Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bringing D&D/AD&D campaign settings to life with Stable Diffusion

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I've been messing around with the Stable Diffusion graphics-generating software, and among other things I experimented with creating portraits of characters from the D&D Known World / Mystara gazetteers from their written descriptions. For GAZ1: The Grand Duchy of Karameikos, I first created portraits based on the artwork of William-Adolphe Bougeureau and a few similar painters, but then also created alternative portraits using the Mucha/Rutkowski/Artgerm combination that seems to be popular:

Duke Stefan Karameikos:
BPkWiTF.png
H86hVri.png

Duchess Olivia Karameikos:
7gwA1RN.png
kl9ZaaI.png

Adriana Karameikos:
wDwSyqg.png
OMoHCvD.png

Also from the same batch of five images as the latter portrait:
qIsKXkT.png
jzgoXlI.png

Alya Flameflicker:
v7dG8VV.png
PwFYbkt.png

Anton Radu:
oIzNNj6.png
XK3Bu6b.png

Aleena Halaran:
PCMu1VA.png
qLtQfLy.png

Bargle the Infamous:
DWF9KHJ.png
N2455G9.png

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
For GAZ2 The Emirates of Ylaruam, I used a few Orientalist artists, plus Orientalist art more generally, as prompts. This gazetteer did not include a section on notable characters, and few were mentioned in the gazetteer, so I just tried for a handful of setting-appropriate images:

Warrior (supposed to be wearing a hood and wielding a scimitar):
LwIGYkE.png

Belly dancer:
7Hve3JC.png
4M47BNA.png

The Prophet Al-Kalim:
ixdYfxF.png

Female warrior in gray robes:
mWYTNlG.png

Female warrior without mentioning clothing:
ynFdc8a.png

Camel traders:
GbIRgDU.png

Intended as a merchant:
Xt6F0f0.png

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Fuck's sake, the rate at which this is accelerating most of the digital artists/concept artists/so on will be begging on the streets in like, what, 2 to 3 years.

FriendlyMerchant

I've been messing around with the Stable Diffusion graphics-generating software, and among other things I experimented with creating portraits of characters from the D&D Known World / Mystara gazetteers from their written descriptions. For GAZ1: The Grand Duchy of Karameikos, I first created portraits based on the artwork of William-Adolphe Bougeureau and a few similar painters, but then also created alternative portraits using the Mucha/Rutkowski/Artgerm combination that seems to be popular:

Duke Stefan Karameikos:
BPkWiTF.png
H86hVri.png

Duchess Olivia Karameikos:
7gwA1RN.png
kl9ZaaI.png

Adriana Karameikos:
wDwSyqg.png
OMoHCvD.png

Also from the same batch of five images as the latter portrait:
qIsKXkT.png
jzgoXlI.png

Alya Flameflicker:
v7dG8VV.png
PwFYbkt.png

Anton Radu:
oIzNNj6.png
XK3Bu6b.png

Aleena Halaran:
PCMu1VA.png
qLtQfLy.png

Bargle the Infamous:
DWF9KHJ.png
N2455G9.png
Left = Soul
Right = Soulless

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
For GAZ3: The Principalities of Glantri, since Glantri City is inspired by Venice, I decided to use the style of several Venetian artists from the early-modern era (though not tightly bound in time or style). This gazetteer contains a section detailing the various families ruling the principalities, but I confined myself to the leaders:

Volospin Aendyr:
q4plyyC.png

Etienne d'Ambreville:
XMVXGh3.png

Carnelia de Belcadiz
D5nAUZX.png

Jaggar von Drachenfels
EPDame8.png

Carlotina of Erewan
YD5No7u.png

Morphail Gorevitch-Woszlany (vampire)
yGDzQ4j.png

Innocenti di Malapietra
2CDrVza.png

Brannart McGregor (lich)
iqHrCmu.png

Jherek Virayana (Ethengarian, hence Mongolian in appearance)
ZrcCamR.png

Vanserie Vlaardoen
aNE44Om.png

orcinator

Liturgist
For GAZ2 The Emirates of Ylaruam, I used a few Orientalist artists, plus Orientalist art more generally, as prompts. This gazetteer did not include a section on notable characters, and few were mentioned in the gazetteer, so I just tried for a handful of setting-appropriate images:

Warrior (supposed to be wearing a hood and wielding a scimitar):
LwIGYkE.png

Belly dancer:
7Hve3JC.png
4M47BNA.png

The Prophet Al-Kalim:
ixdYfxF.png

Female warrior in gray robes:
mWYTNlG.png

Female warrior without mentioning clothing:
ynFdc8a.png

Camel traders:
GbIRgDU.png

Intended as a merchant:
Xt6F0f0.png
Tits! Thought those would get censored like those monster with a "drawn by he giger" description I've been making, unless that's something they implemented recently.
What are the actual prompts for each one? I've been having trouble getting anything good out of the robots. Also do you use something specific for upscaling(which I need for background images)?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Tits! Thought those would get censored like those monster with a "drawn by he giger" description I've been making, unless that's something they implemented recently.
What are the actual prompts for each one? I've been having trouble getting anything good out of the robots. Also do you use something specific for upscaling(which I need for background images)?
The NSFW filter seems dysfunctional, as it was blocking a number of images that had no reason to be NSFW while allowing some nudity through, but it wasn't too long before I edited out the filter.

Some examples for prompts:
Duke Stefan Karameikos, monarch, royalty, fiery red hair flecked with gray, fiery red beard flecked with gray, sea-blue eyes, gruff, candid, uncompromising, William-Adolphe Bouguereau, Edmund Leighton, Frank Dicksee, John William Waterhouse
Duchess Olivia Karameikos, a slender and graceful woman, middle-aged, dark brown hair, icy blue eyes, patrician beauty, royalty, perfect manners, unshakeable composure, art by Artgerm and Greg Rutkowski and Alphonse Mucha
warrior, scimitar, from the Emirates of Ylaruam, swarthy, black hood, red pants, D&D, fantasy, artstation, Jean-Léon Gérôme, Eugene Delacroix, Edwin Lord Weeks, orientalism, orientalist
merchant, from the Emirates of Ylaruam, middle-aged, thin black beard, camels, Robert George Talbot Kelly, John Frederick Lewis, Edwin Lord Weeks, orientalism, orientalist
Prince Innocenti di Malapietra, wizard, curly hair, goatee, fat, oily, paranoid, ruthless, Italian, fantasy, D&D, artstation, Titian, Veronese, Tintoretto, Tiepolo, Canaletto, Bellotto

GAZ4 The Kingdom of Ierendi is similar to GAZ2 in lacking a section on notable personages, but unlike Ylaruam there isn't much of an identity for Ierendi, so I just created three portraits based on Artgerm/Rutkowski/Mucha:

King Palfrit:
PwjPL9T.png

Queen Marianne:
g6GgfqV.png

Wert, a boy who collects seaweed:
IR7Bx93.png

Since these were the only three portraits I created for GAZ4, here are another six I created for Leranda from GAZ3, "a young lady steps into the room, a good-looking brunette with large blue eyes and a form-fitting robe":
DD%20GAZ3%20Leranda.png

NdkQKba.png
Y587V8V.png
TqX8TG7.png

1cSElo8.png
yOmnwwY.png
OO4oK5J.png

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
the eyes still aren't right
You can correct them somewhat with masking (difficult) or with GFPGAN.

Before:

After:
OdHDRNe.png

It doesn't work on every art style, and there are tradeoffs, like smoothing the face.

You can also combine GPFGAN with Photoshop by doing an ok job at editing the eyes, and then having GPFGAN normalize it.

Stable Diffusion is also still working on their model and others are training models based on it, so there's a chance we will see improvements soon.

Last edited:

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Was there a guide you followed to get a local version of Stable Diffusion running?

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Was there a guide you followed to get a local version of Stable Diffusion running?
There are also a couple of prepacks out there if you search for them.

https://mega.nz/file/bxYAlbLA#Qe2dffkISm3Zvozh4JMP3hwTCAHSif08tQYBjWBJY_E
This one is done by the guy who did KoboldAI. Just unzip the SD folder to your C drive and run it.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
You can find various guides online, but the basic steps:
  1. Download Stable Diffusion and extract to your drive --- note the README file contains useful information
  2. Download the latest Checkpoint data for Stable Diffusion (requires an email address, even if a fake one) and save it as [drive\mainfolder\]stable-diffusion-main\models\ldm\stable-diffusion-v1\model.ckpt
  3. Download and install Miniconda (I first tried with Anaconda, but this caused problems)
  4. Download and install the latest version of Python, if you don't already have it
  5. Open a command prompt in Miniconda, change directory to [drive\mainfolder\]stable-diffusion-main, and then enter the statement conda env create -f environment.yaml (this should be necessary just once)
  6. At this point, any time you want to run Stable Diffusion, you can just
    1. Open a Miniconda command prompt
    2. Change directory to [drive\mainfolder\]stable-diffusion-main
    3. Enter the statement conda activate ldm
    4. Start running your art generation commands, such as python scripts/txt2img.py --prompt "Duke Stefan Karameikos, monarch, royalty, fiery red hair flecked with gray, fiery red beard flecked with gray, sea-blue eyes, gruff, candid, uncompromising, William-Adolphe Bouguereau, Edmund Leighton, Frank Dicksee, John William Waterhouse" --plms --n_iter 5 --n_samples 1
    5. Note you can change the seed number by adding --seed #, where # is whatever number you want to enter
    6. Output appears in [drive\mainfolder\]stable-diffusion-main\outputs\txt2img-samples\samples; also, a single image containing all five images created from a seed appears in the folder above that

For GAZ5 The Elves of Alfheim, I continued using the Mucha/Rutkowski/Artgerm combination; although it should be possible to generate elves and dwarves in a specific artistic style, it would be more difficult. There is a section on notable personalities, which includes notes on appearance and personality, and I also requested a forest background in the prompts:

King Doriath Erendyl:
JhY8dd0.png

Brendian Erendyl:
LZJDTUq.png

Lynnwyl Chossum:
XYzoWba.png

Dyradyl Feadiel:
GpCE7hK.png

Arloen Treelife of the Grunalf Clan:
BKGf9AV.png

Durifern Widefarer of the Grunalf Clan:
VRd9AGE.png

Beasthunter of the Longrunner Clan:
iIKlOSP.png

Coolhands of the Longrunner Clan (my favorite of the GAZ5 portraits)
CVe7uEN.png

Mealidan Mealidil:
sqGq1Az.png

Redsword Truetalker of the Red Arrow Clan:
JzxqfFM.png

Brightsword of the Red Arrow Clan:
QUcr2SH.png

Shurengyla is a stereotypical blonde elf-maiden, so a few of her better portraits could be used to represent different elf-women:
2guHSyL.png
JVO4NZ0.png

oV3FOGc.png
4ULYmhJ.png

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I'll return to specific art styles with GAZ7 The Northern Reaches, but first comes GAZ6 The Dwarves of Rockhome. As with Alfheim, I relied on the Mucha/Rutkowski/Artgerm combination, now with a mountain or underground background.

King Everast XV
BfJqJIQ.png

Bofin Everast (son of the king)
xr6kvGL.png

Noris Everast (elder daughter of the king)
8u1Nrol.png

Duris Everast (younger daughter of the king)
0r8a7yv.png

Dorto, head of the Buhrodar clan
0P8mXlY.png

Thoric Redhand, son of Dorto
eO8bgfi.png

Duric, head of the Hurwarf clan
OSFsuzf.png

Thrais, head of the Skarrad clan
4vxrQo5.png

Dwalur, head of the Syrklist clan
pLeoMVi.png

Korin, head of the Torkrest clan
MKHUD50.png

Balin, son of Korin
ex1LiW1.png

Belfin Elf-Friend, head of the Wyrwarf clan
We1XvPI.png

Gilia Songsmith, wife of Belfin
DYvifUo.png

Morur Blackheart
iVy3daG.png

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Should include the descriptions the illustration is based on.
Some of the gazetteer PDFs are only images, not text, and the more verbose descriptions of characters are lengthier than most people would want to read, anyway. For Stable Diffusion prompts, I extracted the pertinent facts about their appearance and added some personality descriptors gleaned from the text. I encourage anyone interested in these characters to read the original work.

For GAZ7 The Northern Reaches, I returned to a particular style, with the pre-Raphaelite artists Dante Gabriel Rossetti, Edward Burne-Jones, Evelyn De Morgan, and Walter Crane. Unfortunately, this gazetteer, as with Ken Rolston's previous work about Ylaruam, does not contain a full section on notable personages, but it does include a few pages about the court of Ostland (though details about appearance are rather lacking):

Hord Dark-Eye the High King of Ostland, middle-aged, violent, and impatient:
oPcSY2g.png

Yrsa the Young, Queen of Ostland, a strong-willed presence with blonde braids:
eQ45XUL.png

Asgrim the Bowed, a dogmatic, unforgiving cleric (should also have a hunchback):
FwwcC7Q.png

Since the fully pre-Raphaelite style seemed more difficult to work with and perhaps wasn't appropriate for the Northern Reaches, I created some generic vikings and valkyries in the style of Konstantin Vasilyev, N.C. Wyeth, and Justin Sweet:
Aahfv2N.png
1TrQzoh.png
ZyRGjnw.png

60dqjnt.png
jF3sgNp.png
Q5iYbSE.png

Bonus pre-Raphaelite image that didn't look like Yrsa but could easily be used another character:
pMF15xc.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom