Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dead State: Reanimated

Lhynn

Arcane
Davis building a watch tower and fixing a fence better than the rest of the members of the shelter actually broke my suspension of disbelief. Ah well.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Davis building a watch tower and fixing a fence better than the rest of the members of the shelter actually broke my suspension of disbelief. Ah well.
i find that incredibly funny. seriously, the dead coming back from the grave didn't, the acoustic guitars weighting almost as much as heavy duty sewing machines didn't, the turn based combat (which is completely bonkers as far as suspension of disbelief goes) didn't, but the guy in the wheelchair being slightly more useful than a brick did.
:lol:

Drakron

Arcane
It's about using fucking common sense and our history. People didn't join in groups because they wanted it. They joined in groups because they fucking were forced as there were no other ways to live.

No.

Humans are apes, we are social creatures to the point social interaction is a need ... social groups didnt happened because sentience, they happened because there was a clear line of evolution that dictated such behavior, a lot of animals also are social creatures outside apes and their behavior is not caused by intelligence but engrained behavior.

The point I tried to make is that if order ceased we suddenly dont degenerate to murderous cannibalism rapists or such idiocy that usually comes in survival stories, the lack of control may allow some individuals to simply act on their anti-social behavior and like we did millennia ago we just murder the motherfucker, humans ARE aggressive but also pack creatures, just because centralized government ceases to exist will not change that, its not "the man" that forces the "law" into society ... what society we have is the result of millennia of social evolution, not something forced unto humans.

Also we have countries with no armies, even if they are small armies are not required to enforce law (as you fuckwits Americans keep proving its a general bad idea), that is the POLICE job ... even a fucking militia is a ORGANIZED force, a mob is not but even a mob just highlights human behavior into iinstinctively banding into a common goal and a mob doesnt think, it just reacts.

You arent a special snowflake, if you think you are "above" the rest of us because "you think" ... then you are not human, we might be sentient but we also have instinctual behavior that will get the best of us no matter how hard one think he can hold unto "reasoning", if you see a crowd running away your instinct will be to follow them , not because its smart but simply because its what everyone is doing.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i find that incredibly funny. seriously, the dead coming back from the grave didn't, the acoustic guitars weighting almost as much as heavy duty sewing machines didn't, the turn based combat (which is completely bonkers as far as suspension of disbelief goes) didn't, but the guy in the wheelchair being slightly more useful than a brick did.

All the things you listed are either consistent with the setting, trivial or gameplay abstractions. A cripple building a tower otoh is just bizarre.

Multi-headed Cow

There there Bratislav. You do help a lady cut a guy's dick off and shove it into his throat, so it's not all bad.

:what:
That was the mission I did last night. This evening I got abortion supplies so I can abort a baby back at the shelter. ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE YO

(also found a chicken which i'm pretty excited about because i knew i could build a chicken coop but hadn't found any chickens until now)

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
a cripple building a tower is a gameplay abstraction, as building time is dependent on skill and applicable personal perks alone.

Multi-headed Cow

If he was building it by himself, sure, but since generally speaking no one builds anything by themselves in Dead State you can just assume he's assembling gubbinz on the ground and/or wheeling supplies around.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
a cripple building a tower is a gameplay abstraction, as building time is dependent on skill and applicable personal perks alone.

No, it's idiocy. The skill and perks are the abstraction, but it would be stupid to apply them to a rock because a rock is not capable of building a tower. Neither is a cripple.

dryan

Arcane
A cripple building a tower is as unlikely as a retard developing a video game, and yet...

Dead people are unable to walk around and kill things.

That was the mission I did last night. This evening I got abortion supplies so I can abort a baby back at the shelter. ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE YO

"Claire, humanity is dying"

"MY BODY MY CHOICE, SHITLORD"

"Claire, stop screaming. They are attracted by loud noises. We might be the last humans alive. Can you at least consider- "

"HELP! I AM BEING HARASSED!"

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
No, it's idiocy. The skill and perks are the abstraction, but it would be stupid to apply them to a rock because a rock is not capable of building a tower. Neither is a cripple.
it would be stupid to apply them to dead bodies either, yet there they are, having skills and being capable of movement and other stuff that dead bodies just aren't capable of. seriously. their hearts aren't pumping blood anymore, their tissue is rotting, yet there they are capable not only of random, but coordinated movement and incredibly complex movement tasks like balancing a humanoid body in a standing position without falling over.
not to mention that that shitty tower can have most of its parts built and assembled in a horizontal position, using trivial amounts of other people's time to do assembly work where he couldn't reach himself and for the final propping up with ropes, or that it should only ever be a suspension of disbelief problem when davis works alone on it for the entire duration of the project, since he'd still be perfectly capable of formulating a good workplan that would speed up shit considerably and coordinating people when working with others. but yeah.

Multi-headed Cow

Dead people are unable to walk around and kill things.

"Claire, humanity is dying"

"MY BODY MY CHOICE, SHITLORD"

"Claire, stop screaming. They are attracted by loud noises. We might be the last humans alive. Can you at least consider- "

"HELP! I AM BEING HARASSED!"
Hahaha, not only that, my PC is the one that does the abortion. Come back to the shelter covered in slime and zombie guts and say SPREAD YOUR LEGS LADY, MY 0 MEDICAL SKILL ASS IS DOING THIS INSTEAD OF ANYONE WITH ANY MEDICAL SKILL AT ALL IN THE SHELTER. Then after my PC gets to say "Uh, won't your boyfriend be pissed about this and come after me" and then she says "NO IT'S OK BRO, WHEN HE COMES TO KICK YOUR TEETH IN I'LL BE THERE FOR YOU".

I'm gonna go stay in the chicken coop with my new chicken.

Edit: And now the shit's hitting the fan and worst of all the NPCs are calling me they and theirs because they don't have a gender check in dialog I guess.

Edit 2: And now I've got a dialog option of "I'm sorry I didn't tell you beforehand, but it was her decision". Technically I did try to talk to him before 'cause I didn't want to send him into a frenzy or anything and there were 0 dialog options to tell him shit. He was even with me on the looting run to the abortion clinic, BLISSFULLY UNAWARE.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
it would be stupid to apply them to dead bodies either, yet there they are, having skills and being capable of movement and other stuff that dead bodies just aren't capable of. seriously. their hearts aren't pumping blood anymore, their tissue is rotting, yet there they are capable not only of random, but coordinated movement and incredibly complex movement tasks like balancing a humanoid body in a standing position without falling over.

No, it wouldn't be stupid, because it's consistent with the setting. The setting does not, as far as I know, give cripples superpowers. Unless this asshole's Professor X, it's stupid and thrown in because the designer had so little imagination they can't even come up with a good skillset for their anti-ableist token.

not to mention that that shitty tower can have most of its parts built and assembled in a horizontal position, using trivial amounts of other people's time to do assembly work where he couldn't reach himself and for the final propping up with ropes, or that it should only ever be a suspension of disbelief problem when davis works alone on it for the entire duration of the project, since he'd still be perfectly capable of formulating a good workplan that would speed up shit considerably and coordinating people when working with others. but yeah.

You obviously haven't done a single honest day's work in your life if you think not being able to reach is his only problem.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Guy in a wheelchair built a (presumably wheelchair-accessible) tower...? And in general seems suspiciously agile and dexterous?

This better be the ending:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
it's stupid and thrown in because the designer had so little imagination they can't even come up with a good skillset for their anti-ableist token.
whether he is some anti-ableist token or isn't, there is a good gameplay reason for him to be bound to a wheelchair, so you'll always have at least one person staying in the base.
second, mechanics is practical and theoretical knowledge, which you imply he should be incapable of acquiring (at least that's how the above reads), and as a skill in the game is used for a ton of different things, including things that he should be capable of doing just fine, like gun modification or minor repairs, and when he is working with other people on stuff you think should be impossible for him, you can pretty much assume that he is coordinating without probs, so it applies only to a few border cases, as i wrote previously. so you want them to either split it in two skills, or overload his wheelchair perk with shit that gives time multipliers based on individual projects, both of which is a lot of work for relatively little effect.
You obviously haven't done a single honest day's work in your life if you think not being able to reach is his only problem.
:nocountryforshitposters:
i think his problems are mobility and certain kinds of lifting, both of which can be assumed to be made trivial with random non-steady help from other people in the shelter in the background. same way you assume somebody helped him first get down and then get up the fucking stairs to the basement, where the game starts (and where also some of the repairs he does take place, like the water pump that sparks the first crisis event), and same way you assume the cook doesn't actually cook food for 10 fucking hours straight.

you're almost ranting about a very minor thing in a game with bigger issues, dood.
I dunno man. Animals can't be BRED nor SLAUGHTERED.
chickens are slaughtered if your coop is full or not built :M
shame you can't slaughter and eat the horses, though... especially since horse meat is pretty damn tasty.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If the realism of a guy in a wheelchair being able to do things is this game's biggest problem, then it is the best game of all time. :)

oscar

Arcane
A few comments on the off-chance the developers frequent here:

- The UI for party commands is unbelievably bad. No acknowledgement that you've clicked it and its in effect, no cursor change when your applying it, no description of the skill's actual effects, no notifications (textual or visual) of who has been buffed. Was this feature slapped on at the last minute or implemented early and forgotten about during development?
- Inventory management is awful. Why can't I manage character's inventories at base? Instead I have to manually send out a party to a location and fiddle around with it there
- Inaccessible loot on the truck stop I found. No matter how I positioned myself I couldn't access the gas inside the truck despite being one square away from it

I think there's an interesting game there somewhere but it needed a month or two more polish

cw8

Cipher
- Inventory management is awful. Why can't I manage character's inventories at base? Instead I have to manually send out a party to a location and fiddle around with it there

Shelter storage. There's a drop-down menu at the top left of the interface for all characters. Can manage your inventory there. Must admit it took me awhile to notice that menu and I was using zombie corpses to manage my inventory.

SniperHF

Arcane
A few comments on the off-chance the developers frequent here:

You actually Can do this. Head to the storage at the shelter by the basement staircase. There's a drop down menu.

My biggest interface issue is how things are separated.
You can't see character's skills/stats in the storage screen so unless you remember it's a guessing game. Similar issue for AP costs on weapon descriptions. But these issues have existed since the beta.

If you haven't gotten far enough yet; keep going and explore some of the more exotic locations. The first of which are probably the other shelters. They easily make some of the various headaches worth it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom