Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Command & Conquer Remastered Collection from Petroglyph

Black

Arcane
I don't remember replying to myself, how bizarre.

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine
Tiberian Sun needs a remaster as well. Can't wait for those early 90's low budget action movie like cutscenes.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It made money it just didn't make enough that the bean counters saw value in making further remasters was my impression. Which is sad because they found all the masters needed to give Red Alert the same treatment when tracking down the stuff to make this one.
"It made us money but not enough" is such a bizarre notion for me, especially with a huge company like EA that shits out millions on a weekly basis. What, you can't dump a small sum on another remaster? It's pretty much guaranteed profit, super low risk investment.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
It made money it just didn't make enough that the bean counters saw value in making further remasters was my impression. Which is sad because they found all the masters needed to give Red Alert the same treatment when tracking down the stuff to make this one.
"It made us money but not enough" is such a bizarre notion for me, especially with a huge company like EA that shits out millions on a weekly basis. What, you can't dump a small sum on another remaster? It's pretty much guaranteed profit, super low risk investment.
I assume the profit didn't check out with the bean counters' models, predictions and trends. I can easily see how making minor profit would strike the first red flag that "ding ding ding, sequels/successive releases by the same studio always generate less interest according to these charts!!!"

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Tiberium Wars is great. It holds up extremely well, looks and plays better than most current rts games and the gameplay is improved compared to the older titles. The campaigns are also good and fun on the highest difficulty.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
A parallel with Fallout 3 is offensive: F3 rapes the lore and it's Oblivion with guns, with no mechanical depth. I don't even remember many protests, Red Alert 3 was the one that caused seizures by going full Clown Red Dawn. And of course everything is now forgiven thanks to C&C4.

C&C fans hated everything about it and it was like reading comments on NMA back in 2008. People have a hard time realising this.

From what I recall people hated how they retconed and removed the organic component from tiberium. Initially EA planned to remove blue tiberium as well but kept it because of fan backlash. They hated that the Forgotten and CABAL were ditched. They hated that the GDI armored units were retconed from mechs back into tanks. The awesome dropships and other stuff was also removed. Cyborgs were removed. Nod got some ridiculous female commando instead of the awesome cyborg commando. They hated that the radar was moved to the construction yard so that the minimap is always available. They hated that the artstyle became more cartoony and they hated the new logos for Nod and GDI. They hated that the Scrin were made into some 'War of the World'-shit instead of what Westwood had originally had in mind. They hated changes to the gameplay like multiple building queues and how build radius was reworked and also the surveyor. The GDI Hoover tech was removed. Nod stealth generators were downgraded. No gates for the base walls. The Nod turrets with a central hub was stupid. EMP gone. Nod banshees gone. Nod subterranean tech gone. Nod basic infantry were some trashy sorry bastards instead of the awesome looking Nod light infantry in TS. No jukebox and no Frank Klepacki. Awesome music was replaced with generic shit. Kane's mask was badly designed in Kane's Wrath and doesn't seem to fit very well. Most of the characters from TS were just killed. And there's a million more things that I can't remember.

Most of Kane's Wrath is just bad fan survice done in a panic to adress some of the most glaring issues. They added mechs back with the Steel Talon subfaction and one of the Body subfactions got cyborgs. They also tried to address wholes in the story between TS and TW that the retcons had caused. They added one track by Frank Klepacki. Kane has his mask again. And other stuff like that.

And of course everything is now forgiven thanks to C&C4.
I think that's the one redeeming thing about Tiberium Wars. The sequel was so bad that the predecessor looks good in hindsight.

Personally I think Tiberium Wars plays good and it's fun in skirmish and MP. Westwood would probably have fucked up the story as well seeing what they did with Renegade.

Last edited:

Blutwurstritter

Learned
A parallel with Fallout 3 is offensive: F3 rapes the lore and it's Oblivion with guns, with no mechanical depth. I don't even remember many protests, Red Alert 3 was the one that caused seizures by going full Clown Red Dawn. And of course everything is now forgiven thanks to C&C4.

C&C fans hated everything about it and it was like reading comments on NMA back in 2008. People have a hard time realising this.

From what I recall people hated how they retconed and removed the organic component from tiberium. Initially EA planned to remove blue tiberium as well but kept it because of fan backlash. They hated that the Forgotten and CABAL were ditched. They hated that the GDI armored units were retconed from mechs back into tanks. The awesome dripships and other stuff was also removed. Cyborgs were removed. Nog got some ridiculous female comando instaed of the awesome cyborg comando. They hated that the radar was moved to the construction yard so that the minimap is always available. They hated that the artstyle became more cartoony and they hated the new logos for Nod and GDI. They hated that the Scrin were made into some 'War of the World'-shit instead of what Westwood had originally had in mind. They hated changes to the gameplay like multiple building queus and how build radius was reworked and also the surveyor. The GDI Hoover tech was removed. Nog stealth generators were downgraded. No gates for the base walls. The Nod turrets with a central hub was stupid. EMP gone. Nod banshees gone. Nod subterranean tech gone. Nod basic infantry were some trashy sorry bastards instead of the awesome looking Nod light infantry in TS. No jukebox and no Frank Klepacki. Awesome music was replaced with generic shit. Kanes mask was badly designed in Kanes Wrath and doesn't seem to fit very well. Most of the characters from TS were just killed. And there's a million more things that I can't remember.

Most of Kanes Wrath is bad fan survive done just to adress some of these issues. They added mechs back with the Steel Talon subfaction and one of the Body subfactions got cyborgs. They also tried to adress wholes in the story between TS and TW that the retcons had caused. They added one track by Frank Klepacki. Kane has his mask again. And other stuff like that.

And of course everything is now forgiven thanks to C&C4.
I think that's the one redeeming thing about Tiberium Wars. The sequel was so bad that the predecessor looks good in hindsight.

Personally I think Tiberium Wars plays good and it's fun in scirmish and MP. Westwood would probably have fucked up the story as well seeing what they did with Renegade.
Hm, strange how different the reception can be. At least in Germany it was very well received and got great ratings. I didn't pay attention to online communities back then, but I can't recall any of those grievances coming from people that I knew personally. The 30fps lock and multiplayer stability were/are the biggest gripes about it, but Kanes Wrath improved the stability. Its a great rts if you don't suffer from internet levels of autism.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
EA need to release C&C stuff once in a while to keep the Trademark (if I have understood things right). There's a new C&C phone game coming now (Legions) but maybe it's TibSun and RA2 remastered next?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I assume the profit didn't check out with the bean counters' models, predictions and trends. I can easily see how making minor profit would strike the first red flag that "ding ding ding, sequels/successive releases by the same studio always generate less interest according to these charts!!!"
Why would they invest x million into something with a 10% return, when they could put that money into making fifa dlc with 50% return?
Why not both? Companies have a limited amount of money (shocking, I know).

I would totally d1p tibsun/ra2 remaster combo. I ended up really enjoying tibdawn remaster.

Black

Arcane
K29NzIF.jpg

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Another Remastered collection coming?
https://gamevro.com/another-command-conquer-remastered-collection-hinted-by-ea/
A collection of 17 titles from the storied real-time strategy game series, Command & Conquer Ultimate Edition, was recently released on Steam. The bundle includes a ton of community improvements and optimizations like level editors which have been anticipated for a long time, and is landing at a discounted price. The good news doesn’t end there, though, as a potential teaser about another Command & Conquer remastered collection was also dropped with the games that were added to Steam.

Jim Vesella, a prominent figure within the Command & Conquer community and a Lead Producer at EA, was the individual who initially unveiled the Command & Conquer Remastered collection. He recently posted a letter to the community on Steam, which, while containing generic community engagement content, slipped in an interesting line in the second paragraph: “After the launch of the first C&C Remastered Collection.”

Did you catch that hint? The use of “first C&C Remastered Collection,” not simply “C&C Remastered Collection,” raises eyebrows and fuels speculation.
Now there are a few things that add nuance to this discovery.

• If you check Vesella’s Reddit profile, his last comment before the above-mentioned one, was 4 years ago, and the fact that EA released a unique statement on this even speaks something.
  • Also, the comment’s mention of “Until next time” raises questions about future plans beyond the Command & Conquer Ultimate Collection’s release.
  • Then, the announcement of map editors FinalSun and FinalAlert 2 for Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2, released under the GPL version 3.0 license, prompts curiosity about why only these two games received editors.
With the approaching 30th Anniversary of Command & Conquer next year, it’s reasonable to speculate that EA might be testing the audience on Steam and potentially preparing for remasters of Tiberium Sun and Red Alert 2, given their significance in the franchise.

Of course, this could be nothing more than a simple oversight or a whimsical desire for the project to materialize. However, given Vesella’s integral role as the face of the project and his previous contributions to the C&C community, there’s a possibility that this subtle hint could be intentional.

Since its first PC release in 1995, the Command & Conquer game has received numerous expansions and sequels that its fans continue to cherish. And this week, Command & Conquer fans received some welcome news after a lengthy wait.
ra2-red-alert2.gif

Caim

Arcane
TibSun nearly broke 1k concurrent players earlier today, and Red Alert 2 reached well over 6.5k.

Sure that's not a lot, but those aren't bad numbers coming from games that predate 9/11. And Suicide Squad only barely manages to get more players than TibSun. So is the choice of words deliberate, or just wishful thinking on his part and he's trying to push EA into that direction in this fashion? We'll see.

deuxhero

Arcane
It makes sense when its tying up resources that could be spent on other things (you only have X many employees to make widgets, only so many factory lines that can make widgets, the raw resources needed to make widgets have an inelastic supply and discontinuing lower earning widgets lets those resources be used on more profitable kinds of widgets, there's only so many viable timeslots to air programs on, or even limited shelf space to stock widgets). I suspect it's execs having absolutely no understanding of how video games are made, or how digital goods work as almost completely passive income once created (once a decade you may need to hand a programmer the source code to fix 32 bit only/Y2K/Windows 10 issue) and trying to apply "logic" that only applies to a particular class of goods their background is in. The real unexplainable part is canning studios that are profitable but not profitable enough.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Couldn’t resist some easy nostalgia with Tiberian Sun. It was already around and available pre-patched for free before, but *fabulous optimism* that maybe it will show some support for the C&C franchise after they brutalized it. This version of TS works great with the fan patch so far (after some fiddling with the ini/resolution). Worth it just hearing the OST again:

If you want Steam to properly open the launcher for the patch, add this to the launch options: “(full path to the .exe)” %command%

ZH next on the docket, I still fondly remember my cousin sending me many burned RTS/RPG game discs in the 90’s/00’s; once I got ZH I was hooked for months..

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
TibSun nearly broke 1k concurrent players earlier today

And I was one of them! God, I missed this, game shows its age but still a delight to play. Maps are detailed with random things and shortcuts, AI is relentless and units die in dozens each combat.
After nearly finishing GDI campaign in one sitting, I switched to Generals. Also pure delight. Can't we have simple, fun, action packed RTS like this pretty please?
At least we have Beyond All Reason, it is also fun.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
OG Command and Conquer is just as much of a pixel hunt as I remember it being. Say what you will about the later installments beyond tiberian sun, but at least you don't have to comb the map moving at agonizingly slow speeds trying to hunt down the last SAM site someone put in a corner somewhere.

Still, I'm enjoying it, it's great fun and nostalgia, and still better than 90% of all modern games. Plus, now I'm realizing all the crazy pioneering shit they did back in the 90s. At some point I'll have to play the grandaddy of all RTSs, Dune 2. Probably won't have a chance/or the interest to test Herzog Zwei.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom