Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship Early Access Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
90% of people buy the game when it's on sale (even if the price is $4.99), so paying full price is basically buying a supporter's edition these days. There will be a 25% discount on release, so the effective price will be $29.99.
Steam sales and their consequences have been a disaster for gaming.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Uhh maybe he was retarded and recently they discovered some biotech bullshit that cured his retarded condition but he still need to learn shit :lol:
I heard the MC accidentally locked himself inside his container for years and years, only spent time eating rations and practicing and got his skills all to lvl 1 by the time you start the game.
Thats why he lives in the Pit and still knows nothing about people/places.

jackofshadows

Magister
- camera is fucking weird, same as AoD. Makes the whole trip a little cumbersome
See that's why I disagree with ITS desicion to make an odd compromise and fix camera while having 3d enviroment. Fucks like these won't even notice the difference anyway.
- chargen is the same shit as Fallout. Don't like cheap cloning of systems a la ATOM. Try something original after 20 years of RPG design ethos ffs
ATOM is in fact a Fallout clone both in terms of chargen and game mechanics while here that's misleading same as with UnderRail. Chargen resembles Fallout obviously but for one this game has learn by doing progress system. And by the way, was you bothered by lack of innovations in case of Grimoire?

kangaxx

Arbiter
It's almost as if some people aren't aware you can buy a game in Early Access at a lower price, to support the developer during the game's development when funds are needed most, and then not play it until full release.

It is, indeed, possible to buy a game now then wait a few months or years before you play it.

Same with people asking "When does this come out?"

It is out. It's not finished yet, but it's out - you can purchase it right now.
If you want to support the developer, and you intend to play it on release anyway, why not buy it right now? Why wait? Go ahead, give Vince your money.
I bought it ages ago and am waiting until the full release to play it. In my experience it's better that way than to play a portion of the game, leave it and then have to come back and redo everything.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
It's almost as if some people aren't aware you can buy a game in Early Access at a lower price, to support the developer during the game's development when funds are needed most, and then not play it until full release.

It is, indeed, possible to buy a game now then wait a few months or years before you play it.

Same with people asking "When does this come out?"

It is out. It's not finished yet, but it's out - you can purchase it right now.
If you want to support the developer, and you intend to play it on release anyway, why not buy it right now? Why wait? Go ahead, give Vince your money.
I bought it ages ago and am waiting until the full release to play it. In my experience it's better that way than to play a portion of the game, leave it and then have to come back and redo everything.
While i do agree with you on that, CS is one of the rare games that is worth redoing in EA, and especially once it hits 1.0

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Writing is weakest at the very beginning, there's a lot of awkwardness in having the protagonist be someone who's always lived in The Pit while still needing things to be explained to them
Maybe he got hit on the head and lost his memory?
He's a shut-in nerd who never interacted with anyone outside his basement before (most relateable character for Codexers).

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Writing is weakest at the very beginning, there's a lot of awkwardness in having the protagonist be someone who's always lived in The Pit while still needing things to be explained to them
He's a shut-in nerd who never interacted with anyone outside his basement before (most relateable character for Codexers).
That would explain '1' in all skills

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
That would explain '1' in all skills
Protag doesn't have 1 in all skills though. You get at least one tagged skill and a few skill points to distribute as the game starts, as well as a feat.
I agree that the intro can feel a bit awkward (like needing to ask who Mercy is, or where her fort is located, or what's up with the arena), feels like they could have put a few questions about the pit and your relation to it and its inhabitants in the optional starting poll or something.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
- camera is fucking weird, same as AoD. Makes the whole trip a little cumbersome
Agreed, really needs a follow player toggle and they should probably reduce how far you can zoom out so you can't see the edges of the environment.

Yup, definitely

Poor camera implementation can lessen the experience for me, like in AoD or NwN 2

- writing is meh
Writing is weakest at the very beginning, there's a lot of awkwardness in having the protagonist be someone who's always lived in The Pit while still needing things to be explained to them, the overly utilitarian dialogue choices are also a bit dull.

Yeah I am not seeing many dialogue choices nor interesting ones. It's all very basic and comes down to accepting/declining quests and offers.

I don't think the protagonist being someone "who has always lived in the Pit" is the problem here

- chargen is the same shit as Fallout. Don't like cheap cloning of systems a la ATOM. Try something original after 20 years of RPG design ethos ffs
Very few games use Fallout as a reference point, let alone cook up an entirely new ruleset of their own. I don't see an issue especially when CS systems are much more deliberate and finely-tuned than ATOM's.

No, you are right, ATOM is a blatant clone

However I didn't talk about the systems overall, but the chargen

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
See that's why I disagree with ITS desicion to make an odd compromise and fix camera while having 3d enviroment. Fucks like these won't even notice the difference anyway.

What?

ATOM is in fact a Fallout clone both in terms of chargen and game mechanics while here that's misleading same as with UnderRail. Chargen resembles Fallout obviously but for one this game has learn by doing progress system.

The chargen in Colony Ship is the same shit as Fallout

Skill tags, "Gifted" trait, etc. It's just boring

Attributes are almost the same as SPECIAL

And by the way, was you bothered by lack of innovations in case of Grimoire?

Like what? Grimoire has a unique character system. I doubt you have played it

You can migrate to and from various classes infinitely. I have only seen Bradley's Wizards & Warriors try something similar but it's still not that

Also different class and race combinations have different bonuses. And you have some really original stats like Spirit and Age, which I have never seen attempted before

I played the demo of Grimoire before 2012 and the chargen was quite complex, whereas here it's dull. Just an honest opinion

jackofshadows

Magister
I haven't but as far as I know, it has lots of similiarities with Wiz7, is it not? Which is absolutely fine, just as Fallout -> UR/AoD/subj. Unlike various clones, these games are merely inspired by Fallout. Just implying your take seems as a biased one. I have a bias to, mind you, just an opposite one.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I haven't but as far as I know, it has lots of similiarities with Wiz7, is it not? Which is absolutely fine, just as Fallout -> UR/AoD/subj. Unlike various clones, these games are merely inspired by Fallout. Just implying you take seems as a biased one. I have a bias to, mind you, just an opposite one.

I am going to play this again when it is released but character building looks meh and too derivative

My advice to the devs is to expand on different types of traits (such as those "on kill" traits or "on hit", etc). It's easily the most interesting part of the system

Technomancer

Liturgist
Writing is weakest at the very beginning, there's a lot of awkwardness in having the protagonist be someone who's always lived in The Pit while still needing things to be explained to them, the overly utilitarian dialogue choices are also a bit dull.

Mentioned it before, VD promised to revisit it. He just didn't have the time.

I have problems with how the dialogue is portrayed @Vault Dweller . During the early segments of the game, the MC asks questions like if he was a fresh arrival on the ship, not a born and bred denizen who lived his entire life (until now) in the pit doing odd jobs here and there.
VD already agreed to change it. I promised to send him a list with all of the instances and suggestions with more organic phrases.

I did actually follow through on that promise. Delayed it forever and I hated doing that lol. Even something so insignificant requires a lot focus :eek:

1.gif

2.gif

He also reconfirmed recently that itz happening.

qst.png

mold

Novice
Ok, bought the game and been playing for a couple of days (just entering the Habitat). It's turning out to be better than expected. Still not a fan of the stiff design when it comes to quests, story progress and skill challenges, but it's much improved from AoD. I've got a melee guy with two ranged followers and combat is often fairly challenging, but aside from some optional encounters it's not all that difficult. Feels maybe easier than AoD. Being as simple as it is, it gets a bit samey, though - this kind of combat arena design would be much more enjoyable if it was something like Blackguards with battles more like tactical puzzles with environmental interaction/hazards. Some areas are a bit large considering how little there is to do, but at least they're interesting enough to look at (though sometimes a little too dark on my screen). As for story and characters, there hasn't been anything particularly memorable yet, but the setting is very cool indeed and I love the overall tone of it. I'm not sure if Colony Ship is intended more as a story game or a combat game, but I don't think it's entirely satisfying as either. Still pretty good. Probably won't have time to play when the full release happens, but will be recommending to some of my friends and enemies.

Technomancer

Liturgist
Being as simple as it is, it gets a bit samey, though - this kind of combat arena design would be much more enjoyable if it was something like Blackguards with battles more like tactical puzzles with environmental interaction/hazards
Didn't care for blackguards 2 tbh. Heard a lot of praise for it but after I tried it, tactics in it didn't grab me in the same way Iron Tower games did. Dropped it maybe half way, in the city with the arena.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I hope you didn't start with Blackguards 2 which is inferior to its predecessor in every bloody way. First game is good but it came in a time when we were counting turn based RPGs that released in a with one hand only. Kında saved us from starvation.

Technomancer

Liturgist
I hope you didn't start with Blackguards 2 which is inferior to its predecessor in every bloody way. First game is good but it came in a time when we were counting turn based RPGs that released in a with one hand only. Kında saved us from starvation.
Very much did. Usually game 2 is superior if all things went right.

xuerebx

Erudite
That's the biggest assumption I've read all day :P

agris

Arcane
Patron
Your insane assumption aside, blaggards 1 is by far the superior tactics game

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Orud As was foretold, steam sales have permanently devalued games to the point where the base price barely matters, because 90% of the customers get it on sale. AAA survives fine because of the hype machine so they pull in day1 sales, but indies (that already sell for a third of full price) get shafted.

Technomancer

Liturgist
That's the biggest assumption I've read all day :P
I mean it looked more fun from a side glance. First game was stuck in dungeon or some shit and second game was rail roaded adventure. Assuming the gameplay was roughly the same, I picked the one that sounded more fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom