Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship Early Access Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sòren

Arcane
bah. it will be fine.

if you wish any better results for your next game, say that you got 200 different endings. maybe more. and degenerate sex scenes (you don't need to have them, just claim that you do).

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
I think this year has seen a major uptick in game sales all across the board, if anything releasing it now is best opportunity for Colony Ship to do well. This is probably like one of the only years were releasing so many good games at once has benefited everyone.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Mortismal will probably cover the game close to launch, and he'll likely enjoy it a lot. He's got pretty good viewership, so hopefully that'll help boost sales. I sometimes question his critical skills, but he does do good for CRPGs as a whole. I'll be telling anyone I know who likes CRPGs to get it, and probably gifting a copy or two.

Can't wait to finally do a proper playthrough or two myself!
Splattercatgaming is the channel that might boost the game's sales. It has 3 times more subscribers than that channel you mentioned(Idk if that translates to views though - it probably does).

Well, I just checked both let's play videos in both channels. Splattercat has 2 videos with 266k and 273k views each. Mortsmal has 2 videos aswell with 5,7k and 21k views. They were posted around the same time. Massive difference. Honestly even I didn't think the difference would be that big(which is a good thing for the game I guess, depending on the point of view).

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
Well that's good. Mortismal is the one I was familiar with having mentioned Colony Ship. I'm aware of Splattercat, but he rarely has anything of substance to say and seems to usually only play the first hour or so of games on his videos, so I rarely even really watch him to get a sample of gameplay, and that usually only happens when his videos are posted on the dex.

Pretty much beside the point though. If they're both covering it, then it's better for the game, period.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
It's on point actually. With that difference in viewership, one channel probably has a much better chance of boosting the sales than the other. And we're not talking about a small difference here. It's 30k views against more than half a million.

Half a million views for an indie RPG with a shoestring budget is huge AFAIK. If you take all AoD videos on youtube, for instance, it won't reach that number(probably not even half).

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
Uh, yeah, but they're both going to cover the game anyway, right? All I was saying was I didn't know Splattercat had covered and was going to probably cover the game on release. That's what I meant when I said its beside the point. I wasn't arguing about who had more views.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
For the record, I don't even watch youtube reviews and I certainly don't follow either of those channels. The only reason I know about those videos is because VD mentioned it.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think that Colonel RPG might cover it, too.

He has a let's play of the EA, I think. While the let's play doesn't have a huge amount of viewers, the first video hit almost 55k views.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I wonder if Vince will supply streamers with saves comprising various party setups at various stages of the plot? That could let the reviewers put more meat on the bones of the reviews.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
I can see Colony Ship making a ton of money then Vince gets a ferrari and tries picking up some hot babes and they ask what he does and he says in a faggot nerd voice that he makes RPG's as they laugh and run away.

Sòren

Arcane
sneak system seems somewhat glitched. two examples:
1. when infiltrating the detroit gang's compound at the Pit some guards (the sharpshooter specifically who can see through walls now) react for no goddamn reason

this might be intentional, but it's still strange:
2. after acquiring the eye in Land of The Blind even yellow tiles - after your movement etc - sound the alarm bell.

Sòren

Arcane
it used to work just fine - meaning the mechanics were transparent - but something definitely happened after the last two updates.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
and btw, small suggestion: u should really tweak the heavy energy rifle. i jumped through to hoops get access to this secret vault, only to realize that its properties are hardly any better than those of the standard; the range, for instance, makes it hardly useable in certain areas (especially late game areas) and for certain builds and the few (1 or 2?) additional damage points do not make it worth applying. i guess the better option is the scoped energy rifle from the clerk at the habitat? i don't know what that does though.
Yeah, rifles are lacking in energy weapons department. The current one is fine for sniper builds (it'll be like 4 points of extra damage or so when you consider most enemies have worse energy than ballistics armor), but if you have the stats to use burst fire it just can't compare. SMGs are in a similar situtation since its only energy weapon of choice has like 10-12 dmg, which is very close to 0 since most lategame enemies have 10+ armor.
Abu Antar not them, but here's mine:
oiatsp.png

This is one completionist playthrough of the current build, plus a couple restarts early on.
I wasted quite a bit of time on saveloading(sneaking, bad combat RNG) plus aforementioned restarts, however there's like 15% of content unimplemented - I'd say a full blind playthrough will be 30hrs give or take if you know your way around the genre.

That last sentence is some potentially grim reading, but also this can be the truth of many studios.
I feel like that at least partially has to do with this thread's discussion about the game's increased price tag compared to AoD
30 hours for a single playthrough seems like a lot to me, but I've also played the game many times in EA. I'd guess more like 10-20, but there's a good amount of re-playability, although not quite as much as AoD.

Sòren

Arcane
and btw, small suggestion: u should really tweak the heavy energy rifle. i jumped through to hoops get access to this secret vault, only to realize that its properties are hardly any better than those of the standard; the range, for instance, makes it hardly useable in certain areas (especially late game areas) and for certain builds and the few (1 or 2?) additional damage points do not make it worth applying. i guess the better option is the scoped energy rifle from the clerk at the habitat? i don't know what that does though.
Yeah, rifles are lacking in energy weapons department. The current one is fine for sniper builds (it'll be like 4 points of extra damage or so when you consider most enemies have worse energy than ballistics armor), but if you have the stats to use burst fire it just can't compare. SMGs are in a similar situtation since its only energy weapon of choice has like 10-12 dmg, which is very close to 0 since most lategame enemies have 10+ armor.

the standard energy rifle is pretty great for snipers as it is, it's just that the heavy one doesn't add much or anything to that. and considering how much of an effort (computers 10 or lockpick 10) you have to make to get there, it just doesn't make sense. but yeah, energy rifles are not meant to be used for close combat. and agree about SMG energy weapons, they are lacking.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Wtf no romances, literally no point in having female companions then.

:rpgcodex:

Half jokes aside, looking forward to the release, have been avoiding spoilers so other then premise have no idea what im in for other then hoping it will be as good as AoD.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Sneak system is half-baked, counterintuitive and gamey, and shouldn't be in the game at all.
It is fine. Some stealth sequences are really fun to go through.

My favorite is probably Fort Stanton.
I think the sneak system is a lot of fun, although it suffers a bit from a lack of truly good encounters. The final church quest in the pit is really well made imo, if you have a low/medium investment sneaker you can get a free kill or maybe two, with a lot of sneaking you can basically assassinate the whole building. There's a few other encounters like that where you can mix stealth and normal combat, which tend to be cool. But then there's also some encounters where it's just cameras, or you just pop cloaking field and win instantly and those aren't as fun.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
1. when infiltrating the detroit gang's compound at the Pit some guards (the sharpshooter specifically who can see through walls now) react for no goddamn reason

There was a hole between meshes (since time immemorial), but since now he had a patrol route he saw through it. Will be fixed for the final release.

Jrpgfan

Erudite

There was a hole between meshes (since time immemorial), but since now he had a patrol route he saw through it. Will be fixed for the final release.
Like a tear in the fabric of reality? Could creatures from other dimension come through it?

If yes, please don't fix it. Postpone the release and add an Event Horizon ending.

Sòren

Arcane
when fighting Hargrave after lowering the shields one of his guards (shotgunner) starts outside of the combat area. which means, you cannot even reach him with a melee fighter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom