Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard announced "Classic" World of Warcraft

Leinhart

Literate
Man I miss nerding over WoW so much.

If I was 10 years younger I would be doing all nighters on HC.

ADL

Prophet
My favorite 3.3.5-based Classic+ server (Duskhaven) is being rebuilt on a new core to clean things up. It's admittedly messy but that's the price you pay to have all the custom shit they've done like Mythic+ and a Bard class.
# Hello everyone!

We'd like to discuss our plans for *the future*. With in acknowledgment of the server's current rough edges and the need to revisit our server core, we've decided to relaunch Duskhaven Reforged in mid October to early November (precise date forthcoming). This implies that the Smolderthorn realm will cease to exist from the first week of August. To be clear, *it will go down*. However, before it goes down, everyone who has stood by us during Smolderthorn's reign will be able to participate in our custom, highly engaging, Doomsday Event - as part of our relaunch. *This relaunch is canon to Duskhaven lore!*

This wasn't an easy decision, but after careful evaluation of our server core and the technical debt required it was decided that we were better off re-releasing the server. Consequently, we've decided to transition to the DuskForge Core, *a new open-source core based on AC and a* joint venture between the Duskhaven and Forged Teams. Further details will follow soon. In the meantime, I’ll do what I can to clarify some common concerns – both with this announcement, and in today’s Q&A session ⁠https://discord.com/channels/812811978048798752/1126631239928004669 If, at a future date, you find that you have a specific concern that is not addressed, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

> **First up is the big question that has been swirling around our community these last several hours: whether we plan to reset the server.**
Ultimately, we will be resetting the server, and all characters will be wiped from all accounts. It's a difficult decision to reach, and we are aware that it isn’t pleasant for anyone to lose the character(s) they’ve built up over their history on Duskhaven, but at the end of the day, we believe that the ways we can best serve our community, serve you, is through methods that require a server wipe to accomplish. Not the least of which is the implementation of the DuskReforged Core discussed in today’s announcement.

That said, we are taking steps to limit the loss to each individual player’s time as best we can; to that end, your existing accounts will transfer over to the new server, and we will periodically hold polls to help ensure that we’re taking your perspectives and desires into account as we prepare for Duskhaven’s relaunch.

One major concern we’ve seen repeated perhaps more than any other over the last few months is a lack of clear communication.

Let us be very clear about this matter: This will be the **LAST** time Duskhaven will **EVER** reset. We would not have chosen to reset if it wasn't absolutely necessary and essential to the experience. We want to hear what the biggest pain points for a reset are so we can decide what we can do to make this process suck less.

> **The next issue how we plan to compensate those who have donated to Smolderthorn only to learn that the server is temporarily closing.**

For those who've spent money on Donation Coins: You will regain those Donation Points when we relaunch. Please provide the Transaction ID# to Kebful, and we'll deposit the Donation Points into your account so that come relaunch, you can spend them on the character(s) of your choice as you see fit.

I’m a firm believer of actions speaking louder than words. That’s why, instead of just telling you that we’re working on the situation, I’m here to bring you up to speed on the following steps we’ve taken so far:

> **Duskhaven Team**
We now have about 15-20 additional people who will be helping with the Development/Design concepts of Duskhaven Reforged.

> **Raids and Mythic+ Dungeons:**
We will be supporting existing custom dungeons and raids, as well as adding new custom and retroported dungeons and raids that fit the Duskhaven lore and vision!

> **Account-Wide System:**
As a massive QoL improvement, we are incorporating an Account-Wide System for:
- Mounts
- Titles
- Achievements
All of these will be account-bound and shared between all your characters.

> **Dragonflight's UI Talent System:**
The new core has a new UI system called ForgedUI, which we will be using to create Dragonflight-like talents that retain the old vanilla flavor. This means each class will have a separate Class tree and a Specialization tree. This means we're bringing Specializations to Vanilla!

> **Cataclysm Haste Changes:**
Which will apply melee haste to energy regeneration and rune cooldowns for Death Knights. Spell haste will add additional ticks to DoTs and HoTs, and the duration of spells and abilities will no longer be reduced by spell and melee haste.

> **Changes to Combo Points:**
We are reworking combo points to be stored on YOU, not your target. Your combo points will no longer reset after combat or when a target dies, but will only be usable during combat, and will degrade gradually while out of combat.

> **Custom Classes & Races**
Custom classes (such as Demon Hunters, Bards, Tinkers, Monks, and potential future introductions ) will no longer be tied to existing classes.
We will also be introducing multiple *custom races* like the following.

- Worgen
- Goblin

*This is just a snippet of the available races. We have many more available which will be contingent on the results we get from polls*

> **Hunter Focus:**
We are investigating Focus as a resource for Hunters on re-launch. We believe there is a lot of potential with this resource and a lot of possibilities that we can play around with that will make this class quite enjoyable.

There's a lot more in store, and we'll share more information in due course.
During this time our website, launcher, and discord will be overhauled.

Hopefully this time the server population doesn't reach life support levels so fast. Feels like at this time if your server isn't Warmane or Turtle it's struggling, sadly as I like neither.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
A friend and I will be playing WoW classic geoguessr in around 2 1/2 hours. It's anonymous, no account needed, in your browser. If you want to play for around half hour to an hour, just dm me. It will be set to 5 mins per guess for a more relaxing experience.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Same date as Armored Core 6 releases.

WoW Classic Hardcore realms go live August 24th

fxEvnQsJqqkNTySDV80AcWe8XLFms0a8XVXTww8VOXGXEv6IBXdWOzeDLW6rYYEuJLYQSsEj3vNT

Akachi

Educated
The ad is like a reminder telling you why you should stay away: "Consensual PvP" only! :lol: The last sentence is written so poorly, it implies PvE is not tolerated either. I remember when choosing to play on a PvP server was considered to be the "consent" to PvP on a PvP server happening, but now I guess ganking is rape. Guess it fits with how it used to be common in games to say someone who got pwnt got raped. Too many noobs must have been raped too hard too many times and never recovered from the brutal trauma of non-consensual PvP.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The ad is like a reminder telling you why you should stay away: "Consensual PvP" only! :lol: The last sentence is written so poorly, it implies PvE is not tolerated either. I remember when choosing to play on a PvP server was considered to be the "consent" to PvP on a PvP server happening, but now I guess ganking is rape. Guess it fits with how it used to be common in games to say someone who got pwnt got raped. Too many noobs must have been raped too hard too many times and never recovered from the brutal trauma of non-consensual PvP.

Well, it's only on the Hardcore realms. Not that WoW isn't cancer now, but if you're permanently losing a character, it'd suck to have some guild poopsock it to 60 and then just gank the other side so no one gets above level 20. :lol:

That'd pretty much kill a server.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'll give it a go once the starter zones aren't so packed that the only thing hardcore about it is wanting to wait for respawns to complete the quests. Already done that enough times. Think I'll roll up a Troll Shaman.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
So how's hardcore? Full bot economy kicked in yet?

Most likely they are working hard now. I am playing very casually as I am also playing Armored Core VI (really fun game). My friend, who is playing with more zeal, is having a good experience so far. A lot of people playing. Most of his friends he made while playing unofficial hardcore are all there. He has stated that it isn't quite as fun as the first go around which is understandable. It takes a special kind of sperg to do this in the first place, let alone to do it for months or years. I would say to stay away unless you are really interested.

Akachi

Educated
Hunter would probably be the best class for PvE hardcore, since the only fun to be had would be in using misdirection to get as many people killed as you can. Wiping raids was always fun and one of the best reasons to play a tank or hunter, but imagine the rage doing it in "hardcore" mode. Bonus points if you can get streamers killed. They say it's against the rules, but Blizzard always worked at glacial speeds to ban for any of that even back in the day when they had way more employees and not multiday queues for your ticket to even be seen, and the worst you'd get is a stern talking to and suspension even for tons of people reporting you at once. Hunter has more plausible deniability for it, too, just like for rolling on whatever items you want. Then again, maybe you're better off trying to find novel ways to distract everyone and make them wipe where it's their own fault. Of course, worst scenario if you do get banned from WoW today, you're better off anyway.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Hunter would probably be the best class for PvE hardcore, since the only fun to be had would be in using misdirection to get as many people killed as you can. Wiping raids was always fun and one of the best reasons to play a tank or hunter, but imagine the rage doing it in "hardcore" mode. Bonus points if you can get streamers killed. They say it's against the rules, but Blizzard always worked at glacial speeds to ban for any of that even back in the day when they had way more employees and not multiday queues for your ticket to even be seen, and the worst you'd get is a stern talking to and suspension even for tons of people reporting you at once. Hunter has more plausible deniability for it, too, just like for rolling on whatever items you want. Then again, maybe you're better off trying to find novel ways to distract everyone and make them wipe where it's their own fault. Of course, worst scenario if you do get banned from WoW today, you're better off anyway.
Misdirection doesn't exist in vanilla. You can still force mobs to attack other players as a hunter, though. Blizz somehow fucked up the leashing and mobs aggro players who are simply around them whenever, so you can feign death near someone else and there's a good chance the mob will aggro on them. The ultimate grief already happened on hardcore anyway. A warrior was playing with the first hardcore guild to raid Naxx for over a year in order to wipe almost all of them on Four Horsemen because Petrification Flask doesn't work on the marks.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
just play a priest and forget to heal people in a dungeon :)
If you've played priests or healers in general for the last 15 years like I have, it's basically impossible to force yourself to not heal when someone is low, lol. But yeah, technically playing a healer will enable you to grief more than trying to glitch mobs into attacking bystanders as a hunter.

Dr1f7

Scholar
just play a priest and forget to heal people in a dungeon :)
oh man that sounds so good
does anyone know if blizz bans healers for "forgetting" (or hearthing out mid-fight or something) ? sounds like something they would do

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
does anyone know if blizz bans healers for "forgetting" (or hearthing out mid-fight or something) ? sounds like something they would do

They do. Don't remember where I read/heard it tho. Most likely some Asmo video.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom