Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect BioWare Montreal's Mass Effect: Andromeda - where element zero meets trisomy 21

it's common sense, not a degree of realism.

J1M

Arcane
I've honestly enjoyed every BioWare game ever, in some form, but I'm still not interested in Andromeda and I will never play it, and I think I know exactly why that is.

I honestly might have played this and enjoyed it thoroughly, it really looks like an okay shooter with some wonky animations and dialogue, but it just doesn't have a good Shepard replacement.

It's not an ok shooter unfortunately. The map size, a.i., encounter design, semi-auto fire rate and weapons damage on higher difficulties (esp. "assault rifles"), camera perspectives (zoomed in gears of war in an open world game with huge maps but also close-in fighting arena areas where you can be attacked from all sides) and so on and so forth just are not designed to work with each other at all. ME3 actually did the shooting and also the actual impact/damage of the abilities better imo.
Hmm. What little footage I've seen made me think they had made a return to Mass Effect 1's combat, an awkward third-person shooter with some half-assed cover functionality. I very much prefer the full cover shooter combat in ME2/3 but I thought ME1 was at the very least passable.

Everyone also treats the protag like a loser too. The AI bosses him around and the companions don't really defer to his authority. Also no instances of collar grabbing but lots of awkwardness. Typical Ryder:

Well, based on everything I've seen, Ryder *is* a loser. I don't think I've ever seen a serious or angry or "jerk" dialogue option. I've been watching some gameplay videos and it's been nothing but Yes, No, and Joking/Obnoxious answers.

Also Deus Ex music is way too good for any Mass Effect.

When you are saving the Asari ark you get one chance in the game to be serious and a jerk by pointing out their incompetence.

It's notable in that it shows the lack of similar choices to be incompetence, not an enforced mandate. (Like no-smoking in disney movies)

pippin

well, they are kids, and are only here due to nepotism, so that's only accurate.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I wonder why this game is being targeted by the haters and all the rest of the recent console games have gotten nothing but love?

I can't see anything wrong with the animations, but I am also normal and think for myself so that could be it.

Is this game good? No, its a console game devoid of what made Mass Effect good to me (but has a much better chardev system than the other 3). It just gets boring after a short while like all console games made for idiots and children. I haven't played FO4 but I doubt this game is worse. I think it is far better than DA:I, but just doesn't deliver what I consider to be Mass Effect.

But lets go over the checklist of what idiots today like -

Metrosexual lead character voiced by a fruity millennial child that is a huge pussy but still somehow manages to kicks ass like in Witcher and Fallout 4 and DA:I, etc, - Big Check

RPG Lite - Check

Fully Voiced - Check

90% of the huge budget spent on graphics - Check

Leftist nonsense is the norm - Big Check

Shitty characters that are hammy and make no sense - Check

No good or normal haircut options for guys who are attracted to women - Big Check

No way to give your character a build of someone who isn't a huge pussy - Check

Tons of meaningless quests - Check

It obviously should be far more loved than it is. I don't get it. It must be related to some hipster issue I am not aware of.

On a side note I've read a couple of the Halo books by Eric Nyland and one by Dietz. The Dietz one wasn't that good but wasn't that bad either. The Nyland ones were really good in my opinion. These are the first books I've read based on a game that I thought were good. The first I read was by Feist and was the novelization of Betrayal at Krondor. It was really bad, but he may have been the first author to novelize a game so had that hurdle. The Halo ones are the first books I've read about a game where I haven't played the game. Its too bad they do not make a Halo game with rpg elements as it seems like an interesting setting and the Master Chief from the books kind of reminds me of my Shepard from ME.

sser

Arcane
Developer
YFwzNfm.jpg

:hmmm:

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
And now a public apology with the writers weeping and admitting their guilt and thoughtlessness as they go on their knees and forgiveness may be considered. Yeesh, I honestly don't know what to say after reading that apology message, just make the damn correction and move on without making some spectacle of it.

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
And now a public apology with the writers weeping and admitting their guilt and thoughtlessness as they go on their knees and forgiveness may be considered. Yeesh, I honestly don't know what to say after reading that apology message, just make the damn correction and move on without making some spectacle of it.

I Haven't seen a company grovel like this since Beamdog apologized for fucking up a trans character..

:selfhate:

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter
MEA looks worse with each review, video and twitter post I see. At this point I don't even think it's worth the hard drive space it would take up even for a pirated copy, nor worth the time to play it.

DemonKing

Arcane
Putting in transgender characters seems like a big mistake to me given that the SJWs complain that they're not handled properly and everyone else complains because they're being force fed SJW propaganda shoehorned into games out of context for the sake of diversity. I'd like to think Bio will learn but probably not...

mastroego

Arcane
The ironic thing is that it's not THAT unrealistic that a trannie would rant about his sexual "journey" as soon as you meet him (her?)
Isn't it what they're doing all the time? Or is it just SWJs, I'm not sure.

Yes, putting such themes in a video game in the first place is retarded. No, I hope they won't learn so if they even get to make another game they will tank for good.

RockPaperCucks continue to shit on Prospermeda, couldn't have happened to nicer devs.
http://archive.li/27h8H
Mass Effect Andromeda’s romances are more elaborate and more forgettable

By Fraser Brown on April 5th, 2017 at 10:00 pm.

merelationships1.jpg

Nobody really talks like a person in Andromeda. Their preferred method of communication is spewing out clichés, and listening to them is akin to being forced to sit through the audio tape of the world’s most dismal autobiography. There’s so much of this inane dialogue that, I confess, I often found myself browsing my Twitter feed or talking to my dog instead of listening. My ears can only take so much abuse. The introductory chat with Gil really encapsulates everything that’s wrong with Andromeda’s script.

Ryder: “What’s your social circle like?”

Gil: “I’m good for a laugh, so I know lots of people – but I don’t let too many in.”

He’s a total liar, because you honestly can’t get Gil to shut up about whatever is running through his mind. He’s more than an open book, he’s every page of a book stuck on a wall for all to see. And, as I’ve already mentioned, he has a really stupid beard. Don’t date Gil.

flyingjohn

Arcane
The one thing i am confused about is the average gamer praising the combat.
It has shit ai,hp bloat,bugs,horrible encounter design ,no sense of movement flow(something that binary domain had and was also a cover shooter),auto cover system,and no weapon balance.
What is there left that is actually good?

donkeymong

Scholar
It's hilarious that BioWare thinks there will still be trannies 800 years into the future.
The problem isn't even that. Trannies and gays shouldn't be part of a mission dedicated to colonize a new place (Andromeda). They can't reproduce, all they will do is waste use more limited resources. The Bioware "writers" will never acknowledge that reality.

Sigh. Its the future. Scientist today already produced mice with the genetic material of two same sexes. And future gen therapy might be able to to transform a man in a fully functioning woman.

[Editor’s note: recent medical developments such as growing a vagina in a laboratory, advances in gender prosthetics, creating sperm from skin cells, etc. suggest this article is worthy of re-read and a place in the very Best of H+.]

http://hplusmagazine.com/2014/05/08/total-gender-change-within-decade/
http://time.com/3748019/same-sex-couples-biological-children/

Last edited:

Drakron

Arcane
Sigh. Its the future. Scientist today already produced mice with the genetic material of two same sexes. And future gen therapy might be able to to transform a man in a fully functioning woman.

Thats the problem. Its using 20150s social issues on a futurist setting, its not that it have gender reassignment but how it have 2015's gender "politics" instead. if medicine is so advanced there would be no trannies as their issues would be corrected unless uts someone that wants to be not a women or a man but a chick with a dick, at least that level of depravity is handled correctly in T.I.T.S.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom