Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bringing D&D/AD&D campaign settings to life with Stable Diffusion

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Cyberpunk artwork in the style of Syd Mead, Neil Blevins, Masamune Shirow, and Ron Cobb:

FvmcEk2.png
mY45Ncv.png

QrPVAqc.png
mfuDlmi.png

HjHsAxF.png
RYZDZo7.png

bo7ChJQ.png
HN4hl0G.png

yAmOCkL.png
XsMdZuS.png

IQkJ8bD.png
zVQNeIy.png

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
10Ow6SN.png

tF43Udp.png

Homages to Jim Holloway and Stephen Fabian
hollowaywildernesssurtpcyg.jpg
fabian-itheldownislanzjfmg.jpg

Adventurers arguing over directions, from The Wilderness Survival Guide (1986)
Itheldown Castle, from GAZ11 The Republic of Darokin (1989)

Alex

Arcane

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

I've just noticed the guy on the left is pointing with his middle finger, and the guy on the right in the background, God knows what's going on there - with both hands.

It's weird how AI still seems to be a bit baffled by hands. Eyes are getting better, but you still see a fair amoutn of googly eyes in AI art.

I wonder how much of the AI kerfuffle parallels the old kerfuffle around photography and the supposed redundancy of painting. If the AI isn't actually smart, then there's no real worry there, it's just another medium that artistic-minded people can use (after all they have to train and select, to get used to the medium's funny little ways, same as with photography).

So is the result going to be just more art, both mediocre and good quality? (Actually the result will probably be the devaluing of a certain kind of illustrative art.) I know there's a whole thread on this so I'll stop there.

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
it's just another medium that artistic-minded people can use (after all they have to train and select, to get used to the medium's funny little ways, same as with photography).

So is the result going to be just more art, both mediocre and good quality? (Actually the result will probably be the devaluing of a certain kind of illustrative art.) I know there's a whole thread on this so I'll stop there.

EDIT: Not to derail further, since there is another thread but, briefly...

Disagree completely. Art required a certain amount of skill and dedication to the craft. This was generally developed painstakingly over years of practice.

Now any midwit can simply dick around with prompts and once the AI gets good enough you are generating art on par with some of the greatest artists of all time. Yes, the hands and eyes are super creepy but the pace is quickening and it won't be long until the images are flawless. At that point, any scrub who can fumble his way through some prompts, trial & error, and sheer outright copypasta can create fairly compelling art.

For the fantasy genre, as an example, why hire the next Easley, Elmore, Brom, Caldwell, or Reynolds when I can simply reproduce work that is 95% their quality at a fraction of the cost & time?

If I were a freelance artist I'd be experiencing existential dread right about now. But that goes for many jobs. Coders, lawyers, anyone that uses MS-Word as their primary tool for making a living is in very serious danger in the next few years. You'd be foolish not to see this rapid progression at this point.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've just noticed the guy on the left is pointing with his middle finger, and the guy on the right in the background, God knows what's going on there - with both hands.

It's weird how AI still seems to be a bit baffled by hands.

I didn't notice until you pointed it out, but I should have looked. AI hands are the stuff of nightmares.

Bruuce

Literate
Making art for an Edgy Cyberpunk World: Part 1: Random Dudes
I like having unique tokens for all my NPCs, to a level where it adversely affects my life.
Enter Art AI, no longer will I have to trudge through art sites and token packs full of clashing art, finally I can have proper art for everything!
I had a certain gritty comic book-like look in mind and ended up getting close enough,

c9pvpti.png

Ae6QRgo.png

The following was made with Midjourney v5, which I only got to play with for the day or so when they re-opened trials.
ZTOZFLd.jpg

q9tZmt4.jpg

I got good result by using a vidya screenshot and "comic art by moebius" as part of the prompt.

Then midjouney killed all the free trials so, because the poorness that dissuades me from paying for the midjourney sub prevents me from getting a good grafix card, I went to try stable diffusion, finding a tolerable free site (which is also paid only now)

Comic Art by Moebius worked here too and gave me some good stuff.

jBLHv74.jpg

NjAqVIv.jpg

6DWboK4.jpg

UzKhMt1.jpg
EJeGhwL.jpg

XuClJbq.jpg

vOKwsrB.jpg

JWBGK4A.jpg

j0GZfnO.jpg

sucBJk4.jpg

bSM4lPp.jpg

Had to switch image hosts because imgur HATES women
gritty-looking-post-cyberpunk-dirty-renegade-cop-woman-with-short-hai-R-flat-chest-wearing-dirty-a.jpg

gritty-looking-post-cyberpunk-dirty-renegade-cop-woman-with-short-hai-R-flat-chest-wearing-dirty-a.jpg

cyberpunk-raincoat-man-2.jpg

scummy-looking-post-apocalypse-dirty-renegade-homeless-man-wearing-dirty-and-grimy-rags-rainy-meg.jpg

skinnyfat-man-as-a-cyberpunk-gangster-with-suspicious-expression-dark-raincoat-comic-art-by-Moebi.png

skinnyfat-man-as-a-cyberpunk-gangster-with-suspicious-expression-dark-raincoat-comic-art-by-Moebi.jpg

skinnyfat-man-as-a-cyberpunk-gangster-with-suspicious-expression-dark-raincoat-comic-art-by-Moebi.png

I also made some wasteland mutants, using both the site and using my own computer but didn't get anything of worth.

I did some more basic prompt experiments and it is pretty good at giving you a consistent style based on prompts like "art by Carlos Ezquerra" next to "cyberpunk mall cop" even if the result is only vaguely similar to the artists' actual style and only subtly different from the other artist prompts.

vKkKcCh.jpg

"cyberpunk mall cop, drawn by Simon Bisley"
5aMwNsc.jpg

"cyberpunk mall cop, drawn by Liam Sharp"
Zm2yCFy.jpg

"cyberpunk mall cop, drawn by Brain Bolland"
TF7RsbY.jpg

"Cyberpunk mall cop, art by Pat Mills"
I6zNs59.jpg

Prayin' that this loads properly.

Caim

Arcane
As it turns out Mr Clean's first name is Veritably, which makes him sound like a Discworld character.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom