Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Build Your Own Home and Adopt Children in Skyrim's New DLC Hearthfire

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That voice. That music. The content. Why do I feel like I'm being trolled?

Executer

Phrenologist
Project: Eternity
What I don't get. Ok, housing etc. Some people like to LARP. You build a home, like in morrowind. You have a place to fall back to, put loot etc. But what the fuck do you do with adopted virtual children and how will they incorporate that "feature" in a meaningful way? Why put it in at all? What purpose does it serve? I just don't get it.
You are not alone, bro. Not alone.

Perhaps you can get them to sweep chimineas and pick pockets to LARP Oliver Twist.

Edwin

Scholar
who cares,your home is only good as storage,it has no other function

since my dead body collection ambushed me after a patch(50 +-) I go there just when inv. is full

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The..... unlimited horrors the modding community will do with this, is scary.

Thankfully I don't play this shit game.

Kron

Arcane
I don't get why people like this "have a house, raise children, work like an idiot" stuff. Fucking BORING.
Aren't videogame adventures marketed at the opposite?
You know, travelling, wandering. Not staying put at a certain point.
I thought this is what these games were supposed to offer.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Never mind the fact that Gamebryo (and the modified one Skyrim uses) is a terrible engine to do stuff like this -- you're better off just playing The Sims.

Stinger

Arcane
I bet Chris Avellone is kicking himself now. His DLC would have sold a lot more if it had kids and houses in it instead of all that story-focused crap.

Someone needs to mod in Ulysses as an adoptable kid in Skyrim.

Unwanted

Mikko Moilanen

Unwanted
You got a house in DA2 faggame, now you have to get house in every faggame. Bethesda just profiteered more with DLC house. "GG".

4too

Arcane
'Our House' Sing Along!

Sim this for the DLC soundtrack!

CSN+Y said:
With two cats in the yard
Life used to be so hard
Now everything is easy
'Cause of you

Breathe in the Kool-Aide!

4too

I bet Chris Avellone is kicking himself now. His DLC would have sold a lot more if it had kids and houses in it instead of all that story-focused crap.

Someone needs to mod in Ulysses as an adoptable kid in Skyrim.

2671597.png
:lol:

What if you adopt children only to murder them in your dungeon? Would Social Services get wise to the interminable stream of adopted children disappearing from your estate? OMG the possibilities are endless! This is like Sims 3 but first-person fap fap fap fap fap fap fap
In b4 youtube video where someone breaks the DLC by bringing a giant and corrals it with all his adopted children and then you see them launching out for the moon, one after the other. Great DLC Bethesda, incredible meme generator. It's just like Andy Warhol said 50 years ago with his "famous" and "for 15 minutes". Bethesda will make even more money promoting this shitty meme, you have to admire their genius in trolling. "Hearthfire" (imagine "Hearthfire" being told by a great UK Shakesperean Royal Company actor who strives to pay for his garage: "Hearthfire: where your heart belongs: lost children, a province in turmoil, but forerever more: a home: Hearthfire") lol, I can hear it from here.

If they were not such huge hypocrits, their shitty DLC should at least include several "Find the Object" scenes just like in the casual games destined to wake the midwestern bored beautiful wymyn from their slumber.

Bethesda: "We cater to the morons who want to initiate a youtube meme lol and to the elder wymyn who slash/fic their way out of their boring life: Hearthfire".

Well, WTF, I was supposed to stay in the DESUDESU side of the RPGCodex but I couldn't: this was such an astounding DLC announcement that I couldn't pass on. It's almost as good as designing a RPG while being influenced by GTA and Sim City.

Unwanted

Mikko Moilanen

Unwanted
Now that I thought about it, you could get a cabin or even a castle in BG2. Did not hear people whining about it - rather much the opposite was true. The castle thingy was considered to be epic by some people who then lolled at the cabin the ranger could get. Obviously they did not have a clue about RPG. Sadly the games are made for them, the masses.

I wish that in next Bethesda game you will get a space station. Naturally as a dumb fucker milking DLC.

GaemzDood

Educated

Kahlis

Cipher
I'm not too impressed with the list, honestly. The listing and his descriptions seem more like somethng written by a 15 year old doing a high school paper on the history of computer games, citing all-too-classic examples of games iconic from the 80's and 90's than a genuinely personal thing. You can glean as much about these games from Todd's "personal" memories and experiences of them as you can from their Wikipedia articles. I know game designers just want to be yes-men and list all of the obligatory classics like Ultima and Baldur's Gate, but I'm still waiting for the day an AAA developer mentions Realms of Arkania. That would command far more respect from me than any of the predictable choices on Todd's list.

Maybe it's unrealistic to hold his gaming tastes to such high standards though, especially during a time when it was particularly hard to discover games by smaller developers. But Todd continues to do that even today! And the popular games aren't even good anymore!

GaemzDood

Educated
I'm not too impressed with the list, honestly. The listing and his descriptions seem more like somethng written by a 15 year old doing a high school paper on the history of computer games, citing all-too-classic examples of games iconic from the 80's and 90's than a genuinely personal thing. You can glean as much about these games from Todd's "personal" memories and experiences of them as you can from their Wikipedia articles. I know game designers just want to be yes-men and list all of the obligatory classics like Ultima and Baldur's Gate, but I'm still waiting for the day an AAA developer mentions Realms of Arkania. That would command far more respect from me than any of the predictable choices on Todd's list.

Maybe it's unrealistic to hold his gaming tastes to such high standards though, especially during a time when it was particularly hard to discover games by smaller developers. But Todd continues to do that even today! And the popular games aren't even good anymore!
Todd Howard would hate Realms of Arkania, there's no moles to pop. He just chose obvious examples just to *prove* that he likes games that don't involve mole popping.

I know game designers just want to be yes-men and list all of the obligatory classics like Ultima and Baldur's Gate

If he wanted cred, he'd probably mention games that his target public played, no?

master chief avatar said:
Goyoshi12
Posted Aug 31, 2010 2:55 pm PT

I have a question for 5,452 people. Who IS The Guardian?

gears of war avatar said:
rbdeal
Posted Aug 31, 2010 11:24 am PT

What the hell is Ultima?

my vote is for shao kahn for 3 reasons first e is like the lord of evil second i dont even know the other
freak and third I DONT KNOW IF HE IS A MEN OR A WOMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom