Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls is very easy

• Thread starter Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal
  • Start date

cruel

Cipher
I was playing Dark Souls totally blind, no reading whatsoever. Because of that, this was one of my hardest gaming experiences ever.

- fighting skeletons directly after arriving at Firelink (wrong way)
- Catacombs, under-leveled. Total panic when skeletons are coming back and you have no idea why. No divine weapon of course.
- entering Capra demon for the first time with lot of Souls accumulated
- falling down to Basilisks in Depths, curse. No idea how to fix that, playing with half of your health bar
- entering Blighttown with half of your health
- becoming Toxic with zero idea why it happened
- fighting Quelaag with +1 halberd (no idea that titanite shards are infinite)

But all of that contributed to an absolutely magical experience. Amazing game.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

My only derp moment was with the Twin Archers of Anor Londo, where I assumed you would get hit in the back by the one on the left, if you tried to deal with the one on the right.

So I left, and took a darker road into a forest, where I found, amongst a puppy and some mushrooms, a bow - which, turns out, can shoot further than other bows. Having been through Blighttown, I learned a few things about arrows dipped in poison... and the rest is history.

That whole thing took me 5 days to figure out.

I wept like a small child when I saw people just walk up to the knight, and him just fall down in the gap.

Magical.

P.S.: Eventually I learned to parry everything, in case you were wondering. :)

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here

8OBl296.gif

Falksi

Arcane
I was playing Dark Souls totally blind, no reading whatsoever. Because of that, this was one of my hardest gaming experiences ever.

- fighting skeletons directly after arriving at Firelink (wrong way)
- Catacombs, under-leveled. Total panic when skeletons are coming back and you have no idea why. No divine weapon of course.
- entering Capra demon for the first time with lot of Souls accumulated
- falling down to Basilisks in Depths, curse. No idea how to fix that, playing with half of your health bar
- entering Blighttown with half of your health
- fighting Quelaag with +1 halberd (no idea that titanite shards are infinite)

Now this is the way.

I confess that my first playthrough of Dark Souls 1 pushed me to leaning on consulting a few guides. Tbh I'm glad I did as it allowed me to get into it quicker, but once the basics were down I just cracked on similarly to yourself and got a much better experience for it. The later Souls game I played straight with no leaning, and again it was just so much more rewarding.

Honestly, when people talk about games being "easy" I totally discount their opinion if they've even glanced at any form of guide, walkthrough or explanatory vid about the game. The instruction manual and in-game tutorial set the game up how it's designed to be experienced. If folk are expanding on that then they may as well be entering cheat codes as they aren't getting the true experience.

There's a fuck load of "Souls is easy" players out there that would still be stuck on the Bell Gargoyles had they had to figure the game out by themselves.

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
No shit. After you play them for so long it becomes second nature. I hate the fans who brag about the difficulty as much as the people who bitch about the difficulty. It's just a way of life. Either get with the program or gtfo. Difficulty is not why this is the greatest game series of all time.

Falksi

Arcane
No shit. After you play them for so long it becomes second nature. I hate the fans who brag about the difficulty as much as the people who bitch about the difficulty. It's just a way of life. Either get with the program or gtfo. Difficulty is not why this is the greatest game series of all time.
I dunno, I think the difficulty adds to that sense of reward. I mean I look at classics like The Immortal and one of the reasons those games stuck with me so much is because that difficulty really satisfied me to overcome.

I agree about the bragging and bitching bollocks though, hence my point about the guides. There's a lot of self-important Souls completionists and Souls-hating people out there who don't seem to focus on the games' quality. The difficulty is tied in with that, but the games themselves are still mint regardless.

Last edited:

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I dunno, I think the difficulty adds to that sense of reward. I mean I look at classics like The Immortal and one of the reasons those games stuck with me so much is because that difficulty really satisfied me to overcome.

I agree about the bragging and bitching bollocks though, hence my point about the guides. There's a lot of self-important and Souls-hating people out there who don't seem to focus on the games' quality. The difficulty is tied in with that, but the games themselves are still mint regardless.
It's part of the sense of reward yeah. But when you go back on a 2nd playthrough and beat that things ass that gave you such a hard time the first go? That's equally rewarding. I remember way back when I first played Demon's Souls the Flamelurker and Maneaters were absolute nightmares for me. When I played the remake a few months back I spanked their ass in a couple tries. That felt good. It felt good because it's real life character growth. In the back of my mind I knew how to beat them. That knowledge stayed with me for over a decade and I didn't even know it.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Darks Souls 1 was hard because it was the first time with the game.
Dark Souls 2 was hard, but mostly for the wrong reasons - stat that sets how many invincibility frames you get, hitboxes being funky and enemy attacks being literally glued to player, unlike for example Unreal AI where enemies shoots projectile at your possible path of movement. Heide Knights can get their attack animation interrupted, yet still deals damage.
Only good part was Majula - when music kicks in.
DS2 was the only one I was agree with angry cashuals that "didn't play fair".
Just stared 3rd DS and it already feels much better.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
I wonder how many people would've missed the DLC content if they hadn't used guides.

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Dark Souls 2 was hard, but mostly for the wrong reasons - stat that sets how many invincibility frames you get, hitboxes being funky and enemy attacks being literally glued to player, unlike for example Unreal AI where enemies shoots projectile at your possible path of movement. Heide Knights can get their attack animation interrupted, yet still deals damage.
What a fuckin loser. Don't post in Dark Souls threads anymore.

arekks

Novice
What a fuckin loser. Don't post in Dark Souls threads anymore.
His statements are 100% pure fact though. You don't even have an argument. Makes you a gay bitch imo.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
Dark Souls 2 is like when someone convinces you to try this “totally awesome” overhaul mod for a game you play.

Now, the problem with a mod is that it was created by the sort of person who makes mods in the limited spare time they have that isn’t dedicated to masturbation. This means that the tone will be completely off, the quality inconsistent and whatever mental illness the creator suffers from will be apparent in all the strange decisions made within the gameplay. With Dark Souls 2, an entire team of professional adults managed to make a game that seems like it was hacked together by a lone dork in his cum dungeon.

There is a gleam of inspiration to be found in the Silent Hill-esque hub area though. They would have been better served by cutting out all the nonsense levels that they crammed in around it and instead made an Animal Crossing type of game with all the kooky npcs in the main hub.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
As someone who has never played Dark Souls 2, I find this exchange extremely :desu:

Silva

Arcane
There's a gossip that Miyazaki, after seeing the final DS2 game, considered naming it just "Scholar of the First Sin" and omitting "Dark Souls" altogether, to indicate it was a spinoff and not part of the main series.

I wish I could play DS1 blind again. Nothing was like seeing Quelaag's cutscene for the first time.

KwTVMyp.jpg

Her sister was still decent at least.

People are often unfair to DS2 - its problems are present throughout the entire trilogy and even most Soulsborne games, but in this installment they were kinda wonky and there weren't too many things to distract from it, like in the Miyazaki-led title. It had some interesting bosses and mechanics, and offered an interesting ng+ cycle which is something none of the other soulsborne games have.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom