Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Silva

Arcane
Good point comparing it to Duke's Archives. I also disliked that due to the staircase gimmicks.

Silva

Arcane
Ended up finding AMYGDALA ARM and falling in love with smashing things into pulp. Fuck the Pick, I'm going STR-Quali now.

:yeah:

My new, projected stat spread for lv 125:

VIT 40
END 25
STR 50
SKL 30
BLT 10
ARC 20

This gives me some interesting STR-Quali-Arc options like:
- LHB
- Amy Arm
- Pizza Cutter
- Log Wheel
- Moonlight Sword

Damn, I'm even considering picking the Madman prospector garb to depict my Tomb Prospector fall into insanity. MWA HA HA HA!

Silva

Arcane
Huh, heavy weapons are always easy mode like this? That god's finger (I refuse to call it "Amygdala Arm" when this is clearly a finger) makes pancakes of bosses. I just offed Lady Maria by mindless clickin R1 while looking at my phone screen.

This is something Souls games should rework, giving heavy weapons real weaknesses. Right now it's easy mode while Dex/quick/no-poise breaking weapons are hard mode.

How does Nioh do it?

Last edited:

D_X

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
How does Nioh do it?
I take it you didn't play Nioh. You should really give it a try. While the first game is also great, tbh I would recommend starting with the 2nd as it has better level design and is less grindy compared to the first one, tho I think the first game had better boss fights and fewer annoying enemies.

As to your actual question, there isn't really a straightforward answer. Nioh is not a souls-like game. There are some similar aspects like resurrecting at a fixed point after you get whacked and the world resetting, but that's pretty much where it ends.

In terms of weapons, picking the odachi (what the souls game would classify as a heavy weapon) as your starter does make the first run of the game somewhat easier on the first difficutly level when you don't have gear and are just unlocking skills and especially if you're new to the game, otherwise the sheer number of options available during combat such as ki pulse(stamina recovery), stances (different attacks and skills depending if you're in low, mid or high stance), weapon skills, ninjutsu and magic powers which don't requrie absolute investment to see benefint from them, living weapon/yokai powers (nioh1/nioh2) combined with gear boosts as you go through the ng+ cycles (and you really should, as that's what the game is actually about) which also unlock several types of builds (hp regeneration build for example) make the comparisson between the games pointless.

If you ask me, Nioh combat destroys anything found in the souls games, even Elden Ring which is just too little, to late considering the direction the series took starting with DS3 to focus on combat, and more specifically boss battles with spastic non stop attacking opponents, compared to the focus on intricate and challenging level design of DeS, DS1&2 and BB.

cruel

Cipher
Silva - seeing your taste in games, you should definitely play both Nioh games. The first one suffers a little bit due to low enemy variety and not so exciting level design, but is still worth playing, mostly due to excellent combat system. Playing in light armor is a hidden hard mode, if you're looking for a challenge.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Nioh is definitely a souls game. It's just souls 2.0. It's a lot like Lies of P and I think both are worth trying if you're in the mood for souls games. The Surge is also pretty solid but feels very indie in it's scope. Mortal Shell is also worth looking into.

Huh, heavy weapons are always easy mode like this? That god's finger (I refuse to call it "Amygdala Arm" when this is clearly a finger) makes pancakes of bosses. I just offed Lady Maria by mindless clickin R1 while looking at my cel screen.

This is something Souls games should rework, giving heavy weapons real weaknesses. Right now it's easy mode while Dex/quick/no-poise breaking weapons are hard mode.

How does Nioh do it?
Magic is easy mode in souls but heavy weapons are usually easier than light ones. They scale so much better with limited attack windows than smaller weapons do. But there's always a way to break most weapons to do insane damage so it's irrelevant. Use what you enjoy.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Nioh is definitely a souls game
Tell me you haven't played nioh without telling me you haven't played nioh.
It has souls combat with a reloading stamina system and multiple weapon stances. It feels like Dark souls to play and the bosses feel very soulsish too.

Are you going to argue it's not a souls like because you have a dash instead of a roll or some stupid shit? I played Nioh for a couple of hours and quit because I wasn't in the mood for a souls game and that's what I was playing.

D_X

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I played Nioh for a couple of hours and quit because I wasn't in the mood for a souls game and that's what I was playing.
Thanks for proving my point.
Is 5 hours not enough to know how a game plays? Nioh's combat is exactly like Souls with extra steps. Which is why it gets brought up to people wanting more Souls games.
In Nioh's case, no it ain't. Also the couple of hours you first mentioned != 5 hours you mentioned now. By the 5th post your hours will have increased to 200 I reckon. Given the skill level you shown in this thread, those 2/5 hours mean you got filtered by the house in Nioh's first level and, given your unusual obsession with BB's ogres, got filtered by the Cleric Beast, respectively. So pretty much, you're talking out your ass about games you didn't even play.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
I played Nioh for a couple of hours and quit because I wasn't in the mood for a souls game and that's what I was playing.
Thanks for proving my point.
Is 5 hours not enough to know how a game plays? Nioh's combat is exactly like Souls with extra steps. Which is why it gets brought up to people wanting more Souls games.
In Nioh's case, no it ain't. Also the couple of hours you first mentioned != 5 hours you mentioned now. By the 5th post your hours will have increased to 200 I reckon. Given the skill level you shown in this thread, those 2/5 hours mean you got filtered by the house in Nioh's first level and, given your unusual obsession with BB's ogres, got filtered by the Cleric Beast, respectively. So pretty much, you're talking out your ass about games you didn't even play.
A couple would include 5. Please be my guest and tell me how the combat isn't souls like so we can all laugh at you denying the obvious.

You have this weird idea that finding a games mechanics broken is some how the same as being unable to beat it. I was contemplating doing a SL1 Bloodborne run soon to say I've done the full set of From's souls like.

D_X

Arcane
Patron
Please be my guest and tell me how the combat isn't souls like so we can all laugh at you denying the obvious.
Literally did so a few posts above. Of course I wouldn't expect you to be arsed to actually read anything other than your own opinion.
You have this weird idea that finding a games mechanics broken is some how the same as being unable to beat it.
You have this weird idea that not being able to comprehend a game's mechanics means they are broken.
I was contemplating doing a SL1 Bloodborne run soon to say I've done the full set of From's souls like.
And I was contemplating of fucking Baywatch era Pamela Anderson. Between these two, I think I have the higher chance of getting my wish. Especially since the minimal starting level for Bloodborne is 4. I get now you didn't even boot the game, but apparently you can't even read the wiki right.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Oh no, I've been found out! I haven't booted up the game because I don't pay attention to starting class levels and used the generic term for "lowest level character beating the game without leveling up". Please don't tell any one Elden Ring doesn't use souls and I said SL1 for that too! All my gamer cred will be GONE!

I swear the fucking autism of souls kiddies is off the charts. Claiming you didn't beat a shit game because you don't actually care about starting levels in a game you played over a year ago and one before at release. It's these people that utterly ruined the Demon's souls community. It happened once PC got Dark souls. It went from a fun small community of people exploring a game together to "git gud" and "u din bet duh game" bullshit. It's pretty pathetic how desperate they are for validation where they will argue the most inane technicalities and bullshit because they can't possibly entertain that From games are pure fucking jank and get by based on visual design more than their mechanics. Doesn't even make them bad games, they're much better than the sum of their parts but the fanbase are too autistic to understand even basic game design issues they have.

Silva

Arcane
Okay, I'm putting Nioh 2 on my wshlist.

I'm almost finished with my Madman of the tombs run here (Amy's arm = *chef's kiss*). Going full Elden Ring now. Hopefully a Nioh 2 sale comes up by the end of that.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Majestic!
GE36IbbagAAq4MH

Ezekiel

Arcane
It seems Bloodborne PC and PS5 remaster are dead after all:

https://www.thegamer.com/bloodborne-was-in-development-pc-ps5-at-one-point/

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk
I'm guessing they would have to work with Japanese designers for a remaster/port (or would need interpreters), since that team knows how the engine and everything works, and they won't do that anymore after killing their whole Japanese division off. Could contract FromSoftware to do all of it, I suppose, but FromSoftware doesn't look back, probably not interested.

I'd like also Gravity Rush Remastered and The Last Guardian from that generation ported, but expect NOTHING.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom