Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Bethesda developer on the FO fans reaction

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
LOL Are you blind? Or do you purpsoely ignore my posts or was I imaginating Tri throwing insults at an imposter Volourn in this very thread? WOWSERS!

As for what I've been doing, remember when I said, "I quit!" when Bethesda started destroying one of my favorite games? well.. I meant it. i did quit. What iq uit, ONLY I know. :shock:

And, oh, Dogmeat, still sucks. :twisted:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Whom are you talking to or bitching at, btw? Anyway...

Volourn said:
I meant it. i did quit. What iq uit, ONLY I know.
Not another mystary! We still haven't agreed on what you are, and now you go and quit something! Lucky for us it wasn't spamming internet forums :wink: :lol:

PS. Dogmeat does not suck, you animal hater you!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Umm.. let me count the numbers here..

1. Tri for being full of himself suggesting that it was impossible or some 'lame design decision' that made it (supposedly) impossible to complete FO without having npc dying depsite the fact that both Eldar and I have claimed to do so. And, weren't not the only ones. Ohw ell. Besdies, hard to take someone who thinks rping = tb combat. LOL

2. The people who are worried about 'vanishing' from posting when I've been posting in this thread. LMAO

3. The people who fake being 'worried' when we all know they'd be happy if I left.

NEWSFLASH: I'm not some Bethesda fanboy. i ain;t gonna cry to mummy when the big (and small) boys cry to me about their precious views.
4. Anyone who thinks Dogmeat is a good npc, and espicially those who actually think he's the best.

WOW! Now, that's a rant. LOL :P

"Not another mystary!"

Not really.. how can it be a mystery when I know what it is? :cool:

Vault Dweller

Developer
That's quite a rant you've got there, Volly. You nailed 4 groups at once, sure showed them. Keep up the good work, mystary boy! :)

Vault Dweller

Developer
Yep, I've decided to turn your very own weapon against you :shock: :twisted:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
How dare ya! :x :wink:

SPAM: My secret has been revealed on this very message board of all places. I'll get my revenge on that rat... oops, said rat is me....

Jed

Cipher
Greenskin13 said:
How specific do you think these orders should get? I was playing with the idea of giving direct orders to your party members, but it would be up to them whether they follow it or not. This would be like Close Combat, where your men would not follow orders if they were under too much fire. Here, we would look at their personalities to see if they obey or not.
I'd like to see it based on charisma and a leadership skill. I also like having that stat and that skill mitigated by the personalities of the JNPCs: rebellious ones that ignore you, psycho ones that do crazy shit, stupid ones that listen to you but get the order wrong somehow--hell, even noble ones that might take a bullet for you or another JNPC.

Also, perhaps having either more intelligence might give more commands, or maybe you learn new ones as you level up, or learn them in special encounters or from NPCs you may or may not meet.

By the by, DOGMEAT IS THE BEST NPC EVAR! That pup saved my life more times than I had to reload to save his, especially early in the game. Title for keeping Dogmeat alive throughout the game should be "Dog's best friend."

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"I'd like to see it based on charisma and a leadership skill. I also like having that stat and that skill mitigated by the personalities of the JNPCs: rebellious ones that ignore you, psycho ones that do crazy shit, stupid ones that listen to you but get the order wrong somehow--hell, even noble ones that might take a bullet for you or another JNPC. "

Great idea. :cool: I love this sort of thing.

"Title for keeping Dogmeat alive throughout the game should be "Dog's best friend.""

Heh. That's a keeper. Still don't like Dogmeat much; but alas certain others do...

Eldar

Novice
I loved the little pup. I hated keeping him alive. ...And, make no mistake, after the mid-game it was all about keeping Dogmeat alive. I would have kept him in my party every time if he weren't such a pain in the ass to keep alive and barking.

I'd like to have a joinable NPC cat. Yes, it could be named Catmeat and catch cave rats for you.

Now, as for Bethesda, I hated every joinable NPC in Morrowind. My reason? First person perspective and non too smart NPCs just didn't match. I'd rather go through Fallout 3 without anyone joining than have the same sorts of people joining as I did in Boringwind.

If they use the same sort of set-up, assuming I buy the game, I won't take any NPCs along.

Greenskin13

Erudite
Wiping the dirt from my hands as I walk from the grave.

Eldar said:
I'd like to have a joinable NPC cat. Yes, it could be named Catmeat and catch cave rats for you.

That... that's too cute.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Eldar said:
I hated every joinable NPC in Morrowind.
There were joinable NPCs? I thought there were just all those "look after me and I'll give you the bestest item evar" quests.

Greenskin13

Erudite
Maybe she's born with it.

xJEDx said:
I'd like to see it based on charisma and a leadership skill. I also like having that stat and that skill mitigated by the personalities of the JNPCs: rebellious ones that ignore you, psycho ones that do crazy shit, stupid ones that listen to you but get the order wrong somehow--hell, even noble ones that might take a bullet for you or another JNPC.

That's what I was thinking, plus with what Reklar said about past experience factoring in to see if they obey or not. I was also thinking if you should dicipline them if they disobey your order. Just a punch to the face or a kick in the groin. It could put them in line, but then they may take an oppurtunity to shoot you in the back when you're weak. I don't know if that will streamline very well with the rest of the game though.

I can totally see a noble JNPC moving infront of my character and saying 'Get behind me, boss!', only to explode in a hail of bullets, flushing me with guilt forever.

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
Dogmeat in real time would just be a mess, first off.
Second, wouldn't it be fun if Dogmeat could meet a lady dog somewhere in the course of the game, and have some puppies... either during the game, or as a special ending montage.

Reklar

Liturgist
Re: Maybe she's born with it.

Greenskin13 said:
xJEDx said:

That's what I was thinking, plus with what Reklar said about past experience factoring in to see if they obey or not. I was also thinking if you should dicipline them if they disobey your order. Just a punch to the face or a kick in the groin. It could put them in line, but then they may take an oppurtunity to shoot you in the back when you're weak. I don't know if that will streamline very well with the rest of the game though.

I can totally see a noble JNPC moving infront of my character and saying 'Get behind me, boss!', only to explode in a hail of bullets, flushing me with guilt forever.

The only question I have about our suggestions would be is it possible with the scripting capabilites available in engines nowdays? My guess would be yes, considering the scripting I've seen in games like Fallout, Planescape: Torment, and Arcanum, but even if it is technically possible is it reasonable to assume anyone would be willing to do it? From what I've heard about Morrowind the answer would be a resounding no unfortunately. The very possibility of a gaming experience as realistic as the example you provided above though, Greenskin13, makes me giddy with excitement. :lol:

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Eldar

Novice
DarkUnderlord said:
Eldar said:
I hated every joinable NPC in Morrowind.
There were joinable NPCs? I thought there were just all those "look after me and I'll give you the bestest item evar" quests.

Yep, that's all I saw. Still, they join you and shoot at bad guys and get in trouble and slow you down and.... ugh. I hated them so much I stopped taking quests that resulted in anyone joining me.

Greenskin13

Erudite
Maybe it's Maybelline.

Reklar said:
The only question I have about our suggestions would be is it possible with the scripting capabilites available in engines nowdays? My guess would be yes, considering the scripting I've seen in games like Fallout, Planescape: Torment, and Arcanum, but even if it is technically possible is it reasonable to assume anyone would be willing to do it? From what I've heard about Morrowind the answer would be a resounding no unfortunately. The very possibility of a gaming experience as realistic as the example you provided above though, Greenskin13, makes me giddy with excitement. :lol:

My one real concern with it is that it will not fit well with the game. If they make the combat really grand but the rest of the game lackluster, it wouldn't work. At least for Fallout. I think this is what happened with Temple of Elemental Evil, so I would only like to see combat this sophisticated if it was placed in a game where the other aspects of the game were equally developed. I would really love to see it possible that your character could bond with JNPCs the way the Nameless One did with his companions, both with positive and negative relations. It's probably a pipe dream to see this type of game ever made, but I'm wishful.

Nutcracker

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
Hayt wrote:

To the folks asking us to not make Fallout just like Morrowind:
Gee, thanks. We never would've thought of that, had you not mentioned it. I was already writing up design docs that included entire plot lines about cliffracers; I guess maybe now I'll get rid of those, thanks to your quick thinking.

Oblivion FTW

LaDoushe

Scholar
I was a little pissed when I found out that the SA thread had long ago gone to the archives. Damn necromancy!

HardCode

Erudite
These comments by HayT, paired with the recent comments by Pete "360" Hines, fully justify bringing Bethesda's words of July 2004 back to April 2006. Let's see the Bethesda bullshit fly around again.

elander_

Arbiter
HayT is clearly attacking this site to provoque reactions of the trolls against it. Tsk tsk tought Bethesda knew better than playing these dirty tricks. I see two reasons for this attack. First they must fear this site a lot since they even forbid MSFD to post in here. If looks like some words here are hiting a nerve in Bethesda people because they are true. Second they aren't willing to answer questions. They may hide the important details and will keep the press flooded with screens and misinformation until the end. They know they only have to make a game that is fun for the first days of playing even if it starts getting completely repetitive and dull after that.

Bethesda objective is selling as much as they can. They are heartless and i don't think they care the least for what Fallout represents as one of the best crpgs ever made. Their objective is the mainstream, that is, people who are casual or new to games, don't have a clue about crpgs or Fallout and have very low quality standards mostly console biased.

So in coclusion they deserve no charity or trust and unless they don't try to play their agressive marketing dirty tricks and answer fundamental questions about the gameplay they deserve it all right up their asses.

Cimmerian Nights

Liturgist
F03, you're nothing to me now. You're not a brother, you're not a friend. I don't want to know you or what you do. I don't want to see you at the hotels, I don't want you near my house. When you see our mother, I want to know a day in advance, so I won't be there. You understand?

Someone please put a bullet in FO3 and bury it allready.

Briosafreak

Augur
elander those words from the Beth guy were from two years ago, on a diferent context.

Hmmm but i wonder what he would say now?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom