Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Neanderthal

Arcane
Anybody knows what's his new twitter pic?

LvOoSorn.jpg

Michael Flatley burnin in Hell, still riverdancing the twat!

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE!

IT WAS SAID YOU WOULD DESTROY BETHESDA, NOT JOIN THEM!

BRING FALLOUT BACK TO GREATNESS, NOT LEAVE IT IN DARKNESS!

121615_0559_How_Much_Does3.png

Neanderthal

Arcane
I'm not much on a gossiper but even i've gotta wonder what the fuck other lads at Obs did to piss off MCA, I mean hes one o nicest blokes in industry, even ventures into our sewer to answer us questions, accepts interviews from nobdys, answers shit loads o fan questions an gis advice unstintingly, an hes never usually got a bad word for anybody, sparin criticism only for his own work. Musta taken some fuckin effort to piss the dude off to this extent.

Latro

Arcane
I'm not much on a gossiper but even i've gotta wonder what the fuck other lads at Obs did to piss off MCA, I mean hes one o nicest blokes in industry, even ventures into our sewer to answer us questions, accepts interviews from nobdys, answers shit loads o fan questions an gis advice unstintingly, an hes never usually got a bad word for anybody, sparin criticism only for his own work. Musta taken some fuckin effort to piss the dude off to this extent.
If you spend hundreds of hours of your life on stuff that gets dumped and passed over anyway, you'd be bitter too. Especially if they passive aggressively only use your name to push projects that you're barely involved in.

Drax

Arcane
Is this that "welsh" language I often hear about?

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy

If you spend hundreds of hours of your life on stuff that gets dumped and passed over anyway, you'd be bitter too. Especially if they passive aggressively only use your name to push projects that you're barely involved in.

It was jealousy, pure and simple. Sawyer and Cain couldn't take the amount of praise he receive from the industry and tried to dismiss his work. That and many other quibbles that were accumulated along the time. It's hard not be on the side of Avellone on this.

Doma

Augur

It was jealousy, pure and simple. Sawyer and Cain couldn't take the amount of praise he receive from the industry and tried to dismiss his work. That and many other quibbles that were accumulated along the time. It's hard not be on the side of Avellone on this.

Now you are just making shit up...

Tell us more about how Sawyer and Cain really feel inside :D

Deleted member 7219

I always thought they'd give him another game to be creative director on, but years and years went by and it never happened, so he's entitled to be upset.

He still shouldn't have trashed Fallout: New Vegas the way he did, though.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Now you are just making shit up...

Avellone said that:

(1) Obsidian developers had shitty work ethics that lead them to release buggy games.
(2) Obsidian developers want to work for big publishers, but they will not get a big contract because they are not perceived as talented enough.

That and many other insults. Seriously, someone have to start making a compilation of insults, because they are pulling up with each new interview.

Fairfax

Arcane
Sawyer did say he was a bit jealous of PS:T in the Black Isle days, but Cain? Why do you say that?
What makes you think the problem was on their end?
It could've been MCA not wanting the job or Obsidian's partners preference for Sawyer, we don't really know. Chris did say he didn't want to be Lead Writer at Obsidian anymore, but he didn't say anything about Project Director.

Neanderthal

Arcane

Tim Cain not bein praised is a bit far fetched, most on us have got shrines to the fucker, hes treated like a livin bloody legend.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It could've been MCA not wanting the job or Obsidian's partners preference for Sawyer, we don't really know. Chris did say he didn't want to be Lead Writer at Obsidian anymore, but he didn't say anything about Project Director.

Chris has said a lot of things about Obsidian over the past year, but one thing he's never really said is that they refused to give him a project. The obvious conclusion would be that that wasn't how things went down. He has talked about how personal/family issues prevent him from taking any leadership role. It's possible that those extend back further than we know.

He does seem a bit upset about not being able to exert a greater influence over Obsidian's game development from his diminished role, which could be interpreted as a desire to be a project director, but I don't think so. Otherwise I think he wouldn't have developed that whole theory of team structure that he's talking about in conferences now.

Fairfax

Arcane

Chris has said a lot of things about Obsidian over the past year, but one thing he's never really said is that they refused to give him a project. The obvious conclusion would be that that wasn't how things went down. He has talked about how personal/family issues prevent him from taking any leadership role. It's possible that those extend back further than we know.

He does seem a bit upset about not being able to exert a greater influence over Obsidian's game development from his diminished role, which could be interpreted as a desire to be a project director, but I don't think so. Otherwise I think he wouldn't have developed that whole theory of team structure that he's talking about in conferences now.
He implied here that he wanted to be Project lead:
(Fairfax) Ask him if he's planning on being lead designer again in whatever he chooses to work on next: Answer: I would take on that role, but I'd rather be a Project Lead, since those seem to turn out better for me overall.
I already wanted to work on Torment (not as a Project Lead, that wouldn't have been possible while at Obsidian),

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom