Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Bethesda developer on the FO fans reaction

Voss

Erudite
As long as we're all clear on that.

RGE- insanse people are more fun. Sane people are simply... dull.

AlanC9

Liturgist
RGE said:
Going back to the restaurant analogy, the best option might be to offer mayo on the side. But what if certain other guests don't like the lettuce? Or the tomato? Or the cheese? Offer enough ingredients on the side, and it'll almost be like making your own burger. Yup, that'd be much like the NWN Toolset - you get to pick and choose, but your options are limited. And I have yet to see anyone make something as good as Fallout.

Sure, nobody's made Fallout in NWN, but have professionals done any better lately?

@triCritical. So the FO1 NPCs are supposed to die? Wow. No wonder I hated the endgame -- I thought the combat/noncombat balance had just fallen apart, but really it's just because I was playing it wrong.

You guys who kept them alive, how'd you do it?

Jed

Cipher
"Wait here."

I think it'd be cool if combat postures are included, you could issue a general command like, "Hit the deck!" and your AI-controlled NPCs would drop to prone. Maybe general commands would be a nice compromise in general.

Reklar

Liturgist
Is it unusual for someone to read what you post and agree, Role-Player? :lol:

Generally speaking, I lurk a great deal more than I post because someone else has already stated (and ofttimes better) my opinion or thoughts on the subject, so it seems redundant for me to post. In this particular instance I agree with Role-Player and Saint Proverbius (which I almost always do oddly enough) completely and with folks such as DarkUnderlord, Seven, xJEDx, and others to some degree or another. The exception to my posting rule usually occurs when I attempt to explain something to a troll/spammer, or it's something I figure I can elaborate on because I understand the topic. For the most part though I just enjoy reading everyone else's scathing replies to trolls/spammers and insights into the cRPG genre. :)

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Greenskin13

Erudite
I forgot to add something clever here.

xJEDx said:
"Wait here."

I think it'd be cool if combat postures are included, you could issue a general command like, "Hit the deck!" and your AI-controlled NPCs would drop to prone. Maybe general commands would be a nice compromise in general.

How specific do you think these orders should get? I was playing with the idea of giving direct orders to your party members, but it would be up to them whether they follow it or not. This would be like Close Combat, where your men would not follow orders if they were under too much fire. Here, we would look at their personalities to see if they obey or not.

Reklar

Liturgist
That sounds like what JE Sawyer said he was doing with Van Buren if I recall correctly. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to such a party control implementation, provided other factors were taken into consideration with the NPC's personality, such as how long they've been with you and how successful your orders have proved to be in past encounters. If the NPC hasn't known you for very long they should be more skeptical of your role as leader and less likely to obey you, especially if they tend towards a more anarchist personality. Also, if your orders in the past have led to them getting shot or other undesirable outcomes they should be less likely to agree with you. If something like this could be implemented I would be duly impressed, considering the level of NPC AI required for such realistic behavior.

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

triCritical

Erudite
Volourn said:
"Why do you always extrapolate your situation to the entire world? I have seen people intimate with the development say on more then one occasion that they NPC's were an early crutch never intended to live."

Why do you think what the dvelopers intended to do is supposed to make me bow down and agree with them? if their intention was to make NPCs hopelessly dead at the End Game tm; they did a miserable job of deisgning it. Quiet frabkly, it was easy to do so. even Dogmeat with some quick stepping can be kept alive - not that i cared to.

And, i don't care if people who are having sex with developers say differently. They're irrelavnt to my experience. Bottom line is joinable npcs ENHANCES role-playing.

This point is undisputable. Then again, your idea of role-playing is rping = tb combat so your opinion on the matter of role-playing is irrelevant.

Period.

P.S. Cry some more about what 'developers intended' 'cause it means so little after the game is released. That's any developer, btw.

Nevermind I believe that your full of shit, because if you choose combat its almost impossible to keep yourself alive much less NPC's with FO's broken crit system. And thats right your NPC"s had no armor additional to whatever they came with. And if you choose to use disguise then what do you do? Well you can take your NPC's... sorry.

Not leveling up, having minimal control over NPC's, etc... not to mention not being able to do many in game things with NPC's sort of point to developers not really counting on NPC's making it.

--->.<--- (BTW, that is a period too)

triCritical

Erudite
AlanC9 said:
@triCritical. So the FO1 NPCs are supposed to die? Wow. No wonder I hated the endgame -- I thought the combat/noncombat balance had just fallen apart, but really it's just because I was playing it wrong.

Suppose to is not a good word, sorry if I used it. More like they were not expected to live... Hell why not let them wear robes, and use disguise etc... if they were?

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Reklar said:

Thats more or less the story of my life. And when people do agree with me, there are very high chances i'm proven wrong later on... which just lessens the ratio of initial agreement on future ocasions :P

plin

Liturgist
triCritical said:
AlanC9 said:

Suppose to is not a good word, sorry if I used it. More like they were not expected to live... Hell why not let them wear robes, and use disguise etc... if they were?

Maybe because they didn't have time to add everything they wanted to? :shock:

Reklar

Liturgist
Role-Player said:
Reklar said:

Thats more or less the story of my life. And when people do agree with me, there are very high chances i'm proven wrong later on... which just lessens the ratio of initial agreement on future ocasions :P

Better that than being ignored completely. That's how I feel sometimes. ;)

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Where is fun when people agree with you? I had a couple of nicely heated discussions with Role-Player, now that was fun. Also I miss the time when ToEE was released and I argued with Volourn constantly about it. Hey, Volourn, we need something to argue about! Say something! :)

As for being ignored completely, Reklar, what do you expect when you agree with most people? :) Disagree with them, call them names, and you are going to be very popular before you know it. :lol:

Vault Dweller

Developer
Dogmeat was the best NPC ever. I wish Volourn had at least half of Dogmeat's personality, he/she/it would have been a much better human being/fembot/spam program then.

Reklar

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Where is fun when people agree with you? I had a couple of nicely heated discussions with Role-Player, now that was fun. Also I miss the time when ToEE was released and I argued with Volourn constantly about it. Hey, Volourn, we need something to argue about! Say something! :)

As for being ignored completely, Reklar, what do you expect when you agree with most people? :) Disagree with them, call them names, and you are going to be very popular before you know it. :lol:

Good point, Vault Dweller, though it's not always the case on the other boards I'm used to so I supposed it's just a case of shifting my mindset when I visit the Codex. I'll just have to remember to go into argumentative mode from now on. :lol:

Dogmeat was the best NPC, he didn't accidentally bite you, he stayed off the couch and generally provided more moral support than any other NPC in Fallout. Volourn must be a dog hater. :D

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Reklar

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Dogmeat was the best NPC ever. I wish Volourn had at least half of Dogmeat's personality, he/she/it would have been a much better human being/fembot/spam program then.

How did you guys know Volourn was female anyway? Is it posted somewhere for general information purposes? Is it the same Volourn that spammed the Black Isle boards back in the days when Throne of Bhaal was new? If so, I'd have to agree with you on the spamminess, Vault Dweller. ;) Volourn never held a candle to Karzak or Gromnir for titanic thread battles though, so I guess there are limits to her(?) capabilities. :D

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Vault Dweller

Developer
Reklar said:
though it's not always the case on the other boards I'm used to so I supposed it's just a case of shifting my mindset when I visit the Codex.
The other boards suck. We cultivate the freedom of speech here, as long as you can support your position and back it up when things get heated.

How did you guys know Volourn was female anyway?
Well, Volourn got really bored one day and started dropping hints that he was in fact a she.

Is it the same Volourn that spammed the Black Isle boards back in the days when Throne of Bhaal was new?
Yep, definitely sounds like Volourn :)

If so, I'd have to agree with you on the spamminess
What have I told you about agreeing with people? :lol:

Reklar

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Reklar said:
though it's not always the case on the other boards I'm used to so I supposed it's just a case of shifting my mindset when I visit the Codex.
The other boards suck. We cultivate the freedom of speech here, as long as you can support your position and back it up when things get heated.

You're certainly welcome to your opinion and I have noticed the behavior you mention here at the Codex, but antagonism isn't essential to argument or discussion so I can't agree that the only format supporting freedom of speech is one used here. I do find the flamefests amusing sometimes though, so I continue to visit the board. :D

Vault Dweller said:
Reklar said:
How did you guys know Volourn was female anyway?
Well, Volourn got really bored one day and started dropping hints that he was in fact a she.

Volourn gets bored quite often then doesn't she? Either that or she's really using the various boards she visits as a sociology experiment for her doctorate in Human Relations. :lol:

Vault Dweller said:
Reklar said:
Is it the same Volourn that spammed the Black Isle boards back in the days when Throne of Bhaal was new?
Yep, definitely sounds like Volourn :)

If so, I'd have to agree with you on the spamminess
What have I told you about agreeing with people? :lol:

What can I say, I like to agree with people who share my opinions? :shock: :lol: About the only people I've seriously disagreed with lately are the trolls, and I've replied to a few of them and they don't pay any attention anyway so why bother? I guess I should join in though so I can increase my post count. ;)

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Transcendent One

Liturgist
Where is Volourn anyways? Haven't seen her in a while. Did she go on vacation again? Maybe she was so saddened by Bethesda acquiring Fallout that she decided to quit gaming. Maybe she decided to model her life after Visceris'. Maybe she died. So many possibilities...

Eldar

Novice
okay, Tri, quit being a jackass. I kept every NPC I had the game alive every time I played. How? reloads, mostly. It was an RPG, and I just didn't stomach seeing my friends bite it. Whether you think it's a cheesy way to play or not, that's the long and short of it.

Futhermore, I often told my friends to hang in the rear while I went ahead and cleared out the area. Why have NPCs at all? Because it's a role-playing game. You can't have it both ways. You can't laud Fallout because it's a real role-playing game and then assume folks aren't fond of the damned role-playing elements.

Now, as for Dogmeat, I had him in my party roughly half of the times I played. When he was in my party, he lived EVERY TIME. That meant a lot of reloads.... After I cut the bastard who killed my fucking dog in half and urinated on his steaming corpse. God, there should have been a reward for keeping your dog alive in the game. Playtime? The reloads alone multiplied play time by three.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
People are morons.

P.S. if you didn't get the subtlety, THAT was a troll. :twisted:

Vault Dweller

Developer
Hey, Volourn, you are alive!!!! and trolling !!!! :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom