Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Best space 4X

Best space 4X

• Master of Orion 2

• Alpha Centauri

• Star Control 2

• Emperor of the Fading Suns

• Stellaris

• Endless Space

• Interstellar Space: Genesis

• Distant Worlds

• Galactic Civilizations

• Star Trek: Birth of the Federation

• Sins of a Solar Empire

• Age of Wonders Planetfall

• Warhammer 40k Gladius

• Star Ruler

• Ascendancy

• Imperium Galactica II

• Sword of the Stars

Results are only viewable after voting.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
added all those. u can change vote

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Sometimes less is more.
For example the smaller combat screen makes ship combat less tedious. Also, less micro-management.
But I guess I need to give MoO2 another chance some time.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Space strategies should be about micro management. And research. And management of empire. And doing detailed space combat.

Raapys

Arcane
MoO1 is different enough that it's not a straight forward call. The biggest advantage MoO2 has is the excellent music and visuals, but gameplay wise I often find myself wanting the first game. It's a more compact package of the same basic elements.

EotFS could have been the best one, and probably would have if it'd been made by the MoO devs. The gameplay is too unrefined and messy to compete with the best though, and the AI is not gonna offer any challenge at all. Maybe if you doubled the development time it would have realized its potential.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
No Master of Orion 1?

This poll was made by a fag. No offence luj1. However you don't know what you are talking about here. MoO is a very different game from MoO2 in terms of design priorities and it plays differently.

Also laughing at Star Control 2. You usually add a KC option as the last one. You should know that.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
MOO 1 was massive oversimplification with BIG tradeoffs caused by lack of RAM.

Also No space empires IV and V? And no Imperium Galactica 2?

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
TBH fam when you say "space 4x" I think of a game where you have space ships and build a multi-planet/system/sector empire. I genuinly wonder why is Gladius included in here (I guess for the same reason that SMAC is) - if you want to have it in such a poll you should add Shadow Empire (also a single planet sci-fi 4x) which is roughly milion times more complex and much better (it is also better than SMAC, but people dont wont to hear it so w/e), though I would probably change the name to sci-fi 4x or something, it doesnt feel right to me to put games like SMAC and MoO2 into the same cathegory (it feels kinda like saying that FreeSpace 2 and Doom are to be in the same cathegory because they are both technically first person).

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
TBH fam when you say "space 4x" I think of a game where you have space ships and build a multi-planet/system/sector empire. I genuinly wonder why is Gladius included in here (I guess for the same reason that SMAC is) - if you want to have it in such a poll you should add Shadow Empire (also a single planet sci-fi 4x) which is roughly milion times more complex and much better (it is also better than SMAC, but people dont wont to hear it so w/e), though I would probably change the name to sci-fi 4x or something, it doesnt feel right to me to put games like SMAC and MoO2 into the same cathegory (it feels kinda like saying that FreeSpace 2 and Doom are to be in the same cathegory because they are both technically first person).

Agreed, it always strikes me as odd that people consider Civ and Master of Orion the same genre. Kind of like how Tomb Raider and Space Quest are both "adventures" now.

And how in the ever loving fuckness is SC2 a 4X??

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How is 2 not better? It has more of everything
That is the main issue actually. MOO2 has more of everythinhg which makes you spending way too much time on the colony screens instead of taking empire wide decisions.

It has a lot of "cooler stuff" to produce and research, but it can easily turn into micromanagement hell, especially if you want to optimize (which you need to do in MP).

Endemic

Arcane
It has a lot of "cooler stuff" to produce and research, but it can easily turn into micromanagement hell, especially if you want to optimize (which you need to do in MP).

The 1.5 fanpatch fixes some of that (hotkey-based build lists, for example). Remnants of the Precursors goes further, by asking you if you want to build a new improvement everywhere immediately after it is researched.

Going with Sins. Maybe not the best lore-wise (though it was reasonably good in that regard) but the best gameplay-wise.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
And the poll lacks Imperium Galactica II. C'mon how can you forget on one of few games that also includes controllable ground combat, and planet surface buildings?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Sword of the Stars
Sword of the Stars has:
1. Great space combat.
2. Tech tree that AUTOGENERATES itself at the start, thus it's bit different for each playthrough.
3. UTTERLY shitty oversimplified economy. Basically there is no empire building, only expansion.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The 1.5 fanpatch fixes some of that (hotkey-based build lists, for example). Remnants of the Precursors goes further, by asking you if you want to build a new improvement everywhere immediately after it is researched.
Remnants of the precursor is inspired by Moo1 more than 2 if I recall.
Despite being the same series, they have a quote different focus.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom