stash, but because all luxury items are immediately "Stocked" when you come in from a mission you never have luxuries sitting around doing nothing.

A21835104BB0211E3B1516D6DFC00718821EEBFA

Last edited by a moderator:

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer

You can increase animation speed, BTW. Maybe won't fix your complaints, but I use it at max and makes quite a difference.

Multi-headed Cow

Urgh. Got ambushed in
the hospital
and lost my second medic and super ranger got chewed on by a zombie and infected. Sadly during my quick return trip to scoop up what was on the bodies my medic's body was gone. She wasn't infected and there weren't any other zombies around so I dunno what's up with that. Kind of a shame because she had my only shield. Pretty bad turn of events for some (As of now anyway) poor loot. My save is now SHEPARDS two dead medics. They're like my Spinal Tap drummers. Thank fuck for the adrenaline shots though. Heavy armor and shots kept me alive in that fight.
:badnews:

On the bright side, got 30-40ish antibiotics so I should be able to handle both Mexican chick and ranger being infected. Still, real damn shame I keep losing my medics every time they start leveling up and getting good.

GloomFrost

Arcane

You can increase animation speed, BTW. Maybe won't fix your complaints, but I use it at max and makes quite a difference.

Ok thanx.

Which bugs are you experiencing?

Save game got corrupted, had to start a new game, some items dissapear from my inventory, a lot of crashes, sometemes game gets very laggy all of a sudden (putting some settings on low makes things even worse). And that is just to name a few.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I've been trying to clear some motel for the past 2 and a half hours. Zombie turns take 5min each time. Especially long because zombies walk to and fro between two tiles. Fuuuuuck.

Multi-headed Cow

I've been trying to clear some motel for the past 2 and a half hours. Zombie turns take 5min each time. Especially long because zombies walk to and fro between two tiles. Fuuuuuck.
Make sure you crank the animation speed all the way up. Turns with a lot of combatants can still take entirely too long but that does help. When I first started playing I only creeped up the animation speed a bit, but after a while you definitely wanna go full.

Perkel

Arcane
yeah that going back and forth between two tiles is annoying.

My first thoughts after few in game days.

GAME FUCKING ROCKS ! I feel this will go into my RPG classics.

First of all.

Combat system. I didn't love square tiles but after a while it simply works. Sure sometimes NPCs take ankward path to reach something but overall i didn't see many problems with it. BUT. Game combat is fucking rewarding. First of all there is no XP for kills so there is no incentive to fight at all.
You fight because someone is obstacle to your target and sometimes it is more interesting to leave one shelf alone and don't risk damage and spending meds. Different kinds of attack for different weapons. Oh how i loved that shit in F1/2 now i can choose between one shitty quick stab or flurry of strikes. Guns are powerful but come at very very very definitive downside of noise and few potshots can generate enough heat to get the fuck out of there and leave loot alone. This creates very interesting scenarios where you try to fight off some looter and he uses shotgun just to bring living hell to you (when you thought it will be easy).

So combat itself as numerals and stats doesn't mean as much as tactic you are using to deal with problem which is something essential and forgotten when someones design combat for its game.

It is very rewarding to take sawn off shotgun go into a store full of bandits take a potshot and move out fuck of there and wait to see fireworks with bandits fighting zombies. Then you move in and in confussion you clear shelves.

All of that at cost of two shotgun bullets.

If game would have DOS asymetric turn based combat so that i woudn't need to see enemies combat it would be fucking perfect.

Then there is atmosphere. It's stellar. It feels like normal survivors fighting for survival instead of shitty tv drama. I am not deep enough into a game but after first few days it is amazing feeling.

Dialogues. Someone said they are shitty.. What the hell did you smoke ? They are imo good. Short and to the point and as in original Fallouts your PC has actual character compared to wooden " i don't mean to harm" Obsidian dialogue writing. You character can say ton of mean stuff and it is awesome.

Graphic. I think i don't need to point that this isn't really looker (suprise suprise) but hell i like it it has tone and definetely shows world is no longer sunny place.

Sound and music. From sound perspective game is good. Guns and stuff have proper "impact" which is something nice considering how many games make error in that aspect. As of music. No Mike Morgan here but ambient sound in vein of Silent Hill definitely works here.

Overall i am happy now. I would love to see this kickstarter being after DF and to see it with better funding (which probably had some major impacts on game). Definitely there is something amazing here that needs just more polish.

Hope Double Bear next RPG will have better funding. I didn't pledge toward DS as i didn't know back then about it (neither about ks or indiegogo etc) so when times comes they will have my money to fund their next project.

I will do full review when i finish game. I hope this game will be as good as first few days. I am yet to explore internal politics people spoke off.

BTW i feel like 2D for this game would be perfect. Or mix between 2D backgrounds and 3D characters (for best of both worlds).

Last edited:

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Derp. I didn't even know you could change the animation speed. That would have made my life so much easier.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
RPS review: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/12/11/pc-game-review-dead-state/

Despite these issues, do I like Dead State? I think so.

The mountainous list of responsibilities quickly becomes a second heartbeat. It flows with you. It orders your steps, your decisions, becomes central to all your major decisions. And when you’re least careful, it swallows you whole, dragging you into the heart of the experience. Dead State, like any good simulator, makes it easy to forget that you’re just a tourist, a visitor to this terrible land. Its ability to cultivate a suspension of disbelief even makes the game’s banal locations — supermarkets, pharmacies, and sleazy bars are everywhere on the map, just waiting to be unearthed — interesting. Dead State might well be the first game to have me excited at the discovery of an abandoned picnic.

As the world opens up and various crises occur, flavour is added to the functional processes that underpin the existence of the shelter and its inhabitants. The Crisis Events are especially important, and involve you being dragged centerstage into a community-based conflagration, where your opinion may make or break how the others view you. My first was disastrous. I opted to let the placid Davis experiment with a better water source and it caused a missionary and a sheriff to disapprove heavily of my “wishy-washy” behaviour. Whether by accident or not, this then led to the disappearance of my best melee fighter, and another bevy of complaints and requests. Problematic? Certainly, but also appealingly nail-biting as the Crisis Events make it clear that you can’t please everyone and that there is no right or wrong to anything in this game, only different shades of reality.

There are also many new allies to discover, providing an escape from the repetitive banter of those initial companions. But even as the game opens up, it is not without its problems. Technical issues arise from time to time – characters will occasionally glide, instead of walk, and they will clip through walls like part-time magicians.

Dead State is also a slow burn. Fences take hundreds of hours to build. Events unfold slowly over days, rather than at your whim. And resources? Resources are definitely scarce. Much of Dead State involves figuring out how to maintain a steady flow of food and fuel and luxury items and parts and whatever else your little commune needs, because they evaporate as quickly as water in the Sahara. The game will make you grit your teeth in frustration.

But it is also very good at making you feel triumphant.

I caught myself crowing in delight today, after cleaning out a supermarket of its goods. I killed twenty zombies, all without losing a single ally to infection or sudden death. My haul? About fifty pounds of food, ten gallons of fuel, and a pocketful of fresh berries. A pittance, really, given how quickly my survivors eat through their rations, and how rapidly the generator drains our fuel supplies. But it was more than anything I had acquired in the last three game days. Enough for me to last one night without going onto the field. (Which I will still do, but hey. The luxury of choice is a luxury indeed.)

And if that isn’t a success in this dead-eat-not-dead world, I don’t know what is.

Last edited:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Pretty sure the weight on riot helmets is bugged/fucked up. Military helmet weighs 3 pounds, fire helmet weighs 5 pounds, riot helmet weighs 13 pounds.
all the weights are pretty fucked up in this game. acoustic guitars weight 10lbs, twice as much as real life ones and more than the heaviest of electric guitars. snowblind, which looks like a normal longsword or bastard, weights 11, making it considerably heavier than heaviest combat swords in real life, unasume weights 9.5 pounds and it's supposed to be a katana... no real point arguing it.

Multi-headed Cow

Combat system. I didn't love square tiles but after a while it simply works.
So combat itself as numerals and stats doesn't mean as much as tactic you are using to deal with problem which is something essential and forgotten when someones design combat for its game.
The square tiles also allow for some special rules like pseudo-reach weapons. Two-handers with a range of 1 can attack diagonally while one-handers can't. You still end up with slightly weird things where moving diagonally one space uses two AP since you have to take two square steps, but eh.
And I felt the same toward the combat at first, but at the high end your equipment really does matter. Against soldiers with SPAS shotguns and sniper rifles and shit you desperately need good armor, and they'll almost all be wearing military armor at best and bulletproof vests at worst so you also desperately need powerful weapons. There is a degree more of "This is the higher level version of that old weapon" than I thought when I first started playing but it's still way, WAY less than in something like Wasteland 2. Equipment also makes a character more than stats and skills. Even a leveled up dude would get his ass kicked by a newbie in military armor with a rifle. That part thus far hasn't changed which I appreciate.

all the weights are pretty fucked up in this game. acoustic guitars weight 10lbs, twice as much as real life ones and more than the heaviest of electric guitars. snowblind, which looks like a normal longsword or bastard, weights 11, making it considerably heavier than heaviest combat swords in real life, unasume weights 9.5 pounds and it's supposed to be a katana... no real point arguing it.
No doubt, but they're marginally more consistent in Dead State's fucked up weight world. The guitar goes along with 3 pound pillows and shit more than "Well these other two heavy helmets weigh less than half of what this one does". Not sure about the sword though, that kinda sounds out of line with the weight of other melee weapons barring sledges.

Morkar Left

It's probably meant how cumbersome the stuff is to carry around instead of the real weight. Still, it's a bit odd.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
No doubt, but they're marginally more consistent in Dead State's fucked up weight world. The guitar goes along with 3 pound pillows and shit more than "Well these other two heavy helmets weigh less than half of what this one does". Not sure about the sword though, that kinda sounds out of line with the weight of other melee weapons barring sledges.
cricket bats have an accurate weight (though slightly tinged to the higher end of their spectrum). snowblind is pretty fucked up because it does only 5 more max dmg than hackjob, the unique fire axe, while also causing more noise (which also makes little to no sense), having twice its str requirement, and having worse stats for its special attacks, including wild swing which costs more and causes less dmg on snowblind than it does on hackjob.
there seems to be neither rl nor ingame logic to those stats, really.
It's probably meant how cumbersome the stuff is to carry around instead of the real weight. Still, it's a bit odd.
which is why you can carry infinite amounts of ammo, as it is weightless. i think it's safer to accept that the weights are just fucked and roll with it. or make a balance mod once the most annoying bugs are fixed.

Morkar Left

Infinite ammo would fit right in because it's easy to store compared to e.g. toiletpaper. But I don't want to defend it, it mildly annoys me as well. I prefer game systems that resemble reality over ones with an gamey approach.

I'm surprised this seems to be so good by codex standards (after all the "drama" surrounding it). Will there be an offical review once it's patched up a bit?

GloomFrost

Arcane
yeah that going back and forth between two tiles is annoying.

My first thoughts after few in game days.

GAME FUCKING ROCKS ! I feel this will go into my RPG classics.

First of all.

Combat system. I didn't love square tiles but after a while it simply works. Sure sometimes NPCs take ankward path to reach something but overall i didn't see many problems with it. BUT. Game combat is fucking rewarding. First of all there is no XP for kills so there is no incentive to fight at all.
You fight because someone is obstacle to your target and sometimes it is more interesting to leave one shelf alone and don't risk damage and spending meds. Different kinds of attack for different weapons. Oh how i loved that shit in F1/2 now i can choose between one shitty quick stab or flurry of strikes. Guns are powerful but come at very very very definitive downside of noise and few potshots can generate enough heat to get the fuck out of there and leave loot alone. This creates very interesting scenarios where you try to fight off some looter and he uses shotgun just to bring living hell to you (when you thought it will be easy).

It is very rewarding to take sawn off shotgun go into a store full of bandits take a potshot and move out fuck of there and wait to see fireworks with bandits fighting zombies. Then you move in and in confussion you clear shelves.

All of that at cost of two shotgun bullets.

If game would have DOS asymetric turn based combat so that i woudn't need to see enemies combat it would be fucking perfect.

Then there is atmosphere. It's stellar. It feels like normal survivors fighting for survival instead of shitty tv drama. I am not deep enough into a game but after first few days it is amazing feeling.

Dialogues. Someone said they are shitty.. What the hell did you smoke ? They are imo good. Short and to the point and as in original Fallouts your PC has actual character compared to wooden " i don't mean to harm" Obsidian dialogue writing. You character can say ton of mean stuff and it is awesome.

Graphic. I think i don't need to point that this isn't really looker (suprise suprise) but hell i like it it has tone and definetely shows world is no longer sunny place.

Sound and music. From sound perspective game is good. Guns and stuff have proper "impact" which is something nice considering how many games make error in that aspect. As of music. No Mike Morgan here but ambient sound in vein of Silent Hill definitely works here.

Overall i am happy now. I would love to see this kickstarter being after DF and to see it with better funding (which probably had some major impacts on game). Definitely there is something amazing here that needs just more polish.

Hope Double Bear next RPG will have better funding. I didn't pledge toward DS as i didn't know back then about it (neither about ks or indiegogo etc) so when times comes they will have my money to fund their next project.

I will do full review when i finish game. I hope this game will be as good as first few days. I am yet to explore internal politics people spoke off.

BTW i feel like 2D for this game would be perfect. Or mix between 2D backgrounds and 3D characters (for best of both worlds).

Are you seriously calling Obsidian writing "wooden"??? Now its my turn to ask what the hell did YOU smoke? Games like Mask of the betrayer and KOTOR 2 have some of the if not THE best writing in an entire God Damn gaming industry.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Infinite ammo would fit right in because it's easy to store compared to e.g. toiletpaper.
sharp tip arrows easier to store than toilet paper, which you can just put a string through and hang/tie to other stuff? i don't know, man.

Perkel

Arcane
Is it only me or inventory font used sometimes is unreadable ? I mean it look good but i need to lower my resolution like a lot to have no problems playing game on fucking 40tv. When i switch it to 1080p stuff like bullet number count is completely unreadable as fonts is like 1 pixel wide or even less than that.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Is it only me or inventory font used sometimes is unreadable ? I mean it look good but i need to lower my resolution like a lot to have no problems playing game on fucking 40tv. When i switch it to 1080p stuff like bullet number count is completely unreadable as fonts is like 1 pixel wide or even less than that.

Strange, can you post pics?

Perkel

Arcane
Are you seriously calling Obsidian writing "wooden"??? Now its my turn to ask what the hell did YOU smoke? Games like Mask of the betrayer and KOTOR 2 have some of the if not THE best writing in an entire God Damn gaming industry.

Writing player character dialogues. They are fucking wooden because Avelone and rest of Obsidian think that player character shouldn't have any predetermined character.

So instead of :

" Fuck you dude, I'll make my own team and i will rape your team "

they will use:

" I disagree, i will make my own team and beat you "

They want to have player character as neutral as possible to handle all kinds of player archetypes. Which is something Avellone pointed out in his now infameous Acranum LP
Yes i love their rest of writing but PC dialogue writing is subpar when they deal with non pregenerated character, simply wooden, robotic, blanket answers.

Probably biggest reason for it is that VA is costly so intead of creating few choices from which player can simply choose you have one as neutral as possible, sometimes two choices but still rather neutral.

Now imagine Fallout 1/2 without those lines of dialogs where you can tell people to eat shit and die.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
-Anyone else have piss poor performance with this game? The in game cursor (and the gameitself) seems to lag at least a second behind what I am actually doing. Its maddening. I am playing this via steam (er...trying to play it) and its too frustrating based on the way its running.

I have more than enough computer to handle this game- In fact, it should run flawlessly. I have an i7 intel with 16 gb of ram and an Nvidia 850 gpu on an alienware lappy and there isnt much I cannot run in ultra/high setting.

TBH I dont really have time to play this anyhow atm and have a massive list of games to get through so I'm hoping this issue is fixed assuming this isnt just me getting it. But when checking the game out OI had to shut it down at the first area with the plane since it was lagging like fuck.

-Thanks.

Sounds like its using your onboard card rather than the 850...laptop so I assume it has Optimus crap. Try forcing the game to use your main gfx in nvidia conrol panel
fixed it thanks!!!!!!!!!

Weird I dont have to do that with any other games- But your suggestion did the trick and if it happens again I know what to do.

-Thanks again man. =)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom