Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DA2 takes a dip off the third week.

Captain Shrek

http://www.game.co.uk/Games/PC-Games-an ... /~r351145/

That's righ folks. Its the new marketing strategy:

0) Buy a popular brand-name

1) Make a decent game with good investment.

2) Get a huge audience

3) Hype up the sequel

4) Make a shitty sequel with low cost

5) Sell at whopping 60 dollars, with huge number of DLC

6) ?????

7) Profit!!

8) Sell at half prices after three weeks

9) Laugh all the way to the bank.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
*shrug* The game is still full price here. *shrug*

Besdies, why does price matter for a product Codexers would never play let alone buy/ RIGHt?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
How many times must it be repeated.. no mastter how much the MMO bombst it will not close down BIO. It will mean the end of the Texas branch. That's it. BIO EMD has no real connection to the MMO. ffs

advertising-stupid-pennie-sale-discount-demotivational-poster-1250708457.jpg

Thanks for that UK update, Captain. It's in the bargain bin where I live too (well 33% off to be precise) with large DA2 posters all over the store. 3 weeks after release. Wow. Interesting that so many people worked out that this is a piece of shit and avoided it. So to keep it selling, EA has to resort to discounting it this early on.

Sooooo... is this a turning point in the battle of the RPG, where publishers realize that more there is such a thing as dumbing down too far? That RPG elements are fun, and pew-pew-cutscene awesomeness is not the no-brainer default design route for easy $?

I guess we'll know when we see what CD projekt have done - if Tomasz wasn't lying and they don't want 'streamlined' or 'accessible' and it sells more than Dragon Turd 2 (despite being PC only)... 2011 may yet turn out to be a good year for RPGs, in the long term sense.

Volourn said:
How many times must it be repeated.. no mastter how much the MMO bombst it will not close down BIO. It will mean the end of the Texas branch. That's it. BIO EMD has no real connection to the MMO. ffs

Westwood was closed by EA. I don't think a single one of their games bombed at all, certainly not as badly as DA2 did or the MMO looks to.

Karmapowered

Augur
Captain Shrek said:
http://www.game.co.uk/Games/PC-Games-and-Downloads/Role-Playing/Dragon-Age-2-/~r351145/

(snip)

9) Laugh all the way to the bank at the people that bought and played your shitty game.

Fixed it for ya' :smug:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
" certainly not as badly as DA2 did"

Selling over a 1-2 million copies in less than a month is considered 'bombing'? WTF WTF WTF

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Overweight Manatee said:
Volourn said:

Westwood was closed by EA. I don't think a single one of their games bombed at all, certainly not as badly as DA2 did or the MMO looks to.
Command and Conquer: Renegade was a big failure. Earth and Beyond probably too - five years in development and servers were shut down rather quickly (although not before Westwood was closed). On the other hand, Westwood Pacific was closed despite the fact that it didn't work on these games which shows Volourn is wrong. Anyway, BioWare's demise was decided when it was sold to EA. Anyone who believes it won't get closed in few years is a moron.

Karmapowered

Augur
Playing a Bioware game

Before EA
Reinforcing Alpha male status at work, by introducing coworkers to decent cRPGs

After EA
Hiding in the basement at home, ever since been mocked by the neighborhood kids for mashing idiotic awesome buttons

:M

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Anyone who thinks BIO will be clsoed down because of DA2 and KOTOR MMO is a moron.

BIO will close down eventually. Maatter o life. *shrug*

Bitcher

Educated
Volourn said:
Selling over a 1-2 million copies in less than a month is considered 'bombing'? WTF WTF WTF
How do you actually know it has sold that much? VGChartz? Well, apparently not because according to them it has only sold ~ 1mln so far, and the way I see it is if such a game (sequel to a franchise with established fanbase but pretty bad word of mouth) has only sold a million copies in its first three weeks then even if it does hit 2 mln, the big chunk of it will come from discounts/bargain bins, which I think wont please the EA overlords.
And judging from these price drops it really must be selling like shit. Good...

Stalin

Scholar
Karmapowered said:
Playing a Bioware game

Before EA

After EA
Hiding in the basement at home, ever since been mocked by the neighborhood kids for mashing idiotic awesome buttons

Lol Aplha males (wherever you live) play Crpgs? Where i live they are handsome/muscular drive flashy cars have tons of dosh and all the women wanna fuck them: where the fuck do you live? Santas workshop?

Jim Cojones said:
Overweight Manatee said:
Volourn said:

Command and Conquer: Renegade was a big failure. Earth and Beyond probably too - five years in development and servers were shut down rather quickly (although not before Westwood was closed). On the other hand, Westwood Pacific was closed despite the fact that it didn't work on these games which shows Volourn is wrong. Anyway, BioWare's demise was decided when it was sold to EA. Anyone who believes it won't get closed in few years is a moron.

Renegade was a failure? I thought it was pretty good, and it got pretty decent reviews back in the days before every reviewer had the developer's cock down their throat. Earth and Beyond was supposed to have been decent although I never played it. I suppose I don't have sales numbers though, and the :decline: in journalism means that the unwashed masses basically buy the games their favourite company makes nowadays. Still, neither of those games were nearly as bad as DA2 from the perspective of someone objectively looking at quality. Presumably DA2 has hurt Bioware's reputation enough that if TOR or DA3 is shit they will be looking at some really bad sales.

Karmapowered

Augur
Stalin said:
Karmapowered said:
Playing a Bioware game

Before EA

After EA

Lol Aplha males (wherever you live) play Crpgs? Where i live they are handsome/muscular drive flashy cars have tons of dosh and all the women wanna fuck them: where the fuck do you live? Santas workshop?

That must mean that you aren't one then in your country, since you're browsing forums about cRPGs.

Life can be such a bitch, I know.

Where I live, they all go hand in hand : the wimin', the booze, and the good games :smug:

PS : Seriously though, have you ever heard of a rhetorical figure, called SARCASM ?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
If stores are cutting the price already it means the game isn't selling. I'd be really interested in real sales figures (and not vgchartz fictional numbers).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom