Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls is very easy

• Thread starter Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal
  • Start date

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Is Demon Souls worth playing?
Demon's Souls is still the best Souls game.

demonssouls-archstonet2iuk.png
demonssouls-archstone7pcy1.png
demonssouls-archstonetjeik.png
demonssouls-archstoneggdqs.png
demonssouls-archstonevniq1.png

demonssouls-maideninbm5fhw.gif

Soul of the mind, key to life's ether.
Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.
So the world might be mended.

Is Demon Souls worth playing?
The original, yes. The remake? Hell, no!
?The remake is great. Drop dead gorgeous and 60 frames with instant load times.
Butchered art, butcherered music (Flamelurker theme went from being an oppressive funeral dirge to generic bombastic film score #1923893489), butchered UI is a tough sell, especially when you can play the original at 4k/60 on RPCS3.

The game looks fuggin incredible. I dare say there's never been a better looking game.
3753258-dsthumb.jpg
Technically excellent, yes, but looks much more generic than the original. There's just no comparison. Plus there's a lot of little details in the levels that made sense and which got changed for no reason at all other than "looks better to me".

Re: soundtrack, here are just two examples of massive decline IMO:

Original Flamelurker music:

Powerful, foreboding, oppressive, memorable. Still my favourite piece of music across all Souls games.

Remake:

Generic, Danny Elfman choirs, sounds like every other overblown orchestral score. Zero personality. Completely forgettable.

---

Original Adjudicator music:

Interesting instrumentation, understated and insidious. Fits the theme of the boss pretty well (clumsy fat fuck)

Remake:

Generic choir staccato string piece #8938498945. Another Danny Elfman wannabe. Where's the cool woodwind instrument?

There are many other examples. The visuals also reflect this misunderstanding of the original style.

Last edited:
The art really didn't change all that much. Why you people always gotta be so overdramatic about everything?
I liked the remake and played it to completion a few times. It's fine. However, it's inferior to the original in many respects, and if I were to ever replay DeS again, I'd replay the original through an emulator.

No drama about it. Bluepoint did the same thing to Shadow of the Colossus, a game with exquisite art direction that they butchered for the PS4 remake, making it much more generic. It's a shame too, because the team is technically excellent and they did a prior SotC remaster that was very good for the PS3. In that case, they didn't fuck with the original art but cleaned up the technical aspects. It's the best way to play the game (not the original PS2 release, which runs like dogshit).

So I'm not some purist zealot in this case. I just don't like people fucking up excellent art and replacing it with more generic stuff.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
The art really didn't change all that much. Why you people always gotta be so overdramatic about everything?
I liked the remake and played it to completion a few times. It's fine. However, it's inferior to the original in many respects, and if I were to ever replay DeS again, I'd replay the original through an emulator.

No drama about it. Bluepoint did the same thing to Shadow of the Colossus, a game with exquisite art direction that they butchered for the PS4 remake, making it much more generic. It's a shame too, because the team is technically excellent and they did a prior SotC remaster that was very good for the PS3. In that case, they didn't fuck with the original art but cleaned up the technical aspects. It's the best way to play the game (not the original PS2 release, which runs like dogshit).

So I'm not some purist zealot in this case. I just don't like people fucking up excellent art and replacing it with more generic stuff.
How is it more generic? It’s just different because they used more of a realistic western style

Falksi

Arcane
It's another example of old limits counterweighted by style and effort.
High resolution and fancy effects ain't cut it
dHJNivC.jpeg
Jesus, how the downgrade for most of the latter entries is huge. How the fuck can those people have such little grasp on contrast and context?

How is it more generic? It’s just different because they used more of a realistic western style
You answered your own question. "Realistic western style" = homogenized crap

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
dHJNivC.jpeg
Jesus, how the downgrade for most of the latter entries is huge. How the fuck can those people have such little grasp on contrast and context?
They are millennials.

They should release proper remake on PC as freeware, call it classic game which they are releasing for use of future generations, and be done with that.

Dr1f7

Scholar
dHJNivC.jpeg
i love how many of the remake images have the soyest looking twitch streamer's face overlayed on a quarter of the screen. nice artistic touch

Yeah, Old Hero looks terrible in the remake. Same for Fool's Idol, Maiden in Black and various other NPCs, to a lesser degree.

From's art department is unmatched and I think that's just down to Miyazaki's own taste, most likely. He probably has a final say in most things and after a while artists already know to follow their instructions and produce things he'd like.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
People keep saying if you don't like the remake don't play it, but the main problem is this shitty remake destroyed the possibility of getting a good remake anytime soon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom