Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crusader Kings

Holy Cow

did a search, but although there's mentions of it here and there, can't find a topic about it. so

there was an expansion out in 2007 or so. is there any place where i can buy (yes, buy, my piratey friends) this game online, with all the expansions and patches and add-ons and whatnot? downloadable would be nice, since i doubt any vendor will ship the fucking thing to brazil.

also, lest I forget:

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/news/2010/6 ... er-kings-2

root said:
did a search, but although there's mentions of it here and there, can't find a topic about it. so

there was an expansion out in 2007 or so. is there any place where i can buy (yes, buy, my piratey friends) this game online, with all the expansions and patches and add-ons and whatnot? downloadable would be nice, since i doubt any vendor will ship the fucking thing to brazil.

also, lest I forget:

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/news/2010/6 ... er-kings-2

Gamersgate is your best option. It also directly supports the devs since Paradox owns it.

http://www.gamersgate.com/

zool

Arcane
The game is great, although unpolished as you might expect from a Paradox game. If it happens, I hope CK2 will be to CK what HoI2 was to HoI.

On top of CK + Deus Vult, install the latest beta patch and the DVIP mod (both available on the official Paradox forums) and enjoy the medieval experience.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Not really. EU2-3 and Victoria are polished enough, but CK never got the same treatment. It's a mess (or if you prefer, even more of a mess than those games). It could have used another patch (expansion). The concept is good though, and it does some interesting things. Play only if you have an interest in the era, in my opinion.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Its good if You like Paradox games, although this one is a bit unpolished. But fun nevertheless, with a nice and fresh approach to empire building.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Because this game offers something besides conquering inept AI opponents and expanding your colour all over the map. You have a whole dynasty to run and if your ruler fi likes to boink the maid you will have a slew of bastards to content with. It's pretty awesome but can be bewildering at times.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The exact nature of GG and Paradox deals is unknown but I think Para gets more money from sales over there.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
root said:
found it on gamersgate but eh, discouraging comments. what's so wrong with it? it looked nifty when i had a quick dekko some years ago.
i do have an interest in the era, but if it's gonna play out like a hiccuping history book i'd rather stay with...well, the books.

gameplay is bad, is it?

Well nah. It's very random and character-driven. It's more about managing what you already got and making slow progress than just painting the map, like Trash said. And you can loose it all pretty quickly, even if you're careful, so that's a good thing because Paradox games can get easy quick enough. Although personally I did manage to pretty much paint the map, it's just a question of being careful, but anyway.

The economy and combat is absolutely simplistic though. Personally what pisses me off, as I'm very anal about history, is the fact that you can get vassals all over Europe, which makes the map a total mess. Theorically there were no big land country blocks in this era so it makes sense to have the map fractured. But when you are a Eastern European country and have some land in England, things get fucked up. The more you play the more the map will be fucked. Especially since as the player you're almost the only one who's able to keep many vassals in line, so you'll be the only strong power on the map, and everything else will be a mess.

The character system does make it alive though, and it's really something new in gaming in general. You should play it, look at some LPs if you're not convinced, they'll convince you enough because this game creates some interesting stories. You'll have a strong, virtuous leader, and then you'll have this brother in the line for the throne who is an asshole, he'll kill your guy, then your vassals rebel, then when you manage to pick things up again your new ruler is mentally challenged because of inbreeding... cool stuff, all kind of potentially lulzy scenarios abound

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Has anyone tried to import it into EU3? I was playing as Wales and, provided the map doesn't turn into some impressionist's masterpiece tableau, I might give it a go again just to bring Wales into the 1700's and beyond.

Naturally, taking the British Isles was my first goal. Hopefully, with the road network in place, I'll be able to spread the Welsh culture through the isles before time runs out.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I still fondly recall the game where I tried to forge an independent kingdom of the Netherlands while starting as a lowly count or duke in Holland. All went fine with loads of political manouvring, backstabbing, intermarrying and slowly gaining ground ultill I gained a vassel who due to some other family ties got dragged into a war with ze Holy Reich. Nothing like seeing your dynasty get raped by the united military force of half of Europe.

zool

Arcane
Serious_Business said:
Personally what pisses me off, as I'm very anal about history, is the fact that you can get vassals all over Europe, which makes the map a total mess. Theorically there were no big land country blocks in this era so it makes sense to have the map fractured. But when you are a Eastern European country and have some land in England, things get fucked up. The more you play the more the map will be fucked. Especially since as the player you're almost the only one who's able to keep many vassals in line, so you'll be the only strong power on the map, and everything else will be a mess.

This is fixed by the DVIP mod through kingdoms/duchies break-up events based on cultural and religious characteristics of provinces. That's the main reason why I recommended it a few posts above.
I've been quite far in the game and the map is not a complete mess at all. Also, DVIP introduces an event which sinks every muslim ship that enters the Atlantic ocean, so you won't see sheikhdoms in the British Isles anymore. It is also historically accurate as the muslims hadn't developed the naval techniques that would have allowed them to sail beyond the Gibraltar strait at that time.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Bad installation probably, got it many times in EU2 when playing with mods. Reinstall.

zool

Arcane
root said:
already did. same shit

As Malakal said, there's something wrong with your installation. Describe what you installed on top of the game (patches, mods) and in what order.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Personally, I was hoping Heir To The Throne would have introduced a dynasty system like that of Crusader Kings and EU Rome. The characters add a load of fun to the strategy, and some fun randomized "drama." Like a Deocese Bishop slowly going absolutely batshit insane, proclaiming himself Jesus and convincing a couple of people he is before he leaves.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
zool said:
Serious_Business said:
Personally what pisses me off, as I'm very anal about history, is the fact that you can get vassals all over Europe, which makes the map a total mess. Theorically there were no big land country blocks in this era so it makes sense to have the map fractured. But when you are a Eastern European country and have some land in England, things get fucked up. The more you play the more the map will be fucked. Especially since as the player you're almost the only one who's able to keep many vassals in line, so you'll be the only strong power on the map, and everything else will be a mess.

This is fixed by the DVIP mod through kingdoms/duchies break-up events based on cultural and religious characteristics of provinces. That's the main reason why I recommended it a few posts above.
I've been quite far in the game and the map is not a complete mess at all. Also, DVIP introduces an event which sinks every muslim ship that enters the Atlantic ocean, so you won't see sheikhdoms in the British Isles anymore. It is also historically accurate as the muslims hadn't developed the naval techniques that would have allowed them to sail beyond the Gibraltar strait at that time.

Interesting. Thanks for pointing this out

However, another point, and I'm saying this exclusively to sound very elite and much of a prick... obviously is that the characters aren't going to be historical. I mean, if you know the history of the diverse kings of the era, than having random guys feels a bit like... well. This is the old eu2 vs eu3 debate.

root said:
already did. same shit

Did you pirate it? If so, that might have something to do with it, try to mount with another program, maybe that'll help (I mean buy the game)

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Well, the advantage in random elements is that it stops it from being very country-specific, like a lot of Paradox games (with quite a few being essentially Germany: The Game).

EDIT: Then again, in Victoria and Hearts of Iron historical accuracy is boner-inducing.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
root said:
already did. same shit

I'm just installing the game bro, I had a problem too maybe it's similar to yours

When you install, does it say that you're installing Victoria?

Well, personally that's what it did, and when I tried to patch my system didn't recognize that the game was installed. Basically I had to uninstall, change my os langage options to english, and reinstall. Apparently the game's installation has problems if your system is not on english

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Well you bought it for nothing because my fix would most def would have made it work (but yeah you're a p. respectable person)... no seriously I think Paradox deserves it but that's a controversial thing to say

Hmm think I'm gonna LP this if I have the time, but you're free to do it too root

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom