Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Build Your Own Home and Adopt Children in Skyrim's New DLC Hearthfire

GreyViper

Prophet
What can one say, there are few mods that do this in impressive ways. Maybe they want to show they can do better, honestly without seeing the content its to early to say if it sucks or rocks. Besides they can allays go back to selling horse armor and spell tome DLCs. Wonder if its inspired by Wasteland Settler mod?
Edit: Hahaha I take it all back, its for consoles because they cant have house building mods.:lol:

Kahlis

Cipher
Gee, I thought they said that they wanted to do meaningful content updates that would improve and expand upon the base gameplay mechanics? Yeah man, child adoption and a cheesy World of Warcraft vampire lord. That stuff should've been in from day one. It's integral to the RPG experience.

I don't think Todd understands that by labelling his video game as an "RPG", it's expected to ascribe to certain preconceived notions as to what the game should be about. But whatever, nevermind the whole character thing, playing Tamriel pest control is what we really wanted to do all along. Maybe the next DLC should add drag racing:

What can one say, there are few mods that do this in impressive ways. Maybe they want to show they can do better, honestly without seeing the content its to early to say if it sucks or rocks.
I think, assuming it mostly uses activators and some basic scripting like the Morrowind stronghold quests, the drafting workbench and other new menus could open up some opportunities for players to design more ambitious and polished construction mods. More likely however, we'll be getting "pinup posters to replace the taxidermy mounts and the ability to "adopt" every NPC in the game world to LARP being a polygamist.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
This isn't necessarily an awful idea, and I like the prospect of being able to build your own house/castle/whatever... if it has some sort of cool dynamic quest system associated with it, or a storylike (i.e. Crossroad Keep) then I might be interested, otherwise I'd really rather not spend $5 on some LARPing DLC.

Gee, I thought they said that they wanted to do meaningful content updates that would improve and expand upon the base gameplay mechanics? Yeah man, child adoption and a cheesy World of Warcraft vampire lord. That stuff should've been in from day one. It's integral to the RPG experience.
It's meaningful to Skyrim fans. Obviously you haven't checked the Nexus lately. :troll:

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
adopting children is a new low, i hate kids so much that i wouldnt even roleplay as a parent :X

Rhalle

Magister
Vampires and player housing DLCs. Christ.

Where the fuck is the DLC that actually continues the story and expands on the consequences of your choices in the civil war?

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
This is a weird and interesting idea. I'm not going to check it out but I don't see anything inherently wrong with it and I've played very good RPGs that do similar things. I think you should direct your Bethesda outrage towards things that actually deserve it like the shitty subway vampires from Fallout 3. Or that comic book super hero town from Fallout 3. Or that Little Rascals village of children from Fallout 3. Or Fallout 3!

Phelot

Arcane
Yeah, this is actually cool other than that it is simply LARP material and doesn't appear to have any actual need in game. It also sucks that it looks like you can only build predefined structures, not wall by wall.

As mentioned, Unreal World touches on some really cool ideas and I'd love to see more of this kind of thing.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
This is a weird and interesting idea. I'm not going to check it out but I don't see anything inherently wrong with it and I've played very good RPGs that do similar things. I think you should direct your Bethesda outrage towards things that actually deserve it like the shitty subway vampires from Fallout 3. Or that comic book super hero town from Fallout 3. Or that Little Rascals village of children from Fallout 3. Or Fallout 3!

Let me spell it out for you: It's a fucking DLC about gardening home improvement and child adoption. It is the undisputed so far new low, even though this was the worst year of game decline my brain can remember (Wilson, Black Isle, Diablo 3, DA 3 (Plot), ME 3, Bio player monetization, CDP decline). And you know what? It's from the fucking first page of news!

eric__s

ass hater
Developer

Let me spell it out for you: It's a fucking DLC about gardening home improvement and child adoption. It is the undisputed so far new low, even though this was the worst year of game decline my brain can remember (Wilson, Black Isle, Diablo 3, DA 3 (Plot), ME 3, Bio player monetization, CDP decline). And you know what? It's from the fucking first page of news!
You didn't really spell anything out to me. You just stated your opinion angrily. I don't know what THE BIG IDEA behind this DLC is, but it seems to me that it's pretty similar to owning that castle or druid grove in Baldur's Gate 2. Lots of games have a home base for the player and I can't think of a time where it's ever been a negative thing. This adds content (entire systems!), things to do beyond adventuring or killing monsters or doing quests or whatever and if it's done well then it can be pretty interesting.

If you want to be an ANGRY GAMER then there are lots of things to get angry about, but save it for something that's actually worth it.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just what this game needed. :roll: IMMERSHUN FTW.

Actually, the sad thing is, their community probably wants this.

So much for bethesda's promising "real" expansion packs for skyrim. First dawnguard, now this.

Can wait to see what they do with Fallout 4. :mhd:

Meh. Dawnguard was a Fallout3/NV style DLC. I don't have it yet so I can't speak to the quality. This shit though... the stench of Bioware is all over it.

What I don't get. Ok, housing etc. Some people like to LARP. You build a home, like in morrowind. You have a place to fall back to, put loot etc. But what the fuck do you do with adopted virtual children and how will they incorporate that "feature" in a meaningful way? Why put it in at all? What purpose does it serve? I just don't get it.

racofer

Thread Incliner
What I don't get. Ok, housing etc. Some people like to LARP. You build a home, like in morrowind. You have a place to fall back to, put loot etc. But what the fuck do you do with adopted virtual children and how will they incorporate that "feature" in a meaningful way? Why put it in at all? What purpose does it serve? I just don't get it.

1) Adopt kids.
2) Turn into a vampire lord.
3) Enjoy your cattle.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
You are not alone, bro. Not alone.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
8ActY.jpg

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
What if you adopt children only to murder them in your dungeon? Would Social Services get wise to the interminable stream of adopted children disappearing from your estate? OMG the possibilities are endless! This is like Sims 3 but first-person fap fap fap fap fap fap fap

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
1) Adopt kids.
2) Turn into a vampire lord.
3) Enjoy your cattle.
Good lord!

Just realized I want to have you in a P&P session.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom