Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
I would just like to say Bloodborne is unacceptable garbage. It should have been delayed until they could get a stable frame rate. 30 FPS that drops regularly to 20 or lower is unacceptable.

And fuck farming blood vials if you struggle with 1 boss and end up running out.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I would just like to say Bloodborne is unacceptable garbage. It should have been delayed until they could get a stable frame rate. 30 FPS that drops regularly to 20 or lower is unacceptable.

And fuck farming blood vials if you struggle with 1 boss and end up running out.
Both will be fixed when it comes to PC, which will be soon I'm told.

Egosphere

Arcane
Visiting family over the holidays has given me access to a PS5 and consequently the chance to finally try Bloodborne. So far I love the level design of Central Yharnam, but the game feels disappointingly easy so far. I easily beat Cleric and Gascoigne first try and I felt like I played terribly each time, but the rally system and a seemingly endless supply of blood vials still made them trivial. Sure it's just the first couple of bosses and it might get significantly harder from here, but I looked up Father Gascoigne after beating him as I was curious about the lore around him and apparently he's considered one of the harder bosses which concerns me. I think I've only died twice so far; once to the gank wolves on the bridge where one hit me with a grab attack and ate my entire health bar and once due to mistaking the bullet stagger for a successful parry and getting comboed into a corner by a large huntsman when I went in for what I thought was a riposte.

Maybe all the Elden Ring hours have made an impact, but I've also recently gone back to DS1 and had to fight the Bell Gargoyles at least half a dozen times.

Yes, time spent in DS translates well into BB. When I first played BB back in 2015 or so, I could barely reach cleric beast, let alone beat him. Only got time to return to the game in 2022 and wrapped up both Cleric and Gascoigne in about ~2 attempts for each. Although I think fighting Djura, an NPC, 'fairly' is considerably harder than Gascoigne.
Off the top of my head I don't remember any fight in BB being excruciatingly hard. Daughter of the Cosmos was quite difficult, due to the hitboxes on her rush attack. But overall it was all quite doable. Challenges can be found in the DLC and in the chalice dungeons, if you're willing to sink a couple of dozen hours into grinding away to reach them.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Dark souls was on the ps3/360. Bloodbornes on the PS4. And it's the 4th game in the series, co developed with the 5th. They had years and better technology to fix the frame rate issues and didn't. "Dark souls was like that" is not an excuse when you became one of the best selling franchises in gaming and did nothing to improve the quality with the resources it got you.

Silva

Arcane
Visiting family over the holidays has given me access to a PS5 and consequently the chance to finally try Bloodborne. So far I love the level design of Central Yharnam, but the game feels disappointingly easy so far. I easily beat Cleric and Gascoigne first try and I felt like I played terribly each time, but the rally system and a seemingly endless supply of blood vials still made them trivial. Sure it's just the first couple of bosses and it might get significantly harder from here, but I looked up Father Gascoigne after beating him as I was curious about the lore around him and apparently he's considered one of the harder bosses which concerns me. I think I've only died twice so far; once to the gank wolves on the bridge where one hit me with a grab attack and ate my entire health bar and once due to mistaking the bullet stagger for a successful parry and getting comboed into a corner by a large huntsman when I went in for what I thought was a riposte.

Maybe all the Elden Ring hours have made an impact, but I've also recently gone back to DS1 and had to fight the Bell Gargoyles at least half a dozen times.

Yes, time spent in DS translates well into BB. When I first played BB back in 2015 or so, I could barely reach cleric beast, let alone beat him. Only got time to return to the game in 2022 and wrapped up both Cleric and Gascoigne in about ~2 attempts for each. Although I think fighting Djura, an NPC, 'fairly' is considerably harder than Gascoigne.
Off the top of my head I don't remember any fight in BB being excruciatingly hard. Daughter of the Cosmos was quite difficult, due to the hitboxes on her rush attack. But overall it was all quite doable. Challenges can be found in the DLC and in the chalice dungeons, if you're willing to sink a couple of dozen hours into grinding away to reach them.
This. Specially time spent with newer, faster paced entries like DS3 and Elden Ring.

The difference being, the ratio of quality combat in BB is still higher than those, as it makes you mind your weapon moveset and bosses attacks, with no easy "ashes of war" solution. Ludwig, Orphan, Flailing Beast, Logarius, Djura, Crow of Cainhurst, Yharnam Shadows, Pthumerian Granny and Doggy, Fatsos, etc are pretty challenging and fun fights.

Also, the Chikage and Pizza Cutter. If you don't get addicted to their "chink-chink" transformation sounds you have bad taste in life.

Latelistener

Arcane
From Software is either holding the rights to the Bloodborne IP, or the source code. Otherwise, Sony would've ported it already.

The reality is that, they most likely don't want to work with Sony anymore. Otherwise, Sekiro would've been another Sony exclusive.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
From Software is either holding the rights to the Bloodborne IP, or the source code. Otherwise, Sony would've ported it already.

The reality is that, they most likely don't want to work with Sony anymore. Otherwise, Sekiro would've been another Sony exclusive.
Or they have Blue point working on a remaster for the PS6 to draw interest in the way Demon's souls did.

Dark souls was a turning point for Japanese PC development. It really opened their eyes to huge big a market you can get from even bad PC ports. Sony must have spent a lot on bloodborne.

Egosphere

Arcane

This. Specially time spent with newer, faster paced entries like DS3 and Elden Ring.

The difference being, the ratio of quality combat in BB is still higher than those, as it makes you mind your weapon moveset and bosses attacks, with no easy "ashes of war" solution. Ludwig, Orphan, Flailing Beast, Logarius, Djura, Crow of Cainhurst, Yharnam Shadows, Pthumerian Granny and Doggy, Fatsos, etc are pretty challenging and fun fights.

Also, the Chikage and Pizza Cutter. If you don't get addicted to their "chink-chink" transformation sounds you have bad taste in life.

Forgot about Crow of Cainhurst. Ridiculously tough fight. One of the hardest in the series.

Egosphere

Arcane
Dark souls was on the ps3/360. Bloodbornes on the PS4. And it's the 4th game in the series, co developed with the 5th. They had years and better technology to fix the frame rate issues and didn't. "Dark souls was like that" is not an excuse when you became one of the best selling franchises in gaming and did nothing to improve the quality with the resources it got you.
They had all that, but the game was also superior in the graphics department to souls. Implemented different mechanics, a different combat system etc.
Was also released quite early in ps4's lifespan. Don't know if Sekiro suffered the same frame rate drops.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
They had all that, but the game was also superior in the graphics department to souls. Implemented different mechanics, a different combat system etc.
Was also released quite early in ps4's lifespan. Don't know if Sekiro suffered the same frame rate drops.
Removing shields and added health regain on hit isn't much of a combat system change. People make out like Bloodborne is this hugely different game and it isn't. It shuffles a few combat actions around but plays mostly the same.

There's much better looking games on even the Switch and they run at better frame rates. I'm long past excusing From's bullshit with frame rates at this point.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Bloodborne is hugely different. Are you high?
Tell me how and I'll tell you how you're wrong. Rally doesn't change how you actually fight. A window is a window and you can either attack or you can't. Parrying being moved from the shield to a gun doesn't change how the mechanic works. Slightly less risky but that's it. And er.. well I'm out of changes. Be my guest if you can prove me wrong but you can't because it's no different.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Tell me how and I'll tell you how you're wrong. Rally doesn't change how you actually fight. A window is a window and you can either attack or you can't. Parrying being moved from the shield to a gun doesn't change how the mechanic works. Slightly less risky but that's it. And er.. well I'm out of changes. Be my guest if you can prove me wrong but you can't because it's no different.
Were removing shields and adding health regain the only things that could have changed the nature of combat in Bloodborne compared to other Souls games? Did you even play the game? Make a substantial and realistic argument or don't expect people to waste time explaining why your thoroughly retarded opinions are wrong.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Were removing shields and adding health regain the only things that could have changed the nature of combat in Bloodborne compared to other Souls games? Did you even play the game? Make a substantial and realistic argument or don't expect people to waste time explaining why your thoroughly retarded opinions are wrong.
Explain how it's different. Are you going to say switching mode is different to 2 handing a weapon? It's the exact same combat system but they moved your bow to your off hand permanently and put parry on it instead of your shield. I made an argument. It's Souls combat with a couple of buttons moved around, it doesn't fundamentally change anything unless your entire play style is back stab fishing which most people don't.

Silva

Arcane
Explain how it's different. Are you going to say switching mode is different to 2 handing a weapon? It's the exact same combat system but they moved your bow to your off hand permanently and put parry on it instead of your shield. I made an argument. It's Souls combat with a couple of buttons moved around, it doesn't fundamentally change anything unless your entire play style is back stab fishing which most people don't.
First, trick weapons have MUCH more depth than any Souls analogue. Remember Bloodborne builds are done in function to single weapons, not stats, and the game keeps a hell of fun throughout. It's normal to finish a playthrough with your weapon and still miss out on some trick or combination, for eg, which is something unthinkable in Souls/ER, given how shallow their weapons' movesets are.

Second, lack of shield + dodge step + regain mechanic make for a distinct playstyle to anything Souls up to that point. While DS3 and ER came later and took inspiration, they still lack all the curated elements Bloodborne has that add to it, like enemies, gear and levels.

Finally, Bloodborne animations and gfx are sooooooo good it makes just moving around the environs super satisfying. The art direction went through the roof here. Added to the above points, it gives the experience a flow of sorts, fighting feeling like a dance. Not even the more radical Dex-Parry build in Souls/ER come close to the experience, feeling super stiff in comparison (I know cause I'm a Dex main in Souls). Only Sekiro built upon and surpass what Bloodborne did here.

Last edited:

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
First, trick weapons have more depth than any Souls weapons (or just 2-handing them). It's normal to finish a playthroguh with your chosen weapon and missing out on some trick or combination, for eg. The very fact character builds are done in function to weapons, and not stats, and the game keeps being a hell of fun with just that single weapon (and maybe an auxiliary one) throughout all it's playtime, is proof of this.

Second, lack of shield + dodge step + regain mechanic make for a distinct playstyle to anything Souls up to that point. While DS3 and ER came later and took inspiration, they still lack all the curated elements Bloodborne have like enemies, gear and environment, that add to the style.

Finally, Bloodborne animations and gfx are sooooooo good it makes just moving around super satisfying. The art design went through the roof here. Added to the above points, it gives the experience a flow of sorts, fighting feeling like a dance. Not even the more radical Dex-Parry build in Souls/ER come close to the experience, feeling super slow and stiff in comparison (I know cause I'm a Dex main in Souls). Only Sekiro built upon and surpass what Bloodborne did here.

Skip to 4:20 if you don't want to watch the whole video. It breaks down how you're entirely wrong on the combat front.

"Just moving is super satisfying" is also incorrect. Bloodborne repeatedly drops frames and fucks up it's frame timing. It is the only souls game you cannot run on a better platform and that already puts it bottom of the barrel for From's games. The game will even eat your inputs due to it's frame rate issues and From games already had inconsistent buffering issues which continue into Elden ring.

Clip to 1:30 for an explanation of why Bloodborne is not "super satisfying".

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Bro, have you played the game or are you talking with others dicks in your mouth?
Yes. And my opinion on both play throughs I did years apart was it was unacceptable for the 4th game in a series to run this poorly on next gen hardware. I could forgive Blighttown once. I cannot forgive it 3 times in a row.

It's clear you didn't watch either video linked with a comprehensive argument for why I'm right. Especially not the one which shows actual frame rate issues in real time by a trusted source for how games run. You just replied to defend the 2nd worst souls game after Sekiro despite it being a steaming pile of shit and unacceptable for a Triple A dev to release as a killer app. Which STILL has problems today other games patched out very quickly as the second video details.

No one is arguing against the fact that Bloodborne runs badly, but it's definitely worth playing despite its horrible framerate and shoddy frame pacing because it's an exceptional fucking game.

I consider myself much more sensitive than most people to framerate/frame pacing/image quality issues, and Bloodborne just powers through all of its shortcomings with its amazing art direction, level design, atmosphere, soundtrack and sheer overall experience. It's From's best game after Demon's Souls (Sekiro comes third for me but it's a pretty distant third) and calling it 'unacceptable' because some DF faggots cry about it is hilariously gay.

Besides, it's possible to get the game to run at 60fps on a modded PS4 if it really bothers you that much.

Just for reference, do you think the PS5 remake of Demon's Souls is better or worse than the original? It runs at 60fps/1440p while the original dipped into the low single digits at times, ran at half the resolution and suffered from long load times. If you were to replay the game, which version would you prefer?

I'll say this - it's probably the only game that made me care about its setting (lore); it's Lovecraftian in essence without being derivative which is a herculean feat that I'm not sure was entirely intentional even to this day.

Also, the fact that it hasn't been rereleased (or patched to run much better on PS5) is probably entirely on Sony. For reference, they still force The Last Guardian to run at 30fps on the PS5 if you patch it, which is ludicrous. You can play the frame unlocked version of the game if you run it from the disc and block the patch. The frame limiter that was patched in is probably just an .ini toggle that would take a janitor half a second to fix.

Last edited:

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
I consider myself much more sensitive than most people to framerate/frame pacing/image quality issues, and Bloodborne just powers through all of its shortcomings with its amazing art direction, level design, atmosphere, soundtrack and sheer overall experience. It's From's best game after Demon's Souls (Sekiro comes third for me but it's a pretty distant third) and calling it 'unacceptable' because some DF faggots cry about it is hilariously gay.
I disagree on many fronts with this statement.

Bloodborns art direction is mostly brown and grey. It's a very drab game and many of the bosses suffer from "it's a cluster fuck of fur textures flailing around". I enjoy souls games for their variety of locations and I found the same brown and grey town to be very unappealing. Level design didn't appeal to me because I don't enjoy unlocking a short cut the same way I do finding a bonfire. I understand short cuts in demon's souls with levels being fixed but many in Bloodborne are still long walks back and some times dangerous compared to the main run defeating the point. I found the town to be very generic and easy to get lost in because it all looks the same. And we had a huge regression with bonfires non longer letting you sit at them to respawn stuff and making you sit through 2 loading screens if you needed to farm something or level up. The Jumping system hasn't changed and is still a pile of shit that needed fixing in Dark souls 1 and didn't get fixed until Elden Ring. There's very few NPCs of note and often they're just talking windows. A huge step down from previous From games unless you like a window telling you to fuck off for some reason.

My first overall experience with Bloodborne was picking the axe as a starting weapon and using the R2 to spin every enemy to death. It knocked them all back and they would charge back into another spin. I did this for a few hours and decided that was enough. I'm a shield user, I wasn't interested in learning to parry because the mechanics for it are terrible. There's no way to tell when to parry and a split second can change a parry into not a parry. I understand parrying a weapon having set windows if I have to intercept it with a shield or another weapon. I don't understand a charging ogre/giant hitting me full on or getting staggered because I shot slightly too early or late into his attack animation. It feels gamey to need to shoot within a set window despite my bullet hitting the ogre between the eyes either way. The ogres stand out to me the most because their windows don't make any sense. And ammo is limited so if you want to learn parry timing you better farm some extra bullets or get lucky discovering the window before you use too much ammo.

I found it tedious to grind blood vials when I ran into a boss I struggled with and had no easy solution to get them (Demon's souls has 4-2 for easy soul farming, but it's still an issue From fixed then went back on). I don't like the extreme amount of healing you have in Bloodborne as it lets From get lazy with boss designs and do unacceptable levels of bullshit flailing attacks. And rally as a mechanic is a failure in terms of uniqueness because it changes nothing about the gameplay. I play Bloodborne the same way I play any of my dex characters. Bloodborne gives me some health back when Souls games don't.

If you have a window you attack, if you don't then you don't. It plays no different to any other souls game in terms of punishing enemy windows and removing options/shuffling them around. Trick weapons make a cool noise when transformed but essential act the same as normal souls weapons. Compare Souls to DMC and ask yourself why Dante can launch enemies, launch himself with them, lunge across the screen, pull enemies in, push enemies away, dodge, block, parry, do a million stab or a multi hit combo with a lot of movement and then look at Souls weapons and.. Well you can hit the enemies and they might get staggered. If you're making an action focused game, give me some options. I don't expect DMC, but I do expect you to replace my shield with something other than letting my bow now parry things and being told it's different from the game I've played 3 times now and was burned out on. Bloodborne is a fast game and it is still demon's souls combat system just faster. Which means camera lock on breaking on a boss is fucked. Bloodborne is full of massive bosses and the camera focuses on their nutsack if you stand close to them despite this being a huge fucking issue with the damage bloodborne bosses do. The hardest enemies in the game are the Sharks in the DLC, not any of the bosses. And I was not happy when I paid for a DLC And one of the bosses is a reused boss from the base game with a harder phase 2 and another was heavily based on a base game boss as well. I don't think From reusing assets is bad, I think paying for a Demon firesage on top of the base game is bad.

Chalice Dungeons can go fuck themselves with a rusty spoon. I don't play From games to play randomly generated dungeons for hours on end. This annoys me because I want to see and beat every boss in a Souls game. I can reasonably do that with every boss except maybe Dark lurker if I used my resources badly (I never have, but it's possible to be locked out of him). I know there are Bloodborne bosses I've never got to fight because I wasn't willing to play through badly designed dungeons for hours to reach them. Unique bosses I may have enjoyed or hated like the stupid fucking dog, I'll never know because I am not doing 42 randomly generated dungeons to fight a boss I'll likely nuke with my end game build at that point.

I have finished Bloodborne Twice. Once with the DLC and once without. It has some very cool bosses (The One Reborn and Wet Nurse are my favourites. They're interesting designs and okay fights) but it falls flat in everything I enjoy about souls games. And it doesn't fix any of the problems From have refused to fix since Demon's souls while adding back problems they solved (healing farming).

It's not "lovecraft" like in any of the lovecraft fiction I've read. Lovecraft stories usually go along the same path. A man finds something creepy, it fucks with him and he goes "oh fuck, I'm going to die. Don't come looking into this or you will too" in some form and then he explains fucking nothing. As soon as the giant spider things appeared every where it goes from weird mystery to "Oh look aliens". And it doesn't even tell it's story well because it's From's lazy story telling where item descriptions leave more questions than answers because it's cheaper and easier than writing a proper story. The One Reborn is a really cool boss design, it's not a hard boss fight but it's interesting to look at. What Lore does it have? Fucking none. There's nothing deep in bloodborne, nothing to really grasp onto. It doesn't tell a lovecraft story well because it shows way too much and it doesn't tell a good story of it's own because it says too little.
Besides, it's possible to get the game to run at 60fps on a modded PS4 if it really bothers you that much.
Last time I checked it didn't keep a steady 60 FPS on the PS4 pro, but it may now. I tried to keep an eye on Lance's twitter but he was retweeting tranny cam whores and I wasn't going to keep up with someone like that.
Just for reference, do you think the PS5 remake of Demon's Souls is better or worse than the original? It runs at 60fps/1440p while the original dipped into the low single digits at times, ran at half the resolution and long load times. If you were to replay the game, which version would you prefer?
PS5 Demon's souls is a serious downgrade in many ways from the PS3 original. It feels like a totally different game and I wouldn't play it even if I was given a PS5 for free. Demon's souls is also the first Souls game and I'm willing to look past the PS3 struggling in some areas because it's a much better overall package and it's the first in the series. I can accept a flawed game and enjoy it any way. I cannot accept being 4 games into the series and my weapon bouncing off the wall while the enemies passes straight through and kills me because I didn't hit it and get a stagger. Game 1 is different to Game 4. From do not fix problems and roll back problems they do fix in later games. Demon's souls doesn't run perfectly but it's also a console generation earlier and Dark souls 1 and 2 came out afterwards and From had time to learn their lesson after Blight town... and didn't.
Also, the fact that it hasn't been rereleased (or patched to run much better on PS5) is probably entirely on Sony. For reference, they still force The Last Guardian to run at 30fps on the PS5 if you patch it, which is ludicrous. You can play the frame unlocked version of the game if you run it from the disc and block the patch. The frame limiter that was patched in is probably just an .ini toggle that would take a janitor half a second to fix.
From games link game logic to frame rate. Dark souls 2 at 60 FPS forces dex weapon users to carry 2 on some of the longer stretches because durability drains twice as fast. My first time through the 1st DLC I had to use 3 katanas or I would run out of durability before I reached the next bonfire. I don't know if From fixed that in later games as durability is meaningless now but it's likely still tied to game logic. Falling through ladders and shorter jumps in DaS1 with DSFix is another issue with frame rate increasing so maybe Bloodborne will break in similar ways.

In b4 my tl;dr reactions because I explained all the ways Bloodborne is a total fucking mess. I linked the Lost art of demon's souls video because it sums up how I felt towards From after Dark souls 2, so many of my complaints match that video. I came to the same conclusions before I watched it and I'm not copying what I heard despite it seeming that way. I don't think Bloodborne is a terrible game, it has a lot of merits to it and I can see why someone might enjoy it. But it's a complete fucking mess from top to bottom and it should be held accountable for it's issues as well as praised for what it does well. I assume Sekiro is a decent game too but when I got to the ogre and it had broken grab hit boxes I knew it was more From Jank and I wasn't getting the aspects I like from From games (adventure, different enviroments, fantasy bosses with cool designs) so I said no thanks, fuck this shit. And Bloodborne is very close to the same territory where it removes almost everything I enjoy about From's games and doesn't replace it with anything I consider remotely worth the loss.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Won't let me go back and edit this into the post now.

No one should ever say "Hey guys, did you read the item descriptions. There's a really cool story in them." Fuck that lazy way of story telling where you leave half of it out and call it a story. A games story should not be told through random bits of text you find attached to items. You waste so much time stopping to read it and turn the game into a chore. Or you read a wiki after you finish playing to get all the info in one place with no risk of missing something. It's bad story telling, it's a bad way to express lore and I think it's especially bad in a game like Bloodborne where the story is way more current and relevant than Dark souls.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom