Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DA2 Demo

racofer said:
You can now mod DA2 Demo to unlock difficulty, inventory and character customization.

***IMAGE***

Dragon Saints Age Row

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
racofer said:
You can now mod DA2 Demo to unlock difficulty, inventory and character customization.

Thread:
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6289395/1

Mods:

nlwtxc.jpg

Now "I want to be a dragon!" sounds witty and smug.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Bioware cannot into programming demos apparently. All those features should have been built out of the demo entirely.

When the inevitable nocd crack for DA2 comes out it will probably be based on the demo.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Xor said:
Bioware cannot into programming demos apparently. All those features should have been built out of the demo entirely.

When the inevitable nocd crack for DA2 comes out it will probably be based on the demo.

Perhaps simple DA2 demo .exe will work on full version? :M

Monocause

Arcane
Xor said:

The whole DA2 demo was such a terrible flop that it should be a textbook example of how not to market your game. Cutting out or gimping sections like story, character customisation and inventory (as in - custom dresses for your LADY AND MISTER HAWKE) that are actually important for your player base and leave only poorly chosen cutscenes and filler combat.

Tech shortcomings are just icing on the cake and a boon to boot. I plan on torrenting DA2 and am counting on a "day -1" scene release - likely that the game will leak before mar11 and also likely that a crack will be produced really quick.

Konjad

Patron
Perhaps DA2 demo was actually ingenious DRM system. After playing a demo no one will want to make a crack for this turd.

racofer

Thread Incliner
DA2 doesn't haven CD check. It only has a one time online activation.

The crack will be easy cake, day one without a doubt.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Seriously, how hard is it to

void DAEngine::Foo()
{
#ifndef DAENGINE_BUILD_DEMO

/* code goes here */

#endif
}

FFS.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Monocause said:
Tech shortcomings are just icing on the cake and a boon to boot. I plan on torrenting DA2 and am counting on a "day -1" scene release - likely that the game will leak before mar11 and also likely that a crack will be produced really quick.
Day "one" torrent seems as insensible as day one purchase. I'd wait for the first few inevitable patches. Plus they could have not learned from Titan Quest and included copy protection that kicks you in the balls 1/3 through the game.
If I get it, I'll wait 1-3 weeks at least.

Monocause

Arcane
Shannow said:
Day "one" torrent seems as insensible as day one purchase. I'd wait for the first few inevitable patches. Plus they could have not learned from Titan Quest and included copy protection that kicks you in the balls 1/3 through the game.
If I get it, I'll wait 1-3 weeks at least.

Nah. Dunno about copy protection but I can't really bash Bio for unpolished releases. I've played both MEs and DA1 torrented and unpatched just after a scene release showed up and haven't ran into any sort of game-breaking issues, or even anything that I'd call serious.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
random game journ- whore said:
a certain subset of hardcore gamers

Le Fuck? That's kinda saying "a bit of a part of a few"...

Anyway, that is wrong. This guy must realize that DA2 was conceived and developed to sate the hardcore (DA:O) gamers... Also, how low are that site's standards? No half-decent "major" site would endorse something as politically incorrect as the expression "PC elitist". Tsk tsk.

:monocle:

Xor

Arcane
You can't trust anything gameinformer prints. The entire purpose of that magazine is to sell games for gamestop.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"WHAT NOW, VOLLY?!"

Unlike the Codex, I don't pick and choose whcih game reveiwers I believe blindly. I make my own decisions, nor do I suck the cock of game reveiwers. Why do you suck game reviewers cock?

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Black said:
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/dragon_age_ii/b/xbox360/archive/2011/03/02/dragon-age-ii-the-first-five-hours.aspx?PostPageIndex=1
After playing five hours of Dragon Age II, I can already tell that a certain subset of hardcore gamers will be upset. If you’re a PC elitist who was concerned that this sequel was being simplified to make it work better on consoles, well, you’re kind of right.

WHAT NOW, VOLLY?!
BULLSHITZ. Lies.

Stop the lies ,spreadt he truths

FFS

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Monocause said:
Nah. Dunno about copy protection but I can't really bash Bio for unpolished releases. I've played both MEs and DA1 torrented and unpatched just after a scene release showed up and haven't ran into any sort of game-breaking issues, or even anything that I'd call serious.
You cannot possibly have played ME1 on initial scene release. The galaxy map just didn't work and the game was unplayable. I don't remember how long it took for a proper crack but IIRC it was a few weeks (still, a while before the patch). Funnily enough, there was also a bug with weapon overheating not going away, which was supposed to be part of the copy protection but ended up showing for some legit users too :smug:

Antihero

Liturgist
Konjad said:
Xor said:

Perhaps simple DA2 demo .exe will work on full version? :M

Probably just taking tips from Blizzard. The demo "unlocker" is just a set of modified Flash UI files, which are trivial to decompile/modify unless obfuscated (in which case then they probably wouldn't work in the game either). But they haven't locked a 45 page thread on it yet, so I'll assume they don't especially mind. Edit: not that I made it or anything, but took a peek at it.

Xor said:
Seriously, how hard is it to

void DAEngine::Foo()
{
#ifndef DAENGINE_BUILD_DEMO

/* code goes here */

#endif
}

FFS.

Yup. But a demo would possibly require a bunch of different data too; if it's anything like the first it's pretty 2DA driven, although you could maybe try #ifdef'ing out parts where it interfaces with the UI for changes.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
why the fuck would they lock the appearance if they didn't actually take it out

did they save space by cutting out high poly hairstyles or something

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Damn, there is lot of stupidity in that GameInformer review blowjob. Granted, they write for the console kiddies, but still:

The battles may be faster, but they’re still difficult and require mastery of your abilities to overcome high-level opponents. The dialogue may be streamlined, but it has improved the pace and power of the storytelling. The game may have changed, but it’s still Dragon Age, and you’re still likely to give it hours of your life.

That already increased size is made even bigger by the new ability to go to the map and visit any area of the city at night as well. Certain story events and quests will only be available by exploring Kirkwall at night.

Conversations flow faster and smoother, partially due to this new system allowing quick dialogue choices and partially because of the more cinematic feel. Lengthy discussions are punctuated with more action, emotion, and camera movement to help keep players engaged.

Faster-paced dialogue also helps maintain interest. Since the world and people of Dragon Age were already built up in Origins, the conversations in Dragon Age II are filled with less exposition. No more staring at a static, unmoving NPC as you slog through hours of dialogue explaining the intricacies of each culture and race in Thedas.

Combat doesn’t consist solely of mashing one button. I also had access to a ton of special abilities, such as a shield bash, a jump attack, and a charge that swiftly closed the gap with ranged enemies. This kind of responsive combat is a far cry from the tactical approach of Origins, but when you’re actually in control, it’s a much faster game – and honestly, it feels good.

Dragon Age II has been designed from the beginning with the intention of being played with a controller, and it shows immediately.

After I wiped out a healthy number of Darkspawn, the game cut (without loading) back to Varric telling the story. His interrogator, a Chantry seeker named Cassandra, interrupted: "Bulls---! That’s not how it happened!" In Dragon Age II’s framed narrative, Varric’s exaggeration provided an opportunity for me to see how powerful Hawke will eventually become, but at this point the dwarf starts over from the beginning, stripping away those powers and taking the main character back to level one.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
GarfunkeL said:
In Dragon Age II’s framed narrative, Varric’s exaggeration provided an opportunity for me to see how powerful Hawke will eventually become, but at this point the dwarf starts over from the beginning, stripping away those powers and taking the main character back to level one.

A lot of games do this sort of thing these days

The Force Unleashed for example started you out as Darth Vader and let you kill the shit out of wookies for the first level. Basically the idea is to show you the cool shit you're able to do in this game and reassure you that you get to be a badass so the player doesn't ragequit after discovering his character doesn't do something awesome every time he presses a button and in his mind it means the game is boring shit like his character fighting rats at the first level.
Because of the intro, he knows that soon, the awesome buttons and exploding enemies will be his.

However in this example The implementation is kinda shit. Why not, instead of retelling that encounter, let them experience a portion of the story later in the game, or maybe even play the ending of the first DA with an epic party using the awesome new DA2 combay system since you're already importing a savegame and that'll let you recreate your old team for a brief moment?

also
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... steOfPower

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Amazing how quickly this thread got to 23 pages.

Anyway, demo was boring. Not due to the graphics and sounds which were okay in my book (and seriously, since when do you fucks think shit like that matters? Fucking newfags should play some golden box games.) and even the rpg elements didn't seem all that dumbed down.

No. The lame script killed it for me. The story, npc's and cutscenes just couldn't interest me in the least.

On an artistic note I am a little disappointed that they didn't push through with that new art style. Game now looks generic. At least the early artistic style seemed a bit more interesting that generic fantasy art #27969. Especially as it does look rather nice on the loading and start screens. Oh well, EA letting devs do something new? Might as well be a cold day in hell.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
tHERE WAS A FUKKIN'S CRIPT? lmfao It is a fukkin' demo that lasts an hour or so. LMFAO

Xor

Arcane
He'll be back to normal when he realizes DA2 sucks and gives up on it. So probably never.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Well at least DA2 is better than New Vegas and has all new graphics and gameplay styles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom