Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Choose your path to greatness, obscurity or death. A multiple choice LP

Baltika9

Arcane
Vernydar, did we learn to fight with a sword+shield, or just a sword, and is the shield a separate skill?
Besides which, 1 relies that we act cautious like in the last update, not trying to be an hero, but helping out where we can. Sadly, without enjoying it.

And our character may die without enjoying his last moments of life. I hope you're happy, codex. I hope you are happy.

Weeaboo waifu lovers. :rpgcodex:

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Yeah, what's wrong with you, 'Dex? First you refuse to drink, and then you refuse to ac like a sociopath? That's not socially adequate behavior, people. Seriously, cyoa's are about having fun, not seducing imaginary women with your "sword" of "plus twelve pleasure". Loosen up, 'Dex.
Plus, what hoodoo said. I'd fist you, bro, but I don't have the right to yet.

:salute:

id fist as well, but DU's taken mine away :(

GreyViper

Prophet
1 Go kill Centipede overlords. Try to take them by surprise and go for decapitation kills, because they shouldn't be heavily armored.

Project: Eternity
2) Send the guys with you to go kill the centipede overlords with "Kill the guy with tattoos on his face and the they lose control of the bugs". Meanwhile hang back and only help out a little so we don't get killed. Call it watching the flanks for attacking centipedes.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Yah, we might be able to come behind the melee and bring down a few men, maybe even look like a hero. The soldiers should make short work of the controllers.

Vernydar

Learned
Vernydar, did we learn to fight with a sword+shield, or just a sword, and is the shield a separate skill?
Besides which, 1 relies that we act cautious like in the last update, not trying to be an hero, but helping out where we can.

You learned to fight with the sword only. Shield is a different skill, I think I mentioned it once. But anyway, some more explanation which I planned to give you once you started to work on your first defense skill. I think I'll add it to the rules posts.

The first this I have to say here is: combat is REALISTIC. Forget the D&D classic rules of hit points and levels. No matter how good you are with skills, a sword will kill you in one hit if the placement is good.

For defense:
- if you have medium/heavy armor sword+shield gives you the best defense. But, both shield and armor require a skill (shield to use it, armor to avoid being a sitting duck. Historically, it took a lot of practice for people to move around while armored!). You also need some strength for this! Definitely above average strength, the more the better. Armor and shield are HEAVY. The focus is blocking incoming hits or letting the armor defend you. You want the shield because you're strong anyway and can't dodge.
- if you have light/no armor, sword + dodge skill give you the best defense. Light armor does not require a skill because it's no more encumbering than heavy clothes. The focus is avoiding being hit (dodge + parry), armor is a last resort. Dexterity is king here, the higher the better. Shield can be used, but is always useful only against ranged weapons like arrows or thrown weapons. Against melee, shield is only useful if you have good strength and higher shield skill than sword skill. You might as well go without shield to be able to dodge better unless you think you'll face ranged weapons.

Please note that both have things they are best at, and things they are ill-suited at. In a large battle, medium/heavy armor can defend you from stray hits and arrows, but lowers your mobility. So it is somewhat better, unless you need to move fast often.
But for example against large monsters, light armor + dodge without shield is much better. If you think you can block the charge of a twenty tons centipede, think again! Dodge the charge instead and you will live. Same would be true for many other "classic" large monsters, if they exist (I won't tell you now, no :p). Suppose dragons exist, forget D&D "bite me 10 times to kill me". A dragon would realistically cut you in two with a bite, no matter the armor you have. Dodge it instead. Consider that a crocodile has a bite pressure of 250 kg/square centimeter. Multiply that by ten or more, and you know metal armor won't protect.

For attack:

Two handed weapons do the most damage but require the most strength and often mean having low defense. As such it is often used with heavy armor (might as well since you're not dodging and can hardly parry)
- Two-handed sword is the most balanced. High damage, can parry sometimes
- Two handed axe/mace are all about killing before being killed as you can't really parry at all. Blunt or cutting damage.
- Long poleaxes are all about killing before someone gets in range

One-handed weapons do less damage but can either be used with a shield, or with dodge. A quick list of the most common:
- Sword is the most balanced, decent attack power, good defense
- Axe/mace is all about attack and rather unbalanced, often used with a shield. Good damage though not as good as two handed weapons. Blunt or cutting damage.
- Spear is more a weapon for quick attacks and retreat, or fighting in tight formations (think of the phalanx for example)

Whew, rather long :P

By the way, 1) won, without the sadism. The update will be up in one or two hours

Vernydar

Learned
I have added the above information about combat in the rules post at the start of the thread. Keep it in mind, it's rather important :)
This is what won:
Go kill the Centipede Overlords, since they're the biggest threat, and then assist Kalz's position if he's alive. He's the commander here, and he is the one who has the most experience in fighting and leading, hence the men will listen to him. If he's dead though, take out the enemies on the outlying parts of the camp, and surround the enemy, trapping them in a circle.

54 – Screeches and screams

You decide to attack the small group of enemies. If one of them is truly a tattooed man, maybe killing him would be beneficial against the centipedes. You think the risk is well worth the possible rewards. But there is no time to explain all this to the soldiers, so you just tell them that you think those are commanding officers of some sort, and that killing them would hurt the enemy's morale. You also tell them that you should try to avoid giving them much time to prepare, so you start to run towards them as silently as you can. You hope that the sound of the battle will cover your approach.

The plan is partly successful, you manage to be within ten meters of them without them noticing, Then the centipedes screech, and the enemies know you're here. They seem hesitant to engage, and two of them immediately cover for the third, while the centipedes stay still where they are. Your small group reaches them, and you try to be cautious as the battle begins, providing support without taking too many risks. You have no illusion of what would happen if you were to face off against a professional soldier.

The fight is violent, with you darting here and there, hoping to distract the enemies, maybe scoring a hit against an opportunity target. A centipede dies rather quickly, they are not all that dangerous if they are this size. The key is to avoid the poisonous bite, but it can be done. It's a completely different matter than the huge monster you saw back then. Considering the soldier facing off against the other centipedes, each one of the enemies is now facing two of you, so the odds are good. The third man stays behind, and now you are sure that he has tattoos on his face.

As you look at him you are gripped by a strange sensation though. He opens his mouth and starts screeching like the other man did a Qoor. An unnatural, horrible sound. You are looking at him while he does so, and suddenly you feel afraid.

Looking in his eyes, somehow you know. You know he's about to do something. You know you have to stop him. Everything else disappears from your mind, you know that if he completes whatever he's doing things will be very bad for you. Your instincts scream, you heart hammers in your chest. You have to stop him, you have to stop him NOW.

There is no time to think about consequences, you suddenly dart forward trying to stay low. The enemy facing off against you and the other soldier is taken by surprise and tries to kill you as you pass him, but he's out of balance and only manages to hit your left arm. You clench your teeth as pain shoots through you, but you are focused, determined. Another quick step and you're right before the tattooed man. You're only looking him in the eyes, nothing else exists right now. As your sword arm cuts through the air, your instincts are urging you to move faster, there is no time!

Your sword plunges into the chest of the man as you look him in the eyes. He dies instantly, and falls to the side. You stumble, as a cacophony of noises hits you, and find yourself on the ground, your head spinning. Your arm is bleeding badly, it seems a deep, rather large wound. You turn and look around you, trying to understand the source of all these screams and noises.

The centipedes all around the encampment are trashing, screeching, seemingly in agony. They seem to be completely unable to defend themselves, to move, to do anything. You see a merchant – a merchant! - killing one with a sword. Is it because the tattooed man is dead maybe? Equally surprising is the reaction of the enemy soldiers. They are screaming, seemingly enraged, and attacking wildly everything that comes into their range. They seem completely berserk, attacking with no regard for their own lives. Your soldiers are taken by surprise by this, but as soon as they recover they start using their superior numbers to overwhelm the enemies who now fight ignoring their defense. Your allies are thinning the enemy's ranks very quickly. But your head is spinning so much, the blood loss from your wound is rather heavy. Soon you know no more and fall into the darkness....

You wake to the sound of moving carts, and look around confused. Kalz is quickly by your side, asking you how you feel. Your arms hurts a lot, and you feel weak as a baby. But you want to know what happened, and so you ask Kalz, trying to keep the pain at bay.

Kalz tells you that the battle has been won, and praises you for the kill of the tattooed man. Apparently his death immediately shocked the centipedes, making them easy prey. The enemies were instead enraged by his death, so much that they went completely berserk. As soon as your soldiers recovered from the surprise, the enraged enemies were quickly dispatched. All in all, there were 19 enemies plus the tattooed man. And 11 centipedes, about as long as an arm. Luckily no huge centipede was with them. You lost six men, and another four are seriously injured. But considering the fact you were ambushed, the night attack and the surprise, Kalz thinks it was a very good result.

You slept for an entire day, as the caravan got ready once again, and people were treated by a merchant who knows a bit of healing. The corpses of the enemies were also inspected, but mostly left there. Someone else can come from Bitak later to search for more clues if they want, but right now Kalz wants to get to safety as soon as possible because some of the men require a professional healer. Your wound does not seem anything serious. It's rather big and deep, but it's not in a critical place so it should heal well.

Kalz tells you to rest if you feel the need, and to prepare for the report you will have to give. But if you want you can also try to do something.

What will you do in this couple of days, Kyoss?
  1. You should rest. You are tired, injured, and shaken. It's time to recover now, to rest, and to think about the report
  2. You are a healer, though not very good. But maybe you could help other people. As far as your energies allow, you should try to treat the injured men.
  3. You could always study. You are weak, but you can use the travel time to study some more.
  4. Other. Make a proposal, number it.
Also, should you tamper with your wound?
A) Yes, try to treat it
B) No, but take a look at it
C) No, leave it alone

That's it, not a bad result for a first serious combat experience.

Clotstein

Augur
B

Let's rest. This is a bookwormish 16 year old, not a hardened soldier. Between the pain and the taxing experience he just endured, it's not like Kyoss is in the best condition to do anything. The skillgrind can wait for a bit.

GreyViper

Prophet
B

Getting chain mail and a buckler is a must, they shouldn't weight that much. Also how good is our healing skill? I know one answer mentions, not very good, but that does not say much.

Vernydar

Learned
B

Getting chain mail and a buckler is a must, they shouldn't weight that much. Also how good is our healing skill? I know one answer mentions, not very good, but that does not say much.

First aid 2 (Basic)
The ability to treat unhealthy people. Works well on injuries, diseases, food poisoning.

The character sheet is your friend. Second post of the thread :P

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
3 if we feel we are burning out, im sure Kyoss can just put down the book and nap.
B

and about combat, if we raise one martial skill enough, would our general knowledge of fighting seep into our proficiencies with other skills? I imagine a good swordsman wouldnt be a terrible mace/axe man in a bind.

Vernydar

Learned
about combat, if we raise one martial skill enough, would our general knowledge of fighting seep into our proficiencies with other skills? I imagine a good swordsman wouldnt be a terrible mace/axe man in a bind.

To be honest, I had not thought of that. Weapons usage is generally diverse enough. I might think about it for "similar" weapon, like sword/two-handed sword. But I need to think about it.

One thing that does stay though are your attributes. As I said, using skills slowly raises attributes. So, training a lot in sword does slowly raise dexterity. Eventually, if an attribute gains a higher level (example, above average dexterity), the benefit would be for all weapons (and all skills) that use dexterity as their base attribute.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
2C, we should work with the merchant to practice our healing ability, and to check he's not intentionally poisoning people.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom