Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Choose your path to greatness, obscurity or death. A multiple choice LP

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
3 - let's not push him - he might be working as her informant for all we know
B - this is probably not a secret anymore anyway - there were too many witnesses
D - in C it's just too blatantly obvious we have the artifact in question; we kept it a secret from Medah, so let's not reveal it to somebody that might pass this information to him

Oh, and let's not start practising until we recover. The last thing we need is to lose our arm to infection.
This

Kz3r0

Arcane
B - this is probably not a secret anymore anyway - there were too many witnesses
D - in C it's just too blatantly obvious we have the artifact in question; we kept it a secret from Medah, so let's not reveal it to somebody that might pass this information to him

Oh, and let's not start practising until we recover. The last thing we need is to lose our arm to infection.
This

Arpad

Educated

Better just leave asking about that metal for the time being until better opportunities arrive.

Urist McLurker

Learned

This

GreyViper

Prophet
B
D
Its kind of obvious that Thomas is part of some kind of information gathering network and his shop is a front. So i wouldn't be surprised if Irene would become aware of our crush for her or any other things we tell Thomas.

Since Baltika9 brought up the topic of swords, bastard sword sounds like a good option, because it offers more flexibility. The other option would be to go with dual wield sword and poniard. About chainmail, its best against slashing weapons that Kyossis most likely encounter on downside its not that good against arrows.

One more vote for bastard sword. Flexible, but with a little more reach and bite (and imo a lot more cooler) then a longsword. Just need to pick up some two-handed sword skill - maybe we already have some as a default from our existing one-handed sword skill?

Also, not sure about metal armor. Better protection, sure - but it also comes with more weight and probably isn't concealable. Carrying it would immediately mark us as a soldier or somebody expecting (or out to cause) trouble.

Baltika9

Arcane
Bros, it's waaay to early to exchange our equipment. We'd be screwing ourselves, since we'd have two not even decent skills, instead of one decent. I say, wait till our sword skill is 6 and then switch to whatever.
By the way, what attributes do bastard swords level? Also keep in mind that we've started to level DEX, so switching to STR would, too, be stupid, for the same reasons.
And props to Zero Cred for the chainmail argument, I agree. Kyoss is starting to train for light combat, and weshould make him good at that first, before we multiclass, bros.
And is there a rappelling skill? Because we should learn it. If Smashing Axe is correct, and it's the Avarlos empire from underground, they're bound to have a buried city, or a giant-ass multi-story cave complex. Plus, y'know, commando stuff.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron

This
This.

As for weapon choice, do not switch to heavier weapons and armor but lighter ones - make the character more rogueish than fighterish. The wizardish part is a given ;)

It's not as if we would be making our training useless if we pick up a bastard sword - we can still use it one handed, and switch to two hands when we really need to do some damage. More options are good, no? Anyway, I doubt rapiers are available in this setting, and I fucking detest dual wielding.

And I really doubt the underground theory. Yeah, they have giant centipedes. But they also have horses. Dwarf fortress aside, I don't see this happening.

Vernydar

Learned
Now, there seems to be a big discussion going on weapons and armor. I do not want to influence you, but I think I need to answer a few questions, since they are mechanics questions. But first, some suggestions I really need to make because I want you guys to understand

- Please remember what I wrote here http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...multiple-choice-lp.72636/page-47#post-2206210
- About dual wield. You guys did not take ambidexterity. As such, dual wield is something very hard, and requires high skills and high attributes. Not something I'd recommend for now.
- What I would suggest is, get some defensive skill sooner rather than later. Be it dodge if you plan to use leather armor, or shield if you use a shield, or armor if you use medium or heavy armor. Seriously, you are more or less sitting ducks right now, all you have is some parry with the sword. You'll never reach sword or whatever else to 10 if it's very easy to injure you. Do not think: first reach sword 6, then train something else. Remember that bringing skills up takes more and more time the higher you go.
- And lastly, attributes do increase but SLOWLY. My suggestions is: do not train with attributes in mind. Train for the skills you want to use, attributes will increase accordingly.

Regarding bastard sword. It does a little more damage and parries a little worse than a sword if used one-handed. If used two-handed, it parries a little better but does a little less damage than a two-handed sword.

Rappelling falls under the climbing skill, which also includes climbing with ropes.

Since you plan to go to the blacksmith, this evening I will have some questions on weapons.

Vernydar

Learned
Oh hell, I'll just post it. Please note how hard it is to increase skills or attributes beyond a certain point

Skill level - Xp total
0 ------ 0
1 ------ 100
2 ------ 300
3 ------ 500
4 ------ 900
5 ------ 1500
6 ------ 2500
7 ------ 4100
8 ------ 6700
9 ------ 10900
10 ------ 17700
11 ------ 39500
12 ------ 74900
etc

but attributes only gain a fraction of the points a skill does

GreyViper

Prophet
Now, there seems to be a big discussion going on weapons and armor. I do not want to influence you, but I think I need to answer a few questions, since they are mechanics questions. But first, some suggestions I really need to make because I want you guys to understand

- Please remember what I wrote here http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...multiple-choice-lp.72636/page-47#post-2206210
- About dual wield. You guys did not take ambidexterity. As such, dual wield is something very hard, and requires high skills and high attributes. Not something I'd recommend for now.
- What I would suggest is, get some defensive skill sooner rather than later. Be it dodge if you plan to use leather armor, or shield if you use a shield, or armor if you use medium or heavy armor. Seriously, you are more or less sitting ducks right now, all you have is some parry with the sword. You'll never reach sword or whatever else to 10 if it's very easy to injure you. Do not think: first reach sword 6, then train something else. Remember that bringing skills up takes more and more time the higher you go.
- And lastly, attributes do increase but SLOWLY. My suggestions is: do not train with attributes in mind. Train for the skills you want to use, attributes will increase accordingly.

Regarding bastard sword. It does a little more damage and parries a little worse than a sword if used one-handed. If used two-handed, it parries a little better but does a little less damage than a two-handed sword.

Rappelling falls under the climbing skill, which also includes climbing with ropes.

Since you plan to go to the blacksmith, this evening I will have some questions on weapons.
Thanks for clearing that up, guess now we need to figure out most effective build.:thumbsup:
- I still think bastard sword is the way to go since you can use it 1H or 2H.
- As to armor tough choice because we need to start think about STR soon. And if we do have to fight underground then, the mobility is wasted in tunnels, heavy armor and long reach weapons rule there, but that's for the future. Btw whats the penalty of using chain mail, because it shouldn't hinder mobility. Also would wearing it increase our strength slowly over time, meaning the more you work out the lighter it feels?

Vernydar

Learned
Chain mail is medium armor. It's not very rigid, but it's still HEAVY and encumbers a lot more than clothes or leather. That's why it requires a skill, though the penalties are lower than heavy armor. If you want to go leather armor, you don't really need much strength

As for combat in close quarters/underground/whatever, mobility is wasted, but you can still use leather armor + the dodge skill. Unless a giant centipede charges you, which means you are dead if you can't dodge.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Well, preliminary vote for leather + dodge + 1H weapons (sword, knife) + only bucklers or similar very light shields (or no shield at all, but definitely not dual-wielding bullshit).

Vernydar

Learned
Bloodshifter no, those are "exotic" weapons not in the setting for now. They do not exist in Eskal

To everyone, thanks a lot for all the posts,but I decided I will have you vote for a "combat style" in the next update. Should be up in 3-4 hours :)

Note that combat style will be variable and not binding in the least, but it will help me with writing the updates, so I will ask from time to time. For example, here I am asking in order to let you choose what to buy at the blacksmith and such.

Have some mercy, I'm already giving you more freedom of choice than any other multiple choice Lp I have seen in the forum :)

Vernydar

Learned
To further clarify, I'm happy for ever post, but in this case I cannot merge your suggestions. They are all exclusive options. As such I'm being buried under too many different proposals XD

Baltika9

Arcane
I still think Irene should be a tranny. It would be a tasteful, not to mention creative, troll on your part.

Vernydar

Learned
Overwhelming victory for 3B. Third choice, d beats c 9 to 7 votes.
ITT: some things I'll have you choose about combat. Mainly an update about that.

58 – Of weapons, armors, and Bitak

You decide to avoid pushing Thomas for more information about Irene. He seems reluctant, and you have the impression he's not going to tell you, so better not force the issue. You also decide in the end to keep the metal artifact secret. At first you think you might ask without telling you have it, but soon you realize he would surely understand that. Better not do something like that.

However you do tell him about the "magic thunderstorm" you saw. After all there were a lot of people there, he is bound to know sooner or later because people will talk. And so you describe the entire event to him, and ask him what he thinks about it. But he doesn't have much solid information to tell you.

"How interesting, a storm you say. Yes, yes there are a few old records that talk of such magics, ones which manipulate the weather! Apparently it was some rather difficult magic. But such a huge storm, it was most likely created by many magic users! If not, an exceptional individual. And they somehow seem to be enemies of these people who use centipedes. Though of course this does not mean they are friends... Hmm the most fascinating thing is that these people obviously know about our centipede-using enemies, and how to find them in the forest!"

Afterwards you thank Thomas, and return to your lodgings for the night. The next day in the afternoon you decide to have your armor repaired, and maybe to buy some weapons and armor....

Ok, here I'm going to ask you what kind of combat style you plan to use for now. Please note, this is NOT binding, you can change it anytime if the needs arise. But it helps me with the narration, with deciding what weapons and armor to put in the store list, and frankly to avoid going insane :P
  1. Light armor, one-handed balanced weapon (sword, spear, knife) + dodge to avoid hits
  2. Light armor, one-handed weapon (any) + shield to block hits
  3. Medium armor, one-handed weapon (any)+ shield to block hits
  4. Medium armor, two-handed weapon
  5. Heavy armor, one-handed weapon (any)+shield to block hits
  6. Heavy armor, two-handed weapon

Which combat skill do you plan to train once you can start again, in about 10 days? I'm listing all the combat skills that make sense here (I skipped some rare thrown skills, and war-specific weapons like polearms and cavalry lances)
A) Armor (necessary for medium and heavy armor only)
B) Dodge
C) Shield
D) Sword
E) Axe
F) Mace
G) Spear
H) Knife
I) Bow
J) Knife Throwing
K) Axe Throwing
L) Two-handed sword
M) Two-handed axe
N) Two-handed mace
O) Sling
P) Unarmed Combat

Finally, you have done all the most voted things from yesterday's update considering the store purchases I will write about tomorrow. You have another 10 or so days, and the only thing left is study. But if you want you can queue up other things to do, or tell me to go to Jacob earlier. Your call, vote as many things as you want.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
B)

Also, voting again for a visit to the local church.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom