Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Bethesda to offer free download of The Elder Scrolls: Arena

Spazmo

Erudite
Once again: read a dictionary. Look up bias. When you call me biased, you're implying that I don't actually have any reason to dislike TES games and instead am just doing it because they're not Fallout or whatever. That's probably not what you mean, but you're still wrong. It is my opinion that Morrowind sucks based on my experience with it. Bias has nothing to do with it. Were I biased, I would have never bought Morrowind in the first place and still expounded on its horribleness.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Spazmo said:
I think Vault Dweller enjoys Daggerfall.
I sure do. The CD is on my Wall of Fame in one of the Ikea finest (ok, cheapest) frames. Morrrowind was crap though. Didn't even make it to the Shelf of Fame :)

So it's my personal opinion that TES games are crap.
Hmm, sounds like a bias to me :P :lol:

taks

Liturgist
i actually rather enjoyed arena myself. however, it wasn't as fun as the bard's tales or the early might and magics. also, we were just playing along (my brothers and i) and suddenly WHAM! it ended. like, wow. weren't we supposed to do something else?

:)

taks

Limorkil

Liturgist
I think the Elder Scrolls games are certainly worthy of criticism. In fact, they've always been love 'em or hate 'em type games. Personally, I love 'em, but they are very flawed.

Psilon

Erudite
I actually found a practically-brand-new copy of Daggerfall at the local EB a month ago. $2.99, and it even had the strategy guide.

plin

Liturgist
you can get daggerfall from the-underdogs.org, or at least it used to be up there.

Lord Caio

Novice
LlamaGod said:
Yeah, bethesda fucking sucks.

Say it for yourself!

Even if Morrowind isn't the perfect role playing game, it's always a good try toward.
Easy to say always "sucks, sucks... and sucks !".
Where is the taste to admit that also we, players, suck in writing and saying only "sucks, sucks". And this is particulary true for oyu, dear LLLmaGodass. ( thanks to Volourn for free style writnig inspirestoin, hree. [ /i]

Spazmo

Erudite
Lord Caio said:
Say it for yourself!
Yeah, Pat does suck.

Even if Morrowind isn't the perfect role playing game, it's always a good try toward.
Easy to say always "sucks, sucks... and sucks !".
That's mostly because Morrowind sucks, sucks... and sucks ! And no, it's not a good try towards anything since I really don't think Morrowind succeeded at anything that hadn't been done before. Pretty graphics (which is debatable)? Any id FPS has them. Good audio? Try Blizzard or Interplay games. Detailed world? We've had well-made fantasy settings since the early days of D&D. Morrowind wasn't progressive at all. Just bad.

Realbumpbert

Liturgist
I enjoy Daggerfall a lot, and like I've said before, the plugins save Morrowind from suckage.

Lord Caio

Novice
Ok Spazmo, MW isn't so good, but not so bad. For me, however, it's a good try to create a 3-d world in which we may act, even if the we cannot yet role-play . And the future is only to roleplay a story in a 3d living world (as Gothic has already done).
I dont' want to defend MW, my intention is to underline the fact the roleplaying on a monitor induces everyone to put in comparison many aspects that are in a round table RP session.
These aspects are: how the rules are implemented, primarily, then what's the possibility to solve quests in different manner, and so on... But nevertheless, the RPg experience on a computer is mainly to see with your eyes what succeds on a screen,so the atmopshere created differs a lot with a round table session, where the DM gives a trace and every players can use their fantasy to imagine a living world where to "pilot" their avatars. Instead the atmosphere that many pc-RPg's create is completely bound at the graphics choices of the game designers. In MW we are all agree that there's a great freedom to explore and wander without a destination: in some sense these facts create atmosphere and a "little" illusion that the world on our monitor is living for itself (even if for MW is only a wolrd full of dummy and repetitive npc):ok, this is not yet roleplay, but not also a step backward.
The reality is this: MW is not FO, ok. But in these years how much RPgames have tried to follow the teachings of the FO's series?

Spazmo

Erudite
Here's the deal, knucklehead. Morrowind doesn't just fail as an RPG in comparison to Fallout. I played through and enjoyed the Baldur's Gate games quite a bit in spite of what poor RPGs they were. Morrowind simply isn't fun at all for anything. The combat is dull. The setting is dull. The NPCs are dull. There's just nothing there to make me want to play. It's a bad game and I'm not going to make excuses for the devs by saying they had good intentions or whatever because the game was just bad (some jerkhat will no doubt raise the fact that I'm seemingly willing to excuse ToEE's flaws. That's just because I actually liked ToEE and managed to play through the whole game). I don't care if you liked it or if you think that RPGs are going in that direction and it's the fledgling first step (because I violently disagree anyhow), I hated Morrowind. Now will you please stop trying to convince me that a game I hated so much I couldn't get past the first town was actually really good?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Re: Huh?

geminito said:
This site praises Fallout and criticizes Bioware games (both views that I agree with).

And now you praise Sacred (a mindless unoriginal click-fest) and say the Elder Scrolls series sucks? I thought I had figured out this site's bias, but now I'm completely thrown.

Oh well, my opinions aren't consistent either.

Well, that's probably just Vault Dweller or Spazmo. Their views do not reflect mine or Saint's, or Whip's or Ausir's. For starters, I liked the Baldur's Gate series very much, flawed as they were - though there's no argument that I dispise NWN. KOTOR was okay, but it's not something to jump around and shout about.

Sacred? It's unpolished. I wouldn't call it a great game. It's fun in multiplayer, I suppose, but there's a lot about it that bothers me. Plus, I prefer a game like Lineage 2 for multiplayer.

Daggerfall is an unispired mess in terms of questing. Morrowind was quite varied and the locations were rather interesting, to say the least. The problem was that the place just felt small, and the horrible dialogue system didn't do anything to improve anything. If anything the game needed to feel bigger, larger. Perhaps with mounts and an island 3 times larger the game wouldn't have felt so cramped. It felt rather silly walking from one town to the next, just two minutes away from each other... adjacent to a horde of undead.

Transcendent One

Liturgist
Both first person and isometric work well for certain things. For action games, first person (or at least third person) tends to be more popular, whereas isometric and other top down views are very common for RPG's.

Whipporowill

Erudite
And here was I with the skewed idea that this site wasn't biased since all the people working here are individuals? What was I thinking?

No seriously

I liked the BG games, I liked the Newerwinters to a lesser degree, didn't fancy Daggerfall or Morrowind (for the reasons mentioned earlier in this thread) but LOVED Fallout and Arcanum, as well as certain aspects of ToEE. I also find Sacred to be rather interesting... I also liked KOTOR, more for making me reminisce of the days when Star Wars had me in thrall than it's so called "gameplay".

So sue me for not being consistent?

Nigedo

Novice
Spazmo said:
a) Daggerfall runs fine with DOSBox (or so I'm told; I have no intention of ever playing Daggerfall) so quit whining about XP.

b) I hate the Elder Scrolls Series with a passion. I hate it because they're really bad games. That's my opinion. Exitium happens to like Morrowind quite a bit and I think Vault Dweller enjoys Daggerfall. So it's my personal opinion that TES games are crap.

Now please don't ever talk about bias again. I'm really fucking tired of you illiterate morons labelling any opinion you disagree with "OMG BIAS" instead of considering that maybe, just maybe, THAT'S MY HONEST OPINION ON THE MATTER AND NOT SOME FUCKING BIAS YOU GODDAMN DIPSHITS! Maybe it's just an honest mistake because you have no real fucking clue what bias means. Or maybe you're assholes. Regardless, don't call my opinions biased because they're not. My opinions are based on whether or not I like a given thing, not whether or not I have any prefabricated opinions on something just because it's made by a certain company or features a certain mode of gameplay.

So the next person who calls me biased will be shot and forcefully redirected to a dictionary where they might gain some understanding of the difference between a bias and an opinion.
I might be more inclined to respect your opionion if you didn't feel the need to force your point merely by the volume of foul language you use.

You're not big and you're certainly not clever.

Moreover, if you reflect the standard of news reporters for this site, then the sooner it dies the better for the whole Net community.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Nigedo said:
[I might be more inclined to respect your opionion if you didn't feel the need to force your point merely by the volume of foul language you use.

You might feel more inclined to understand why he does so if you take into account that the issue of being biased vs. having an opinion has been brought up, put down, resurected and buried again more times that we can count. At one point, it eats away at people's serentiy.

Moreover, if you reflect the standard of news reporters for this site, then the sooner it dies the better for the whole Net community.

That's interesting, because not only Spazboy is one of the better staff members, there's little to no reason why the above should be taken as representative of his ability to be a news reporter, given the use of profanity and the ability to report news in an unbiased way are unrelated.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"because not only Spazboy is one of the better staff members"

Wrong. He's one of the worst. SP, and VD are the best. Next.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom