Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls is very easy

• Thread starter Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal
  • Start date

Wunderbar

Arcane
A majority of the game is running through areas over and over. I’m not a masochist who likes that type of gameplay. And the running around like a headless chicken is basically “Git gud.”
Majority of the game is about treading into unknown and getting punished for carelessness. If you're calling backtracking to the place where you died "masochism", then the game isn't for you.

I'm not talking about patching anything here, I'm talking about at the design phase. Also if you run out of potions on a save and have to suffer for it isn't that part of your "lol git gud" philosophy? Or no?
allowing players to be permanently stuck isn't a good design. You're given a certain amount of healing to use during a certain stretch of a game. If you think it's not enough, kindle bonfire to get 5 more charges. No need to worry about running out of healing, no need to farm it from weak enemies.

The one was at the top of a tower where you had no idea what was there until you saw him. What the fuck are you talking about?
ah, that one. Then i apologise, that dude indeed came out of nowhere.
However, there aren't many occasions of something like this attacking you, being vigilant is all you need to avoid death.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm talking about at the design phase.
I think you underestimate how much would have to be changed to accommodate a different save system. You're talking about designing a fundamentally different game. Why, again, can't we who like checkpoint-based saves be allowed one game to enjoy in a sea of save-anywhere?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
If you're calling backtracking to the place where you died "masochism", then the game isn't for you.

Well, isn't it masochism?
Honestly I haven't even tried this Derp Souls, I only tried that Demon's Souls or whatever.
Guess just backtracking over and over cuz muh difficulty is not for me. Can't imagine something more uninteresting and mind-numbing than going through the same shit I already did, just to kill a guy that I couldn't.
I hardly consider this difficulty anyway. It's more like testing your endurance. As someone said, it's usually newfags who grew up on games that play themselves who see these games as zomg ultra-difficult.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Majority of the game is about treading into unknown and getting punished for carelessness. If you're calling backtracking to the place where you died "masochism", then the game isn't for you.

I get the former, I just don't like the latter. If that surprise knight is a rarity though I'll keep going and see what's what. I definitely saw the mage who raped me last night, I just didn't expect him to be so difficult or for the three fast undead dudes to all rush me at once. At least on that one I don't have to redo much, I just lost souls. We'll see how it shakes out in the play session I'm about to start.

I think you underestimate how much would have to be changed to accommodate a different save system. You're talking about designing a fundamentally different game. Why, again, can't we who like checkpoint-based saves be allowed one game to enjoy in a sea of save-anywhere?

I'm not trying to take away your game dude, I'm just trying to figure out if I can enjoy it.

Gerrard

Arcane
I recently had a great glimpse into how cucked the souls fanboys are
"If you use a shield you're playing wrong"
"If you overlevel content you're playing wrong"
"If you use powerful weapons you're playing wrong"
If you're not sticking a spiked dildo up your ass every time you get hit you're playing wrong.
It's a fucking game you cucks, the objective is to beat the game, not keep getting fucked by it.

I'm not trying to take away your game dude, I'm just trying to figure out if I can enjoy it.

Seems to me you might like later Souls games better as they allow you to fast travel between bonfires from the very start of the game, being that "backtracking" is one of your main complaints. For most of us this first half of DS is some of the best this series has to offer.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I agree with Flay, yes 2 & 3 were far more enjoyable games because in DS1, backtracking, combat, and other aspects are to slow and clunky. I like Souls 2/3 because there fast and smooth (What I expect from action games, not a slow grindfest.)

Deflowerer

Arcane
Free saving anywhere breaks every game, to be honest. Checkpoints (unless they are designed like modern games, tho) generally always up the ante as you could potentially lose minutes-hours of your playtime and have to redo some of the content.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Seems to me you might like later Souls games better as they allow you to fast travel between bonfires from the very start of the game, being that "backtracking" is one of your main complaints. For most of us this first half of DS is some of the best this series has to offer.

That sounds like a good improvement, since I was thinking about giving the first black knight another shot but realized I'd have to backtrack a long ass way to do it. Warping to the closer campfire would make it much better. Do I get that ability in this game at some point?

Anyway, I killed the gargoyles and rang the first bell. This game isn't really that hard once you understand it (assuming the gargoyles aren't easy compared to the other bosses). It took me three tries but that's mainly because on the first two I didn't realize that holding your shield up stopped your endurance from regenerating. Once I learned to keep my shield down until they were close I pretty much kicked their asses. The shield also seems less important than I originally thought it was, as it seems like running to the side of attacks is often just as effective if not more so (and I'm playing a fat heavy armor dude). Other thing I realized is that it's a fucking Japanese game so I should probably grind a little, so I made a loop around the church a few times before the boss and gained a few levels of endurance to help with blocking. I guess most people would read a wiki for this type of info now-a-days but oh well.

Anyway the backtracking still annoys the shit out of me. Every time I had to kill all those zombies in the church to reach the boss again I let out what I would call a heavy sigh. It's not THAT bad though, and I think I like the game enough to deal with it. Assuming there aren't worse examples to come, anyway.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
This game isn't really that hard once you understand it (assuming the gargoyles aren't easy compared to the other bosses). It took me three tries but that's mainly because on the first two I didn't realize that holding your shield up stopped your endurance from regenerating. Once I learned to keep my shield down until they were close I pretty much kicked their asses. The shield also seems less important than I originally thought it was, as it seems like running to the side of attacks is often just as effective if not more so

Some areas favour blocking. Others favour rolling. Others parrying and/or plunge attacks. No style is set in stone to be "the best", even though rolling has its most advantages.

Other thing I realized is that it's a fucking Japanese game so I should probably grind a little, so I made a loop around the church a few times before the boss and gained a few levels of endurance to help with blocking. I guess most people would read a wiki for this type of info now-a-days but oh well.

This is close to the truth, but still inaccurate. Exploration is rewarded in Dark Souls, and the discovery of the elevator shortcut (more Estus) plus the blacksmith, can really make a difference.

Also, if you're analytical, and you look at the increments of your upgrades of weapons vs armour, you'll quickly reach the conclusion upgrading your arms is far more beneficial.

And then as far as armour goes: torso and legs being the most important. Arms and head last.

If you also read the manual (yes, the game has one) and you know about the benefits of being human, get all the way to the boss fog door for a pleasant surprise.

The game is not hard. The git gud meme is just that: a meme and a joke. Why DS is good is the atmosphere. The design. And many more other things I hope you experience.

:love:

Warping to the closer campfire would make it much better. Do I get that ability in this game at some point?

Yes, you get that ability. Though you are not able to warp between every bonfire like in later Souls games but you can warp between more important ones eventually. As for the shields, I use them in DS but never in DS II as 8 directional rolling allows for way better dodging and that costs a lot less stamina than blocking, so I just use that hand to equip something else instead. Like an item that allows spell casting. And yes, Endurance is easily one of most important stats. I generally only touch other stats, like STR or DEX, just enough to equip the weapon I need and then raise END to 40 first. Maybe some VIT if you feel like you are dying too fast.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Killed the first black knight, he was kinda easy at a higher level. No weapon drop though, boo-hoo. The second one at the top of the tower still slaughters me, one hit breaks my endurance through my shield and hits me for damage. I wandered around the church area for a ton of time having no idea where to go before googling it and finding out I got a key I didn't notice for a door on the bridge. Yeah yeah, "need quest arrows noob?" I've never been good at this Metroid style design because it requires you to remember nuances from before and my memory is shit.

Anyway I don't think I've ever had a stronger love/hate relationship with the game. I love half of it and literally despise the other half. Also I'd say it's more a Metroidvania action game with stats, rather than an RPG, but I don't want to get into THAT argument really.

Killed the first black knight, he was kinda easy at a higher level. No weapon drop though, boo-hoo.

That's actually good. That weapon breaks the early to mid game. And there's plenty of other good weapons to choose from.

Anyway I don't think I've ever had a stronger love/hate relationship with the game. I love half of it and literally despise the other half.

You will make fine soulsfag, don't you worry. Pretty soon it will be "lol ez gaem".

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That's actually good. That weapon breaks the early to mid game. And there's plenty of other good weapons to choose from.

I'm using a battle axe +5 at the moment but wondering if that was a poor decision. I'm already slow as a heavy armor sword and board guy, and the axe is even slower. I got a cool sword off the skeletons but it's two-handed which blows. The best normal sword I have is a LOT weaker than the axe. Hoping to find something better soonish.

I'm using a battle axe +5 at the moment but wondering if that was a poor decision. I'm already slow as a heavy armor sword and board guy, and the axe is even slower. I got a cool sword off the skeletons but it's two-handed which blows. The best normal sword I have is a LOT weaker than the axe. Hoping to find something better soonish.

All of the weapons can be one handed. The STR requirement on weapon actually tells you how much of it you need to one hand. You need less STR for two handing. I'm assuming you are talking about Zweihander, which indeed is one of best STR weapons in game. I used it on my first run. There's also a Claymore, another solid STR weapon, you can pick up on that bridge with red dragon. If you haven't figured out how to run past it to bonfire ahead - just hide behind the wall near that stairway until dragon loses patience and jumps down, then make a run for it. Probably better to be under 25% load for that part.

Wunderbar

Arcane
i'm using a battle axe +5 at the moment but wondering if that was a poor decision.
every weapon is viable, it's just a matter of whether you like the moveset or not. At that point titanite shards are both farmable and in infinite supply at Andre's store, so you can experiment with any weapon you can put your hands on.

DalekFlay btw, there is a dedicated dark souls thread.

I got a cool sword off the skeletons but it's two-handed which blows. The best normal sword I have is a LOT weaker than the axe. Hoping to find something better soonish.
All of the weapons can be one handed. The STR requirement on weapon actually tells you how much of it you need to one hand. You need less STR for two handing. I'm assuming you are talking about Zweihander, which indeed is one of best STR weapons in game. I used it on my first run. There's also a Claymore, another solid STR weapon, you can pick up on that bridge with red dragon. If you haven't figured out how to run past it to bonfire ahead - just hide behind the wall near that stairway until dragon loses patience and jumps down, then make a run for it. Probably better to be under 25% load for that part.
i think he's talking about murakumo.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
i think he's talking about murakumo.

No he's right, Zweihander. I wasn't sure where to go after gargoyles so I went into that cemetery and found it. Didn't go in the cave though because the skeletons got me down to like 2 flasks. Now I know to go somewhere else next anyway.

I just looked it up and Zwei needs 24 STR to one-hand and I think I have 20, so maybe I'll give it a go. Don't feel like I can toss out my shield after 10 hours of learning how to fucking use it.

The strong attack on Zweihander will get you through many encounters. Just don't go over 50% percent equip load, it's never worth it. Except maybe for cheesing one of the bosses with Havel's armor set. But that's not soon for you. Past first run I never went above 25% load, actually. But it's ok to go heavier for first run, when you are not familiar with enemy attack patterns yet and thus have harder time avoiding damage.

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Battle Axe is the same weapon I used on my first playthrough, until I switched to the Zweihander about halfway through. So yeah, good plan. I would pay close attention to keys from now on if I were you. Read their descriptions too.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The strong attack on Zweihander will get you through many encounters. Just don't go over 50% percent equip load, it's never worth it. Except maybe for cheesing one of the bosses with Havel's armor set. But that's not soon for you. Past first run I never went above 25% load, actually. But it's ok to go heavier for first run, when you are not familiar with enemy attack patterns yet and thus have harder time avoiding damage.

Pretty sure I'm rolling heavy. Using whatever the Knight starting armor is except I got a fancy new gargoyle helm. I don't even think I've seen medium armor to try out? Everything is either rags or crappier heavy armor. I'll check the stores and maybe experiment.

Pretty sure I'm rolling heavy. Using whatever the Knight starting armor is except I got a fancy new gargoyle helm. I don't even think I've seen medium armor to try out? Everything is either rags or crappier heavy armor. I'll check the stores and maybe experiment.

It's better to stay under 50% load than to have more armor. Knights set is medium armor. Truly heavy stuff you haven't seen yet. In any case, stay below 50 at any cost. Your weapons takes priority in weight distribution, armor comes second. Use rags if you have to stay below weight threshold.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I had the most fun in Dark Souls when summoning people with different builds/classes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom