Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Command & Conquer Remastered Collection from Petroglyph

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
The Allied ending in Red Alert 1 leads into the rest of the Red Alert series, while the Soviet ending leads to the Tiberium series.
How is that going to work? The first Tiberium game is pretty much real world 90s.

Nah, does not work at all, when you think about it.

Either the Allied ending is ALSO the backstory of C&C1, or the Red Alert Universe is mostly separate.

When you think about it, Blizzard had this large backstories in the manual, while Westwood games were very "bullet point form"-like. We don't even know when the alternative World War 2 started, heck, I am not even sure if the Americans are supposed to be part of the Allies. You certainly cannot pick them in multiplayer.
Red Alert 1 apparently takes place in an alternate 50s timeline, with Tiberium Dawn in the 90s. Apparently in a Soviet victory in RA1 Kane engineers the downfall of the Soviets and a liberation of Europe, which lays the groundwork for the New World Order that the GDI grows into.
Then why aren't GDI communists? Wouldn't a Soviet Victory and control over the west for 50 years result in the West being communist?

Caim

Arcane

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, which is why I don't quite follow the "Soviet victory leads to Tib Dawn" theory, because the Blue Zones in Tib Wars didn't look like something you'd find in a Communist state, and there didn't seem to be any communist themes in Tib Sun.

Also, wouldn't there be a Tiberium meteorite in the Red Alert universe too, if they were part of the same world and setting just different time lines? Wouldn't Scrin be in RA?

Apparently Westwood intended for Red Alert to be a prequel of sorts at first, but they had so much fun making it that they decided to turn it into it's own independent setting.

NOD is pretty cool though. I do actually like them more than GDI. Cooler units, more interesting gameplay. Also Kane. If they make another CnC game they better have Joe Kucan, because I don't know who else can portray Kane that way.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Lol if Kane became the head of the Soviet Union by having Stalin killed then he wouldn't need the Brotherhood and things would play out differently when the tib meteor hit Earth.

It's Allied victory that leads to tib dawn.

However as I already said the whole idea is preposterous and I disregard any conenections between tib and ra.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anyway, the interview mentions the Gulf War as an inspiration for C&C, and I agree that it is, but that happened four years before the game was released. It's pretty clear to me that the C&C1 setting was equally inspired by the Yugoslav wars (for the GDI campaign) and African conflicts such as the Rwandan civil war (for the Nod campaign), both ongoing during the game's development. Perhaps Bostic thought it would be politically incorrect to mention them.

Last edited:

Razor

Arcane
Isn't it disappointing that there's still no word on RA2/Tiberian Sun remaster? Tiberian Dawn/RA1 remaster was great, and sold well, it should be a no brainer.
I bet they have lost the source codes for the originals. Many such cases. SAD!

rFHxhet.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I'm playing the expansion campaigns for the first time in my life and while I appreciate the difficulty, boy do they suffer from a pretty bad case of Dungeon Keeper 2 syndrome. Instead of focusing on the strengths of the core gameplay at least from time to time, they just can't let go with all those quirky special rules and objectives and it can get really tiresome. That soviet mission with nearly indestructible mig dropping nukes on you all the time... Also objectively seem rather low effort, is there even any new units/buildings? The only thing that's left is the Aftermath and so far I've only seen the soviet tesla "tanks" that you get in like 2 missions. TD had nothing.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
M.A.D Tanks are an expansion vehicle as well. And I think Shock Troopers were added as an expansion unit as well as the missile sub. Don't remember if Chrono Tanks were in the original or not...

Hellraiser

Arcane
Don't remember if Chrono Tanks were in the original or not...
They weren't. Counterstrike didn't add new units, aftermath did, I remember this from the old school days when a friend got da big box of Red Alert will all expansion packs. The units were:

Soviets
shock troopers, tesla tanks, missile subs, MAD tank

Allies
Chrono tank, mechanic

Plus some campaign only ones.

Tiberian Dawn doesn't add units in Covert Ops, just missions, but it does allow you to for example screw around with chemical troopers in singleplayer which you couldn't in the OG game since it had not skirmish so you never saw the multiplayer-only units.

Also that's the other thing, TD and RA had the dumb thing where some stuff was only for multiplayer, like superweapons, allied gap generator, or rocket troopers for soviets or the gunship copter for Nod.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
OK, then the final campaign that's left for me has potential for incline. Just a small correction that Counterstrike does have tesla tanks. It's just that they don't look like tanks and can't be produced.

Hellraiser

Arcane
BTW I think RA doing new units in Aftermath ('97) was a totally new thing back in the day, as for example Warcraft 2's Beyond the Dark Portal ('96) also didn't add new units at all. Total Annihilation did add a shitload in Core Contingency (and I think you could use them in the base campaign? I remember building seaplanes in it) but that was released 1 year after Aftermath, in 1998.

Even brood war had just a whopping 2 fucking new units per side and that was also in '98.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
Well I mean cavedog had basically a new unit you could download every week from their website back then but even still TA came out 3 days after Aftermath.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Well I mean cavedog had basically a new unit you could download everyweek from there website back then but even still TA came out 3 days after Aftermath.
It was a truly unique thing only possible back then. And it was still unthinkable because the intertubes were this new shit then, while now it is unthinkable because even if publishers would somehow not monetize the units as premium DLC you would have 'muh competetive 'spergs whine about the meta and balance being screwed over every week.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Then why aren't GDI communists?
They are. GDI is globohomo = commies.
GDI are globohomo, but they're not commies. They are the golden billion. NOD are very clearly post USSR Maoist-Third Worldist and Titoist. NOD motto is even bratstvo i jedinstvo just translated into English.

The first C&C is geopolitical commentary on the Yugoslav wars, the first gulf war (competition for resources in the third world), unipolarity and global inequality. Some might even say it is geopolitical prophecy. Generals (I am playing ZH for the first time right now) likewise. RA1 was alternative history played fairly straight for the genre. TS is just straight up sci-fi and to some extent a product of Y2K angst, like Alpha Centauri. RA2 is just Red Dawn camp.

Incidentally the two more serious works from a game world perspective are also superior in terms of gameplay as well.

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
GDI are globohomo, but they're not commies. They are the golden billion. NOD are very clearly post USSR Maoist-Third Worldist and Titoist. NOD motto is even bratstvo i jedinstvo just translated into English.

The first C&C is geopolitical commentary on the Yugoslav wars, the first gulf war (competition for resources in the third world), unipolarity and global inequality. Some might even say it is geopolitical prophecy.

There's a Black Hand reference too in the final GDI briefing:

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
The Black Hand is also a NOD sub-faction in CnC3: Kane's Wrath.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom