Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Best space 4X

Best space 4X

• Master of Orion 2

• Alpha Centauri

• Star Control 2

• Emperor of the Fading Suns

• Stellaris

• Endless Space

• Interstellar Space: Genesis

• Distant Worlds

• Galactic Civilizations

• Star Trek: Birth of the Federation

• Sins of a Solar Empire

• Age of Wonders Planetfall

• Warhammer 40k Gladius

• Star Ruler

• Ascendancy

• Imperium Galactica II

• Sword of the Stars

Results are only viewable after voting.

Max Damage

Savant
Voted Imprerium Galactica 2 because that's the one I remember playing and enjoying the most, MoO 2 I remember getting voted into victory despite doing basically nothing to earn it (from my point of view). Also, poll has MoO 2 but not first one, then has first Endless Space but not sequel? I mostly enjoy ES 2 so far, but only Beyond Earth has worse tech tree, at least trying to read and remember the whole picture of incremental upgrades and requirements. I'd also vote AC, but I think it's more general sci-fi than space 4x since you don't leave the planet.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
space empires iv is good. very atmospheric, very customizable, good amount of depth that's almost comparable to aurora. space empires is not nearly as autistic as aurora, but it's close

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
space empires iv is good. very atmospheric, very customizable, good amount of depth that's almost comparable to aurora. space empires is not nearly as autistic as aurora, but it's close
You obviously never played aurora.

Curratum

Given that Endless Space 2 is the only space 4x that I was able to enjoy at all, I'd vote for that :D

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Actually is SE IV better than V? I remember it had shitty interface and bad graphic.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
if you want to have it in such a poll you should add Shadow Empire (also a single planet sci-fi 4x) which is roughly milion times more complex and much better (it is also better than SMAC, but people dont wont to hear it so w/e),

What in the fuck did you just say.
How can a 4X be better than SMAC?
Elaborate!

Yeah, this is what I talked about heh...

Shadow Empire has massive amount of detail invested into pretty much every aspect (though you could say diplomacy is a bit weak), you can create your own cabinet from people with stats that both matter and develop over time, you can set detailed policies both on the state, province and municipal level. you get to build vast planet-wide infrastructure systems that can bankrupt you if you dont pay attention to what is happening, there is the sense of exploration as you discover ancient artefacts or even alien lifeforms, there is detailed warfare with hostile factions that actively try to cut your supply lines... it sure has its flaws but IMO it outperforms SMAC where it matters.

I realise that SMAC is great game and it gets even better when looked at through the nostalgia glasses, but I am ready to say it was outmatched.

Try and see

Demo.Graph

Liturgist
Shadow Empire has massive amount of detail invested into pretty much every aspect
That often leads to excessive micromanagement.
(though you could say diplomacy is a bit weak)
A very British understatement, to say the least.
you can create your own cabinet from people with stats that both matter and develop over time
Only they don't (matter, because half the skills are useless and you can't really affect the meeples' development, so no Sims/CK for you). But you'll be able to enjoy glorious DF-style character generation and see ingenious streetfighters leading research institutions and gritty female generals.
you can set detailed policies both on the state, province and municipal level
If you dare to brave the obnoxious UI and like to play rock-paper-scissors with Social Engineering sliders (about third of which does nothing, because main dev is too lazy to finish them for years).
you get to build vast planet-wide infrastructure systems that can bankrupt you if you dont pay attention to what is happening
Also have fun razing your rail network to build mag tubes, because they can't be placed in one hex.
there is the sense of exploration as you discover ancient artefacts or even alien lifeforms
Experience goody huts and barbarians like never before! Again!
there is detailed warfare with hostile factions that actively try to cut your supply lines...
If only they were able to debelop and don't get steamrolled by tank rush in almost every game ever.
it sure has its flaws but IMO it outperforms SMAC where it matters.
For example you don't need to bother with aviation, because your spies are much more effective, don't depend on infrastructure and you can spam whole planet with them for a marginal cost.
I realise that SMAC is great game and it gets even better when looked at through the nostalgia glasses, but I am ready to say it was outmatched.
By the amount of bugs!
Try and see
Fascinating.
Indeed.
Actually, I've really liked SE. But it's as polished as EoFS ever was. "Currently in early beta stage."
E.g. several months ago lead dev made a poll asking players whether they use one of the unit chassis at all. Well, at least he listens to the community.

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
MoO2 for space 4X and Alpha Centauri for classic sf-themed 4X. Guess that wasn't the most original answer, but I liked most of these games tbh. It's very difficult to fuck up a classic 4X formula so bad that your game becomes plain shit. Unless you're nu-firaxis, of course.

ES2 is the best of the new ones, but after first dlc it went downhill pretty fast and hard and is now a buggy, unfun mess.

civac2

Novice
Alpha Centauri is absolutely teeming with bugs too. The AI is incapable of playing it properly. Let's not go overboard.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I remember when atuomatic combat shown ships firing these BIG POWERFUL BEAMS in close combat, and it looked right. It even required to close distance so there was a trade off when using them. I kinda remember version of ES2 where beams are no longer representing powerful weapons.

Downgrade.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
if you want to have it in such a poll you should add Shadow Empire (also a single planet sci-fi 4x) which is roughly milion times more complex and much better (it is also better than SMAC, but people dont wont to hear it so w/e),

What in the fuck did you just say.
How can a 4X be better than SMAC?
Elaborate!

Yeah, this is what I talked about heh...

Shadow Empire has massive amount of detail invested into pretty much every aspect (though you could say diplomacy is a bit weak), you can create your own cabinet from people with stats that both matter and develop over time, you can set detailed policies both on the state, province and municipal level. you get to build vast planet-wide infrastructure systems that can bankrupt you if you dont pay attention to what is happening, there is the sense of exploration as you discover ancient artefacts or even alien lifeforms, there is detailed warfare with hostile factions that actively try to cut your supply lines... it sure has its flaws but IMO it outperforms SMAC where it matters.

Try and see

Fascinating.

I will try this Shadow Empire game on your recommendation and see what is up with it.

Outperforming SMAC, a bold claim... we shall see...

Heard all the best about Shadow Empire... know a few grogs who swear by it

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In multiplayer, I think board game adaptations work better, as the games don't last too long for player to stop caring. I really like Space Empires 4X on Vassal (for its fog of war rules). I wish there were other streamlined options.
Neptune's Pride turn based also worked well(RT version requires too much no lifing for my tastes), but it was more about diplomacy and backtabb than anything else.

I tried MOO2, but having to wait for other players to resolve their battles killed it for us.
Space Empires 4 doesn't suffer this issue, but games can be really long. I still have great fun during my only PBEM with it, though, but our game was never completed.
Star Wars Rebellion and Sins of a Solar Empire also worked quite well for multiplayer (but juggling the UI of SW:R in MP was pure torture...).

Last edited:

Gostak

Educated
I enjoyed Starships Unlimited https://apezone.com/posts/201114/ free now!
There is a version 3 as well.

I really enjoy good diplomacy in such games and I heard SMAC is good at that.
But I do not like Civ's tendency to poop out one city after the next and having to manage all of these.

Remnants of the Precursors was a let down in the diplomacy category for me and I also hate the space monsters and Orion guardian being sooooo OP.
It is fun if another civ begs you to stop a war they started because you begin to take stuff from them (I managed so against the bear guys, but of course only because they were in more than one war).

Emperor of the Fading Suns seems nice but the scale and hence required time investment is too much for me. UI is also one that takes some getting used to.

Finally an occasion where this kinda fits ("proof" :p at 13m2s):

Play against a rather simplistic (but newbie challenging AI with this):
https://github.com/Quuxplusone/Homeworlds/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom