Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Bethesda developer on the FO fans reaction

Seven

Erudite
Mech said:

So you said I was a guru, I said I wasn't, and that makes me a hypocrite? I've said it before and I'll say it again, you're a fucktard.

Also my arguments come accompanied with quotes from the primary source, from these I then draw conclusions. You're attempts at paraphrasing are piss-poor at best, and don't properly convey anything but your ignorance and narrow-mindedness. In the future quote me and don't paraphrase lest you reveal your lack of comprehension yet again.

Mech

Cipher
Txiasaeia said:
but that Deus Ex was closer to an RPG than MW,

I don't even need to type anything about that, simply quoting it shows what I mean, thats how obvious it is.

Sheriff05

Liturgist
Judas said:
the rest of the gaming world

See my other posts for analysis of that demographic.

Yet the majority of the foul language and temper-tantrums over the announcement seems to be coming from the regulars..

That's seems to me to be S.O.P over here against people trolling from other forums
why are you suprised? the reaction is totally legitimate, given the apparent leaking cesspool from the BS forums.

OH, and check all the new registires at the Bethesda forums. Are they dimwits, too?

Don't know, I wouldn't waste my time over there, I hang around here.

My god man, they haven't even released any actual GAME INFO, yet. Don't you think it's a tad too hasty to be declaring the end of Fallout? I suppose if Troika got the license they wouldn't be "milking" it, but rather "saving" it, right?

I'd be questionable of anyone that wasn't directly involved in the production of the first two games. Plus the shitty way the license was whored around leaves a bad taste
in my mouth. Like I said I wish they would just left the license alone, thats my take.

Mech

Cipher
Seven said:
Mech said:

So you said I was a guru, I said I wasn't, and that makes me a hypocrite? I've said it before and I'll say it again, you're a fucktard.

Also my arguments come accompanied with quotes from the primary source, from these I then draw conclusions. You're attempts at paraphrasing are piss-poor at best, and don't properly convey anything but your ignorance and narrow-mindedness. In the future quote me and don't paraphrase lest you reveal your lack of comprehension yet again.

It's okay seven there is no need to feel ashamed. I understand that what i typed was too long, and too hard to understand for someone of your reading level. Maybe in a few years you will actually be able to read the whole thing.

EDIT: "ignorance and narrow-mindedness" <-- the last time I checked, calling someone a "fucktard" as it were... is a good example of that. But it's okay, you can't have an intelligent conversation with someone.

Seven

Erudite
Mech said:
Txiasaeia said:

I don't even need to type anything about that, simply quoting it shows what I mean, thats how obvious it is.

"DX is closer to an RPG than MW". Wow, are you sure that you un-der-stand what he was say-ing? Geee, I suppose he could be a litte more obvious... NOT. Stupid idiot, why do you bother posting at all when you have nothing to add that comes remotely close to making sense?

Txiasaeia

Novice
Mech said:
Txiasaeia said:

I simply think that Deus Ex is the best "modern" (i.e. last few years) first-person RPG, and if Bethesda had to copy anything, they would do well to look at Deus Ex when designing FO3.

Mech

Cipher
Seven said:
Mech said:
Txiasaeia said:

"DX is closer to an RPG than MW". Wow, are you sure that you un-der-stand what he was say-ing? Geee, I suppose he could be a litte more obvious... NOT. Stupid idiot, why do you bother posting at all when you have nothing to add that comes remotely close to making sense?

It makes sense to everyone but you seven. You will understand what I mean someday, hell the orgininal poster did, and he is the one who said it.

Seven

Erudite
Mech said:
It's okay seven there is no need to feel ashamed. I understand that what i typed was too long, and too hard to understand for someone of your reading level. Maybe in a few years you will actually be able to read the whole thing.

EDIT: "ignorance and narrow-mindedness" <-- the last time I checked, calling someone a "fucktard" as it were... is a good example of that. But it's okay, you can't have an intelligent conversation with someone.

This is funny coming from you since it appears that you haven't read a thing either. And if I grow tired of reading your literary diarrhea, well no surprise there. As for me calling you a fucktard, well if the shoe fits wear it, but change is nice so I'll end by calling you a cuck-sucking-monkey-bitch.

Mech

Cipher
Seven said:
Mech said:

This is funny coming from you since it appears that you haven't read a thing either. And if I grow tired of reading your literary diarrhea, well no surprise there. As for me calling you a fucktard, well if the shoe fits wear it, but change is nice so I'll end by calling you a cuck-sucking-monkey-bitch.

IF you had happened to actually read my long post, you would have seen that I called you a hypocrite because you contradicted yourself. Not because of anything I said. So it's in fact you who has not read anything, and you are once again being a hypocrite. It's a circle it seems.

ichpokhudezh

Liturgist
Feargus Urquhart said:
I've always liked the phrase "Screaming at the wind." although some of you are turing the screaming into pissing - and for most of us that's not a lot of fun when it gets blown back in your face.
Feargus, I do respect you for diving into a hot flame war with your words of wisdom.
No offence, but you're better off worrying about KotOR 2 (which I expect to be at least better game than the first one and hope to exceed my expectations, but will probably end up buying anyway) rather than defending Bethesda's fuck ups.
They should have handled this transaction a-la Obsidian & Bio handled KotOR II in the beginning: cryptic brevity and sophisticated silence. And they should have instructed every employee (not just the PR staff) to err on the side of 'we're evaluating our options and community requests' with no relevant information given away.

So this shitstorm is mostly their own fault, imo.

Judas said:
Ironic, considering the rest of the gaming world laughs at you ("you" meaning the hardcore, angry Fallout community).

I dunno, judging by said specimens of the rest of the gaming world that wash up on our shores on a pretty regular basis to read us all the Riot Act, I ain't too impressed. Maybe I'm not the hardcore, angry Fallout community; like Sheriff05, Fallout is already dead to me, and I'm just in this for grins and maybe to winnow out a little of the chaff that's drifted in here. A $50 game that might come out in four years will surely provide less entertainment than our good old gladatorial arena, even if it's the best game evar. Most of the fun is to be had in the journey, not the destination. So dance, puppets, dance.

Yet the majority of the foul language and temper-tantrums over the announcement seems to be coming from the regulars...

Really? Most of the foul language and temper tantrums from the regulars that I've seen have against the n00b invasion. Defense of the home turf ain't always a pretty thing. Guess that's probably how the Bethesda guys feel, but, hey, screw them, they're getting paid to mouth off.

Seven

Erudite
Mech said:
Seven said:
Mech said:

IF you had happened to actually read my long post, you would have seen that I called you a hypocrite because you contradicted yourself. Not because of anything I said. So it's in fact you who has not read anything, and you are once again being a hypocrite. It's a circle it seems.

What do you close your eyes and just block things out when you read something that proves you wrong. I've backed up my points you've just hurled around words like guru and hypocrite. Where have I contradicted myself, and please do try and quote (full quotes) this time. Otherwise put your tail between your legs and piss off.

Mech

Cipher
ichpokhudezh said:
Feargus Urquhart said:
I've always liked the phrase "Screaming at the wind." although some of you are turing the screaming into pissing - and for most of us that's not a lot of fun when it gets blown back in your face.
Feargus, I do respect you for diving into a hot flame war with your words of wisdom.
No offence, but you're better off worrying about KotOR 2 (which I expect to be at least better game than the first one and hope to exceed my expectations, but will probably end up buying anyway) rather than defending Bethesda's fuck ups.
They should have handled this transaction a-la Obsisian & Bio handled KotOR II in the beginning: cryptic brevity and sophisticated silence. And they should have instructed every employee (not just the PR staff) to err on the side of 'we're evaluating our options and community requests' with no relevant information given away.

So you are blaming Bethesda for people acting stupid? Thats like saying it is a cops fault for getting shoting when he is chasing robber. That isn't very logical is it?

Mech

Cipher
Seven said:
Mech said:
Seven said:
Mech said:

What do you close your eyes and just block things out when you read something that proves you wrong. I've backed up my points you've just hurled around words like guru and hypocrite. Where have I contradicted myself, and please do try and quote (full quotes) this time. Otherwise put your tail between your legs and piss off.

Seven, you are the one closing your eyes and blocking things out when something proves you wrong. You never backed up your points that you weren't being a hypocrite. And where have you contradicted yourself? Read that long post were I said "Enough evidence for you?" I prove you contradicitng yourself right in those points, im sorry if you can't handle the truth, but there it is.

So now that I have cleared that up, is there anything else you would like to make false accusations about?

Edit: Ill make the contradiction part easy for you... The last 2 points of that post, the ones in quotation marks... Yes that means they are direct quotes. Just like you asked for.

Mech

Cipher
Walks with the Snails said:
Give it up or get a room, you two.

Aye aye, I plan to give it up pretty quick, seven just can't get his head around even the most basic of facts that I laid down for him on a silver platter, so it's starting to feel like talking to a brick wall.

Seven

Erudite
Mech said:

Aye aye, I plan to give it up pretty quick, seven just can't get his head around even the most basic of facts that I laid down for him on a silver platter, so it's starting to feel like talking to a brick wall.

Prove your point or piss off. The choice is easy.

Mech

Cipher
Seven said:
Mech said:

I already did 3 or so posts ago. So the choice is pretty easy, time to leave and get some sleep while you still try to grasp what I mean by this. Cya!, Don't blow a vien!

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
You know, the obvious thing is that so far, this has been a PR nightmare. Let's recap this thread's take on history to put it in perspective.

Interplay announced Fallout 3 after Bethesda passed over a check to them, which supposedly catches Bethesda with their pants down. I'm not even sure this is true because the press release I got was from Pete Hines himself rather than from Interplay. Pete Hines emailed several sites about this. If you even read the press release, it starts out with "Bethesda announces". Now, you can argue whether or not Interplay wanted this, but you really can't argue that it was Bethesda that did the announcement.

At this point, people start thinking about Morrowind and Pirates of the Caribbean, their two most recently released CRPGs. This tends to get a few people a little worried and they have some doubts about whether or not Bethesda will make a Fallout 3 similar to what Fallout and Fallout 2 were considering PotC and Morrowind are nothing like the Fallout CRPGs.

Bethesda then procedes to give three interviews with various big name sites about what's going on. In those interviews, you have snippets like, "We're not going to make a top down isometric game because that's not what we do best." and "We don't know if we're going to use SPECIAL or not." Right there, you remove a lot of doubts people had about what Bethesda is going to do with Fallout.

Fans react, and not just the vocal hardcore people that every wants to think this is. I've been around the Fallout community for years now - since 2001. I've never even seen a lot of these people, and they're reacting negatively. But the point is, these people reacted because those interviews basically confirmed their fears. Before those fears were confirmed, it was pretty much a wait and see thing for a lot of people. Some people reacted quickly and violently before this, but after the interviews, more people reacted because they had ammunition.

So, next up, you have Bethesda folks also reacting to the fans reacting, and that's not pretty at all either. That only fuels the fire of the fans that much more. Really, this kind of thing is not going to stop because the fans won't stop on their own. There's no hive mind governing them nor any control in place to stop the lot of them. Bethesda on the other hand could tell their people to keep a tighter lip on what their people are saying, because that's what's really fueling this right now.

In hindsight, Bethesda probably shouldn't have announced. We can say that maybe, just maybe Interplay forced them to announce. That's fine and dandy. It's possible given that Interplay needed something good to show it's shareholders. However, Pete Hines did give those interviews to people, as did Todd Howard. Those are clearly the fault of Bethesda. Interplay can't force them to give interviews.

Sure, people have reacted poorly to this, but that's to be expected considering the history of dealing with the Fallout franchise. It's been a dumping ground for quickie buck titles since the turn of the decade. However, Bethesda employee's reaction to the situation is very, very poor and hardly constructive. In fact, it's very destructive.

What I'm basically saying is this is a viscious cycle right now, and there's really no way to get one side to stop, the larger side with no controlling body in place to tell them to stop. Fallout fans won't stop, but the Bethesda people could stop themselves or be told to stop doing things like what triggered this news item. All that does is fuel resentment.

ichpokhudezh

Liturgist
Mech said:
ichpokhudezh said:
So you are blaming Bethesda for people acting stupid? Thats like saying it is a cops fault for getting shoting when he is chasing robber. That isn't very logical is it?
a. Mech, before you assign all your resources to flaming me, please, look up the word 'provoke' in a dictionary
b. FYI, you're using a bulshitter's favorite tactic: you build your own illogical model and debate it instead of my original words.

Shevek

Arcane
Ah, the fireworks are flying, I see. Well, here goes my two cents (which have probably been expressed to some degree by now...).

I think more people would have given Bethesda a small chance or heard them out or whatever if on the first day they didnt come out and flat out declare they wont be going isometric since they have no experience with it. That leads any half intelligent gamer to ask - what else that the FO fanbase expects in a sequel does Bethesda have no experience in (again, qualitative judgements need not even come up)? The list is fairly long and this is why you are getting this kind of reaction expressed. Clearly, an early declaration of some respect for the property rather than what was said would have sparked more intelligent discussion.

Secondly, the devs comments reflect a disconnect with what has been said. Few are really bringing up the issues of TES enemies appearing in a FO world. Though some may very well fear these kinds of foibles, the core of the gripes come from fans with well founded concerns regarding the GAMEPLAY. Frankly, I doubt this guy has read much of these gripes and is, instead, just coming out giving the regular company schtick (yada yada yada, they are extreme, nothing to see here, they are just BethBashing, yada yada yada...).

I think its obvious why the company has taken this stance. They cannot get on good terms with this fanbase because they will not be crafting a true FO sequel. Instead, we will get something radically different and, as such, it is in their best interests to marginalize all criticisms of their work. "Dont listen to them, theyre trolls, nerds, trolling nerds.." This sort of thing hasnt worked in the past against us at the Codex and I doubt it will work now.

I had some respect for Bethesda since I really liked some of thier past work. Some of their Terminator games were pretty fun and, though some may disagree, I liked Daggerfall. That being said, them trying to cash in on the FO license then snubbing community concerns like this brings them a couple notches down.

Anywho, lets hope they dont screw the pooch too badly on this one.

Archeopterix

Novice
Sarkile said:
Wouldn't a better business decision be having a clue about what you're going to do with a game when you buy the license? If they can't even tell us if it'll use SPECIAL or not they're doing something wrong.

Yeah well they might have a clue but they aren't gonna tell anyone because that's not how its don'e in the game industry. Been that way since the dawn of comuter games. Anyone who might know (if there is indeed something to know) is gonna be chin deep in nondisclosure agreements. We're all just going to have to hold tight until there's something tangible to announce to the public, when they decide to.

Seven

Erudite
Mech said:
Seven said:
Mech said:

I already did 3 or so posts ago. So the choice is pretty easy, time to leave and get some sleep while you still try to grasp what I mean by this. Cya!, Don't blow a vien!

If you did then just repost it because I haven't seen anything that remotely resembles what you describe, so put up or shut up.

EDIT: notice that whenever you brought up any point I quickly addressed it, now I ask you to prove your point (some thing that you claim to have done), and all of a sudden you won't, why? BECAUSE YOU CAN'T. End of discussion you lose, get used to it.

Mech

Cipher
ichpokhudezh said:
Mech said:
ichpokhudezh said:
a. Mech, before you assign all your resources to flaming me, please, look up the word 'provoke' in a dictionary
b. FYI, you're using a bulshitter's favorite tactic: you build your own illogical model and debate it instead of my original words.

A.) Im not flaming you, I simply flamed seven because he doesn't think things through rationally or logically.
B.) My explenation is perfectly logical, it is yours that is not.
"Thats like saying it is a cops fault for getting shoting when he is chasing robber."
^- That is exactly like what you are saying. It isn't logical and if you can prove to me that it IS logical, then I really do want to hear it.

Mech

Cipher
Seven said:
EDIT: notice that whenever you brought up any point I quickly addressed it, now I ask you to prove your point (some thing that you claim to have done), and all of a sudden you won't, why? BECAUSE YOU CAN'T. End of discussion you lose, get used to it.

Unfourtuantly I wasn't able to go to bed, so I guess I will answer this one last time before I try to actually go to sleep.

First off "notice that whenever you brought up any point I quickly addressed it"
Calling me a fucktard iand bring up random statements is not "addressing" the point.

Second off... "now I ask you to prove your point (some thing that you claim to have done), and all of a sudden you won't"
I told you clearly and purposefully that my point was proven along time ago.. but since you are having such an amazingly hard time reading, I will rewrite those two lines for you.

You said you weren't talking like a guru
You then went on to assume that Falllout 3 will NOT be turnbased.
So by making that assumption you are talking like a guru and you are thereforce being a hypocrite.

Im sorry but I can't explain it any clearer then that. If you can't understand something so incrediably simple then im afraid it is immpossible to explain it to you any clearer.

BTW " End of discussion you lose, get used to it." Yes I did (as long as it makes you feel better)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom