Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crusader Kings

Quilty

Magister
Malakal said:
I think its the one that allows only first sons or something, I played Polish version and laws were different there. Salic Primogeniture was that?

I switched to salic consanguinity and that worked. Thanks for the tip.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Fens said:
Brilliant. I inherited a good junk of Scandinavia as Wales. Croatia, too, had duchies in Scandinavia, oddly enough. I also have Constantinople as one of my provinces. Also, some scattered vassals across Northern Europe. My old king had a terrible reputation (high bad-boy rating) and categorically anti-church beliefs, the kingdom was inherited by his much less bellicose son. The moment the old king had died, and his son came to power, I had invitations to adopt vassal states from duchies across all of Europe.

I remember fondly my early game as Wales; warming up to France at the start of the game, in preparation for the inevitable war with England. Scotland was in on it, too. That was a smart move because England couldn't cause as much damage as they might've. But, boy, was it ever a bitch to wrest their duchies from them.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
^in my current game, wales has inherited/conquered/acquired most of south england after i pulled out of scotland and england tried a violent push north. backfired badly and now the main province of france is kent. all kinds of kingdoms and duchies have opened up shop around the little bits that england has left. there are still some english provinces in north africa, leftovers from a crusade, which make it improbable, that england will get overrun completely soon. i'm watching it from a safe distance and enjoying the show.

was (is actually) a hell of a ride... if only the enemy was more eager to accept good deals in peace talks. had the same problem in EU3.

Cassidy

Arcane
I think that AAR with an OCD attempt to conquer all the provinces in Alphabetic order is a good introduction to Crusader Kings, but I don't have the links right now. The marriage and growing kids part make of it a particularly different game compared to the average Paradox faire.

Quilty

Magister
Cassidy said:
I think that AAR with an OCD attempt to conquer all the provinces in Alphabetic order is a good introduction to Crusader Kings, but I don't have the links right now. The marriage and growing kids part make of it a particularly different game compared to the average Paradox faire.

That sounds insane. :o

Fens

Ford of the Llies
Quilty said:
Cassidy said:

it does... i want that link now

[edit] this seems to be the one: http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum ... p?t=266596

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Quilty said:
Cassidy said:

More like inane, jesus christ, talk about removing all charm and character from the game

edit :

Insanity is only sanity multiplied.

Clever shit

oscar

Arcane
Financially, are the buildings that only produce loyalty worth it (you being able to tax that much more without decreasing it vs the cost of the improvement?

And what's up with the tech system? Are technologies less likely to be discovered in a province if your focusing on a tech further down the research chain? For instance the Farming Technique chain gives you more gold then the Farming Equipment one, so would there ever be a point on focusing on Equipment before you've maxed out Technique?

Heh this game really makes you understand the problems of kings. Had three children, all daughters until I let my king get seduced by a young wench and now have a male bastard who shall be his successor.

Playing as Georgia now and it seems a good starting country.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Technology actually spreads more than that you discover stuff. Since progress is so slow I honestly never focused that hard on it. Just pick out the techs you like and see what happens.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I joined it on time to be eligible for the "one person a day gets a free copy" deal. The chance is about 1/200 so I have high hopes.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Registered on facewhatever just to get CK2. I do hope that my sacrifice was not in vain...

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Ditto on that mods question: I just installed CK and also have a graphics update mod and DVIP. Are any of these recommended for a first play (of any Paradox game)?

SerratedBiz

Arcane
As far as I can tell it redoes the interface, adds some frames and stuff to portraits. This is from looking at the files which are mostly .bmps and stuff.

DVIP is, according to the readme...

The intended scope of the DVIP is more or less the following:
-Historic characters at scenario start
-Historic realms and provinces at scenario start
-Edit or add events to allow cultures to change more-or-less historically (melting pots)
-Fix remaining Deus Vult bugs where possible (events, database files, CoAs)

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I still reloaded whenever something catastrophic happened. i'm thinking that takes away half the fun.

Well that's the case with any game, ever. Even more for strategy games. Of course if you reload all the time, you're loosing the point of the game. It'd be like playing JA2, but saving before every shot, and re-loading if you don't hit or if you get hit. No point to it, just put on godmod that'll do the same thing.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Any store with a sale on this game or should I just buy it from TPB?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
poocolator said:
Fuck, I love this game. It certainly feels like an RPG, at least in the sense of role-playing a family through their crises.
EU Rome is kinda like it too, but if you play a democracy there you get to try out more families, and the UI is better.

EDIT: My greatest fun was in my Finland campaign, with the third king. His dad went up and died out of a boar-inflicted wound when he was less than a year old, a bunch of dickweeds tried to assassinate him several times over his childhood, and the kingdom almost collapsed in the civil war.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Zed said:
Any store with a sale on this game or should I just buy it from TPB?

Try Steam or Gamersgate for online download, boxed copies would be... hard right now. Check bargain bins. Really this game is so cheap that it would be a shame to remove it.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
It's not up on steam. I don't want to spread my DD-purchase over too many sites, I'm on 3 of them already. I'll check the black market.

Monocause

Arcane
I don't get enough events and there's rarely any backstabbing and politics involved. What difficulty settings do you guys use? I've set both difficulty and AI agressiveness to normal. Played for some 50 years as an Irish c(o)unt and later as an Italian duke and both were rather uneventful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom