Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Consoletard tries his hand at Morrowind

MMXI

Arcane
So, he's complaining that there's no "collect the 4 map pieces" non-linear segment? Meh.
What I don't understand is why Ultima VII isn't a "real Ultima experience". Every single element you play an Ultima game for is well represented in Ultima VII.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, he's complaining that there's no "collect the 4 map pieces" non-linear segment? Meh.
What I don't understand is why Ultima VII isn't a "real Ultima experience". Every single element you play an Ultima game for is well represented in Ultima VII.

Well, it's true that with U7, Origin basically did an ME2-style "feature was poorly implemented so let's remove it" move with regard to combat.

MMXI

Arcane

Well, it's true that with U7, Origin basically did an ME2-style "feature was poorly implemented so let's remove it" move with regard to combat.
They pretty much did that with Ultima VI too, with the AI options and shit. Almost plays itself too.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They pretty much did that with Ultima VI too, with the AI options and shit. Almost plays itself too.

Yeah but at least those were optional.

Ultima VI's combat system had some potential I think, but they never really bothered to tune it and make interesting encounters (although fighting slimes and those big plant things was way cool)

I read your latest post. It's genuinely enraging.

Your gaming session: You accidentally steal a loaf of bread without realising it wasn't the bread that YOU made, then the shopkeeper yells at you and calls the guards. Guard hauls you off to jail, you manage to get out, check your map and find yourself a long way from town, only to have to cross a huge forest to get back. You lose several party members and die yourself after an alligator attack, find yourself waking up in a different town, then try to go to a healer to get your party members back, only to find you need the actual bodies to resurrect them but have no idea where they are.

Your response to that?

You RELOAD and say
So yeah, I was a little put out at the end of all that gaming drama.

and

This felt like another mostly wasted gaming session all in all

Fucking seriously. It wasn't part of the main plot. It wasn't scripted to happen the way it happened. It was all because of a whole series of decisions that YOU made. And you dare to complain about that? FFS. This shit is what good gaming is about. You're a fucking disgrace.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Heresy!! Don't forget the adventure gaming elements to it.
They're mediocre compared to real adventure games, and older Ultima games.

with shitty RPG mechanics,
This isn't unique to U7
They're shit compared to older Ultima games, which have character creation, class restrictions, useful spells in combat, karma points, and so on.

terrible combat,
This isn't unique to U7
It's shit compared to older Ultima games, even fucking U4.

Be thankful for the regen as it makes the combat less painful.
Resource management (ginseng and other reagents, potions, healers demanding gold, food/sleeping hours) would make the combat slightly interesting.

And it's not like there are that many roleplaying games that have nonlinear plots.
Like Ultima 4, 5 and (to some extent) 6?

Most quests in Ultima 4, 5 and (to a lesser extent) 6 have several solutions, including shit like typing the correct word while chatting without the proper clue, blinking to a position without using a key item (ship, silver horn, hot air balloon), using the badge to avoid guards in Blackthorn's Castle, and stuff like that. Unlike U7, those games let the player make his own path.

On the other hand, I will always prefer a non-linear scavenger-hunter plot to a railroaded storyfag fest in my RPGs.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Unorus Janco
But as long as the world remains open and non-linear and full of subquests, who gives a fuck about the main plot. It's not that critical.

Bruticis

I've been wanting to mock several of his actions but it would lead to some gameplay hints. I'd rather he just continue on in the same fashion and have it blow up in his face later on down the road.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ultima VII is definitely the best entry point to the series, but it's popamole decline compared to 3/4/5/6.

edit: and actually, not playing them in order (at least from 4 onwards) is kind of sucky. Spending hours grinding COMP on beggars to become Avatar and then returning to find out this Blackthorne asshole has dicked up all your shit is one of Ultima's most endearing moments.

The Round Peg

Educated
I had tried Ultima I, II and III. I had played and completed every Ultima game since Ultima IV: Quest of Avatar with the exception of Ultima Online. The Ultima 7 series is the overall best in the Ultima saga. Ultima 7: Serpent Isle, IMO, is the single best game in the series. The second best is Ultima 7: The Black Gate.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Unorus Janco
But as long as the world remains open and non-linear and full of subquests, who gives a fuck about the main plot. It's not that critical.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the open world and sandbox approach of U7, and find modern age/librul Britannia charming, but without at least barely manageable combat or good RPG mechanics (1992 gave us Darklands, Wizardry 7 or Realms of Arkania for example), I can't really believe how much love U7 receives around here :roll: It's just not a good cRPG to me.

Oh, well...

shendricks221

Educated

Your gaming session: You accidentally steal a loaf of bread without realising it wasn't the bread that YOU made, then the shopkeeper yells at you and calls the guards. Guard hauls you off to jail, you manage to get out, check your map and find yourself a long way from town, only to have to cross a huge forest to get back. You lose several party members and die yourself after an alligator attack, find yourself waking up in a different town, then try to go to a healer to get your party members back, only to find you need the actual bodies to resurrect them but have no idea where they are.

Your response to that?

You RELOAD and say

and

Fucking seriously. It wasn't part of the main plot. It wasn't scripted to happen the way it happened. It was all because of a whole series of decisions that YOU made. And you dare to complain about that? FFS. This shit is what good gaming is about. You're a fucking disgrace.

So it's generally frowned upon to reload when things go awry because things going awry is the fun of gaming?

Kukulkan

Learned
Heresy!! Don't forget the adventure gaming elements to it.
They're mediocre compared to real adventure games, and older Ultima games.
That's just like your opinion man.

with shitty RPG mechanics,
This isn't unique to U7
They're shit compared to older Ultima games, which have character creation, class restrictions, useful spells in combat, karma points, and so on.
Character creation in the age of enlightement trilogy only let you determine your class and that is it. I also recall the spells in U7 being generally useful, especially cure. From what I recall class restrictions were based on how much mana you got and what type of armor or weapon you could wield. Aside from that there wasn't much difference and they all boiled down to various versions of the thief/mage/fighter archetype. In U7, using the training system would allow you to develope the Avatar along one of the three paths.

terrible combat,
This isn't unique to U7
It's shit compared to older Ultima games, even fucking U4.
The point is that combat in Ultima has always been shit and to complain about it now is just silly. That, and combat is only a minor nuisance in U7 except when fighting those fucking ghosts.

Be thankful for the regen as it makes the combat less painful.
Resource management (ginseng and other reagents, potions, healers demanding gold, food/sleeping hours) would make the combat slightly interesting.
But you do that in U7. The game just auto mixes the reagents for you, and you manage several potions in your inventory. Healers do require money for healing as seen in this link:http://wiki.ultimacodex.com/wiki/Chantu
There's also a day and night cycle and your party IIRC will complain of being really tired forcing you to have to sleep at some point.

Most quests in Ultima 4, 5 and (to a lesser extent) 6 have several solutions, including shit like typing the correct word while chatting without the proper clue,
Blind luck guessing is another type of solution?

blinking to a position without using a key item (ship, silver horn, hot air balloon), using the badge to avoid guards in Blackthorn's Castle, and stuff like that. Unlike U7, those games let the player make his own path.
But doesn't finding the magic carpet in U7 allow you to skip steps needed to reach your goal just like the blink spell does? U7 also allows you to use the Black Gate to return to earth at the end.
On the other hand, I will always prefer a non-linear scavenger-hunter plot to a railroaded storyfag fest in my RPGs
You're not really railroaded U7. You can go anywhere you please, anytime you want, and do the quests there in whatever order you desire. I don't see the main quest unfolding in a linear fashion to be a major con.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Your response to that?

You RELOAD and say

and

So it's generally frowned upon to reload when things go awry because things going awry is the fun of gaming?

They're not mad at you for reloading. They're mad at you for complaining about it. ;)

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Yeah, you had p. interesting gaming experience but all you took from it is butthurt about "wasted" time.

shendricks221

Educated
Oh, actually because I hated the game and was just lying on the blog to look like less of an asshole.
Well, can you explain why you hated it (so that we may try *being* less of assholes towards you)?

DraQ! You were around for that experiment, I remember your name. Okay, I can't really put my finger on what it was about PS:T that didn't work for me. I just never could get into it. Wasn't crazy about the setting and for some reason the story that everyone always freaks out about never sucked me in. Then again, I didn't give it the chance it deserves, and it IS a shitty game to blog about playing. More of an experience, if you ask me, not something to chronicle.

shendricks221

Educated
Yeah, you had p. interesting gaming experience but all you took from it is butthurt about "wasted" time.

Well that's understandable. I don't think it's reasonable to ask a complete RPG novice to play through a game without reloading, but I do appreciate the unique turn the game took. That isn't lost on me, but I've got a blog to run. If I play for two hours and have nothing that actually happened to write about, the paying customers could get upset. This is about gaming and blogging, not just gaming.

DraQ

Arcane
Oh, actually because I hated the game and was just lying on the blog to look like less of an asshole.
Well, can you explain why you hated it (so that we may try *being* less of assholes towards you)?

DraQ! You were around for that experiment, I remember your name.
Yeah, I think I slammed you hard for not finding map button.

And I still think you should try Wizardry 8. :smug:

Okay, I can't really put my finger on what it was about PS:T that didn't work for me. I just never could get into it. Wasn't crazy about the setting and for some reason the story that everyone always freaks out about never sucked me in. Then again, I didn't give it the chance it deserves, and it IS a shitty game to blog about playing. More of an experience, if you ask me, not something to chronicle.
One of the points of this experiment was monitoring your experience.

Kukulkan

Learned

DraQ! You were around for that experiment, I remember your name.
Yeah, I think I slammed you hard for not finding map button.

And I still think you should try Wizardry 4. :smug:
I have significantly improved your comment and I hope Bruticis is given an idea for what the next game should be.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hopeless... give him Deus Ex and he might understand, if only by playing gun&run (bloodlines is too buggy).

shendricks221

Educated
Played and beat Bloodlines around a year ago, loved it. Too bad it was in between blogging projects. Experiences like that were what brought me back to this whole RPG experiment; the first one really did change my gaming tastes.

Kukulkan

Learned
Hopeless... give him Deus Ex and he might understand, if only by playing gun&run (bloodlines is too buggy).
He played and loved Deus Ex. The next best game to go from there is SS2.

His BRIAN would probably explode at Bloodlines... complexity.
Don't be that harsh. If he could finish Fallout 2 then Bloodlines would be a piece of cake.
EDIT: Turns out he played it too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom