Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard announced "Classic" World of Warcraft

Dr1f7

Scholar
hoping it will finally give them the fresh perspective on a two decade old games they longed for.
Who needs a fresh perspective?

They play to get the feels they felt 20 years ago. You know, like listening to your favorite bands from your teenhood? It's normal.

And playing old games with mods is normal, too.
it's normal to listen to your favorite teenhood bands for like... an hour or two every couple years
it's absolutely not normal to spend multiple hundreds of hours over the course of 1-3 months replaying a 20 year old game from teen years as an adult

big difference between the two

janior

Arcane
Patron
hoping it will finally give them the fresh perspective on a two decade old games they longed for.

They play to get the feels they felt 20 years ago. You know, like listening to your favorite bands from your teenhood? It's normal.

it's normal to listen to your favorite teenhood bands for like... an hour or two every couple years
it's absolutely not normal to spend multiple hundreds of hours over the course of 1-3 months replaying a 20 year old game from teen years as an adult

noooooooo stop having fun, because uh this game is uh OLD, off urself faggot

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik

Somebody tell 2023 it should stop liking the 80s unless it's enjoyed an hour per year max. God forbid someone enjoys it more.

Sarathiour

Cipher

Nothing wrong with playing old games. But when you arrive at stage when you have to make special restriction designed to suck out anything fun from it, you should start to ponder how desperate you are to fire those sweet nostalgic neuron activation that you had in the past.
Playing WoW in permadeath serve zero purpose, it's tedium for the sake of it, you might as well play chineese gacha. I mean, if you don't realize that just upon hearing the association "Warcraft" and "permadeath", you're too far gone for anyone to save you, any further exchange is just going to be insult hurled against the disbeliever.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
I really don't see what the problem is. It changes the way you have to play WoW and while you might think that's tedious for others is something they find fun. Choosing which quests to do, what zones to avoid (a lot of the caves for examples are deathtraps cause you'll get swarmed by enemies respawning), chasing certain pieces of gear that might give you an advantage at certain levels, buffs, professions.
It's not any different from something like this for example. And I don't see anyone calling OP out for "chasing nostalgic neuron activations"

pickmeister

Learned
I just received free 14 days game time for free as a gift. Considering this never happened before, they must be pretty desperate.
F4qKidL.png

Yeah it's been less than two months since the last free play period and expansion discount. Blizzard has never done this before, and this is the first expansion where Blizzard has been radio silent on Dragonflight numbers. Even Shadowlands had Blizzard spin doctoring it as some record breaking expansion. Dragonflight? Nada.

WoD through Shadowlands really damaged WoW's reputation. The game has been solidly a "raid or unsub" game for almost a decade. The expansions quality has continued to decline with each expansion as there is less content, less features, and degradation of the music and the visual quality and game design and writing. Dragonflight is more fun to play than the last three expansions in that there is relatively little grind, but it the end of the day it's still pretty much "raid or unsub" and most people who aren't raiders have accepted that modern Blizzard will only ever cater to raiders and have left and moved on with their lives.

I've heard people hoping on MMO-C for a Classic+ with new classes and content, but it will never happen. For many years, Blizzard adamantly refused to officially release vanilla servers despite the sheer demand for them. If you have 800,000 people wanting to use your software (and you can charge $15 a month to them), perhaps you should provide a way for them to do it. Most people would say "yeah, that would be a worthwhile investment". But Blizzard didn't, and you have to ask "why?". They shut down Nostalrius because it was embarrassing to them that people would rather play an old game than retail WoW. If Blizzard were to invest resources into developing new content for a Classic+ and it turns out to be more popular than the game that only appeals to raidloggers, it would be the ultimate humilation for the retail WoW dev team. So they'll never do it.

"You think you do, but you don't" turns out that yes, people really did.

Arbiter

Scholar
I just received free 14 days game time for free as a gift. Considering this never happened before, they must be pretty desperate.
F4qKidL.png

product.category.null.name

Modern Blizzard quality.

Free game time does not surprise me, the economy is tanking and WoW subscription is not an essential need. I am getting spammed by various retailers too.

Caim

Arcane
After the release of ICC for Classic I wouldn't be surprised if the game's just going to tank. So unless Blizzard is going to do Classic+ and make it something special they're on their last legs.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
F4qKidL.png

product.category.null.name

Modern Blizzard quality.
Surpised me as well. Pretty embarassing.
Only 7 days for me. The cheap bastards. Not that I'm going to use it anyway, but it's the principle of the thing.

I did notice that there's a giant "Up to 50% off Dragonflight" banner on the front page of the app. After all those years of never discounting this shit until the next expack comes out. How sad. :lol:

Norfleet

I don't see the point of that, honestly. If I have to quit in 14 days anyway, why bother starting? If you want me to play for just 14 days, you have to pay ME. Otherwise it's just not worth it.

Dr1f7

Scholar
I don't see the point of that, honestly. If I have to quit in 14 days anyway, why bother starting? If you want me to play for just 14 days, you have to pay ME. Otherwise it's just not worth it.
tbh i don't think they could pay me to play this dogshit "game"

Norfleet

They're trying to hook you into picking up the expack and subbing.
Yes, but I explicitly don't do things others want me to, especially when those things are detrimental to me. After a lifetime of exposure to ads and then Adblock, I have an instinctive rejection of any idea that doesn't originate from inside my own head.

janior

Arcane
Patron
I pity those guys who wait in lines at low level zones for a quest mob to spawn and then I swoop in with my macro to steal the tag with an instant cast on it, they are FUMING, i love hardcore wow ROFLMAO

Absinthe

Arcane
Just remember it needs to be instant cast damage. IIRC mobs don't truly tag until the first tick of a DoT.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Did Blizzard made ANY good change in classic/WotLK wow?

Like in WotLK, they just removed RDF by no reason, censored and brought woke BS to the point that there are not even character gender anymore. This while private servers like duskhaven, vanilla plus, turtle wow and so on are bringing new and interesting stuff.

Look to this. Much better than anything brought by Blizz after WoTLK.

Absinthe

Arcane
Did Blizzard made ANY good change in classic/WotLK wow?
They finally rolled back Alterac Valley from the incredibly unpopular 1.11 version to the earlier one. They also did negative shit like the ill-advised dungeon time locks, which did not wreck gold farming but did ruin MCP farming, nerfing Gnomish Death Rays to pierce Divine Shield because it offended them somehow, and nerfing Infernal and Doomguard summons to despawn quickly and not aggro players like normal mobs, iirc.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
d nerfing Infernal and Doomguard summons to despawn quickly and not aggro players like normal mobs, iirc.

IMO they should do the opposite. Allow warlocks to do very large scale rituals involving extremely expensive reagents and many players working together to create a large Fel portal which will be used to spawn a army of Demons to invade and attack alliance/horde cities.

Absinthe

Arcane
Well the summons are even less useful as pets now. Originally the Infernal was meant to be the level 50 pet and the Doomguard the level 60 pet (level 40 pet = Felsteed), but Blizz chain nerfed Enslave Demon even during the vanilla days and later nerfed Soul Link to no longer work with non-summoned pets because people used it with Gnomish Mind Control Caps, along with adding the Master Demonologist talent, which left the Demonology spec in the now-ridiculous spot that Demonic Sacrifice is a prerequisite for Soul Link even though you can no longer use both of them together and Demonic Sacrifice gets rather unappealing when you lose out on your pets and their new MD bonuses. It's clear that whatever happened there meant that the design of the Warlock class was no longer in the hands of the same people, which makes sense considering the way the original World of Warcraft vision and the ultimate Everquest-ified, raid-obsessed, class-pigeonholed* vision differ.

*Druids, Shamans, and Paladins are all pushed very heavily into being endgame healers only.

Last edited:

pickmeister

Learned
They finally rolled back Alterac Valley from the incredibly unpopular 1.11 version to the earlier one
Are you shitting me? This is the thing I wouldn't stop bitching about. I always said there's no reason to play unless they bring back original AV.
When and where?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Does the Season of Mastery makes anything interesting? Because honestly, Duskhaven/Turtle/Vanilla+ seems more interesting to play..

Absinthe

Arcane
It mostly just raises endgame raid difficulty, which I'm not sure is an improvement if you're in the habit of just reducing raid sizes to get more loot per raider while raising the difficulty. SoM also basically removed world buffs from raids and removed debuff limits (mostly in order to give casters better DPS) iirc. But early raids are more irrelevant anyway thanks to PvP and PvP gear being implemented from the start along with having an accelerated PvP rank progression (iirc they doubled the size of the PvP brackets, which still doesn't fix their no-lifing shithole design, but it does make it more bearable).

It also made the ill-advised mistakes of implementing TBC Looking For Group and Meeting Stones as well as raising leveling exp, because much like the EQ idiots who took over WoW's design after the original devs mostly left they only valued endgame and didn't understand the appeal of leveling progression (which is part of what makes Turtle WoW more appealing), even though the whole "powerleveling and fast-traveling past 90% of the content" bits are part of what ruined retail WoW.

Other than that, they also lowered the costs of getting mounts for the same reason, but that can probably be legitimately classified as a QoL improvement. The game needs better gold sinks than mounts, although inflation has already largely diminished the impact of most gold sinks. They did nerf a bunch of dungeon gold farming iirc. Pickpocketing has been nerfed and Strat and Mara had AoE farming nerfed.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom