Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Codex Year of the Donut
So I’m finally playing this and so far the extreme drama surrounding it is puzzling to me

It’s pretty much Witcher 3 with a less interesting story and characters, bit worse C&C but better gameplay (mediocre shooting vs plain bad action RPG), right down to the point-of-interest filled map with shitty non-content

I guess since characters and worldbuilding is what made people love Twitcher 3 it kind of makes sense, but Cyberpunk does have some cool bits in that department as well. And really, Witcher 3’s main plot sucked as well, just its side content was great

All in all, it’s pretty weird that one game is goty for people while this one is hated (neither seem to deserve either title)
Yes, and Witcher 3 just had so much more of it.

Fair enough, but that’s still not reason for drama of this scale, is it?
I think the drama all came from the fact that the game didn't run very well on the old consoles. On a PC it was quite playable from the start and it was just a matter of taste whether you liked it or not...
drama came from the fact that you could have made 40 games with the budget of Witcher 2 using the budget of cyberpunk, and cp2077 is missing basic expected features
perfectly exemplifies everything wrong with the video game industry tbh

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So I’m finally playing this and so far the extreme drama surrounding it is puzzling to me

It’s pretty much Witcher 3 with a less interesting story and characters, bit worse C&C but better gameplay (mediocre shooting vs plain bad action RPG), right down to the point-of-interest filled map with shitty non-content

I guess since characters and worldbuilding is what made people love Twitcher 3 it kind of makes sense, but Cyberpunk does have some cool bits in that department as well. And really, Witcher 3’s main plot sucked as well, just its side content was great

All in all, it’s pretty weird that one game is goty for people while this one is hated (neither seem to deserve either title)
did you get out of the prologue yet?
it's the only good part of the game

I did, and it is quite a stark contrast, but not when compared to Witcher 3. I guess I'm still going to end up favoring Witcher 3 here by quite some margin because the side content in that game is so good, but the difference is less vast than it otherwise would be because gameplay in Cyberpunk is keeping me somewhat entertained whereas The Witcher 3 bored me to absolute tears

Quillon

Arcane

Expectations weren't CP to be the same as W3; with there being chargen and shit I expected less defined MC, more open narrative & more C&C etc, others were more disappointed for the lack of open world modern city game features that GTA had, not to mention the bugs. Getting "pretty much Witcher 3" but also worse in some ways after the insane hype they built up =

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Yes, and Witcher 3 just had so much more of it.

Fair enough, but that’s still not reason for drama of this scale, is it?
I think the drama all came from the fact that the game didn't run very well on the old consoles

I'm talking about Codex drama. Popamolers gonna popamole, they were mad the game was buggy (which new AAA release isn't a buggy mess) and didn't give them actual blowjobs

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Expectations weren't CP to be the same as W3; with there being chargen and shit I expected less defined MC, more open narrative & more C&C etc, others were more disappointed for the lack of open world modern city game features that GTA had, not to mention the bugs. Getting "pretty much Witcher 3" but also worse in some ways after the insane hype they built up =

If you expected anything other than something like Witcher 3 I'd have to call you an idiot, but then again it does explain why even codexers got mad if they honestly thought that. Kind of shameful though

EDIT: like, I certainly understand being disappointed by it being worse than the witcher 3, but if you ever thought this was going to be massively different in terms of structure, you were deluded and it's on you

Athena

Educated
urldmeE.png

Apparently you don't need to fix your game to regain the confidence of the gamers; a Netflix anime suffices.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I don't know. You tell me which you prefer. Here's a scene where David gets beat up by some bullies from school. One is in eng(english) other in jap(japanese):
Jap
I don't hate japanese version, but prefer english (and czech) one for sure. Japanese is too overemotional/overacted for me, but then again I get that impression with most an1me I watched in JP.

Tihskael

Learned
Cyberpunk is just as mediocre in many areas as the Witcher 3, but it never truly shines in a few areas as TW3 did. Apart from the gorgeous Night City, and great presentation, it does nothing else that can be considered memorable enough. TW3's writing, characters and world were a breath of fresh air in 2015, even though I now find it difficult to go back and play it as the cracks are way more visible now. Makes me wonder if CP2077 was released in 2015, would it receive better reviews or TW3 today would have a more mixed reception.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't know. You tell me which you prefer. Here's a scene where David gets beat up by some bullies from school. One is in eng(english) other in jap(japanese):
Jap

Eng

Why is English VA almost always so mediocre :negative:

Are the actors not recording together or something?

The English VA is 'okay' in my book, feels out of place sometimes with the animation. But the problem is with Jap VA, they don't use that Night City speak or barely use it.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
It's on 141,666 people's MAL lists and it's sitting at a 8.74 score and ranked #1382 in popularity. Ranked #40 by score. Thousands of people are seeding it on nyaa. It's doing just fine. It could be that Kojima actually likes it you know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom