Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Command & Conquer Remastered Collection from Petroglyph

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
It appears earlier in TibSun. It's the group of elite Kane loyalists, led by "Anton Slavik" no less, that you're a part of in the NOD campaign.

Endemic

Arcane
It appears earlier in TibSun. It's the group of elite Kane loyalists, led by "Anton Slavik" no less, that you're a part of in the NOD campaign.

I meant the "crazy guy starting World War 1" bit. But sure, I hadn't remembered that since I never finished Tiberian Sun.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Yup and in the lore he is a fellow countryman.
A Bosnian Serb by birth, Slavik was orphaned at an early age and grew up during the last stages of the Balkan Civil War. Growing up, he witnessed the United Nations military forces crushing the fighting Serbs. His trauma created his deeply rooted hatred of the West, nurtured further by him and made him translate the Serbian us against the world mentality into Nod allegiance.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao

I meant the "crazy guy starting World War 1" bit. But sure, I hadn't remembered that since I never finished Tiberian Sun.
I think the Tiberian Sun black hand faction is at least a reference to the historical terrorist group. The Tiberian Dawn clip cutscene you shared indicates the devs were clearly familiar with it, after all.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Slavik was a cool dude, too bad they offed him before Tiberium Wars.

Allegedly it was because Firestorm had a smaller budget than the base game.
Slavik was the star of Firestorm.

Tiberium Wars was a weird retcon of things. It's kind of like Fallout 3 to Fallout 1&2. C&C fans were as upset by C&C3 as Fallout fans were about Fallout 3.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
C&C fans were as upset by C&C3 as Fallout fans were about Fallout 3.
I like the multiplayer best though, Generals is also fun but cnc3 feels more refined.
The nerds you find on dedicated sites often care more about story and lore than anything else. But I agree that the multiplayer aspect is vastly improved over the unbalanced and lacking Tiberian Sun.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron

Endemic

Arcane
Tiberium Wars was a weird retcon of things. It's kind of like Fallout 3 to Fallout 1&2. C&C fans were as upset by C&C3 as Fallout fans were about Fallout 3.

I don't think C&C really needed that many sequels anyway. Generals was fun, so EA didn't need to rely on established settings to make good RTSes.

Black

Arcane
"Tiberium Wars"
What are you people talking about? Tiberian Sun was the last canon C&C title, maybe Renegade too.
Apart from that, there was no other C&C title later.

Dayyālu

Arcane
"Tiberium Wars"

TibWars had problems. The fact that they had money meant the FMVs are now kind of a porthole in what actors were recognizable back then, and the ambience took a decisive focus on.... it's not exactly realism, but the presentation was far more grounded than TibSun. Maybe too much. I liked a lot when Kane's Wrath brought back some of the sci-fi silliness. Gameplay-wise, it's extremely functional and I even like it, the Scrin are a third faction that doesn't completely suck/lacks balance (Yuri, yes, I'm looking at you) and many ideas (particularly regarding superunits and superweapons) were well executed. Some were not, now I remember the fuckin' Nod walker that had to steal weapons from other Nod units to be upgraded.

It's a very workmanlike RTS. A parallel with Fallout 3 is offensive: F3 rapes the lore and it's Oblivion with guns, with no mechanical depth. I don't even remember many protests, Red Alert 3 was the one that caused seizures by going full Clown Red Dawn. And of course everything is now forgiven thanks to C&C4.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Speaking of FMV there is some Terminator themed tactical real time strategy game coming out that will have FMV for SP missions.

Maybe the real globohomo was the friends we made along the way. Also I hope they make RA2 remastered soon. That's the best RTS of all time.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I'd like to know who is responsible for further remasters not being announced yet. Wasn't this one a big success sales-wise?

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Well, fuck my life then. I thought 30k all time peak is very decent for such a project.

Edit: just by coincidence, I learned that RA3 is actually a decently played game now. Looking at stuff like this and the numbers that a dud like AoE4 managed to crank out, for example, there must be quite an untapped market for RTS. Bit of a shame that there's no one able to make a proper one, I guess.

Modron

Arcane
It made money it just didn't make enough that the bean counters saw value in making further remasters was my impression. Which is sad because they found all the masters needed to give Red Alert the same treatment when tracking down the stuff to make this one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom