Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crusader Kings

oscar

Arcane
Good Christ. Playing as King of Sweden and got excommunicated 'cuse I didn't change my laws. In the previous decade half of Europe had decided to become my vassal.

Suddenly got 'Realm Duress' (any idea when that passes away?) and soon 3/4 of my vassels revolted and as I shiped my still loyal vassels men from all over Ireland, England and North Germany I've been clawing off incursions from my ex-vassals and rebelling Counts turning Sweden into some massive swirling battleground while also causing half of the Holy Roman Empire to each other. And also used the opportunity to change laws from Elective (strongest vassal gets it all) to.. something else.

And I somehow have 15000 prestige.

Is there any way I can get recommuniated? Or should I just do my darnest through events to get the current King killed (he has a super competent son too)? And why would you ever pick Elective Law?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
In my experience, the majority of the backstabbing and politics happens when you rule over a large number of vassals and have a relatively bad reputation. Making yourself a big player through conquest always helps, as does being a breakaway kingdom (ie, play as a Swedish prince granted the title King of Finland, by far the easiest to set up).

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Monocause said:
I don't get enough events and there's rarely any backstabbing and politics involved. What difficulty settings do you guys use? I've set both difficulty and AI agressiveness to normal. Played for some 50 years as an Irish c(o)unt and later as an Italian duke and both were rather uneventful.

When You are a county it usually takes years for anything to happen. You wait for Your carefully set succesions to trigger and watch as gold is gathered sloowly, sometimes an event or two. But when You have about 4-5 provinces it gets way more interesting, with family management and many more opportunities. And when finally You become the king... things start to move so fast You cant follow! You have court of dozens of characters, things happen to them all the time, education and events, church and revolts...

So either start as a duke for an interesting game right away (southern Iraly is good for this) or be patient.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
From what I remember realm duress goes away with the death of the King, dont know if it can also be removed by events.

Excommunication is removed by events and quite often too.

Finally elective law isnt really good for Your family but it helps keep the realm together due to loyalty bonuses from being in line to succesion. And You can easily set up Your succesor by granting him enough titles, so avoiding having those retards inherit.

Byzantium is a dog to play in these days. It used to be quite easy to get peace and start the usual CK thing with them, but these days it seems the system forces you into a never ending war. Either way is ridiculous.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Blackadder said:
Byzantium is a dog to play in these days. It used to be quite easy to get peace and start the usual CK thing with them, but these days it seems the system forces you into a never ending war. Either way is ridiculous.

Seems realistic. After all 'byzantine' is a word we use even today and has a defined meaning, and that is not stability...

Ruprekt

Scholar
Well, I got this on cd... and it still blue-screened my pc.

After eliminating the possibilities it turned out to be the K-Lite codec pack having an issue with the music files.

oscar

Arcane
Oh and what determines reputation? Because I swear my reputation fell after taking some land of some Pagans.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
oscar said:
Oh and what determines reputation? Because I swear my reputation fell after taking some land of some Pagans.

Taking lands mainly. Its the BadBoy from other Paradox games and is meant to be the limiter of player expansion.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Though in CK, it doesn't seem to drop much over time. The only viable way to control it is to recognize claims when you sign peaces (you'll still probably vassalize the sumbitch) every now and then.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Imageshack or tinypic?

You just need "Print Screen" and MS Paint anyway for your capturing and editing needs.

Quilty

Magister
treave said:
Imageshack or tinypic?

You just need "Print Screen" and MS Paint anyway for your capturing and editing needs.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. And please, for the love of god, don't make it one of those story-driven LPs where you take one screenshot and then write a five-page conversation between two bland characters. I hate those. Just give us the gist.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
No bawdry fanfic about Baldrick the Bald, King of Spain, and Joanna the Mad, Queen of Denmark?

But let the game write the 'plot'. It's absolutely horrible when people try to use the game engine to create their own 'stories' of how things should go. Just let the game do its thing, you only need to flesh stuff up a little to give it character. As the others have said, best results are had when you change your playing style whenever you move on to each character, to suit that character's personality.

A by the numbers LP is also boring-as-fuck.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Imageshack works well. You can do batch-uploads, sort their order and the copy+paste the url in here. Or rather, into Notepad and then work your tags and text in it, before copy+pasting it to the forum. Paint works well enough for editing unless you are doing some really complex stuff.

Calem Ravenna

Scholar
You don't really need any screen capturing or editing programs. The results of in-game screen capture (F11) are pretty much perfectly sized, just convert them to some sensible format.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Quilty said:
treave said:
Imageshack or tinypic?

Yeah, that's pretty much it. And please, for the love of god, don't make it one of those story-driven LPs where you take one screenshot and then write a five-page conversation between two bland characters. I hate those. Just give us the gist.
I prefer LP's read like historical articles. I've seen a few. It's too easy to go overboard, though.

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
FRAPS is alright, though unless you pay for it or pirate it all screens are in .BMP format. It saves it in whatever resolution you've got the game playing at as well.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
PEGI 3
The content of games given this rating is considered suitable for all age groups. Some violence in a comical context (typically Bugs Bunny or Tom & Jerry cartoon-like forms of violence) is acceptable. The child should not be able to associate the character on the screen with real life characters, they should be totally fantasy. The game should not contain any sounds or pictures that are likely to scare or frighten young children. No bad language should be heard and there should be no scenes containing nudity nor any reference to sexual activity.
abstract violence and the idea of spreading religion by war are a-ok as long as the victims don't scream too loud

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ruprekt said:
Why is this game rated for ages 3+

?

Yet another example why those ratings are RETARDED. Of course violence, zeal, adulteries and slaughter are not graphic but they are a very present part of the game. And You play the role of power hungry madman more often than not.

Well but there are no titties so must be that too.

oscar

Arcane
Also, I'm assuming that a technology gets harder to research each step you go down it's 'tree'?

e.g Farming Technique 2 would take more time to be discovered then Farming Equipment 1?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
root said:
a'ight guise, i'm LPing this, so can i ask you for
1) good hosting site Tinypic if you haven't got your own webspace
2) good image editing tool PS
3)good photo capturing tool Fraps and if it doesn't work, Screenshot Utility ( http://www.screenshot-utility.com/ )
4) other assorted bits I might need for an LP? tits

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom