Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BW continues to milk retards, buy gear for real $ in DA2

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Zeus said:
Xor said:
Yes. New maps and quests are content. Weapons are not content.

Since when--five minutes ago when you read Bioware was selling weapons?

Weapons are content. That was the crux of arguments against Mass Effect 2 -- Bioware messed with the inventory and dumbed down the game. Here, Bioware adds weapons, armor and accessories, and you complain that they're suddenly not content?

Can't have it both ways.

The loss of equippable weapons in ME2 was a loss of content, but not in the sense that each weapon removed slightly decreased the content of the game. The removal of the inventory system was the content that was lost.

Basically what I'm saying is that something has to have a meaningful impact or expand gameplay to count as content. For example, if I added a gun to Fallout that did slightly better damage than the 10mm pistol but was slightly more expensive, it wouldn't be content; there are already a great many weapons in the game and this one isn't really different. If I added the portal gun to Fallout, though, that would be content because there's nothing in the game remotely like that.

So if these new DA2 weapons do something special that no other weapons do, and I don't mean stat-wise, then they're new content and might be worth money. But I suspect they're basically just stat-sticks and have no purpose ingame aside from aesthetics.

Hell, one of the main arguments I've seen against Planescape: Torment is that -- like JRPGs -- each character had one class of weapons, thus dumbing down the gameplay and lessening the player's strategic decisions.

I don't think this is a problem with content; instead it's one of taste. People who like tactical combat and don't like reading dialog or storytelling the way PST does it will be disappointed in PST for exactly that reason. PST has plenty of other content to experience to make up for the lack of weapon selection.

Saios

Novice
Zeus said:
Xor said:
Yes. New maps and quests are content. Weapons are not content.

Since when--five minutes ago when you read Bioware was selling weapons?

Weapons are content. That was the crux of arguments against Mass Effect 2 -- Bioware messed with the inventory and dumbed down the game. Here, Bioware adds more weapons, armor and accessories, which you suddenly complain are not content?

Can't have it both ways.

While they are content, they are shitty content. Overlord was great DLC while any weapon pack was garbage. I would rather go to a new place instead of getting a new shiny.

waywardOne

Arcane
retextures and tweaked models isn't content. modders could duplicate this DLC in less than an hour and be more than happy to give it away.

dialogs, areas, quests, NPCs: that's content. the rest is decoration.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Crispy said:
Could we just call it "taking one for the team"?

I didn't think so. :(

I took one for the team when I pirated that shit, day one, and posted my impressions afterwards and told people in here about the derpness of DA2.

You bought the game and even admitted to enjoying it most of the time.

You encouraged people to give that game a try. Only later you changed your stance towards the game, but that was already too late. You corrupted our weakest and most naive members. We undoubtedly lost many Codexlings. One of them could've been our next messiah, our holy savior, our future Dark Dweller. Have you ever considered that? Have you, Crispy? No, of course you did not. You just had to fuck it all up as usual.

If anything, I took one for the team. I sacrificed my sanity and poisoned myself with the new shit because I knew I was strong enough to resist the taint. I warned people and saved lives. I'm a bloody hero, while you served as the Beacon of the Decline (and so you did many other times).

I like you, Crispy, I really do. But when you hide behind your moments of weakness to justify your evil deeds... that, that's when you cross the line. And I will. Not. Have. That.

Zeus

Cipher
Saios said:
While they are content, they are shitty content. Overlord was great DLC while any weapon pack was garbage. I would rather go
to a new place instead of getting a new shiny.

I agree with you. If they're going to break down expansion packs into their base elements, I'd much more likely pay for a new location over a new quest, weapon, enemy type... probably over anything but a new player character. (A new character would be handy throughout the entire game.)

Xor said:
Basically what I'm saying is that something has to have a meaningful impact or expand gameplay to count as content. For example, if I added a gun to Fallout that did slightly better damage than the 10mm pistol but was slightly more expensive, it wouldn't be content; there are already a great many weapons in the game and this one isn't really different. If I added the portal gun to Fallout, though, that would be content because there's nothing in the game remotely like that.

I'm trying to imagine you playing an RPG. You get to a new town, head to the shop, see that the new swords only give increased crit or damage -- rather than, like, teleportation or the ability to morph into a dragon -- and ignore them, because they aren't really new content.

"I'm not buying new equipment unless it can make blended drinks and translate dead languages!"

There's a big difference between an interesting weapon and an uninspired one. But that also goes for dungeons, quests, enemies, etc. If a new monster DLC adds a bunch of rats and spiders with bad AI, that'd be lame, but it doesn't mean new enemies aren't content. If Bioware released a DLC which adds five hours of missions to existing maps, but they're all badly written fetch quests, that'd be lame. But it doesn't mean quests aren't content. If a dungeon DLC was nothing but bland hallways, that'd be lame. But, again, it doesn't mean dungeons aren't content.

See where I'm going with this?

Content is content, anything that you put in a game is content. Even palette swap monsters.

Content, however (what Xor is thinking about), is stuff that gives the player a reason to bother with the DLC / expansion. But it's hard to define because what some people consider enough might not be enough for me. In this case, for example, the new weapons were enough for the Bio forumites, but not enough for the Codex.

/this post brought to you by Cpt. Obvious Incorporated

Zeus

Cipher
Yes, it's pretty obvious even to me -- a mere Lt. I just found all the cries of, "Weapons are cosmetic!" (Mortmal) and "Weapons aren't content!" (Xor) ridiculous.

There are people on the Codex who don't give a flying fornication about story--they skip past dialog boxes and read only the highlighted bit that tells them where to go next and what to kill. And there's nothing wrong with that; "quests" as we know them came relatively late to the CRPG. Oldschoolers will gladly tell you they did fine without them back in the day. But if one of them tried to tell me that quests aren't content, I'd have to argue with them.

It's the sweeping bash of weapons as content that got to me. I happen to like weapons, even ones that don't grant the ability to time travel and leave my teeth feeling minty fresh.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Clockwork Knight said:
Content is content, anything that you put in a game is content. Even palette swap monsters.

Content, however (what Xor is thinking about), is stuff that gives the player a reason to bother with the DLC / expansion. But it's hard to define because what some people consider enough might not be enough for me. In this case, for example, the new weapons were enough for the Bio forumites, but not enough for the Codex.

/this post brought to you by Cpt. Obvious Incorporated

This, mostly. It seems there are people out there who value purely cosmetic DLC, but I really think they'd get a bigger reaction if the DLC added actual content, as in something new and interesting, to the game. But that would involve actual work and they'd have to do more than fire up a spreadsheet editor and whip an intern until he came up with a model and texture for the new weapon.

Zeus

Cipher
Xor said:
This, mostly. It seems there are people out there who value purely cosmetic DLC

rpgc-princess-bride-think-it-means.jpg

This isn't a DLC pack of skins for existing weapons. They may be boring and overpriced, but they're not decorative, they're functional.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Zeus said:
Xor said:
This, mostly. It seems there are people out there who value purely cosmetic DLC

rpgc-princess-bride-think-it-means.jpg

This isn't a DLC pack of skins for existing weapons. They may be boring and overpriced, but they're not decorative, they're functional.

dorkspawn.gif

A lot of the buyers are probably only interested in the cosmetic effects, though. Just check out that Bioware thread and see how many people are asking how the items look without mentioning the stats, it's pretty clear what they're interested in.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Crispy said:
Codex, should I even think about buying Witcher 2 when it comes out? How the fuck am I going to know if it's going to snap me altogether? And then there's of course Skyrim. I want to believe, I want to believe, but what will I do with no new RPG's?

Fucking DA2. Fucking BioWare, assholes. Fucked my shit all up.

Black, you were right. I got suckered.

Skyrim won't be a RPG at all it's oficilal, but you can buy TWitcher 2 IF you liked the first the second one will be better more non lineral and with deeper C&C, only drawback is arcade looking fighting and lack of cards damned kwans with their puritan prudishness. :x
And man up a little use the mental pain to gain strenght for the future, it's not like I didn't waisted my money on shity games like expansion to RoT, Wel lthat was double plus ungood but I won't make myself a victim epecialy on Codex.

"Trust in yourself. Never doubt what you have done. All your decisions have brought you to this point."

Xor

Arcane
I know I didn't pay for the avatars. The people who did obviously valued them. I really don't understand why.

And the Codex needed the cash to keep the server up, anyway; it's not like Talutain has a gold hot tub with hookers and champagne in his back yard.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
" In this case, for example, the new weapons were enough for the Bio forumites, but not enough for the Codex. "

But,s ee the weapons DLC is nto even an issue here. the Codex dislikes DA2 so why ould any DA2 DLC interest in the Codex to begin with?

The audience for DA2 DLC is DA2 fans. As someone who likes DA2 I'm a potential cyustomer for DA2 DLC but no way no how am I spending money on this stuff.

Karmapowered

Augur
5$ for some horse armor textures ?

For 5$, you can get entire games elsewhere.

And I am meaning *great* games, that keep you entertained for years.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
But that texture does damage!
And it's got codex entries! LENGTHY ONES!

You have to blind to equate it to cosmetic changes. Get a grip, man!
It's a price of two cheetos packs. Get over it.

dorkspawn.gif

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Can't even imagine the shitstorm if Bioware decides to sell equipment packs on their MMO too.

Zeus

Cipher
Karmapowered said:
For 5$, you can get entire games elsewhere.

And I am meaning *great* games, that keep you entertained for years.

New games are a terrible deal. Dragon Age 2 is $60--the price of ten "*great* games that keep you entertained for years."

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
racofer said:
Crispy said:
Could we just call it "taking one for the team"?

I didn't think so. :(

I took one for the team when I pirated that shit, day one, and posted my impressions afterwards and told people in here about the derpness of DA2.

You bought the game and even admitted to enjoying it most of the time.

You encouraged people to give that game a try. Only later you changed your stance towards the game, but that was already too late. You corrupted our weakest and most naive members. We undoubtedly lost many Codexlings. One of them could've been our next messiah, our holy savior, our future Dark Dweller. Have you ever considered that? Have you, Crispy? No, of course you did not. You just had to fuck it all up as usual.

If anything, I took one for the team. I sacrificed my sanity and poisoned myself with the new shit because I knew I was strong enough to resist the taint. I warned people and saved lives. I'm a bloody hero, while you served as the Beacon of the Decline (and so you did many other times).

I like you, Crispy, I really do. But when you hide behind your moments of weakness to justify your evil deeds... that, that's when you cross the line. And I will. Not. Have. That.
This was so beautiful. This guy really died for our sins. :salute: :D

I think we did see this coming. The whole idea for stripping out several gameplay elements from DA2 was to sell those as a DLCs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom